Is anyone losing or lost their enthusiasm for Cruising?

molly361

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Same thing with Brevard County.  Almost impossible to get through on the phone number (no choice but to call, nothing online to do so).   Finally got through and she said they are over booked.  Will put me on call back list...whenever it becomes available to even make an appointment.  

Guessing weeks maybe?  

Is Brevard County limited to residents?  Snowbirds and visitors are eligible here.

14 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Is Brevard County limited to residents?  Snowbirds and visitors are eligible here.

Not sure.  I know the form asks for address and have to show identification.  It would be a shame (IMHO) as a tax paying local county resident to have to wait in line with the tourists getting their vaccine at our county health department. 😞 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2020 at 11:27 AM, molly361 said:

Trying to stay excited for what will hopefully be our next cruise (May 2021) but my cruising enthusiasm seems to be diminishing as time goes on.  I would think it would be the opposite.  Even have a suite booked for this one but the thought of having to possibly get myself tested,  having to get the vaccine  and wear a mask is putting a real damper on things.  Anyone else feeling this way?  

No, for me it is just getting worse. Harder and harder to do my job as I am having a hard time "filling up my cup," so that I can continue to give to others. Not at the point of compassion fatigue yet, but it is out there on the horizon. 😢

• Like 2

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

Many snowbirds own homes in Florida too so should be eligible to receive the vaccine.

Home owning snowbirds that pay taxes yes.....tourists......no (IMHO).   

Being a tourist...(and not really following CDC guidelines of no traveling anyway), they should realize they will need to go home to get it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Home owning snowbirds that pay taxes yes.....tourists......no (IMHO).   

Being a tourist...(and not really following CDC guidelines of no traveling anyway), they should realize they will need to go home to get it.  

The only rebuttal I would provide is that the vaccine is being funded by the federal government not by state governments so, technically, it shouldn't really  matter where you pay those taxes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

In our area, local vaccines for general public 65+ begins today.  First come first serve, 1000 a day until they run out (they have enough for the second injection). People started camping out yesterday. It’s crazy. I’ll wait until I can get an appointment. 

I signed up with the VA to get mine when available. I saw my VA PCP yesterday and I knew more about the process than he did. 

M8

I havent heard anything like this here. Our newspaper had a list of who got vaccines and said call and see if any still had supplies lol. I got a address I can call today if goggle has their phone number, couldnt get more locations to come up. 

Seems disorganized to me here. I'm not surprised you knew more than your doctor. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The only rebuttal I would provide is that the vaccine is being funded by the federal government not by state governments so, technically, it shouldn't really  matter where you pay those taxes.

I can agree with that, but I believe that people who are comfortable with traveling should not take a reservation that could go to residents who have been restricted to their homes for nine months (so far).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I can agree with that, but I believe that people who are comfortable with traveling should not take a reservation that could go to residents who have been restricted to their homes for nine months (so far).  

I would not argue against your point at all. We had a hard enough time around here last summer. The influx of tourist coming for our beaches was not helpful in many ways.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Not all residents of Florida are currently in Florida.  So where should they get their vaccine?

My county (Broward-Ft. Lauderdale) just released the website address to schedule a vaccine appointment at one of three drive-up sites. I was on the site within minutes of the announcement.  I was able to schedule an appointment for my husband, but as I was trying to submit my appointment confirmation, the website crashed. I have been refreshing every two minutes, but the website is overloaded. Oh well, I will keep trying. 

1 minute ago, sandebeach said:

My county (Broward-Ft. Lauderdale) just released the website address to schedule a vaccine appointment at one of three drive-up sites. I was on the site within minutes of the announcement.  I was able to schedule an appointment for my husband, but as I was trying to submit my appointment confirmation, the website crashed. I have been refreshing every two minutes, but the website is overloaded. Oh well, I will keep trying. 

The one by me (Miami-Dade) is Mount Sinai and they are only taking appointments for 75+ from the general public for now, so I have to wait.  What age is Broward taking?  Is it only for Broward residents?

3 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

I was hoping the reservations could be made for the qualifying members of a household.

6 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Not all residents of Florida are currently in Florida.  So where should they get their vaccine?

I would suggest they get it in the area they are located, after the priority residents have received it (healthcare workers, elderly, those with underlying conditions).  Or when they return to Florida.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I was hoping the reservations could be made for the qualifying members of a household.

There was a place that said Number of people = 1. I tried to change that to 2, but could not change it. It would be so much easier if we can go together and get vaccinated at the same time. 

5 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

The one by me (Miami-Dade) is Mount Sinai and they are only taking appointments for 75+ from the general public for now, so I have to wait.  What age is Broward taking?  Is it only for Broward residents?

Age is 65 and older, and the website did not ask for mailing address, just an email and phone number. You did have to put in date of birth.

18 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I would suggest they get it in the area they are located, after the priority residents have received it (healthcare workers, elderly, those with underlying conditions).  Or when they return to Florida.

I think there is a gray line. My cousin who is older than me bought a condo in venice florida. Hes about 73 but does computer consulting and can work from home. He is wintering in venice, but files taxes in ohio as a corp and says no difference which state he claims tax wise ...but ohio is what his drivers license says.

So when the vaccine comes up he should have to drive to ohio to get it?

I think it's not a black or white issue  but gray. 

I sure dont get how florida can have it all set up but not texas. I'd sign up my folks and drive them to get it. 

Edited by firefly333

8 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

She won't be returning to Florida without a vaccine as she is 83 with underlying conditions and only left Florida to be near her sister on hospice.  She traveled north at the end of May and has not been travelling around as many on this forum have.  

I realize people want to get the vaccine as soon as they can but people need to look at the total picture.  Based on what people here have said, my Mom should not get a vaccine in NH as she is a resident of Florida.  She has owned her homes in both states for more than 30 years, but she is technically a resident of Florida.  It makes no sense for her to risk flying to Florida for her vaccine.

There are a lot of extenuating circumstances that should be honored.   Yes, your friend/family member certainly should definitely be able to get the vaccine, as well as Firefly’s cousin.  My objection is primarily the people who do not think the CDCs recommendation to stay home applies to them, but the recommendation that they are priority based on their age does.  Those who are comfortable with voluntary travel should also be comfortable with waiting until they have traveled back home for their turn.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

The vaccine itself may be funded by the government, yes.  Mine is offered by, and serviced by, our local county health department.  Someone has to pay for those facilities and the staff there that administers those shots.  It sure isn't the Feds.  😉 

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

This exactly ^.   

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

When they return home. 

Don't know of a lot of my neighbors that are spending long periods of time in the balmy temperatures of the north.  😉 

31 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

She won't be returning to Florida without a vaccine as she is 83 with underlying conditions and only left Florida to be near her sister on hospice.  She traveled north at the end of May and has not been travelling around as many on this forum have.  

I realize people want to get the vaccine as soon as they can but people need to look at the total picture.  Based on what people here have said, my Mom should not get a vaccine in NH as she is a resident of Florida.  She has owned her homes in both states for more than 30 years, but she is technically a resident of Florida.  It makes no sense for her to risk flying to Florida for her vaccine.

I don’t think your mom needs to wait to get home.  It’s a federal program not related to states. 

• Like 1