Is anyone losing or lost their enthusiasm for Cruising?

molly361

1 hour ago, sandebeach said:

My county (Broward-Ft. Lauderdale) just released the website address to schedule a vaccine appointment at one of three drive-up sites. I was on the site within minutes of the announcement.  I was able to schedule an appointment for my husband, but as I was trying to submit my appointment confirmation, the website crashed. I have been refreshing every two minutes, but the website is overloaded. Oh well, I will keep trying. 

It's nice you can do it online...or might be able to.  Our county is phone calls only, and that is all messed up from overload.  😞 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

It's nice you can do it online...or might be able to.  Our county is phone calls only, and that is all messed up from overload.  😞 

Hopefully they will fix the website. Broward Health system (the public hospital system in Broward) also announced that they will vaccinate seniors, but you have to call. I was trying to call all day yesterday, but only got a busy signal.  I understand your frustration.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

There are a lot of extenuating circumstances that should be honored.   Yes, your friend/family member certainly should definitely be able to get the vaccine, as well as Firefly’s cousin.  My objection is primarily the people who do not think the CDCs recommendation to stay home applies to them, but the recommendation that they are priority based on their age does.  Those who are comfortable with voluntary travel should also be comfortable with waiting until they have traveled back home for their turn.

Thanks for your clarifications. 🙂  I am just trying to point out that it is not black and white.  Where my Mom lives in NH has a lot of people who are staying the winter up north because they do not feel comfortable flying or driving to their other homes for the winter.  The only ones that are leaving that I know are those who will not follow the mask mandate and have been traveling and eating out the whole pandemic.  I am actually glad they are leaving today as they are my Mom's direct neighbor.

I hope you are able to get a vaccine soon. 🙂 

35 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

She won't be returning to Florida without a vaccine as she is 83 with underlying conditions and only left Florida to be near her sister on hospice.  She traveled north at the end of May and has not been travelling around as many on this forum have.  

I realize people want to get the vaccine as soon as they can but people need to look at the total picture.  Based on what people here have said, my Mom should not get a vaccine in NH as she is a resident of Florida.  She has owned her homes in both states for more than 30 years, but she is technically a resident of Florida.  It makes no sense for her to risk flying to Florida for her vaccine.

Obviously your Mom's case is totally different than tourists down here on a beach vacation for a week or two.  Those are the ones I am talking about.  Let the elderly residents get their vaccine first...not having to compete with the tourists here temporarily.   Those are the ones that need to go home to get the vaccine.  And since they were so nonchalant and confident that they won't get the virus...feeling safe traveling for vacation/pleasure...most likely they can afford to wait until they get home. 

Of course your Mom should get her vaccine up there where she is.  Totally different circumstance than being a tourist up there.  

Idk about the rest of you but its gets under my skin how politicians have moved themselves to the front of the line. I heard this morning, 2 staffers on each congressman are now allocated vaccines. Probably some newbie graduate age 25. Every time I see a politician stepping up to get the vaccine and acting noble I get mad. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Hopefully they will fix the website. Broward Health system (the public hospital system in Broward) also announced that they will vaccinate seniors, but you have to call. I was trying to call all day yesterday, but only got a busy signal.  I understand your frustration.

Now I am "on the list" to possibly get call back to get on the waiting list, from which they will call again (maybe) to give me an appointment.  😞 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Idk about the rest of you but its gets under my skin how politicians have moved themselves to the front of the line. I heard this morning, 2 staffers on each congressman are now allocated vaccines. Probably some newbie graduate age 25. Every time I see a politician stepping up to get the vaccine and acting noble I get mad. 

Well according to Joe...never mind I won't go there. 😇

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I am watching the MA Governor's daily update now and he just said he does not feel he or his staff should move to the front of the line.  He said they will wait until their turn comes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, island lady said:

The vaccine itself may be funded by the government, yes.  Mine is offered by, and serviced by, our local county health department.  Someone has to pay for those facilities and the staff there that administers those shots.  It sure isn't the Feds.  😉 

As with all tourist destinations, visitors use resources that have been funded by local tax payers. The trade off  is the money those visitors inject into the local economy. Hopefully, in the long run the tourists leave more money behind than the cost of the resources that they use.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, island lady said:

The vaccine itself may be funded by the government, yes.  Mine is offered by, and serviced by, our local county health department.  Someone has to pay for those facilities and the staff there that administers those shots.  It sure isn't the Feds.  😉 

Taxes generated from money spent by tourist/snowbirds? 😉

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

Taxes generated from money spent by tourist/snowbirds? 😉

Taxes from resident property taxes.  If you haven't figured it out yet by previous posts...each county is handling it quite differently.  

Snowbirds yes...if they own property down here....temporary tourists don't pay for county facilities.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Taxes from resident property taxes.  If you haven't figured it out yet by previous posts...each county is handling it quite differently.  

Snowbirds yes...if they own property down here....temporary tourists don't pay for county facilities.  

Is there such a thing as a permanent tourist?🤔😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, island lady said:

So the hotels, bars, restaurants, gift shops, and other touristy attractions don't have to pay any taxes to the county?  This is an honest question. In Tax-happy NY, pretty much every taxing jurisdiction - state, city, county, town, library, fire dept, etc get a slice of the money pie, whether it comes from a resident or tourist.

Besides, is this a critical issue?  Are there many people there on a long weekend or week-long vacation trying to cut the line to get vaccinated? When I'm on vacation, the last place I'm going is o the doctors office.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I saw on the news that a husband and wife each tried to call over 100 times and got nowhere.  Our county is starting for those over 65 WITHOUT a reservation.  What a cluster that is going to be.  Only 2 days Monday and Tuesday 1000 each day

• Like 1

Broward County website finally fixed and I was able to get an appointment for January 12. Just went back in to try and help my neighbor get an appointment and January is completely booked, appointments start second week of February. Does not look like you have to be a Broward resident, so if anyone is interested and needs the website, just google Broward Covid Vaccine. 

14 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I saw on the news that a husband and wife each tried to call over 100 times and got nowhere.  Our county is starting for those over 65 WITHOUT a reservation.  What a cluster that is going to be.  Only 2 days Monday and Tuesday 1000 each day

People in Lee County waited in line overnight to get the vaccine the next day.  Now Lee County is “working on an online reservation system”.  I did see that taking a folding chair with us when our turn comes might be a really good idea. 

7 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Because they were reckless. They believed it wouldn’t affect them. Only two had symptoms, two older brothers, one more so than the other. This was from an indoor early Christmas gathering earlier in the month. 

We haven’t seen my kids and grandkids since my birthday in June and they live less than an hour away.  And that was an outside pool event. 

I believe masks and social distancing are useful in help preventing infection. We wear ours where appropriate. We don’t eat out with large groups. Having said that, I don’t believe in a mask mandate. I do believe business may require them for access. 

We are responsible for us and so far it’s working. 

M8

I’m in the same situation as you. My parents live a mile away and I haven’t seen them since before Thanksgiving. The people around us at work are going out to unnecessary parties and getting sick. We haven’t been to a restaurant since October but that’s just because we haven’t had time and we have been cooking more. My son and wife have been tested at least 5 times since June because of co-workers being sick  So far so good. 

• Like 1