News about CC member tomc

RuthC

2 hours ago, Himself said:

I appreciate the link  Thanks for sharing the Death Notice.  I knew he was a second carrier man as I am.  He was a Holy Cross Brother and I was once a DeLaSalle Christian Brother.

as an aside.. I attended St Augustine High School in Brooklyn (NYC) way back in 1959-1963 with Christian Brothers (DeLaSalle)  ..unfortunately the school had closed  I believe in 1969 because of building deficiencies and became a NYC public school some time later.. a small world it is  🙂

😢 Thank you for sharing his tribute. What an impact he had on Cruise Critic; Live froms are what I like reading at bedtime to ease my way to sleep. They keep me going between cruises and bring me so much joy. Thank you, TomC! I don’t know if I ever read his as I didn’t consistently read CC back when he cruised. Could someone please share a link to some of his Live froms? I tried doing a Google search and couldn’t find any. I’d love to read them!

On 12/24/2020 at 6:21 PM, RuthC said:

Cruise Critic poster, avid cruiser, and (as far as anyone knows) originator of the "Live from" thread concept, tomc died today from covid-19. I was informed a couple of days ago that he was in the hospital, and on oxygen, and this morning that he was not expected to last the day. 

Tom always wanted to go out in a spectacular way. He once said something about wanting to be shot to death on the streets of NYC by a deranged Pope. Well, covid may not have been what he meant, but his timing was spectacular. He got to heaven in time for the big birthday party tomorrow, with the angels up all night singing hallelujah
. I'm sure he will appreciate the greeting.  

Tom was funny and creative. Definitely one of a kind. "Kind" being what he was most. 
He was the best friend I have ever had, and I will miss him terribly. 

I am sorry to hear this.

CP

2 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Could someone please share a link to some of his Live froms?

I did a search for his threads, or any of his posts, but didn't find anything from his cruises; perhaps they are too old, and have been archived? He last cruised in May/June 2013 (IIRC). 

You can search this forum for his name, and a post or two from Sept. '20 come up. Someone had wondered about him and he did reply there. Perhaps you could then trace through his name on that thread and find some of his musings. They were very good. His tales of 'Send Back Sally' were especially funny. 
'Sally' was a tablemate at dinner who sent her dinner back every single night. No matter what she ordered, or how many questions she asked before ordering, she was never pleased. 

On 12/30/2020 at 10:16 AM, Stakeout said:

as an aside.. I attended St Augustine High School in Brooklyn (NYC) way back in 1959-1963 with Christian Brothers (DeLaSalle)  ..unfortunately the school had closed  I believe in 1969 because of building deficiencies and became a NYC public school some time later.. a small world it is  🙂

I was in the Mid West

On 12/25/2020 at 9:40 PM, RuthC said:

We were not related; he was my friend. We 'met' on Cruise Critic, and later on a cruise. We found we had several things in common, and just 'clicked'. We were in frequent contact for years; less frequent contact in more recent years. 

Do you remember the date of the cruise where you were together?  I suspect he did a live thread then.

Roy

10 hours ago, RuthC said:

I did a search for his threads, or any of his posts, but didn't find anything from his cruises; perhaps they are too old, and have been archived? He last cruised in May/June 2013 (IIRC). 

You can search this forum for his name, and a post or two from Sept. '20 come up. Someone had wondered about him and he did reply there. Perhaps you could then trace through his name on that thread and find some of his musings. They were very good. His tales of 'Send Back Sally' were especially funny. 
'Sally' was a tablemate at dinner who sent her dinner back every single night. No matter what she ordered, or how many questions she asked before ordering, she was never pleased. 

I have met people like Sally - never happy with their meal and HAVE to substitute items at each meal.

When I was growing up, we always had two choices for dinner - eat what was on the table or go to bed hungry!

Edited by DaveOKC

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I found this googling "This Comes to You Live From the Maasdam"

Roy

1 hour ago, whogo said:

Thanks very much both of you.

You are cleverer than I.  I searched his CC posts with no luck.

Really appreciate you sharing these with us to enjoy one more time. 😄 

He brought a lot of joy to many people in his lifetime ❤️ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks very much both of you.

You are cleverer than I.  I searched his CC posts with no luck.

You are welcome. I did an advanced google search of boards.cruisecritic.com with search terms 'tomc' and 'live'. https://www.google.com/advanced_search

The Cruise Critic search function only goes back to the date of the big board update,

• Like 2

I must confess (now isn't that a very suitable opening statement!), that I had not heard of 'tomc' nor read any of his postings.  However, after reading page 1 of his 'Live from the Maasdam  -2010', I further confess that I am entranced.  What a wonderful writing style he had.  I am looking forward to reading as many of his threads as possible.

RIP tomc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Do you remember the date of the cruise where you were together?  I suspect he did a live thread then.

Roy

We met on the Rotterdam NYC to Montreal cruise September 12, 2002, but I see you have found several threads since then. Good work! 

You, and whogo, did so much better than I did searching; you are good! I searched Cruise Critic, and found individual posts back as 2004, but no threads he had started. I'm sure people who never read his threads will enjoy them. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Our condolences to his family and friends both in real life and "virtual".  He was exactly the person this community was created for:  loyal avid cruise who would share his knowledge and wit with others.

He'll be missed.

Laura

45 minutes ago, LauraS said:

45 minutes ago, LauraS said:

Thank you!

Dear Tom Carten:

May the angels lead you into paradise;

may the martyrs come to welcome you

and take you to the holy city,

the new and eternal Jerusalem

May the choirs of angels welcome you

and take you to bosem of Abraham;

and where Lazarus is poor no longer

may you find eternal life.

Rest in peace and thanks for the contributions and memories.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2021 at 4:35 PM, RuthC said:

Thank you for the tip! Oh how funny!