Question about itenary to Alaska on Rcl

The best Alaska itinerary on any cruise line is the one way between Vancouver and either Whittier or Seward. Either direction is good. Ideally, the itinerary would include Glacier Bay. I’m pretty sure you’d need to go with a different cruise line to get Glacier Bay, though, because it seems like Royal tried to get permits for it, and it didn’t work out. I could be wrong, though.

38 minutes ago, wareaglefan444 said:

I have never cruised on royal before, nor have I been to Alaska. I have been on 17 carnival cruises but want to try something different. If anyone has any suggestions about which Alaskan intenary is the best please comment.  Thanks in advance

Best is very subjective and depends on what you want from an Alaskan cruise.  

if you want to see the mist ports and possibly spend some time in Alaska then you should look at the one way north or southbound cruises. The trade off to this is that the ships are older and smaller, which MSN’s prefer. You also have added logistic issues with flying to o4 from Anchorage. 

if you want a new ship with easy transportation there are round trip itineraries out of Seattle.

there are options for everyone and no one answer will suit everyone. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Serenade of the Seas 2 glacier sailings, Vancouver round-trip so no long flight from Anchorage:

Sitka, Juneau, Ketchikan plus Hubbard AND Sawyer Glaciers

This is the one that intrigued me the most when I first looked , but then I kept looking and it all seemed overwhelming.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wareaglefan444 said:

This is the one that intrigued me the most when I first looked , but then I kept looking and it all seemed overwhelming.

Hands down the very best RCL itinerary available ... well ...  in my humble and sincere opinion 😉

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Serenade of the Seas 2 glacier sailings, Vancouver round-trip so no long flight from Anchorage:

Sitka, Juneau, Ketchikan plus Hubbard AND Sawyer Glaciers

I keep looking at this Sept sailing too...great prices and itinerary !!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wareaglefan444 said:

It's a lot cheaper for me to fly roundtrip to seattle. I looked into Vancouver and flying is more and more complicated.. I suppose there is still a bus or train you can take from seattle to vancouver. Added 2 nights in a hotel. The train is especially scenic but the times it leaves mean you had to stay overnight in seattle for me. I was taking SW out of dallas. The bus ride is cheaper but you dont get the same scenery over mountains or gorges or whatever. 

It's a lot simpler round trip out of seattle and a great ship right now, one of rcls newer ships, the quantum was doing the seattle route. 

There is no one best answer. Lol I did carnival miracle alaska, so I'm looking to do it on rcl next myself. It's a great cruise whichever you choose.

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It's a lot cheaper for me to fly roundtrip to seattle. I looked into Vancouver and flying is more and more complicated.. I suppose there is still a bus or train you can take from seattle to vancouver. Added 2 nights in a hotel. The train is especially scenic but the times it leaves mean you had to stay overnight in seattle for me. I was taking SW out of dallas. The bus ride is cheaper but you dont get the same scenery over mountains or gorges or whatever. 

It's a lot simpler round trip out of seattle and a great ship right now, one of rcls newer ships, the quantum was doing the seattle route. 

There is no one best answer. Lol I did carnival miracle alaska, so I'm looking to do it on rcl next myself. It's a great cruise whichever you choose.

It may be easier but JMHO a lot of time wasted cruising out/in Seattle to Alaska and the ports again JMHO aren't as good. I cruise for the Alaska ports and not the ship...and actually the Quantum class is one of my least favorites. But enjoy whatever works best for you.

8 minutes ago, Ashland said:

It may be easier but JMHO a lot of time wasted cruising out/in Seattle to Alaska and the ports again JMHO aren't as good. I cruise for the Alaska ports and not the ship...and actually the Quantum class is one of my least favorites. But enjoy whatever works best for you.

I've never done quantum, hence my desire. If you say it's not worth it I'll make your word.

27 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've never done quantum, hence my desire. If you say it's not worth it I'll make your word.

JMHO....other's might and probably will disagree...We have sailed on Anthem Canada/New England...Although I must say I loved the CL location...which may be a SL now.

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

I just wish RCI would let me book a suite with a refundable deposit...I don't believe you can.

You can book a suite with a refundable deposit but the price is 50 - 100% more.

Sept 4 Serenade. OS $4300pp NRD......$6300pp refundable. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

4 hours ago, wareaglefan444 said:

I have never cruised on royal before, nor have I been to Alaska. I have been on 17 carnival cruises but want to try something different. If anyone has any suggestions about which Alaskan intenary is the best please comment.  Thanks in advance

Alaska is wonderful and everyone has very strong opinions.  My suggestion is to set your priorities and choose the cruise that does most of what is important to you.  Some won't do Royal Caribbean to Alaska since they don't go Glacier Bay.  If the is important to you, start looking at other cruise lines.  We wanted to see Denali and do a land tour as well as a cruise, so we chose Radiance.  We did two days on our own in the Anchorage area then flew to Fairbanks, did a 4 day cruise tour with two days in Denali.  Cruise tour ended in Seward and we did a 7 night south bound cruise on Radiance followed by two days in Vancouver.  Was a wonderful time and will do it again when we have that much time to get away.

We are currently scheduled on Quantum roundtrip Seattle for May 2021, but doubt it will sail.  Quantum is a great ship for a cold itinerary and has lots of food and entertainment options.  Itinerary is Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier, and Victoria.  Quantum does a couple different itineraries.  Ovation is also sailing from Seattle and is the sister ship to Quantum.

Serenade round trip Vancouver is a good choice too.  

There are lots of reviews in the Alaska port of call forum that will give you an idea of the ships and the ports.  There are a bunch in this forum too.  Do what works best for you and your budget because you can't do it all.  

13 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Alaska is wonderful and everyone has very strong opinions.  My suggestion is to set your priorities and choose the cruise that does most of what is important to you.  Some won't do Royal Caribbean to Alaska since they don't go Glacier Bay.  If the is important to you, start looking at other cruise lines.  We wanted to see Denali and do a land tour as well as a cruise, so we chose Radiance.  We did two days on our own in the Anchorage area then flew to Fairbanks, did a 4 day cruise tour with two days in Denali.  Cruise tour ended in Seward and we did a 7 night south bound cruise on Radiance followed by two days in Vancouver.  Was a wonderful time and will do it again when we have that much time to get away.

We are currently scheduled on Quantum roundtrip Seattle for May 2021, but doubt it will sail.  Quantum is a great ship for a cold itinerary and has lots of food and entertainment options.  Itinerary is Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier, and Victoria.  Quantum does a couple different itineraries.  Ovation is also sailing from Seattle and is the sister ship to Quantum.

Serenade round trip Vancouver is a good choice too.  

There are lots of reviews in the Alaska port of call forum that will give you an idea of the ships and the ports.  There are a bunch in this forum too.  Do what works best for you and your budget because you can't do it all.  

Hi.

What do you mean when you say that the

"Quantum is a great ship for a cold itinerary"

1 minute ago, mrpie90 said:

Hi.

What do you mean when you say that the

"Quantum is a great ship for a cold itinerary"

Quantum has an indoor Solarium with a pool plus it also has an indoor family pool.  Instead of an outdoor sports court, Quantum has the Seaplex which is used for all sorts of activities from basketball and volleyball to bumper cars and trapeze school.  270 is a beautiful view at the aft of the ship that has great shows but is also a great place to sit and watch the scenery with a nice drink.  

On other classes of ships, lots of activities are centered on the pool deck, Quantum class ships have more activities centered on venues inside.  

Thank you for your reply.

Have sailed on quite a few Royal ships but never on Quantum class.

We are taking our 11 year old Granddaughter on an Alaska cruise and was 

Wondering how to keep her occupied  ( I'm bored )

Does it have an indoor Splash zone?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mrpie90 said:

As I recall there is an indoor splash zone.

43 minutes ago, mrpie90 said:

No indoor splash zone but there is lots to keep your granddaughter busy on Quantum.  Seaplex has ping pong tables, video games, and lots of other stuff that happens on the court.  There is also Northstar and iFly that she might like.  We love that class of ship!