The Daily for Friday Jan 1, 2021 -- Happy New Year!!!

richwmn

5 minutes ago, ClippyJoe said:

I guess I should start the New Year with a clean slate. I'm another lurker. I love reading this page every morning.

A great start to the New Year.  Welcome Aboard!

Roy

• Like 8

Happy New Year to all.  We celebrate New Years on Edinburgh, Scotland time so there is no need to stay up late.  A couple of the neighbors set off fireworks at midnight that woke us up but they didn't last too long, so back to sleep we went.

We opted for leftovers yesterday and will have two nice meals today.  Oyster stew for lunch and then steak with mushroom sauce and broccoli for dinner. 

Looking forward to continuing enjoying this wonderful thread each day.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, surfcitygirl said:

Another "lurker" checking in. Have been following all year long and really appreciate all the time involved in keeping this going every day. Makes me feel like a part of the community. Blessings to all for 2021.

Welcome! This is so exciting! Rich, we need a bigger room!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Happy New Year to all -- although it is a gray and rainy start here, I have hope that it will be an improvement over 2020.  🍾🤞

We have no special New Years plans today; will just enjoy the three-day weekend before getting back to work schedules in earnest.

StLouisCruisers:  Amazing photos. I also love that boat -- it looks like something that Shackleton would've used. I hope you don't mind me adding some imaginary captions to a few of your penguin photos:

"Look Rose:  I'm the king of the world!!"

enhance

"Morty, I TOLD you to de-ice the driveway!  You're going to break a hip!"

enhance

"Awww, mom. Not fish AGAIN. We had it yesterday!"

enhance

• Like 13
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, jodi58 said:

Lurker here!

I only recently discovered this thread and it is wonderful!  Brings a smile every day, thanks for doing this and Happy New Year to all.

No hangover here but glad to toss 2020 to the curb.

We are also having our traditional tourtière today, also passed down by my Mémère❤️ Also making her sucre à la crème.

Stay healthy all!

Jo.

Welcome, Jo! Any chance you would be willing to share your recipe? I keep trying to find “the one”.

And thank you for posting the French words with the correct accents. Some programs do that automatically for me, but not this time. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Happy New Year to all -- although it is a gray and rainy start here, I have hope that it will be an improvement over 2020.  🍾🤞

We have no special New Years plans today; will just enjoy the three-day weekend before getting back to work schedules in earnest.

StLouisCruisers:  Amazing photos. I also love that boat -- it looks like something that Shackleton would've used. I hope you don't mind me adding some imaginary captions to a few of your penguin photos:

"Look Rose:  I'm the king of the world!!"

enhance

"Morty, I TOLD you to de-ice the driveway!  You're going to break a hip!"

enhance

"Awww, mom. Not fish AGAIN. We had it yesterday!"

enhance

You are so funny!  We are both laughing here at your comments.  Keep it up!  We all need more laughter.

• Like 10

Good morning everyone. Happy and healthy 2021 for everyone. This is one year I won’t forget to write the correct date on any checks I issue.

No hangover this morning. Last night we zoomed with our neighbors in our development, then watched Begin Again on Netflix and finished up by zooming with the friends we’ve spent 53 NYE with and watching the ball drop in an empty Times Square.

Sam picked up a beautiful cake for his birthday tomorrow and he lit the candles on it so we could sing Happy Birthday to him with our zoom friends. The cake was supposed to be a prop for our zoom party with family tomorrow, but it looked so great we actually ate some last night.

I am so happy 2020 is gone. This has to be a better year.

Nice to see the lurkers come out of hiding to post. 

• Like 19

I've been lurking for months because each day deserves a helping of your caring and sharing. Thanks to Rich and Roy for all your efforts.

Now that January is here, I'll miss the blogs from the World Cruise. They always helped to get us through a gray Michigan winter.

Vaccines are starting slowly here. We can't wait!!!

Good health to all in '21.

Cheers,

Sandy

• Like 19

42 minutes ago, baltic17 said:

Happy New Year to all.  We celebrate New Years on Edinburgh, Scotland time so there is no need to stay up late.  A couple of the neighbors set off fireworks at midnight that woke us up but they didn't last too long, so back to sleep we went.

We opted for leftovers yesterday and will have two nice meals today.  Oyster stew for lunch and then steak with mushroom sauce and broccoli for dinner. 

Looking forward to continuing enjoying this wonderful thread each day.

What a great idea! We must start celebrating New Years on our German hometown time. I love it

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Cruisin Two said:

I've been lurking for months because each day deserves a helping of your caring and sharing. Thanks to Rich and Roy for all your efforts.

Now that January is here, I'll miss the blogs from the World Cruise. They always helped to get us through a gray Michigan winter.

Cheers,

Sandy

Welcome! If I stand in the right spot on the Canadian side of lake saint Clair I could wave to you.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, Cruisin Two said:

Cheers,

Sandy

Welcome aboard

Roy

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Welcome, Jo! Any chance you would be willing to share your recipe? I keep trying to find “the one”.

And thank you for posting the French words with the correct accents. Some programs do that automatically for me, but not this time. 

I don’t mind sharing but I don’t have a recipe per se.... I will check my old recipe folder... might have it somewhere😄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The closest I've ever had to a traditional New Years meal, is when I was young. It always seemed to snow - finally  - for NY day- the day before having to return to school. We get our sleds out and go to one of the nearby hills for the afternoon. When we got home - there was always a big pot of homemade chili - just waiting for us. ❤️

Thanks for all the kind and thoughtful posts today.

• Like 17

56 minutes ago, Cruisin Two said:

Cheers,

Sandy

Welcome Sandy!

• Like 3

My New Years sunrise is not as spectacular as I would like.  It seems to be a bit of a lovely sunrise but just a bit of it showing around the bow of the Ryndam.  Perhaps a bit like 2021 shows a lot of promise, if just we can get rid of the  baggage from 2020.  I expect a nasty start to 2021 but light at the end of the tunnel.

dawn0101.jpg

Roy

• Like 23

Good morning, all, and Happy New Year! We stayed up to midnight and went out on the balcony. There were at least three firework displays we could see, and a lot of people ringing bells and shouting. A lot of people wanted to watch last year leave town. It DOES feel good to be able to refer to it as last year, doesn’t it?

Dinner tonight is tenderloin steak, baked potato, Caesar salad and wine. I’m adding scallops for a version of surf n’ turf. DH doesn’t like scallops, so I’ll take one for the team and eat his share for him. He also doesn’t drink wine, so I’ll help him out here, too. There is no limit to the sacrifices I make for the one I love. 😉

Thank you so much Rich, and Roy, and everyone who’s contributions make this a wonderful place to start each day. Here’s to a full year of Daily cheer to come in 2021!

And to begin 2021, a Happy Friday elevator mat from the Amsterdam!

74CD2297-BA81-4EA2-852A-E51B86BCC220.jpeg

• Like 22

Happy New Year to all of us, and hopefully new beginnings of normal living! (Including cruising!)  No hangovers here today (maybe tomorrow), we had an early night, after a couple of Pat's favourite bedtime stories (Hogan's Heroes) and hearing a few lonely fire crackers.  Tonight will be a chicken pot pie I noticed in the freezer.  And prosecco, to remind us of cruising.

A long time ago, when we lived in Virginia, there was a Dr. Tarnauer, who developed a diet (the precursor to the Atkins Diet) and we have followed it faithfully for two weeks in January every year.  We also "go dry" in January, so the home made wine will have an extra month to age.

Jacqui,  @kazu,  we have the same china!  Actually, it's my mother's china, but as we sold our good china when we moved, I have been using hers.  Your table looks lovely, very appetizing.  I have never prepared oysters in any way, but I do love them.  @VMax1700, have you eaten at "The Speckled Door", they had the most amazing oysters?

@richwmn, Rich, and  @rafinmd, Roy, and everyone else, you have all made this past year a little bit easier and friendlier!  I do hope we can all cruise together sometime.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Happy and Healthy New Year to all!

No hangover here. I was making sourdough bread during the countdown to midnight.

I'm making pork and sauerkraut, which is a traditional New Year's Day Pennsylvania Dutch/German meal. I grew up with a Mom from the South, so it was black-eyed peas and collards then. Also a New Year's Pretzel is traditional for right after midnight in Pittsburgh (pull apart, no cutting! I don't know why, lol).

Prayers for all who need support. Cheers to all who are celebrating.

Hoping for a healthier 2021. I'm on immunosuppressants for uveitis, so I've been mostly inside since March. I live alone and no pets, so it was lonely until I found you all!

NYE pretzel.jpg

• Like 25

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

No hangover here either, I stayed up until 11:30 but was awake until the last of the fireworks ended sometime after midnight.  We always turn up the sound machine on the 4th of July and NYE but it really doesn't cover the noise.  Right around midnight it really sounded like a ton of rocks rumbling in our dryer.  This is one time I really didn't mind though, good riddance 2020!  😄

Our Trout Almondine was very tasty last night -- no traditional meal for New Years Day, tonight we'll be having chicken fried rice and salad.  @dfishDebbie we're having deviled eggs this afternoon before dinner, I don't know why but I have a craving for them today.  Maybe because my sister always makes them for Christmas and this year I couldn't see her...

Here's a photo of our youngest grandson "kicking 2020 out".  I should have thought to take the stuffie out from under his shirt, this makes him look a bit deformed LOL!!  I brought the sign and left it there for the boys to rip up, whatever they wanted.  We had a good afternoon playing outside with them, our last visit of 2020.  

Shep 2020.jpg

• Like 20

Happy New Year! We did use holiday table cloths and napkins for our evening meals this season but left the china and silver for a time when few more can gather around our table.  Great leftovers today, and DH has a huge ham ready to prepare for the weekend and the first week of 2021. Life IS a daring adventure!! Thanks to all for the good wishes, good cheer and prayers to start the year.

• Like 14

Happy New Year everyone!

When I was a kid, we always had pork roast and sauerkraut on New Year's Day. Many years ago Mitzi and I switched to Hoppin' John. I will also make cornbread and try my hand at collard greens. 

I punted on the idea of grilling last night and had baked salmon instead. We are supposed to get near 40F on Monday and decided to save the steaks until then.

We cracked open the Prosecco at 11 pm our time and watched the NY ball drop. I wasn't sure we would last until midnight! We also watched the Auckland and Sydney fireworks on You Tube - very impressive!

How about a Key West butterfly or two to get 2021 started on the right foot?

DSC_0129.thumb.JPG.1ce247c7d5cf6e668915a49e8b05e7b4.JPG

DSC_0132.thumb.JPG.47bf86def8126d44916e88b3cbdbecc3.JPG

• Like 20

17 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Also a New Year's Pretzel is traditional for right after midnight in Pittsburgh (pull apart, no cutting! I don't know why, lol).

I grew up in Pittsburgh and this is new to me! I'll be nebby and ask yinz for details!

• Like 9