The Daily for Friday Jan 1, 2021 -- Happy New Year!!!

richwmn

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

I would like to thank everyone who makes this thread possible. Each one of you is a part of the success. I hope all the lurkers will check in an let us know who they are, for they are part of it as well.

Here's to a great New Year with cruises restarting as soon as possible.

edited to add --

The Daily gets over a thousand views most days. Yesterday was 2.3 thousand -- as far as I know the most we have had.

Rich

God Bless you for starting it and keeping it going during these trying times   

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, jodi58 said:

Tourtière Québécoise

1  1/2 lb minced pork

1 small chopped onion

1 clove garlic minced

1/2  teaspoon salt, 1/2  teaspoon savory

1/4 teaspoon celery salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, I put a bit more.

1/2 cup  beef bouillon 

1 small grated potato

cook all ingredients in saucepan till thickened and meat is fully cooked, about 30 min. 

cool mixture, then spoon in pastry lined pie plate, cover with top crust, brush with egg wash and make 4 or 5 slits on top.

Bake at 400 F ,  around 20 minutes covered, another 15 minutes uncovered or until golden brown.

Note:  ground beef/veal/pork mix can also be used , or any of the three.

the original ,however, is pork only.

this recipe is by memory😄 herbs and spices quantity are to taste.

Jo, thank you so much! Now I have two to try. 

• Like 5

Good afternoon and Happy New Year!

Our year is off to a snowy start.

2112946950_NewYearsnow.thumb.jpg.16cc088bdef80287cae78f36bbba1362.jpg

Looks like 5 or 6 inches by the time it ends. The weather has decided for us that it's a good day for a pot of chicken and noodles this afternoon.

Wishing everyone a wonderful start to a much better year.

Lori & George

• Like 20

Forgot to mention, we did not hear any fireworks 💥 last night either.  After thinking about, we don’t remember seeing any for sale.  Normally, the big box store north of us has a ton for sale.  In the past, the 🎆 would start shortly after sunset.  It could be they weren’t for sale because southwest Arizona like southern California is experiencing severe drought conditions.  None of us needs a wildfire now, if ever.  Since March or April, this area has received about 3/100 th of an inch of rain.

On another note, we did not see any live trees 🌲 for sale around here either.  

Lenda

• Like 11

Another "lurker " here reporting !  Thank you again Rich , Roy and the many contributors for keeping the Daily going . As noted before I keep reading this post almost daily enjoy the stories from some of our cruise friends we have met on different cruises  and the  looking at the many beautiful pictures . 
I am also most interested of where the HAL ships are .

Our thoughts today are with our family and friends and this day in particular with all of the crews at sea away from their families . We wish you all a Happy New Year , bless you all and be safe . 

A toast to all of you ! 

IMG_4384.thumb.JPG.b270a3819674b5e99aada7c58149823c.JPG

DW made a favorite Dutch treat  , Oliebollen  ! 

Love the  many pictures of the Antarctica cruises , one of our favourite cruises so here a couple of mine .

IMG_4387.JPG

P2090108.JPG

P2090453.JPG

P2090472.JPG

P2090004.JPG

Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 28

Happy New Year!

We made it to midnight and saw the old year out and the new year in.  As soon as the clock struck 12 the fireworks went off in the neighbourhood.  

For years our New Year's Day dinner consisted of ham, scalloped potatoes, corn bread and a variety of side dishes.  This year I could not find a ham, so the menu has changed.  Tonight we will be feasting on roast beef, Yorkshire puddings, and a variety of vegetables.  If that is not enough we will finish off with carrot cake, if I get it baked.

All the best to everyone for a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2021.

Cheers,

Val

• Like 16

When we were in Antarctic waters we found all the animals and birds seemed to be unafraid of us, and curious.

The "King" chicks were all over the place on South Georgia.

329804749_Whatisthisintruder.thumb.jpeg.0612943295a300da293011579eb3f13f.jpegP1010067.thumb.jpeg.51663594142ee2b44991e7b572604a41.jpeg

And the "weaners" (the elephant seal pups whose mothers had left them alone on the beach while they went back to sea) were so curious and just wanted love..P1010116.thumb.jpeg.5e4adfa5d81b9d900ea3d1f2e6113866.jpeg

P1030098.thumb.jpeg.527eea0bc2a24afef78dc33426a09b18.jpeg

• Like 26

There was a bull elephant seal who fell in love with one of the zodiacs - the guides were nervous that he would damage it, so they had to bravely go in and shoo him away.

2061097506_P10101212.thumb.jpeg.22bc93b88b0913e0b477a41317a32306.jpeg

The penguins didn't mind posing for the photographers.

P1030231.thumb.jpeg.dac4a14d55944cb0ed84978b276989a6.jpeg

• Like 24

1 hour ago, GeorgesGal said:

Dinner tonite will be fresh ahi tuna seared in sesame oil with sesame seeds, angel hair pasta with green onions - scallions - more sesame oil and seeds, and a salad.  Oh on this thread I don't even need to mention wine.  Of course, it goes without saying, doesn't it.

Yum!  You can never have too much sesame oil. 😍

And yes, most of us do love our wine. 😄

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Usually, it takes me a day or two to get around to changing the calendars, but not this year.  The old ones were in the trash and the new ones up hung up by 12:20 am. 😀 👏

I have you beat, I changed all the calendars in the house yesterday afternoon. 🤣  Could not wait! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

There was a bull elephant seal who fell in love with one of the zodiacs - the guides were nervous that he would damage it, so they had to bravely go in and shoo him away.

2061097506_P10101212.thumb.jpeg.22bc93b88b0913e0b477a41317a32306.jpeg

The penguins didn't mind posing for the photographers.

P1030231.thumb.jpeg.dac4a14d55944cb0ed84978b276989a6.jpeg

Ha!  Thanks for the photos of your trip.  That elephant seal is HUGE!  I would be afraid of damage too.

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

DW made a favorite Dutch treat  , Oliebollen  ! ..........................................

Can't go wrong with Oliebollen on New Year's Eve, Tony, Happy New Year and stay safe!

Well, on second thought, you can add Appelflappen 😉 

History of oliebollen: why do we eat them with New Year's Eve? - Teller  Report

Appelflappen - Foodaholic.nl

• Like 17

13 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Can't go wrong with Oliebollen on New Year's Eve, Tony, Happy New Year and stay safe!

Well, on second thought, you can add Appelflappen 😉 

History of oliebollen: why do we eat them with New Year's Eve? - Teller  Report

Appelflappen - Foodaholic.nl

Dat zijn appel beignets...

• Like 6

Really don't have a meal on New Year's Day. Put out platters with cheeses, summer sausage, pimento cheese spread and crackers when Rose Bowl Parade starts. Keep refilling as needed until the last football game.

No parade this year, but there was a 2-hour celebration of it with clips from past parades.

Actually saw the 1964 parade after spending the night across from the NBC cameras. Illinois beat Washington in the game. Most memorable moment: We put our linebacker (Dick Butkus) in at center for one touchdown from the 1-yard line. QB just followed him across.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

have you eaten at "The Speckled Door", they had the most amazing oysters?

They also do pretty great crab sandwiches!  One summer, many, many years ago we stayed in a caravan (RV) down there at Garrettstown.   

• Like 8