The Daily for Friday Jan 1, 2021 -- Happy New Year!!!

richwmn

Although I’ve only posted a couple of times on the Daily, I’ve read everyone’s posts since this pandemic began so many months ago. Thanks to everyone for making the Daily such a warm community that we can visit to share our thoughts.  Because postings on the HAL board slowed down due to the lack of cruises, I started reviewing the boards for Princess, Celebrity, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean and Carnival just to see what’s going on.  Quickly I learned these other boards have nothing as uplifting as “our” Daily postings.  We all owe Rich, Roy and all the other regular contributors a special thanks for creating a bright spot we can visit each and every day.

• Like 19

27 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Dat zijn appel beignets...

You are correct of course; the Frenchies liked them so much they had to copy them and put them inside beignets

Here are the flappen

Happy New Year Meneer de Hagenaar!

Appelflappen (Dutch Apple Fritters)

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@cat shepard An originally Canadian chef I follow recently posted this recipe for tourtière.

https://bluejeanchef.com/recipes/french-canadian

Ooh, thank you. How interesting, this one has tomatoes. I do not believe my memere’s had tomatoes. But this sounds delicious. 

• Like 3

Well, Day 1 is drawing to a close over here.  Not much to report, vaccinations seem to be rolling out slowly everywhere.

We had roast leg of lamb, with roast potatoes, carrots, roast parsnip, and roast garlic  ( i love garlic so if we ever meet do be sure to stay up wind of me! 😬), followed by lemon meringue pie. 

the wine was Condado de Orizo Gran Reserva 2011 Ribera del Duero.  Cheers/clink clink!.  It is a gorgeous wine to drink with red meat.  I am now down to my last 6 bottles so it will be rationed.

Last night we had pizza with rioja!

@ger_77  sorry for not replying last night but by 12.30 we had gone to bed - we are HAL cruisers and the sleep deprivation would be too much for us!

@kazu I love manchego cheese, with a little drop of onion marmalade on top.  It is one of the tapas we would normally have on Christmas Day while waiting for the family to arrive.

Happy New Year to everyone and Hello and Welcome to all the lurkers who have joined in.

Finally @rafinmd and @richwmn - Thank you so much for continuing this thread.  Your dedication is appreciated across the cruise world.

• Like 21

8 hours ago, richwmn said:

Meal suggestion for today - No meal suggestion for today. Many families have a traditional New Years Day meal, what's yours?

This will be a bit of a rambling escapade starting with New Years Eve.  How does a teetotaling diabetic toast New Years.  Juice but I don't typically drink it or keep it.  I ended up at lunch time in the McDonald's Drive Through for a Happy Meal--McNuggets, kid's fries, apple slices, and apple juice.  Lunch included the fries and apple slices along with cheese and crackers and skim milk.  Back in mid-October I noticed one of Rich's menu suggestions:

On 10/14/2020 at 6:42 AM, richwmn said:

Meal Suggestion for today - Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole

I kind of bastardized that with instant rice, chopped up McNuggets, and a few vegetables in the microwave:

IMG_8951.JPG.a57c94a84260d1fecd1d37feac0

That's become a hit and I've done that a few times since, including last night, except for using corn instead of peas and carrots.  I used 2 of the McNuggets with the other 2 in the freezer.  I toasted the New Year with the apple juice.

I dozed off a bit in the evening but fortunately did wake up long enough to have the lists ready for morning, as they were needed immediately when I woke up.

I'm not off to a very good start on 2021.  Baltimore observes Purple Fridays during the football season.  After my morning walk I stopped off at Dunkin Donuts drive through for my coffee and Purple Donut but absent mindedly drove away before the donut came.

My normal holiday meal is a ham steak, and that's waiting in the freezer for tonight.

Roy

• Like 21

I am wishing everyone a Happy,Safe and Healthy New Year.

When I was growing up our traditional New Years day dinner was ham hocks, black eyed peas and collard greens.  After I married the New Years day dinner was usually Hot Dogs with chili for the kids and with sauerkraut for hubby and me.

Reading through todays posts I am reminded how little I know about food. I had to use google so many times to see what you'all were talking about.

It is a great learning experience but unfortunately I am not a decent cook and I am to lazy to ever become one.

Jane

• Like 15

Can't go wrong with Oliebollen on New Year's Eve, Tony, Happy New Year and stay safe!

Well, on second thought, you can add Appelflappen 😉

Here are the flappen

Happy New Year Meneer de Hagenaar!

That's better Meneer van Amsterdam. Happy New Year @Copper10-8 Take Care , Be Well .
Will have to show DW how to make these next year ! 

Appleflappen-Dutch-Apple-Fritters_site.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I have you beat, I changed all the calendars in the house yesterday afternoon. 🤣  Could not wait! 

I don’t blame you.  I thought about changing them off and on all week, but resisted the urge until today.  Just couldn’t wait much past midnight.

• Like 4

Thanks for this thread.  I read occasionally but I will try to the check in more often.  I am usually on the RC boards but it is very nice here.  I have only been on HAL a few times but really enjoyed it.  Mostly travel RC and Cunard.

Happy New Year to all and may we start sailing again soon.  Katherine

Edited by Lady Hudson
  • Like 14

Hi everyone! 

I am another one of the lurkers or occassional posters, but I have vowed to do better in 2021. 

A few days ago I promised to post pictures from my Australia trip on the Maasdam a year ago now. 

On New Year's Day we were at sea and nothing much happened that I can recall. So I will use my pictures from the day before. 

On New Year's Eve day we were in Kangaroo Island.  I was worried that the private tour I had booked would be cancelled because I had received an email from them about the temporary closure of the Flinders Chase Nat'l Park due to danger of bush fires.  But by the day we arrived it had reopened, so it was a wonderful way to end 2019.  One of the best tours I have ever had.  Sadly, a day later much of the island was burned by the fires. After I returned from the trip, I found pictures online showing several of the sites after the fire.  At Flinders Chase Park I took a picture of the visitor center which was a unique, round-shaped building.  I found a similar picture of it online, but totally burned. So sad.  20191231_115256.thumb.jpg.47cc33b901a582e5d8bc2be9cf396df8.jpg

20191231_121224.thumb.jpg.6a2eed1f97ce64a1c7405c6378c0f015.jpg

This is "Remarkable Rocks" (above)

20191231_111340.thumb.jpg.b9dd0f92b1326ef64e8c0a2ed718a37f.jpg

This is the picture I took of the visitor center. (above)

1002220535_KIflinderschaseafterfire.png.274dcd8d6ff3d7558a0e6563ada0f734.png

And above is a picture of the same visitor center after the fire.

20191231_132542.thumb.jpg.0a653ae9d0f6ea703e0979372193ec2a.jpg

20191231_222907.thumb.jpg.554c591f71e8db060dddc2d245f597db.jpg

20191231_230326.thumb.jpg.878d0b2f3087bd8a794d6fb7a2e0a914.jpg

Happy New Year, everyone!  I have really enjoyed all of the positive comments and stories I read here each day.  I promise to post more.

Janet

Edited by Red Haired Lady
  • Like 23

Happy New Year to everyone on the Daily Thread. May the blessings bestowed upon you be many, and may health, joy and love be yours today and throughout the year. 

1 hour ago, sailingdutchy said:

DW made a favorite Dutch treat  , Oliebollen  !  .

IMG_4387.JPG

Our local diner sold these the last couple of weeks. Yummm.

We've started the year with a dreary and rainy day. Sitting close to 0ºC, it makes for slippery roads, but no one is going out, so it doesn't matter. 😉 We had pork chops last night for dinner because the Chinese restaurant was taking orders for 10:00 in the early afternoon. Tonight, it is sweet and sour meatballs with rice. And wine.

I'm hopeful for 2021, although the only travelling will be to Newfoundland, with hopes that DD can travel from Egypt in the summer with my granddaughter. Fingers crossed both can happen.

Blessings to all!

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask!  😷

• Like 20

And very Happy News Years to you too, Rich!  Thank you for all the hard work you do to make The Daily a little place of paradise!

I have a resolution for 2021:  my resolution for this year is to get on a DAM cruise!!

L.

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Thanks for this thread.  I read occasionally but I will try to the check in more often.  I am usually on the RC boards but it is very nice here.  I have only been on HAL a few times but really enjoyed it.  Mostly travel RC and Cunard.

Happy New Year to all and may we start sailing again soon.  Katherine

Welcome M’lady!

• Like 7

Happy New Year All!

We have a lovely, clear day in SoCal. Just got back from our New Years group fun ride. We had spectacular views with the snow covered mountains to the north, local mountains East and the ocean to the south. Catalina Island looked quite close. Our turn around point was the beach- in the sand. The tide was high.

FD56567C-E51C-4C62-B03F-99D9DB1ED07A.jpeg
You can see some of the burn area in the picture above.

C065974D-9CA3-4485-9D6F-70BFE66DA3D0.jpeg

1A5D86AF-7A0B-4A25-8311-B909491BA368.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 17

On 1/1/2021 at 12:34 PM, StLouisCruisers said:

@Host Katany chance you could review and release my post on page 2 that is hidden? 

Done. 

As for what causes certain words, phrases, company names, links, etc. to become triggers for the software's Approval Queue feature, just remember it is how they were used by someone in the past that later causes this situation for others.

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Well, Day 1 is drawing to a close over here.  Not much to report, vaccinations seem to be rolling out slowly everywhere.

@kazu I love manchego cheese, with a little drop of onion marmalade on top.  It is one of the tapas we would normally have on Christmas Day while waiting for the family to arrive.

Happy New Year Colin 😄 

We love Manchego and Iberico cheese.  Love Spanish cheese, period 😉

We are having more tonight with my homemade lobster chowder.  Hopefully it tastes as good as it looks. 🤞 

We have a storm coming in tomorrow with high wind warnings so, in case we lose power we can reheat in the microwave thanks to the generator.  

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Host Kat said:

Done. 

As far as what causes certain words, phrases, company names, links, etc. to become triggers for the software's Approval Queue feature, just remember it is how they were used by someone in the past that later causes this situation for others.

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Wow, that is so strange!  I wonder what word was used?  Anyway, thanks so much!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I don’t blame you.  I thought about changing them off and on all week, but resisted the urge until today.  Just couldn’t wait much past midnight.

I totally confess I changed our calendar last week.  After all the last few days of December were on it 😉 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We headed back to the Quest ready to enjoy the remainder of our New Year's Day.  Shortly thereafter we noticed the Zaandam far off in the distance. enhance

At about 5 pm we were told to come out to the pool deck to see the Polar Plunge event.  Hopefully the pool water was good and cold, especially after we'd thrown the ice blocks in it two days earlier. 🥶I went out to watch from the deck above, all bundled up and for good measure a lap blanket wrapped around my lower half.  Meanwhile our brave Captain was the first one out there to take a flying leap into the pool.  He has that thick Nordic blood you know...enhance

Yep, there he went!  Everyone else crept out in their thick robes, tossed them off and jumped in with him.  Meanwhile I was shivering outside because I didn't have my parka on, only my puffy coat.  Thank goodness the sun had come out this afternoon though.enhance

There is our Captain egging on the participants to stay in a little longer.  While he is standing there soaking wet with temperatures in the 30's.  enhance

The wonderful staff brought out some warm mulled wine which hopefully helped to warm up these frozen individuals.  enhance

Most of them hopped into the hot tubs to thaw themselves out, but not the Captain.  He simply donned his robe and chatted with onlookers.  He was probably still barefoot too!enhance

The weather looked fine here but we were told there was a low coming and we would be leaving Antarctica to try to get to South Georgia Island ahead of it.  Farewell Antarctica!  enhance

Now that my second Antarctica post is approved you can either go back to page 2, post 37 to see it or read it here by expanding the quote above.  Sorry for all the trouble this causes.  I'm not sure what word some person had used in the past to cause this trouble.  

• Like 11