The Crew Getting Vaccinated

miched

1 minute ago, hcat said:

Friends in Ft Myers Fl ( here 50 % of year, homeowners and taxpayers) lucked out and  got their 1st dose and have appt for second dose. If they were in  NY they would never have a chance.

Very diff priorities up there!

Newspapers  today reported Srs sleeping in their cars overnight in Citrus Co  Fl,  so they could be in line for a 9 am first come first served drive through clinic.  Others arrived at 8:30  am and were sent away  including  2 who were on a cruise ship with Covid and reported on their ordeal

We click onto various sites each day but no luck yet.  We are now  pre registered at a  local hospital..and hopeful that it will work out.  Still trying to register elsewhere as another potential.

We will keep trying..sooner the better as Covid spreads

We  have owned a home here in Fl for 30 plus yrs and pay taxes so  we do not feel  that we are " foreigners" !  One can have dual residences....many folks do nowadays..esp with  some states  in chaos! The more who get vaccinated  the better we all are.

I Re-read this thread.. not much in the way of updates about crew vaccines which is the topic.

I did  see lots of misinformation , misunderstanding & ignorance about

" snowbirds".  We are from the U.S. as are most of the "snow birds" in our mostly full time residential Community. We have  enjoyed having a vacation  home since the 1980,'s   this is our third.  

It is true that  many  US citizens  & Canadians have not returned this yr..travel, health  ins issues..this hurts the already fragile economy in many places. They are missed..altho traffic is better!

We visit our vacation home regularly..not just in the winter. When I still had work..before Covid , I went back and forth every few weeks.

We left the state last March  and could not get tix to return in June as we usually do.  Our house sat vacant for many months but we  fortunately have great neighbors and an awesome home watcher..so it was not too bad .

We  finally were able to return and are enjoying the nicer weather.  We are in a lottery for  the Covid Vaccine,  and also check  availability in sev counties each day....a stressful task.  We plan to stay here til we can secure the vaccine b/c NY has diff priorities towards Srs and diabetics . 

We do not feel we are taking  anything from anyone else if we do get the vaccine. Btw....we actually pay higher   taxes  being part timers..

Hope this clears up a few things!

Anyone who gets the  vaccine will be safer for everyone..sad that others begrudge folks who may get it ahead of them..

Looking forward to Happy Sailing in 2022!   With vaccinated crew and cruisers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When the cruise companies want to get started, I assume CDC and other relevant regulatory bodies would give the go ahead and, will most likely insist on crew being vaccinated. I would suggest it is then, the cruise companies responsibility. I envisage they would, or perhaps should, purchase required doses and arrange vaccination of crew at their home port. The cost of vaccinating would, ultimately, be reflected in cruise fares - user pays. There is also the complication of getting crew to point of embarkation with all that would entail - international borders, quarantine etc.. I'm glad I'm not on the payscale of having to work that out.

30 minutes ago, hcat said:

I Re-read this thread.. not much in the way of updates about crew vaccines which is the topic.

I did  see lots of misinformation , misunderstanding & ignorance about

" snowbirds".  We are from the U.S. as are most of the "snow birds" in our mostly full time residential Community. We have  enjoyed having a vacation  home since the 1980,'s   this is our third.  

It is true that  many  US citizens  & Canadians have not returned this yr..travel, health  ins issues..this hurts the already fragile economy in many places. They are missed..altho traffic is better!

We visit our vacation home regularly..not just in the winter. When I still had work..before Covid , I went back and forth every few weeks.

We left the state last March  and could not get tix to return in June as we usually do.  Our house sat vacant for many months but we  fortunately have great neighbors and an awesome home watcher..so it was not too bad .

We  finally were able to return and are enjoying the nicer weather.  We are in a lottery for  the Covid Vaccine,  and also check  availability in sev counties each day....a stressful task.  We plan to stay here til we can secure the vaccine b/c NY has diff priorities towards Srs and diabetics . 

We do not feel we are taking  anything from anyone else if we do get the vaccine. Btw....we actually pay higher   taxes  being part timers..

Hope this clears up a few things!

Anyone who gets the  vaccine will be safer for everyone..sad that others begrudge folks who may get it ahead of them..

Looking forward to Happy Sailing in 2022!   With vaccinated crew and cruisers.

I believe there is difference between a Canadian snowbird and one from the States 

I don’t think it is fair that a Canadian flying down to Florida to get a shot when our government is tell people not to travel out of the country 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

I believe there is difference between a Canadian snowbird and one from the States 

I don’t think it is fair that a Canadian flying down to Florida to get a shot when our government is tell people not to travel out of the country 

Since it is a two shot process, it does not seem likely that someone would fly to Florida and stay for a month, just to wait and hope for a vaccine.  Or it would likely be a very small number of people if any.  

13 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canadian-snowbirds-chartering-private-jets-to-fly-south-for-faster-covid-19-vaccine-access-1.5257752

Getting back on the crew vaccination topic.

From what I have read, a person that is vaccinated may still be able to have the virus and pass it along even though they will not get sick. If true, the only thing vaccinating the whole crew will accomplish is keeping them well. Not that keeping them well is a bad thing. It simply may not stop the spread of the virus onboard. 

8 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Getting back on the crew vaccination topic.

From what I have read, a person that is vaccinated may still be able to have the virus and pass it along even though they will not get sick. If true, the only thing vaccinating the whole crew will accomplish is keeping them well. Not that keeping them well is a bad thing. It simply may not stop the spread of the virus onboard. 

This keeps coming up. There is no data to prove that the vaccine(s) stops transmission. There is also no data that transmission continues. We just don't know. But that keeps getting more or less interpreted as "they can still transmit". It's going to take time to know the answer to that question, and if it has to be implied from epidemiology, the more people vaccinated, the sooner we'll know.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

Post that on Thursday 😉

Hey 29 people were vaccinated in Nunavut Territory already.  Maybe people from the US can fly there - sort of reverse snowbirds! 😀

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker-how-many-people-in-canada-have-received-shots-1.5247509

Some will do anything to get the shots..some folks  believe it is life or death for them. Being high risk I get it, but there's only so much one can do. We did get  finally an appt for tom at a hosp in our former area in Fl...wanted it there b/c of possible side effects.  Hope it works out!

Newsfeed reports that in Mantee County ( fla west coast)   they have  registered over 85,000 online and  w/phone banks.   67% are local  residents,  29% adjacent or nearby  counties & 8% other.  Avg age= 73.  Goal is to give 1000 to 2000 a day, once supplies come in

Gov says  Fla not doing tourists but snowbirds with seasonal residence are okay.   Many groups trying to be included for  next rounds..glad I am not the gov

I think ALL crew and staff will be required to have vaccine.  Tests alone are not going to be enuff.....once vaccine is widely available.

• Thanks 1