The Crew Getting Vaccinated

miched

There is a schedule in the USA for people to get vaccinated.  Different levels according to the risk group and importance of employment.

This is on the USA

Where will  the employees on cruise ships get their vaccination with many living in 2nd and 3rd world countries?   If they somehow are able to get it in the USA i wouldn’t consider them to be essential or have any priority.    I think the people living in the USA would all have to be vaccinated before any one from another country. 

I think this may be a big issue  before cruising starts up.   

Thoughts?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Right now in some areas less than 1/2 of the health care workers are agreeing to be vaccinated.  Last week a there were no lines for vaccination in  a neighboring area and anyone in the 1st 3 groups could be vaccinated, better than letting it go to waste.  

5 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Right now in some areas less than 1/2 of the health care workers are agreeing to be vaccinated.  Last week a there were no lines for vaccination in  a neighboring area and anyone in the 1st 3 groups could be vaccinated, better than letting it go to waste.  

Incredible. I don't know which is more shocking, health care workers not wanting vaccinations or the lack of interest in groups 1 to 3.

• Like 7

I don’t know what hospitals they are talking about who are refusing. We can’t keep enough to vaccinate all who want it. I have the first one done and second one on the 12th. Hopefully we can get better organization on this process and it will have wider distribution including workplaces that would include cruise lines. This is a world wide initiative. 

35 minutes ago, miched said:

There is a schedule in the USA for people to get vaccinated.  Different levels according to the risk group and importance of employment.

This is on the USA

Where will  the employees on cruise ships get their vaccination with many living in 2nd and 3rd world countries?   If they somehow are able to get it in the USA i wouldn’t consider them to be essential or have any priority.    I think the people living in the USA would all have to be vaccinated before any one from another country. 

I think this may be a big issue  before cruising starts up.   

Thoughts?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Our household has been discussing this topic for awhile. Any members of the crew who are not US citizens would not be eligible to receive the vaccine here, in our opinion, they would have to be vaccinated in their individual countries. If true, that could take a long time. We were wondering if RCG might be able to purchase a certain amount of the vaccine to be used to vaccinate crew members on a set number of ships returning to service. Recently Richard Fain said that vaccinations were the answer to returning to service, so it will be interesting to see how this situation is handled.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Incredible. I don't know which is more shocking, health care workers not wanting vaccinations or the lack of interest in groups 1 to 3.

I wasn’t saying that groups 1-3 aren’t interested.  With less than 2 weeks of distribution they are open to groups 1-3 (we haven’t had a massive shipment) Group 2 in our state is anyone over 65 and they are interested.  The distribution isn’t well publicized so it is a matter of calling every grocery store pharmacy, medical center, Doctor and health department.  The map that is suppose show where doses were delivered doesn’t show all the places that got vaccine. 

Edited by jelayne

COVAX is a consortium of 190+ '1st world' countries (the USA isn't participating as far as I know) who are working with WHO to help fund and provide vaccines to '2nd' and '3rd' world countries.

I would think this, and maybe private purchases of vaccines through the cruise lines, if allowed, will be how the cruise staff will be vaccinated.

JMO

Cheers, h

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Please state your source.

• Thanks 1

I live in Florida and had a better experience than Ride-the -Waves. I was very happy our governor approved the vaccine for those over 65 in the first wave. DH and I were able to get appointments and got our first shot. First time in my life that I was glad to be over 65! While the whole process took 1.5 hours, I felt like they moved us along, and we were able to sit most of the time, so the wait did not seem too bad.

I also find it interesting that residency is not a requirement - so snowbirds can get their vaccinations here in Florida. We have international snowbirds, just not as many this year as other years. So maybe crew could get vaccinated in Florida. I wouldn’t think they would fall into the first categories - health care workers and over 65, so it may not be available to them until later in the year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Our household has been discussing this topic for awhile. Any members of the crew who are not US citizens would not be eligible to receive the vaccine here, in our opinion, they would have to be vaccinated in their individual countries. If true, that could take a long time. We were wondering if RCG might be able to purchase a certain amount of the vaccine to be used to vaccinate crew members on a set number of ships returning to service. Recently Richard Fain said that vaccinations were the answer to returning to service, so it will be interesting to see how this situation is handled.

I said something similar in a recent post. Another reason why I am not booking anything until a start up date is announced. I still reckon about September is realistic.

In the case of Australia some of the crew you are referring too would not even get into the Country, let alone have a priority to the vaccine when they get here. I expect many other Countries will be the same. 

13 hours ago, Oville said:

Please state your source.

I'm not going to wade through Google to try to find proof, but I also have read multiple times as well as heard on television that in some areas a very large amount of health care workers are not planning to vaccinate, at least at this time.  The numbers I've read/heard range from 40% to 60%.  That completely and totally boggles my mind!  I can understand if perhaps they have had the virus already in the past several months so want to wait for others, but I kinda doubt that is the actual reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Margarita Jane said:

I live in Florida and had a better experience than Ride-the -Waves. I was very happy our governor approved the vaccine for those over 65 in the first wave. DH and I were able to get appointments and got our first shot. First time in my life that I was glad to be over 65! While the whole process took 1.5 hours, I felt like they moved us along, and we were able to sit most of the time, so the wait did not seem too bad.

I also find it interesting that residency is not a requirement - so snowbirds can get their vaccinations here in Florida. We have international snowbirds, just not as many this year as other years. So maybe crew could get vaccinated in Florida. I wouldn’t think they would fall into the first categories - health care workers and over 65, so it may not be available to them until later in the year.

I am glad for you that you got your vaccine - based on what I have read on the news about Florida you were very lucky indeed.  I wish our state would prioritize those 65 and older as well, but we are following CDC recommendations which puts us in the third phase😔 (as we are not 75+).. 

But doesn't it concern you that residency is not required?  I believe states get allocated vaccines based on population.  I am presuming the snow birds do not get counted as population?  If that is true, then there is a huge disparity.  The northern states where they live will have a surplus, and the actual residents of Florida will have to wait even longer.  Doesn't seem fair to me, unless my assumptions are incorrect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

I'm not going to wade through Google to try to find proof, but I also have read multiple times as well as heard on television that in some areas a very large amount of health care workers are not planning to vaccinate, at least at this time.  The numbers I've read/heard range from 40% to 60%.  That completely and totally boggles my mind!  

The same thing was reported last night on the national news regarding healthcare workers and firefighters in several localities. I found it mind-boggling as well. If someone doesn’t want their allocated vaccine, I will gladly take it. 

14 hours ago, jelayne said:

I wasn’t saying that groups 1-3 aren’t interested.  With less than 2 weeks of distribution they are open to groups 1-3 (we haven’t had a massive shipment) Group 2 in our state is anyone over 65 and they are interested.  The distribution isn’t well publicized so it is a matter of calling every grocery store pharmacy, medical center, Doctor and health department.  The map that is suppose show where doses were delivered doesn’t show all the places that got vaccine. 

Ah, I understand now, the lack of lineups wasn't due to a lack of interest but to a lack of publicity as to where vaccinations are available. Thanks for the clarification.

43 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I'm not going to wade through Google to try to find proof, but I also have read multiple times as well as heard on television that in some areas a very large amount of health care workers are not planning to vaccinate, at least at this time.  The numbers I've read/heard range from 40% to 60%.  That completely and totally boggles my mind!  I can understand if perhaps they have had the virus already in the past several months so want to wait for others, but I kinda doubt that is the actual reason.

39 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

The same thing was reported last night on the national news regarding healthcare workers and firefighters in several localities. I found it mind-boggling as well. If someone doesn’t want their allocated vaccine, I will gladly take it. 

I wish someone would post a link to a news story about this. I watch morning news, noon news, and evening news almost everyday, and have missed this story. Perhaps we're getting our information from different sources. 

1 minute ago, ORV said:

I wish someone would post a link to a news story about this. I watch morning news, noon news, and evening news almost everyday, and have missed this story. Perhaps we're getting our information from different sources. 

Two seconds on Google:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2021/01/02/large-numbers-of-health-care-and-frontline-workers-are-refusing-covid-19-vaccine/?sh=7723d9ca3c96

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Exactly.  I was going to google and post an example but you beat me to it - the page was loaded with news articles!  This has been reported so many times in so many ways I can't imagine someone has not heard about it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Exactly.  I was going to google and post an example but you beat me to it - the page was loaded with news articles!  This has been reported so many times in so many ways I can't imagine someone has not heard about it

It even pops up in my news feed here in Canada.

Wouldn’t allowing cruise lines to purchase vaccines be the equivalent of  the rich or any group being able to buy their way ahead of everyone else?   

i don’t think many in the USA cruise or think it is that essential to give the cruise industry any priority or allow them to buy up vaccines that many are waiting their  turn for.  

If the cruise lines were allowed to do it then why can’t many others that what to get it before their place in the schedule? 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 3