Where are the test cruises?

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

At least you have been told even if they pushed out the date once, so might again.

Lol the form for dallas apparently they think no one over age 100 will want to register. The form to click on the calendar doesnt allow for a birth year before 1921. Hes 102, born in 1918, so you cant put in his real birthday on sign up form. 

This is where the county I'm in in CA is with vaccinations as of Dec 31. It's interesting to hear about the process in other states. DH is tier 1b and I'm 1c. 

County Vaccine schedule.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

This is where the county I'm in in CA is with vaccinations as of Dec 31. It's interesting to hear about the process in other states. DH is tier 1b and I'm 1c. 

County Vaccine schedule.JPG

Interesting how every state is different. We’re in Florida, are both LEO, and both over 65. We got our first doses last week because we are over 65. Leo don’t get theirs for another month. 

24 minutes ago, orville99 said:

IMHO, Test Cruises will be conducted under an NDA for both passengers, crew, and shoreside staff. We won’t hear about any test cruises until they have both started and completed their first runs.

Too many talk to cruise members. It would surprise me if it was done in secret and crew members sworn to secrecy.  Someone would leak. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Too many talk to cruise members. It would surprise me if it was done in secret and crew members sworn to secrecy.  Someone would leak. 

Plus the Miami Herald reporters and news channels nearby would notice the activity around PortMiami if the test cruises depart from there.  Would be hard to conceal.

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Are you still going to have to go to some drive thru place with long lines even with an appointment in Brevard?

Not sure what I will run into.  I have a 3:30 pm appointment (wish it was earlier...but no choice..take it or leave it).   It is indeed a drive through at our county health department.  I don't know how early to get there, and no idea what kind of lines I will encounter.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

28 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Plus the Miami Herald reporters and news channels nearby would notice the activity around PortMiami if the test cruises depart from there.  Would be hard to conceal.

That’s one of the great things about opinions - everyone gets to have one, and no one has to abandon their own opinion in the face of someone else’s that differs. Only time will tell whose opinion is closer to reality. For example, in my opinion, anyone who believes that a test cruise will be anything like any cruise they have ever taken will be sadly disappointed, and anyone who goes on a test cruise thoroughly expecting to be treated like a large lab rat, will not be surprised to find out they were correct.  Others believe they should pack their tuxes and cocktail. Dresses so they can look good at the parties on board. 

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

IMHO, Test Cruises will be conducted under an NDA for both passengers, crew, and shoreside staff. We won’t hear about any test cruises until they have both started and completed their first runs.

No way they could pull that off; the process of boarding a cruise ship is impossible to do in secret. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No way they could pull that off; the process of boarding a cruise ship is impossible to do in secret. 

Especially if they were boarding a cruise ship in dallas😁. Anything can be accomplished on a closed pier.

11 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Especially if they were boarding a cruise ship in dallas😁. Anything can be accomplished on a closed pier.

Galveston you can see where people are dropped off and line up from the road. They would have to close a main road too. Harborside runs within viewing of the terminals.

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Galveston you can see where people are dropped off and line up from the road. They would have to close a main road too. Harborside runs within viewing of the terminals.

Galveston will not be one of the test cruise sites. They will be in Florida.

29 minutes ago, orville99 said:

It really wouldn’t be a test cruise then would it?  Part of the test cruise is testing the boarding process at already in place terminals. Does no good to do a test in a facility that would not be used for a real embarkation. 
Not to mention all the baggage handlers, food deliveries, parking......the list goes on and on. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising

55 minutes ago, orville99 said:

That’s one of the great things about opinions - everyone gets to have one, and no one has to abandon their own opinion in the face of someone else’s that differs. Only time will tell whose opinion is closer to reality. For example, in my opinion, anyone who believes that a test cruise will be anything like any cruise they have ever taken will be sadly disappointed, and anyone who goes on a test cruise thoroughly expecting to be treated like a large lab rat, will not be surprised to find out they were correct.  Others believe they should pack their tuxes and cocktail. Dresses so they can look good at the parties on board. 

I do agree with most of the above. What I don’t agree with is that test cruises would be done in a clandestine manner. Considering the location of PortMiami, it would be extremely difficult to pull off unless it’s done in the middle of the night with closed off roadways, which is very doubtful the City would go that far to accommodate that type of operation. 

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It really wouldn’t be a test cruise then would it?  Part of the test cruise is testing the boarding process at already in place terminals. Does no good to do a test in a facility that would not be used for a real embarkation. 
Not to mention all the baggage handlers, food deliveries, parking......the list goes on and on. 

During TS Faye, we were scheduled to sail out of Port Canaveral. Because the channel was silted in, our ship had to dock at a terminal in Port Everglades that was not being used by any of the lines at that time. We were bussed from PC to Port everglades, and went directly from the bus into the terminal. All of the luggage was delivered by trucks directly into the screening area. Anyone who was not on that cruise would have had no idea that the ship docked there was getting ready to set sail, because there was none of the external traffic/commotion/etc. visible from outside of the terminal itself. It can be done quietly if the cruise line wants it to be done quietly.

39 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Why would they be done in secret? All cruise lines have to do them and all have to accomplish the same things during the cruises.

IMO, there is a real need to limit the amount of information that gets out about what's actually happening on these cruises, because the lines will in all probability have to repeat them until they get everything correct to the CDC's satisfaction. The more that gets out in advance of a test cruise, the more difficult it will be to maintain a level of control over what, how, and when a particular requirement is being tested. The outside world may not even know that a test cruise is about to set sail until the "volunteers" arrive at the port. A ship sitting at a pier for a week or so becomes invisible.

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Essential is a very gray area according to Uncle Ronnie

Uncle Ronnie says essential workers are firefighters, police, corrections workers, postal workers, teachers and school staff, food, agricultural and manufacturing workers, public transit workers and grocery store workers.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Uncle Ronnie says essential workers are firefighters, police, corrections workers, postal workers, teachers and school staff, food, agricultural and manufacturing workers, public transit workers and grocery store workers.

I thought i read a quote that he wasn't going to vaccinate healthy 22 year old grocery clerks

7 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Here in Florida essential workers and 65+ have first dibs.  Not limited to nursing home and health care workers.

Same here in Georgia.  We are in the 65+ group and get our second dose Jan. 30th.

Edited by GTO-Girl
  • Like 1