Silversea Restaurant Surcharges

penfriend

I have done a forum search on this without success and find nothing about it on the Silversea website. Regency doesn't do this and we have never had difficulty in getting reservations at any restaurant once on board ,so a capacity control justification doesn't cut it. It seems cheap and unnecessary to me. Anyway, which restaurants have surcharges and how much is the charge?

An unrelated question: I see from the deck plan that there are self-serve laundromats on each floor. Is soap supplied? How is the laundry/dry cleaning service?

Thanks in advance.

Your getting yourself all worked up before you even get onboard. It depends on what ship your on for restaurant upcharges. One will be fine dining and the other may be Japanize.  If you are not interested, don't worry, there will be plenty of places to eat a vast verity of items.   And you wont have to bring soap to the laundry mat. Dry-cleaning can be done with a cost per item. 

44 minutes ago, penfriend said:

I have done a forum search on this without success and find nothing about it on the Silversea website. Regency doesn't do this and we have never had difficulty in getting reservations at any restaurant once on board ,so a capacity control justification doesn't cut it. It seems cheap and unnecessary to me. Anyway, which restaurants have surcharges and how much is the charge?

An unrelated question: I see from the deck plan that there are self-serve laundromats on each floor. Is soap supplied? How is the laundry/dry cleaning service?

Thanks in advance.

I assume you are referring to Regent.  Don't know Regency.

The surcharge exists only in La Dame and in the Japanese restaurant on the Muse-class ships.  The restaurants are very small (a couple of dozen or so guests), the service and cuisine are superb, and I am certain the fee is imposed to control/limit demand.  I believe the charge is no more than $60pp. Perhaps less. 

If you do not want to pay the surcharge, there are six other dining options on the Muse class ships, plus of course in suite dining.

Soap is provided.  Laundry/dry cleaning service is excellent.  Same day delivery with no surcharge.  Simply get the laundry to your butler by 9 am, and you will have it returned by 5 pm. 

We’ve had several dinners in La Dame and they are fabulous. I agree the upcharge isn’t my favorite aspect but it’s worth it. It’s also a very small venue so capacity control needs to be addressed somehow. The intimacy of the restaurant is part of its appeal. 

Thanks to all for your comments. We will be on the Moon which I now understand is a Muse class vessel. I am disappointed to learn that the surcharge to dine there would be $60 x 2 , but I did not realise La Dame was so small from the pictures I had seen. Not enough to ruin our cruise but I can think of better ways to waste $120. I am sure we wont starve on board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, penfriend said:

Thanks to all for your comments. We will be on the Moon which I now understand is a Muse class vessel. I am disappointed to learn that the surcharge to dine there would be $60 x 2 , but I did not realise La Dame was so small from the pictures I had seen. Not enough to ruin our cruise but I can think of better ways to waste $120. I am sure we wont starve on board.

I am certain that many people would disagree with the judgment that the La Dame fee is a "waste."  IMHO an evening there is a very special occasion.  But different people have different priorities.  Some people might think it is a "waste" to pay for a Caribbean cruise on a luxury line when one can visit the same ports on a Carnival cruise at rather less expense.  🙂

Edited by Observer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Observer said:

am certain that many people would disagree with the judgment that the La Dame fee is a "waste."  IMHO an evening there is a very special occasion.

Same here. We’ve had several fantastic dinners in La Dame. 

But there’s nothing compelling anyone to go, either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, penfriend said:

I am sure we wont starve on board.

Most assuredly!  With just 2 cruises on Silversea under our belts (weak pun intended), we have had so many great meal occasions on board we have not yet chosen to pay the extra fees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

Most assuredly!  With just 2 cruises on Silversea under our belts (weak pun intended), we have had so many great meal occasions on board we have not yet chosen to pay the extra fees.

Ha ha,   Mrs Banjo and I have quite a few SS cruises under our belts and like you have yet to ever pay an up charge for a dinner........  the food on board is always quite good and I think we just get too relaxed on the cruise and don’t even think of making reservations........  ahhhh ........to be cruising again..........  hopefully in 2021

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

Ha ha,   Mrs Banjo and I have quite a few SS cruises under our belts and like you have yet to ever pay an up charge for a dinner........  the food on board is always quite good and I think we just get too relaxed on the cruise and don’t even think of making reservations........  ahhhh ........to be cruising again..........  hopefully in 2021

While I can’t say we have never paid the up charge for a La Dame dinner we have done several cruises without La Dame.  In fact as I best remember we have done La Dame maybe three times out of 12 cruises.   We have found the variety available in the no up charge restaurants to be great and the food to be with a few exceptions excellent.

• Like 1

Do not forget that you can order a special meal 24 hours in advance and if they have the ingredients on board, they will happily prepare it for you.  The rack of lamb and lobster thermadore that you get in La Dame can be preordered in the MDR.  I do not care for the layout of La Dame on the Spirit or the Muse class ships since I do not like banquet seating which is always too low.  In my opinion, the best room layout for La Dame is on the Cloud/Wind.  Second best is on the Whisper/Shadow.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

In my opinion, the best room layout for La Dame is on the Cloud/Wind.

We love the intimacy of the tables in La Dame on the Cloud (haven't sailed the Wind, but imagine the set up is the same).  There is just something very special about that little room.  Sure is going to be A LOT different on the new Moon and Dawn ships with the large expansion of the room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Are you limited to how many times in let's say a 9-night cruise that you can book a reservation in La Dame or Kaiseki?

Hi, I don't believe there are any limits on the restaurants. I am sure someone will correct me

if I am wrong but as long there is space available, you can eat there as many times as you want.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Are you limited to how many times in let's say a 9-night cruise that you can book a reservation in La Dame or Kaiseki?

One per night! (Just making a joke...)

The trade-off is the upcharge of $60 per person. Other lines may not charge but put a limit on number of reservations, or by guaranteeing everyone gets a chance then there’s a indirect cap. 

• Like 1