The Daily for Monday Jan 4, 2021

richwmn

Good morning and thanks all.  We just finished watching the Queens gambit on Netflix,  loved the music!  

Hope they can get going on this vaccine rollout.  We’re behind here,  saying may not be until fall for the general public.  Hoping we can get ours in the second round,  but sounds like just doing age 75 plus, so it could be awhile.   

Enjoying a winter walk with our granddaughters. 

F97AF8AA-AEAE-4E9B-9F1A-A95E698F687C.jpeg

• Like 20

Phase 2 of our vaccination efforts started this morning.  IT staff did paperwork, pharmacist prepared the vials and three nurses gave the injections.  After getting the injection we had to go to a conference room for 15 minutes of observation.  Wide range of folks receiving the vaccine including hospital staff, EMTs, security and folks over 75.  It was wonderful to see food service workers and housekeepers in line.  There are 10 more "clinics" scheduled for January.  Most folks this morning were getting the second injection  but there were a number of first--timers there as well.

Incidentally,  we all were masked and maintained separation.  Hats off to our employee health department for a well run clinic.

• Like 24

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

It may be coincidence, but this Trivia Day starts the final week of Alex Trebek's appearance on "Jeopardy." That show has been part of my life and many others, I'm sure. This will be a bittersweet week!

Alex will definitely be missed in our household.

• Like 8

Good morning.  It's in the 50s but warming with clear skies and no wind.  It should be a nice afternoon.

I like trivia on the ships, and if they ask the right questions, I can do pretty well.  😁  I am sure our SIL will be watching Jeopardy this week since he was on the show and won a few years back.  He really liked and admired Alex Trebek.

@kazu Sorry that your BIL's mother caught the virus.  Hoping for a full recovery.

@Seasick Sailor So sorry you may have to find a new forever home for Sophie.  I can sympathize with Allen, as I was highly allergic to cats as a child.  I out grew the allergy, and we had some wonderful cats over the years.

@StLouisCruisers I am still enjoying your pictures and travelog.  We flew over Antarctica in 1999, but I still want to sail there. 

We are not sure when the vaccine will be available in this area. Last week, DH called the doctor's office, hospital and the pharmacy in Parker.  They had no idea when the public would be able to get their shots.  The pharmacy was sending their team to the nursing homes last week.  We also registered with another pharmacy to be notified when the vaccine becomes available.  In the meantime, the number of cases in this county have risen in the last couple of weeks.  I'm afraid it will only get worse as more and more snowbirds arrive.  They started pouring in a few days after Christmas.  We are staying in except to go to the PO (no home delivery here) and to get groceries.  We generally try to get our mail after the PO closes, so there are fewer people there.

Please everyone do their best to stay safe, social distance and keep wearing their masks.  

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 15

The days are getting longer so summer is on its way! (Pay no attention to those folks ice fishing on the lake)

@Seasick Sailor - If we lived closer, our son would probably offer to give Sophie a home.

I am enjoying my new toy. I have "The New Classical FM 96.3" streaming on the Amazon Echo now. That is the Toronto station we always listen to when we are at our cottage. Since we missed the lake for 2020, it is a comfort to hear some familiar voices! Now all I need is to hear a Rona or Canadian Tire commercial or two, eh!

20171010_190712.thumb.jpg.6d45e20200f61590d5d6047ccbd95155.jpg

1240582464_20171116_111225(2).thumb.jpg.e6fc4af7a0592625ce925e9698ee60f6.jpg

Edited by Overhead Fred
Spelling
  • Like 18
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

Phase 2 of our vaccination efforts started this morning.  IT staff did paperwork, pharmacist prepared the vials and three nurses gave the injections.  After getting the injection we had to go to a conference room for 15 minutes of observation.  Wide range of folks receiving the vaccine including hospital staff, EMTs, security and folks over 75.  It was wonderful to see food service workers and housekeepers in line.  There are 10 more "clinics" scheduled for January.  Most folks this morning were getting the second injection  but there were a number of first--timers there as well.

Incidentally,  we all were masked and maintained separation.  Hats off to our employee health department for a well run clinic.

I wonder about Drive Through clinics and what they do about monitoring for allergic reactions.  I would hate to see a just vaccinated driver have a reaction that causes them to crash.

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

I wonder about Drive Through clinics and what they do about monitoring for allergic reactions.  I would hate to see a just vaccinated driver have a reaction that causes them to crash.

Roy

I'm ok with drive-through testing but would be very wary of vaccination clinics.  I can't imagine the liability that would incur.  Excellent point...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon; thanks for the Daily report.

Late start as I had to go get an MRI of my neck this morning.

I'm not much into pop music; trivia is great, as is Braille for those with poor/no sight.

Caramel Irish coffee is my kind of drink!

Dinner's likely pork roast. Mmmm, love key lime pie.

@StLouisCruisersGreat pics. 

Good to see vaccines rolling out more. By rules here I'd be in phase 1C due to age and immunosuppresion (although these people were not included in trials to my knowledge).

Prayers to those in need and cheers for celebrations.

Be safe! Masks and social distancing.

• Like 10

Good morning all!

Another dreary rain soaked day here. 🙂  It makes it easy to stay inside and get indoor chores done.

I've never kept up with music charts, but have been listening to "rock" since I was a toddler.  My oldest sister was 10 years older than me, my other sister 6 years older, so I was introduced to rock music at quite a young age.  

@richwmn--- Trivia!  A day for you, the trivia King!

@rafinmdRoy thank you!  I'm feeling a bit better today but not 100%.  How on earth I could get this since I don't go anywhere other than the Navy Commissary where everyone is required to wear masks is beyond me. 

@ger_77so funny, yes why on earth have braille at ATM drive-throughs??

@Seasick SailorI'm sad along with you.  I hope you find a good home for sweet little Sophie. 

@kazuI'm sorry to hear about your BIL's Mother's covid. 😞  

@StLouisCruisersOh how I agree that vaccinations should be required for all staff in care facilities!!  

I will be getting my vaccination from our doctor or her nurse, no vaccination clinics for me.  I still have visions of my friend who waited in line 9 hours outside with hundreds of others.  

• Like 9

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
        -- Dean Martin.........................................

Two police officers saw an old woman staggering out a local bar, Stopping her, they could tell she has had far too much to drink,… And instead of taking her to jail they decide to just drive her home. They loaded her into the police cruiser and one of the officers gets in the back with the drunk woman. As they drove through the streets they kept asking the old woman where she lived, All the old lady would say as she stroked the officers arm is, “You’re Passionate.” They drove a while longer and asked her again where she lived. But once again, they got the same response as she stroked the officer's arm, “You’re Passionate.” By now, the officers were getting a little upset so they stopped the car and said to the woman, “Look we have driven around this city for two hours and you still haven’t told us where you live!” She replied,… * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

“I keep trying to tell you, you’re passin it!”

Pin on funny quotes

Pin on just plain funny

Facebook Tier Jokes. . HOW DRINKING tit CUPS OF WATER DAY SEEMS LIKE IT' S IMPOSSIBLE BUT tit BEERS tit SHOTS IN 3 HOURS GO DC) LIKE A FAT KID C) tsl Jlk. "hahahaha too true lmao" like and share now with friends

• Like 7
  • Haha 11

Hello  Kirk NC,  The  folks  who  resisted  vaccinations  were staff  and  it  was  a  cultural  bias  I  believe. Eventually  all  staff  had  to  comply  in  order  to  stay  employed  for  which  the  rest  of  us  were  grateful. I  have  nurses,doctors  and  police  officers  in  my  family  working  the  front  line  daily  and  I  am  happy  to  say by  last  Friday  everyone  received    the vaccine. My  dear  brother  even  sent  me  a  picture!

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Hello  Kirk NC,  The  folks  who  resisted  vaccinations  were staff  and  it  was  a  cultural  bias  I  believe. Eventually  all  staff  had  to  comply  in  order  to  stay  employed  for  which  the  rest  of  us  were  grateful. I  have  nurses,doctors  and  police  officers  in  my  family  working  the  front  line  daily  and  I  am  happy  to  say by  last  Friday  everyone  received    the vaccine. My  dear  brother  even  sent  me  a  picture!

Thank your family for their  service!  All they need is a teacher 👩‍🏫.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I assume (a horrible thing) that you park for 15-30 minutes and they check you out before you drive off?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Busy day today, already at Page 3!  Thanks, all, it is wonderful to hear of the vaccine rolling out and into arms!  BC is being a bit slow, I think, but we must be at the end of the line, and it's the "trickle-down theory"....  I have to see my doctor in a couple of weeks and will discuss it with him then.  (He is working part time at the Covid Assessment Centre in town).  I am anxious to get the jab.  

But sad news today as well!  I'm sorry to hear of those ill, this is a hopeful but distressing time as well.  On the news last night they said two employees at a local mall have tested positive, but so far it hasn't been shut down and the employees are self-isolating.    We haven't been to that mall in weeks, but we do sometimes go to a different one, so I can walk without fear of slipping, maybe we will have to stay away from all indoor shopping and walking.  And @Seasick Sailor, I feel your pain, so sorry about having to give up your kitten.  

But the days are getting longer again, we are hopefully heading for better weather.  Both eagle nests I "supervise" have their two eggs, and they are such devoted parents.

2024235006_ScreenShot2021-01-04at10_08_57AM.jpeg.de588568bc9d1c18f740a5641fc9aed4.jpeg

• Like 12

Good morning, all! We slept in today, so it’s barely morning on the West Coast, and long gone for most of you. Today I got the right pork out of the freezer, so the tourtière that derailed the other day finally gets its chance. @StLouisCruisersive been enjoying your Antarctica voyage very much. Thank you! I also agree that offering the staff refusing the vaccination a bribe is a recipe for disaster. Some will demand more money, and there will be a justified  wave of resentment among those who accepted the vaccine willingly. If the director feels that rewarding bad behaviour is a good idea, he or she has clearly never raised children!

It will be awhile before I get a chance at the vaccine. Being under 70, I’m considered general population and by current planning will get vaccinated in the fall. I certainly hope there are people lined up to receive the vaccines being refused, and the doses aren’t being discarded as no longer viable.

A year ago today we boarded the Amsterdam in Fort Lauderdale for the World Cruise. Whatever happened in the end, it was amazing while it lasted.

Along with our Happy Monday elevator mat, here is the Amsterdam as she proudly greeted us all on-board for a World Cruise like no other!

FD8BB6A3-01CA-4CE0-AECA-BF0C58E0A268.jpeg

1545491D-3BA7-4DC8-9BEE-89E05F5E4CEE.jpeg

• Like 15

This is the A-Deck corridor on Amsterdam at night with some stores being taken via electrical handcart from one of the cold storage rooms located on the starboard side. The "keeper" of the storage rooms work for the provision master and the one who works in the cold storage room can frequently be seen wearing a fur-lined cold weather parka with hood.  The corridor, over the years, has earned the nickname of "I-95" as that interstate runs from Miami, FL to the U.S.-Canadian border. On the ships, "I-95" on A-Deck runs from the bow to the stern, pretty much unobstructed. The entrance to the left leads to the office of the chief electrician as well as facilities manager. The yellow concrete barriers on the deck along the bulkheads are there to protect those bulkheads (walls) from overzealous forklift drivers. That would be longshoremen, because the ship forklift drivers know better.

The metal decks get washed down by sailors on a regular basis and, once the staff captain feels it's time, repainted a nice reddish brown (also done by the sailors). Right in front of where the crew member in the blue overalls is walking is the mid-ship marshaling area. Before you get there, on the port side, is the ECR (engine control room) and the office of the chief engineer. In front of that start the officers cabins, the infamous "O.B." (officers bar), the P.O. (petty officers) bar, the crew mess and galley, the office of the crew officer (crew purser) and his clerk and the HR (human resources officer) office and his/her clerk.    

The second pic is the SECO's cabin ready for bedtime. Officers do have a hardworking Housekeeping attendant assigned to their cabin but there is no turndown service, no towel animals, and no chocolates on pillows 😉 

048.JPG

050.JPG

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

I have a theory about Braille on drive-through ATM buttons. Manufacturers may possibly use the machines interchangeably with walk-up or drive-through ATMs.

But if I am blind and a passenger in a car, I could use the drive-through ATM, if my arm reaches.

Thank you for making me think about this mystery!

• Like 9

4 hours ago, kazu said:

I agree with you on the requirement for vaccines.

At my BIL’s mother’s senior residence most of the care givers declined the vaccine.  Absurd.  The place has covid and while my BIL’s mother was safe on another floor, she now, unfortunately has contracted covid and I fear very much it will be a sad ending.

I find the care our seniors are getting by their supposed “care givers” deplorable.  AT the very least, they should be looking out for their health by getting the vaccine.

I can’t believe employees of care facilities are being allowed to work without taking the vaccine. At the very least, it needs to be a requirement for stepping through the door of any care facility on lock down, employee or not. Not to mention how many people would love to get the vaccinations these people so loftily spurn. 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

This is the A-Deck corridor on Amsterdam at night with some stores being taken via electrical handcart from one of the cold storage rooms located on the starboard side. The corridor, over the years, has earned the nickname of "I-95" as that interstate runs from Miami, FL to the U.S.-Canadian border. On the ships, "I-95" on A-Deck runs from the bow to the stern, pretty much unobstructed. The entrance to the left leads to the office of the chief electrician. The yellow concrete barriers on the deck along the bulkheads are there to protect those bulkheads (walls) from overzealous forklift drivers. That would be longshoremen, because the ship forklift drivers know better.

The metal decks get washed down by sailors on a regular basis and, once the staff captain feels it's time, repainted a nice reddish brown (also done by the sailors). Right in front of where the crew member in the blue overalls is walking is the mid-ship marshaling area. Before you get there, on the port side, is the ECR (engine control room) and the office of the chief engineer. In front of that start the officers cabins, the infamous "O.B." (officers bar), the P.O. (petty officers) bar, the crew mess and galley, the office of the crew officer (crew purser) and his clerk and the HR (human resources officer) office.    

The second pic is the SECO's cabin ready for bedtime. Officers do have a hardworking Housekeeping attendant assigned to their cabin but there is no turndown service, no towel animals, and no chocolates on pillows 😉 

048.JPG

050.JPG

Is it me or does that bed look really short!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1