Wedding ceremony on Mare

IngFam

Happy New Year everyone!!  This time last year my daughter got engaged on our cruise in Mare.  They would like to get married in 2022 and were thinking of a destination wedding on a cruise, having their ceremony in Mare and then back on board for their reception.  Has anyone done something similar?  They don't want to have the actual ceremony on the ship they'd like to do this part on the island.  

I'm sure they would need to go through a Mare Tour company for the wedding ceremony.  

After advice, pros and cons.

43 minutes ago, IngFam said:

Happy New Year everyone!!  This time last year my daughter got engaged on our cruise in Mare.  They would like to get married in 2022 and were thinking of a destination wedding on a cruise, having their ceremony in Mare and then back on board for their reception.  Has anyone done something similar?  They don't want to have the actual ceremony on the ship they'd like to do this part on the island.  

I'm sure they would need to go through a Mare Tour company for the wedding ceremony.  

After advice, pros and cons.

Getting a marriage license would be the hard part.

Traditional islands can be complicated,I got married in Asia and had to do a week school , it was a nightmare as I had to have a translator.

At the time I thought it was a stupid thing but  now after being through it  .

I think it was a great idea. It prepared you for a life time commitment.

Edited by Chiliburn

Your daughter would have to consider a few points if she wants to be married at Mare. It is part of France (as part of New Caledonia) so a marriage would be subject to the laws of France. The first step would probably to enquire if a foreigner could be  married on Mare. Having the marriage performed on the ship would be easier from a legal point of view. Some cruiselines can host marriages and some cannot, depending on where the ship is registered.

The next point is that (as you would know) passengers go ashore to Mare on tenders. If the weather is bad, they have to skip that port.

• Like 3

One solution that I have seen work was to have a Registrty ,or similar  service before the cruise to satisfy the legalities ,and then arrange a reception with a Hotel at your chosen destination , where the vows can be confirmed.

• Like 1

Get married in Australia. Have a commitment ceremony in Mare.

You really do not want to go through the complications involved in getting married on French territory.

Also, seconding the comment about not relying on tenders to get you ashore or even the port being available.

Unless they intend to get married in thongs and swimmers, getting dressed up on the ship and tendered to shore would leave them looking more than a little wilted.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 2

IIRC official French weddings a registry office affairs then followed by ceremonial religious ceremonies if people want them.

I would agree with a previous poster re a civil ceremony before going, then perhaps, contact a church charity and organise something with them for a generous donation.

My concern about orgainising anything, particularly a wedding on an island where there is tendering would be what if the ship is unable to tender due to the weather or even make it to the island in the case of a cyclone.

Leigh

• Like 1

That would be my concern too, Leigh.

The best thing to do, if they absolutely don't want to get married on the ship, would be to have a simple wedding at home then a private affirmation of their vows at Mare, perhaps wearing lovely beachwear. I recall the locals making lovely floral circlets at the Isle of Pines but can't remember if they do that at Mare.

• Like 1

As mentioned above about being a tender port & missing it cause of seas.

We had a medical emergency the morning of arrival at Mystery Island  a couple had arranged there wedding there on this day. Unfortunately we got diverted towards Noumea & missed the port cause of the Airlift needed. I would try the options mentioned above..

My SIL is a marriage celebrant and she has mentioned that many overseas marriages are not legally binding here unless they have registered the marriage and done the formalities here anyway.

They can have a ceremony in Mare or whatever, but make sure it is done here properly as well.

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

My SIL is a marriage celebrant and she has mentioned that many overseas marriages are not legally binding here unless they have registered the marriage and done the formalities here anyway.

They can have a ceremony in Mare or whatever, but make sure it is done here properly as well.

I don’t know about that mic , I was married overseas and the Australian embassy and immigration recognised the marriage.

But when we got married I had to supply a certificate  of no impediment from foreign affairs  to the local registry.

The letter said I was single and the Australian government gives permission to get married.

‘But then The Australian government didn’t recognise my wife’s birth certificate and we had to go to the Catholic Church.

Just don’t get married.

• 3 months later...