New to Regent

BNguy

I have to second wishiweretraveling's menu recommendations.  The Miso Sea Bass and dover sole are two of my favorites.  With the Dover Sole, your waiter will debone it for you at the table.

Prime 7 doesn't do much for us, since the food is so good in Compass Rose.  One night DH ordered the 2lb crab leg dinner.  What they brought was 2lbs of crab with no shells, way too much food for even 2 people.  We will clarify the next time.  There is a dessert in Prime 7 with ice cream, caramel, chocolate, popcorn.  I ordered that one be split between us, and of course they were still big!! But delicious.

image.png

• Like 2

On 1/26/2021 at 1:37 PM, johng75370 said:

We’re looking forward to trying Regent after being mainly on Seabourn the last few years.  Any comments on dancing at night, or are there any special dance parties (e.g. Seabourn usually has an on-deck dance party, weather permitting)?  We’re booked on Mariner, but also looking at a Splendor sailing.  

We have cruised Seabourn several times and Regent only once.  You will find a better ambiance for dancing on Seabourn (the passengers are so lively!), but I was able to dance in Regent/Explorer and enjoyed myself very much...maybe I got some stares...  The best dancing, however, has been on Crystal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

Wow! Mj holiday, I love crab. But I don’t think I could eat 2lb of anything!! I will be looking out for that, but I enjoy wrestling with the crab skeleton to get the meat out, ha ha.

I love the crab myself--but I enjoy it in the shell and even in the shell 2 pounds is too much.

24 minutes ago, Kristal Blade said:

That sounds like a good idea!

Thanks ChucktownSteve.

You're welcome Kristal.

We went to Las Vegas with some other couples for my 50th birthday. At 4am on my actual birth date I hit a full bet, royal flush on the video poker machine.  Ding, ding, ding, ding.  That night I ordered the surf and turf with a 5 pound lobster.  The wife got the steak and I enjoyed the lobster.  Fortunately, I can't do that any more. lol

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Question for those experienced on Regent.  Well, a couple of questions, if you are willing to indulge me.  Apologies in advance.  When we made the reservation, the TA asked if we were celebrating anything on our cruise.  I said not really.  She pointed out that the cruise would be less than a month prior to my 55th birthday, so that was a celebration, and that is in our reservation notes.

My husband has since remarked that our 20th wedding anniversary is the prior January (the cruise is in April 2023).  I am wondering whether to add that to the reservation.  I have also noticed that there are packages one can add prior to the cruise: one is an anniversary package, and involves cake and champagne.  Has anyone done the anniversary package?  How does Regent handle the anniversary package?  I was looking at the vow renewal package, too, but that seems like a bit much for twenty years.

Having had two birthdays on Regent cruises I can confirm that they do help with the celebrations. Usually a ‘surprise’ in your suite and also in whichever dining venue you are in. Normally taken from your passport for birthdays, you’ll need to inform for other occasions 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ysolde said:

Question for those experienced on Regent.  Well, a couple of questions, if you are willing to indulge me.  Apologies in advance.  When we made the reservation, the TA asked if we were celebrating anything on our cruise.  I said not really.  She pointed out that the cruise would be less than a month prior to my 55th birthday, so that was a celebration, and that is in our reservation notes.

My husband has since remarked that our 20th wedding anniversary is the prior January (the cruise is in April 2023).  I am wondering whether to add that to the reservation.  I have also noticed that there are packages one can add prior to the cruise: one is an anniversary package, and involves cake and champagne.  Has anyone done the anniversary package?  How does Regent handle the anniversary package?  I was looking at the vow renewal package, too, but that seems like a bit much for twenty years.

'We renewed our  wedding vows for 25th wedding anniversary in 2010 and also my 50th birthday . It was really nicely handled quite simple and understated. 
We boarded Mariner on the day of our 30th wedding anniversary, we hadn’t mentioned anything to our TA when we booked. We had taken our cards with us to open and had then set up in the cabin.

After dinner that evening we went back to the cabin our Butler and stewards had decorated the cabin and left chilled champagne.

What a truly lovely unexpected touch, and when we saw them in the morning and thanked them they said, oh well we saw the cards and decided to surprise you. 
One of the many special touches that make Regent the luxury line that it is. Jean.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, liptastic said:

'We renewed our  wedding vows for 25th wedding anniversary in 2010 and also my 50th birthday . It was really nicely handled quite simple and understated. 
We boarded Mariner on the day of our 30th wedding anniversary, we hadn’t mentioned anything to our TA when we booked. We had taken our cards with us to open and had then set up in the cabin.

After dinner that evening we went back to the cabin our Butler and stewards had decorated the cabin and left chilled champagne.

What a truly lovely unexpected touch, and when we saw them in the morning and thanked them they said, oh well we saw the cards and decided to surprise you. 
One of the many special touches that make Regent the luxury line that it is. Jean.

Thank you.  This is useful.  Maybe we can do a quiet vow renewal.  After the way the last couple of years have been (my father passed away in 2019, and we all know about 2020), having something to look forward to in 2023 (or anytime in the future, really) sounds lovely.  We chose Regent for several reasons (ultimately because the way they do things, it sort of is a wash, money-wise).  It sounds like they do things in a nice, quiet way.  Just our style.

• Like 2

ysolde: 

Our experiences having been with Radisson/Regent for about 24 years.   

Regent maintains a 'Dossier (for lack of a better word) on each passenger based on past experiences/requests and feedback obtained from mid-cruise and post-cruise evaluations.  Obviously, this includes birthdays.  Regent, as usual, goes that extra mile/kilometer to meet and exceed expectations--even when we request NO expectations. 

Birthdays.  As these have added-up, spouse and I have specifically, respectfully, asked Staff to refrain from taking time to decorate our Suite on that particular night.  And, no need to have Compass Rose Staff (or Staff at one of the Specialty restaurant venues) gather around our table during dessert time for a sing-along.  Nonetheless, there has always been a Card among the many awaiting us upon arrival in our Suite on embarkation day noting that birthday.  Upon being seated for dinner, a simple acknowledgement from the Maitre d' wishing spouse or me a Happy Birthday.   Of course, have noted other folks prefer something else.  

Anniversaries:  Celebrated our 25th aboard a Radisson (Regent's predecessor) cruise.  Our then-TA coordinated beforehand with Radisson "Customer Relations" for recognition of same at the Anniversary Dinner.  As best I can recall, the Captain stopped by our table.   And, there was a special cake--and a bottle of champagne in our Suite.  

We had-had planned and paid-for a renewal of vows ceremony for our 50th.  That was to be aboard Regent's Splendor this past March for a cruise from San Diego to Miami.  Our current TA  had worked out details well in advance with Regent management at Miami.  There were two "Packages" offered.  We opted for one which included a ceremony and reception, and special champagne.  Cost was about $425.00.  Our TA, her spouse, and a couple who were at our 1970 wedding were also scheduled to be onboard and at the ceremony to be hosted by the Cruise Director. 

Of course--due to COVID, that did not happen.  We got as far as Regent's San Diego hotel on March 13th.  Got word of the cancelation that afternoon.  Back to Seattle on the 14th for stay-at-home.  In the course of time, received full-refund for that cruise, to include the Ceremony which did not happen.  

Then, surprise arrival at our residence on December 21st of a carefully-packaged wooden box.   Contained therein was a bottle of  Veuve Clicquot Brut.  Also, a card from Regent's Director of Development and Guest Experience.  The Director noted we were not able to celebrate our 50th onboard Splendor.  "Warm wishes" for the New Year.   

Typical of Regent going above and beyond.  

To date--three more Regent 2020-2021 cruises have been canceled.  We hold out hope for the next-in-line:  late October aboard Mariner at Barcelona for a crossing to Miami.   No birthdays or anniversary dates will apply to this one.  

To each his own.   Overview  as to Regent experiences is:  ask in a reasonable way for something reasonable--and the response has always been:  "Of course, Sir or Madame."

GOARMY!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, GOARMY said:

ysolde: 

Regent maintains a 'Dossier (for lack of a better word) on each passenger based on past experiences/requests and feedback obtained from mid-cruise and post-cruise evaluations.  Obviously, this includes birthdays.  Regent, as usual, goes that extra mile/kilometer to meet and exceed expectations--even when we request NO expectations. 

Birthdays.  As these have added-up, spouse and I have specifically, respectfully, asked Staff to refrain from taking time to decorate our Suite on that particular night.  And, no need to have Compass Rose Staff (or Staff at one of the Specialty restaurant venues) gather around our table during dessert time for a sing-along.  Nonetheless, there has always been a Card among the many awaiting us upon arrival in our Suite on embarkation day noting that birthday.  Upon being seated for dinner, a simple acknowledgement from the Maitre d' wishing spouse or me a Happy Birthday.   Of course, have noted other folks prefer something else.  

Anniversaries:  Celebrated our 25th aboard a Radisson (Regent's predecessor) cruise.  Our then-TA coordinated beforehand with Radisson "Customer Relations" for recognition of same at the Anniversary Dinner.  As best I can recall, the Captain stopped by our table.   And, there was a special cake--and a bottle of champagne in our Suite.  

We had-had planned and paid-for a renewal of vows ceremony for our 50th.  That was to be aboard Regent's Splendor this past March for a cruise from San Diego to Miami.  Our current TA  had worked out details well in advance with Regent management at Miami.  There were two "Packages" offered.  We opted for one which included a ceremony and reception, and special champagne.  Cost was about $425.00.  Our TA, her spouse, and a couple who were at our 1970 wedding were also scheduled to be onboard and at the ceremony to be hosted by the Cruise Director. 

Of course--due to COVID, that did not happen.  We got as far as Regent's San Diego hotel on March 13th.  Got word of the cancelation that afternoon.  Back to Seattle on the 14th for stay-at-home.  In the course of time, received full-refund for that cruise, to include the Ceremony which did not happen.  

Then, surprise arrival at our residence on December 21st of a carefully-packaged wooden box.   Contained therein was a bottle of  Veuve Clicquot Brut.  Also, a card from Regent's Director of Development and Guest Experience.  The Director noted we were not able to celebrate our 50th onboard Splendor.  "Warm wishes" for the New Year.   

To date--three more Regent 2020-2021 cruises have been canceled.  We hold out hope for the next-in-line:  late October aboard Mariner at Barcelona for a crossing to Miami.   No birthdays or anniversary dates will apply to this one.  

To each his own.   Overview  as to Regent experiences is:  ask in a reasonable way for something reasonable--and the response has always been:  "Of course, Sir or Madame."

GOARMY!

Nice, an that is a reason Regent works.

21 hours ago, GOARMY said:

ysolde: 

GOARMY!

Ya know, the more I think about it, I may just pack my white Lily Pulitzer dress and go with the vow renewal package.  It sounds like Regent does things in a quiet, understated way.  I really like everything I hear.  Here's to cruising in the near future, safely and happily!

ysolde:  As a quick addendum:  

Regent staff at Miami went over every detail as to our planned renewal ceremony.  This included designating a specific time and place on Splendor for that event; having a special table set-up for pictures we planned to bring aboard highlighting the many high points of our marriage--to include photos taken over the years while aboard Radisson and Regent ships.  Making sure there would be someone available to take pictures.  

Details to include food and beverages (and special champagne) to be served were addressed.  Special invitations to be sent to special "guests"--everything we could think of--was covered.  Kind of like what a wedding planner would do.  Those invited included the Food and Beverage Manager whom we had gotten to know on earlier Regent cruises.  He had already been given the heads-up.  

It would have been really-neat.  Oh well.  

--------------

Also--as referenced above by others concerning what cuisine Regent does really-really well:  that would be fish.  Whether salmon, sole, or sea bass--at either main Compass Rose or a specialty restaurant at lunch or dinner--never a miss.  Second the motion as to our very favorite, which is Miso-glazed Chilean Sea Bass served on a banana leaf with sticky rice. 

Another example of Regent going the extra mile is that one can order this "specialty" at dinner even when it is NOT on the menu.  Simply give the heads-up to Dining Room management as to ordering this entre'.  Kitchen staff needs about 48 hours' advance notice to properly prepare that dish.  It is very popular.  

Let us hope for happier times later this year--and into 2022.  Hold out more hope for April, 2022 at Tokyo for cruise to San Francisco.  

Take care, all.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GOARMY said:

Regent staff at Miami went over every detail as to our planned renewal ceremony.  \

Also--as referenced above by others concerning what cuisine Regent does really-really well:  that would be fish.  Whether salmon, sole, or sea bass--at either main Compass Rose or a specialty restaurant at lunch or dinner--never a miss.  Second the motion as to our very favorite, which is Miso-glazed Chilean Sea Bass served on a banana leaf with sticky rice. 

Another example of Regent going the extra mile is that one can order this "specialty" at dinner even when it is NOT on the menu.  Simply give the heads-up to Dining Room management as to ordering this entre'.  Kitchen staff needs about 48 hours' advance notice to properly prepare that dish.  It is very popular.  

GOARMY!

GOARMY, Sorry your plans didn't happen. They sounded GREAT.  It's postings by you and the other regulars that assure me I did the correct thing by booking our Regent cruises!  I'm so even more  looking forward to them.

I anticipate Regent will continue to live up to the high standards once sailing restarts after Covid.  I'm hoping this leopard won't change it's spots.

ChucktownSteve:

It all boils down to what will be considered reasonable--in the current uncertainty of COVID--as a new standard of onboard experience.  Who knows?  

Leopards don't change spots, but some may evolve to cope with the changing climate.  Perhaps trying to stretch an analogy.  As the Sainted Thomas Aquinas opined:  "All analogies limp."  Or, maybe it was Aristotle.    

Anyway--it can be frustrating just-waiting for the next announcement of cancelations.  Our devoted TA keeps placing us on another cruise further down the line.  Chances of being at Barcelona in late October continue to diminish.  Nonetheless, today our TA put in our requests to Regent Air for air itineraries for that voyage.  

To be fully transparent:  we have had the good fortune to cruise on other 5+star lines over the past 26 years.  There has never been a miss while aboard a Seabourn, Crystal, or Silversea ship--either.  It just became easier over the years to default to Regent. 

GOARMY!

33 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

ChucktownSteve:

It all boils down to what will be considered reasonable--in the current uncertainty of COVID--as a new standard of onboard experience.  Who knows?  

Leopards don't change spots, but some may evolve to cope with the changing climate.  Perhaps trying to stretch an analogy.  As the Sainted Thomas Aquinas opined:  "All analogies limp."  Or, maybe it was Aristotle.    

Anyway--it can be frustrating just-waiting for the next announcement of cancelations.  Our devoted TA keeps placing us on another cruise further down the line.  Chances of being at Barcelona in late October continue to diminish.  Nonetheless, today our TA put in our requests to Regent Air for air itineraries for that voyage.  

To be fully transparent:  we have had the good fortune to cruise on other 5+star lines over the past 26 years.  There has never been a miss while aboard a Seabourn, Crystal, or Silversea ship--either.  It just became easier over the years to default to Regent. 

GOARMY!

Understood. I can go with the flow due to their unforeseen circumstances. It's what's below the surface that makes it acceptable.  Maybe I'm being overly opportunistic.  However I booked our first of three Regent cruises for May '22 so I hopefully expect things will have progressed more toward normal by then. Wish it were sooner though

Not interested in looking at Silversea since RCG bought the balance of ownership.  I saw what they did to Celebrity once they got out from under the five year contract provision after buying from Chandris. .

Edited by ChucktownSteve