Have heard negative things about Viking

sjde

4 hours ago, sjde said:

Getting back to the tipping issue,  if the first and last days are half days ,

I count them as one full day for tipping.

They may be half days, but the staff work doubly hard getting passengers off the ship and welcoming the new passengers on board.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sjde said:

Getting back to the tipping issue,  if the first and last days are half days ,

I count them as one full day for tipping.

Since I started this post,  we have taken a Viking cruise- last year Christmas markets from Prague to Paris . I don’t think we ‘d take another one. One of the biggest appeals for us for river cruising is the fact that you can just walk off the ship and be right in a small town and you can walk on and off at will . But with a lot of our ports on this cruise we were docked far away from the city and had to take a long bus ride in . It was VERY  cold and we had three or four hours on our own to shop or eat or whatever and we  we had to wait for the bus;  we ‘d have preferred to be able to walk on and off the boat at will . I don’t know if all their itineraries are like this  or if they’re trying to save money by docking further out or what. They own their buses. 

You've described our experience in June on the Rhine with Avalon.  We also were looking forward to walking right off the ship into the small towns and exploring.  It didn't happen.  It was bus after bus after bus.

Just tonight my DW and I were discussing whether or not we will ever take another river cruise.  My DW explained how we spent way too much time in transit on the river cruise.  There was no case of going from Point A to Point B.  Instead, it was dock close to Point A, take a bus to Point A, walk around for a few hours, take a bus back to Point A and then take the ship and sail to a dock close to Point B and start it all over again.  We were excited that we were overnighting in Amsterdam and even there we were docked so far away that it was take a bus into the city.  Our previous visit to Amsterdam was to board an ocean cruise and we stayed in a hotel downtown and walked to the canal cruise instead of bussing to it like we did on our river cruise.  We much preferred our previous Amsterdam cruise.

I think part of the problem is over tourism on the rivers.  Just too many cruise ships and many places are pushing the ships to dock in industrial areas.  We heard loud and clear from tour guides to please be respectful and mindful that the residents of the towns we are visiting are the people actually paying taxes and trying to live their lives.  Over tourism is an issue for ocean cruises and river cruises.

13 hours ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

Every course was served in sequence at the same. If you skipped the starter, you had to wait until everyone reached the main course. Nil 2 seater tables for couples. 

I think this is the case for all river cruises - meals are at a set time and served in sequence at same time 

I skipped the starter sometimes on Scenic too and just waited for main course to come when everyone else's  main courses came out. 

Didn't bother me though, if I chose not t o have a starter I expected that to happen.

Is currently  a thread running on 2 seater tables - very few on any line.

Both of above seem issues of river cruises in general rather than Viking specifically - and also seem expected things if any research was done beforehand.

• Like 1

Another thing we didn’t care for about Viking was that I don’t believe there were any two tops for dining and I don’t know about four tops either. There were  times we would’ve liked not to have been in a large group , esp breakfast.
And my original comment about it being the Carnival of river cruises- I have since been told that it is not that way anymore .

10 hours ago, Kristelle said:

I think this is the case for all river cruises - meals are at a set time and served in sequence at same time 

I skipped the starter sometimes on Scenic too and just waited for main course to come when everyone else's  main courses came out. 

Didn't bother me though, if I chose not t o have a starter I expected that to happen.

Is currently  a thread running on 2 seater tables - very few on any line.

Both of above seem issues of river cruises in general rather than Viking specifically - and also seem expected things if any research was done beforehand.

We had a different experience on AmaMagna. When we say at a 2-top and skipped appetizers, there was no delay in getting our main course.

But yes, meals were still served at the same time for everyone. The difference between first & last seated might be about 20 minutes, but not like an hour later or anything.

7 hours ago, RobInMN said:

We had a different experience on AmaMagna. When we say at a 2-top and skipped appetizers, there was no delay in getting our main course.

But yes, meals were still served at the same time for everyone. The difference between first & last seated might be about 20 minutes, but not like an hour later or anything.

To be fair to Scenic, when I said I wouldn't have a Starter, I didn't ask for my main to be done before everyone else's.

Maybe they would if I asked. Didn't bother me though so I didn't ask.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sjde said:

So do they have extra large staterooms? 

Yes.

https://www.amawaterways.com/ships/amamagna-river-cruise-ship#Staterooms

Aquarium - 205 sq ft

"Smaller" rooms in the back 1/3 - 252 sq ft

Standard balconies - 355 sq ft

Suites - 474 & 710

See my pictures in this post of the standard balcony:

Edited by RobInMN

6 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

To be fair to Scenic, when I said I wouldn't have a Starter, I didn't ask for my main to be done before everyone else's.

Maybe they would if I asked. Didn't bother me though so I didn't ask.

Neither did we. I don't know if they just normally treat each table independently, but it was not different than on an ocean cruise when we sit at a 2 top (or 4 top if with DD)

10 minutes ago, sjde said:

I don’t know the square footage of other cruise lines so I’ll look it up to compare. 

Here's AmaSiena's sizes. She's actually newer, but as far as Ama's 443 ft long ships, this seems standard:

Aquarium - 160 sq ft

Smallest rooms in the very back - 150 sq ft

Smaller balcony rooms - 170 sq ft

Standard balconies - 210 sq ft

Larger balconies - 235 sq ft

Suite - 350 sq ft

78 staterooms 156 passengers. I imagine that a similar ship by length & stateroom count would be very similar.

2 hours ago, RobInMN said:

The length is standard, but the double width means everything on the ship can be roomier.  Cabins, as noted above.  Also the galley – which is most relevant to this current discussion as the larger kitchen crew has more room to work in and therefore can be more flexible.

Never having cruised with any other than Scenic I can only say how we found it and over the years the  restaurant teams are more than willing to help out with any request well any of the staff are. If you have a request just ask the more off the wall the usually happier they are.  It makes their job more interesting. It’s how  years ago I got my DH a tour of the wheelhouse no one had asked before. Mind you that backfired I would loose him for hours well evidently the technicalities of any form of boating crosses many borders - river cruise vessels as opposed to narrow-boating then throw in an inshore fisherman - Australian and a yachtsman - New Zealander according to DH one of the best holidays ever, oh well he was very happy.

In comparison to Avalon and AMA, Viking, in our experience, seemed to have tightest cabin arrangement,most American and fewest international passengers, and only large dining tables. At times, it seemed very college dining hall style. Tour groups were large. Also, constant recommendation by CD to sign up for future cruise coupons a bit over the top and contrasted with more laidback experiences on other lines. Trip was well organized but felt very scripted.

We return to Avalon this year, but this is what we recall of our River experiences and why we will return for 3rd time to Avalon.

On any line, there are many devoted fans of that line!

On 8/16/2024 at 10:44 AM, FirstTimeFreddy said:

August 2024 -  We lasted just two days on board the Viking Tialfi's Rhine Getaway before self curtailing. It was our first river cruise and will certainly be the last. It was like a cattle market. Forced to sit on large tables making meals awkward and uncomfortable. The noise was awful with nearly 200 people crammed into the Restaurant, shouting conversation at one another. Every course was served in sequence at the same. If you skipped the starter, you had to wait until everyone reached the main course. Nil 2 seater tables for couples. Nothing remotely refined or enjoyable about the experience whatsover.

The only escape was the Aquavit Terrace, but this had very limited seating, and you had to camp out to secure a seat at either of the two seater tables. There was also no flexibility offered regarding what time you ate. It was all or nothing! You weren't even allowed to eat your dinner in the Lounge, as crew would only serve you on the Aquavit Terrace. 

Nothing to eat but cookies and apples between meals. If you remained on the longship between lunch and dinner, roughly 6 hours in between, you were left hungry. Not the best if you're a diabetic. We literally had to order take out to be delivered to the boat!

Cabin smelled of sewage upon arrival. Took 24hrs for it to subside. Cabin's were poorly insulated from surrounding noise, and even worse than on a cruise ship. Woken from 6am with the sound of vacuum toilets flushing. PA announcements were made inside our cabin from 8am regarding excursion pick-ups. We hadn't even booked any! We tend to be late risers, so this noise intrusion was awful, and we were even wearing ear plugs. 

We were pi**ed off and exhausted. Viking's ocean cruising product is far superior and better value for money. For our own mental and physical well being we felt we had no choice but to return home. We disembarked at Kehl and took a taxi to Strasbourg airport and flew back home to London at our own cost. The relief when we got home was palpable. The whole thing was an ordeal on our senses from beginning to end. It was the biggest waste of £5k ever, not that Viking will care. Never again.

What a shame, but I agree with others that your experience was caused by lack of research and unrealistic expectations.  When it comes to travel of any kind, reading trip reports and reviews are the key to a successful adventure.  I've experienced most of the things you relate on Avalon river cruises over the years.  I think Avalon delivers the very best product in all areas.  River cruiseships are subject to all kinds of outside influences and that comes with the territory.  I've never experienced severe water-level issues that weren't handled gracefully by Avalon. Main dining rooms are operated about the same on all river ships.  There's always the 'space factor' and cruisers are expected to deal with that.  Dining at private tables makes little sense, everyone does meet at a set time for dinner at shared tables; how else could they manage?  A river cruise is not for people who aren't social.  The MDR is loud at dinnertime, the alternative buffet/cafe is small, but I've never had a problem having a nice quiet meal when I'm 'overwhelmed' by socializing.  Avalon offers room service.  I always have something stashed away for a snack on any trip.  River cruises do not offer the kind of 24/7 food that an ocean ship does.  These little things only announce themselves in reviews and forums, hence the importance of research.  The lack of soundproofing I've not encountered, that would be very upsetting.  I've never been on a ship of any size anywhere that did have some faint odor issues now and then.  Avalon makes announcements selectively, but they do go out everywhere to keep us informed.  Not overbearing at all. Again, it's research and expectations that help make any cruise the best it can be.  

• Like 1

Over my many many years of holidaying around the world using various and at times interesting modes of transport I have learnt to - ask the question?  Now I thought I’d discovered this from our friends across the pond. You can’t put a good inquisitive American (I nearly said - Yank oops) down. I am in their eyes a conservative Brit wouldn’t say boo to a goose wouldn’t put myself forward! Oh yeah don’t you believe it I learnt the lesson early. Putting yourself forward with an open mind. Ask the question the best word is why! I say live up to your reputation inquisitiveness is not being nosey it’s being interested and wanting to make the most of an experience. My wonderful Dad always said never be afraid to ask - you never know. 
Enjoy your cruising.

May I suggest you look into Avalon River Cruises also? They are part of the Globus travel group and their excursions and guides are great. They are in the same price range as Viking except the ships are not as long so less pax. We loved Avalon and have suggested to other first timers who also were very pleased. 

• Like 1

I don’t think all cruise lines offer room service. 
I think Viking only had round tables whereas other lines I’ve been on had square or rectangular tables that could be separated for smaller groups at brft/lunch ( though you were quite close to your neighbors) and put together for dinner.