Is there a benefit to using Princess Cruise Vacation Planner?

curlybelle2

I recently put a cruise on hold and then I received a email  from  a Princess Cruise Planner. What is the benefit of using the planner person? I have always done our reservations myself and handled all changes. Am I missing out on something by doing it on my own?

Thanks!

• Like 2

Have tried to work with 2, over the years, who had contacted me but after several emails back and forth they proved useless to us.  Now use a very reliable local national agency TA.  She has helped us in many ways over the years.

• Like 2

As the above posts point out, some PVPs give excellent service and some are duds. Not much different than travel agents.

If you do not want to use a travel agent, then a knowledgeable PVP can often be of great help.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for you input. I think I will try the PVP and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, I will just go back to doing it myself.

I was hoping that with using a PVP I might get some perks but we will see. 

Thanks again.

Got a random call from one who wanted to be my PVP. I found it odd that he had no idea we had cruised with Princess multiple times in the past. I always booked my own cruises and took care of everything and transferred to a TA at final payment time in order to get a discount on the price. These days, with the changes to transfers, I might just as well have the TA book in the first place. It's good that some folks have a great PVP but I don't feel the need.

• Like 2

Howdy all!  emo22.gif

Posts showing PVP's names have been removed. Please note the following from the Travel Agent Recommendations section in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in content) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts may result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

If anyone has any questions, comments or feedback concerning board moderation, please send your email to the Community Manager LauraS per the following from the Guidelines:

"... Discussion of the management of this community is not allowed on the forums..." 

"... However, we would be happy to address any concerns you have via email.   Please write to the Community Manager at:  community@cruisecritic.com..."

"... The Community Manager has overall control of everything that happens within the Community. The Community Manager oversees how the board is styled, what forums to create and how to organize them, is responsible for our Rules of Participation, what information to require from members and who to appoint as Community Hosts. You may contact the Community Manager at: community@cruisecritic.com..."

"... If you have any questions or comments regarding our posting guidelines or any content found on our message boards please be sure and let me know. I'll be happy to discuss them with you.

LauraS
Senior Manager, Community
community@cruisecritic.com..."

Please send your email from your Cruise Critic email address of record and include your Cruise Critic user name.

I sincerely hope all the above information will be helpfulemo34.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Thanks 2

I recently started using a Princess Vacation Planner, she was ok in the beginning, but every time I called her I had to leave a message on her answering machine. It would take her several hours or the next day to get back to me. My last couple of phone calls, she never even responded at all. I decided to go back to my old ways and do it myself. I'm done using any PVP, it's not worth the aggravation. 

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

The comments about PVP I find very interesting -- both favorable and unfavorable.  Some cruisers’ have stated they are “useless”.  Others state they get “extras” or additional “OBC” by using them.  I’m gland that some cruisers use PVP – their choice.  I have never used a PVP so the comments are interesting indeed. 

The TA we’ve been using for many years is a Princess Commodore.  If that makes any difference.  She is extremely knowledgeable about all cruise lines (she will also book any type of travel as well) and always gets us the best deal going.  I back check every cruise to see if she delivers – which she does.  Call backs are with in the day.   She never gives up until the last minute trying for that best price.   Give us discounts.  A few years ago our TA made special arrangements (because of healthy issues) to get us back from Europe.  She worked (the week end) with the travel insurance company -- no problem.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really like my PVP.  In the past I have used a TA, but given the current situation I like being able to talk directly to Princess.  It has been easy to get my price reductions when I see them on the website.

Pros and cons. Recently I tried to book a cruise online, but I didn't have available FCCs, so it wanted $400 deposit. My PVP was able to move some FCCs from other bookings so I didn't have to come up with any money until final payment is due. Maybe not even then.

OTOH, the other day I was trying to make another booking online where I did have the FCCs, however the website was down. I emailed that to the PVP and asked her to make the booking, which she did with the caveat "If you book online it limits my access to the booking for special prices and extra incentives." Yea, sure. I guess she must get some credit when she makes the booking. I prefer to book online, but it is nice that I can e-mail or call someone direct when I need to.

We made the decision to book an winter 2022 caribbean cruise ourselves. We have always booked our winter cruises and are comfortable with the itinerary.

But we are planning on a Alaska cruise summer of 2022 and we have never been. Since we have never been to Alaska we are going with an PVP. 

This is the plan for now, we'll see how it works! 

Thanks everyone.

2 hours ago, Tak8 said:

I really like my PVP.  In the past I have used a TA, but given the current situation I like being able to talk directly to Princess.  It has been easy to get my price reductions when I see them on the website.

As much as I like the TA we have used for the past 12 years, for the at least near future we will likely be using a PVP.  Our last cruise was to fly from Houston to Singapore and cruise to Shanghai and return to Houston.  We booked with our TA.  He did what he could but we had to do all the "footwork" for refunds.  We canceled the cruise in the first couple of weeks in Feb 2020 for a cruise that started in April 2020.  Princess did announce and cancel the cruise, after we had already cancelled, but backdated the cancellation so it fell within the time we cancelled.  It took us until the first part of December to get the refunds with exception of third party travel insurance.  I talked with Princes customer service several times and was told they will not make refunds for third party travel insurance.  So the $300 for that on a $9000 cruise trip was really a small price, when at first we didn't figure we could get the airfare or the previously booked hotel.  And of course we got more than that in future cruise credit from Princess, so we are very satisfied.  Just ready to use that cruise credit.

2 minutes ago, restasured said:

Ain't it great to be as close to the port as we are.🙂

As Little Beaver used to say, "You betchum, Red Ryder!"

I luck out in the fact I do not have to pay for parking. I park at a friend's house on the island. We are both BOIs & have been friends since the 5th grade. They take me to & from the ship.

Just wish we had a better choice of itineraries out of Galveston. Have been to Cozumel waaaaay too many times! But then, I'm really one of those cruisers that considers whatever ship I'm on is my destination.

1 hour ago, Host Kat said:

As Little Beaver used to say, "You betchum, Red Ryder!"

I luck out in the fact I do not have to pay for parking. I park at a friend's house on the island. We are both BOIs & have been friends since the 5th grade. They take me to & from the ship.

Just wish we had a better choice of itineraries out of Galveston. Have been to Cozumel waaaaay too many times! But then, I'm really one of those cruisers that considers whatever ship I'm on is my destination.

Yes, La Porte is another 20 - 25 minutes further.  Free parking would be great, but parking on the Island is a lot cheaper than many other ports.  When family friends come in from out of town, I am the Taxi taking them and coming back.  Not so bad if they are staying here or going to Hobby, but IAH is a bit more time.  

I agree, would be great to have more choice of destinations.  We too have been to Cozumel and the other standard Western Carib ports over 20 times, but as you say it is the adventure as much as the destination.   Though there have been a few longer cruises to the southern Carib on the cruise sites prior to the Pandemic.

Just want things to get back where cruises start up again and people feel reasonably comfortable to go.

27 minutes ago, restasured said:

... Just want things to get back where cruises start up again and people feel reasonably comfortable to go.

Amen! You are preachin' to the choir.  emo3.gif  

4 hours ago, Host Kat said:

Just wish we had a better choice of itineraries out of Galveston. Have been to Cozumel waaaaay too many times!

3 hours ago, restasured said:

I agree, would be great to have more choice of destinations.  We too have been to Cozumel and the other standard Western Carib ports over 20 times

On a 7 day round-trip cruise there are a limited number of ports that cvan be reached from Galveston.

You both probably have been to every possible port on 7-day cruises from Galveston.

Only itineraries longer than 7 days offer a chance for port variety out of Galveston.