Royal Caribbean Dry Dock Schedule

AF-1

Hello,  does Royal Caribbean normally do large dry docks every five years?  I noticed on their blog that they have some ships scheduled this year; but Jewel of the Seas was last dry docked in 2016 and it is not currently on the 2021 list.  I know the pandemic has affected the schedules.  Just curious as to how this works.  Anyone who has knowledge of this; please chime in

43 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Hello,  does Royal Caribbean normally do large dry docks every five years?  I noticed on their blog that they have some ships scheduled this year; but Jewel of the Seas was last dry docked in 2016 and it is not currently on the 2021 list.  I know the pandemic has affected the schedules.  Just curious as to how this works.  Anyone who has knowledge of this; please chime in

Drydocks can be two different types. 

The first are the relatively quick ones every 5 years or twice every 5 years after the ship is 30.  This is mechanical in nature and done to satisfy regulatory requirements.  Lots of times you won’t even see write ups on these as nothing the public sees changes. 

The second are the longer drydocks that they do at the same time as the regulatory ones where they do lots of upgrades to passenger spaces.  These are the ones that you read and hear about. 

I’m not sure about Jewel specifically but for Radiance class ships Royal has not been adding any new features or doing any changes other than carpet and minor repairs in their drydocks lately. 

She did have a 2-3 week break in her schedule this April before sailings were cancelled so it’s quite possible that she is headed for her regulatory drydock then. 

• Like 1

Ken,   thanks for your answer and update on drydocks.  I appreciate it.  According to marine traffic website;  Jewel is anchored in southampton;  so maybe the drydock will happen in europe

1 minute ago, AF-1 said:

Ken,   thanks for your answer and update on drydocks.  I appreciate it.  According to marine traffic website;  Jewel is anchored in southampton;  so maybe the drydock will happen in europe

Possibly.  I would not expect a guest to notice any changes with or without a drydock for her. It will be as basic as it can get. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Does anyone know if Allure got her refurb in May last year while all this was going on?  I'm betting we DO get to cruise Sept. 12th, but just

wondered.

My understanding is they just did repairs and the general maintenance.  No upgrades per say.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Required mechanical work for her 5 year certification 

We were last on her in March 2017 so we'll see no difference I'll assume in April 2022.

Edited by Ashland

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We were last on her in March 2017 so we'll see no difference I'll assume in April 2022.

I don’t expect any differences.

The  only things I thought would happen would be to replace Jamie’s with Giovanni’s table, replace Sabor with playmakers, possibly add El Loco fresh instead of mini bites and add Portside BBQ.  I’m not sure they will be spending any money to make those changes. 

• Thanks 1

I saw the RCCL video of what they intended to do, but who knows.  Yes, El Loco Fresh was supposed to go in along with the Lime and Coconut bar, and the water slides and the Abyss.  So we'll probably be among the first passengers to see just what.  Here's the link to their Expansion video:

Just to clarify, under 15 years, the ship can replace one drydocking with an underwater survey, so the ship only drydocks once in 5 years.  After 15 years, the ship cannot do the underwater survey, so it is drydocked twice in 5 years, or roughly every 2.5 years.

Carpet renewal is considered to be "normal wear and tear", and is done on an "as needed" basis.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

I saw the RCCL video of what they intended to do, but who knows.  Yes, El Loco Fresh was supposed to go in along with the Lime and Coconut bar, and the water slides and the Abyss.  So we'll probably be among the first passengers to see just what.  Here's the link to their Expansion video:

Everything in that video was cancelled/postponed. The media in Cadiz around the time of her refurbishment had an article on it, with quotes from chairman of the shipyard. He said upgrades to navigation and propulsion, replacement of propellers; but no refurbishment of anything hotel side.