Government of Canada announces one-year ban for pleasure craft and cruise vessels

YXU AC*SE

1 hour ago, leerathje said:

There are two men named Michael that are in prison in China, because we are holding the Chief Financial Officer of Huawei at the request of the US. We are supporting your request.

We allowed US citizens to transit through to Alaska by boat and car.

There are MANY Canadians that are thrilled KXL is cancelled. 

Give your head a shake!

Uninformed comments and attitude like this is why I left CC last spring!

L.

I have not made any claims about this situation I am only responding to your question

"Name one time that Canada has done something like that to the US."

Which is in the context of Canada having retaliated against an action taken by the US.  Which you would have to admit is a very open ended question and carries the implication that Canada has never taken a tit for tat action against the US.

I just answered your question by giving an example of just such a response.  There are many others throughout the diplomatic history between the US and Canada.  That has nothing to do with the relationship between the two countries, nor anything to do with the current situation, but is a normal part of diplomacy.  

As I said earlier there are numerous cases in the past 100 years where there have been actions taken in response to actions taken by the other

Maybe you should ask less open ended questions.

Here’s a FACT: Today, Feb 4, 2021,  I had a phone conversation with my Holland-America booking rep. She informed me, ‘Holland America has cancelled ALASKA cruises for year 2021.’  So it doesn’t really matter what the ‘WHY and WHO’ issues are. It’s simply DONE for HAL. Over. Kaput. FIN. Toast.  I can not imagine other cruise lines will be different. May of 2022 perhaps?? Perhaps not?? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

She informed me, ‘Holland America has cancelled ALASKA cruises for year 2021.’

After reading HAL's press release in response to the recent Canada ban extension, it's interesting that your PCC made that statement. It seems HAL may be taking a wait and see approach. At a minimum they plan to try to re-open their Alaska hotels to support land-based tours. 2021 Alaska cruises remain bookable on their web site.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/2021-press-releases1/news-02042021-AlaskaCanadaRestrictions.html

Edited by Lido - Lanai
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Like the CDC, this Canadian body may not have complete authority to create these policies.  I assume there are politicians and others in Canada that will seek clarity on the policy and attempt to change the term.  As @Lido-Lanai said, HAL is hedging until they study legal options.

(The CDC only has as much authority as Congress allows, at any point Congress and the courts could step in and halt their control of US ports and commercial traffic.)

2 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

After reading HAL's press release in response to the recent Canada ban extension, it's interesting that your PCC made that statement. It seems HAL may be taking a wait and see approach. At a minimum they plan to try to re-open their Alaska hotels to support land-based tours. 2021 Alaska cruises remain bookable on their web site.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/2021-press-releases1/news-02042021-AlaskaCanadaRestrictions.html

One post somewhere said this: “I’m getting tired of Cruiselines taking $Deposits$ for cruises that they know will never sail. Worse than ‘Bait n Switch’. She offered a good point...

3 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

One post somewhere said this: “I’m getting tired of Cruiselines taking $Deposits$ for cruises that they know will never sail. Worse than ‘Bait n Switch’. She offered a good point...

I couldn't agree more..... my post was referring to your PCC's off the cuff statement.

Edited by Lido - Lanai

Thinking about changing our Sept. 2021 RT from Vancouver to a 7 days Norse Legends instead. But I guess we should wait to see if it's actually cancelled first.

Lots of things may change; Canada may change the ruling as more people get vaccinated and infection rated drop. US may allow temporary exemption for 2021 Alaska cruises and the Foreign port rule.

TGIF! Everyone.

-Paul

13 hours ago, Aquahound said:

They can't just go to Russian waters.  They have to port and debark passengers.  Do you know how far the nearest Russian cruise port is?  These are cruise ships, not Concorde jets.  

The 2021 AK cruise season on anything other than a US line is toast.  Period.  

Have you seen how tiny some of the villages in Greenland are where HAL has gone?  There is literally nothing there but rustic beauty. It is anything BUT a "Cruise Port". If they can do it in Greenland, they can do it somewhere in Russia too. Think outside the box people. Don't just roll over and die.

11 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

Have you seen how tiny some of the villages in Greenland are where HAL has gone?  There is literally nothing there but rustic beauty. It is anything BUT a "Cruise Port". If they can do it in Greenland, they can do it somewhere in Russia too. Think outside the box people. Don't just roll over and die.

You keep saying this but fail to offer suggestions. Tell us. Where can they go in Russia on a 7 night Alaskan cruise and still be able to complete an Alaskan itinerary?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

Nobody is going to roll over and die if there are no cruises to Alaska in 2021.  You make it sound like all we have to do is just tell the CDC, the Canadian and US governments and the cruiselines, that we want to go to Alaska this year so just do it!  Please face reality, unless this virus is contained and most folks are vaccinated and ports actually want cruiseships in their backyard and the ships meet all required safety protocols, then Alaska is not going to happen this year.  End of story.  Start looking at 2022.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Why do you care?  We are all adults and can make our own decisions.   I don't think anyone planning a cruise right now is unaware of a pandemic

22 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Hopefully see a waiver. Otherwise the Alaska cruises start in San Diego,  go to Ensenada,  and then to Skagway? 

San Diego, Ensenada, Santa Barbara, Seattle, skip Vancouver, end in Alaska, add a land tour.

If the cruise part could be squeezed into the CDC’s seven day limitation, it could be a very attractive itinerary.
A waiver is the more practical solution, though. Maybe Alaska can lobby the right people. 

28 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

Interesting how they are pushing for a PVSA waiver.  Might be too little too late though.  The cruise lines are already canceling and refunding passengers.  Even if the waiver was granted (which I doubt), the bureaucracy of it would likely be too late.  Then again, these are unprecedented times, so who knows?

2 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Interesting how they are pushing for a PVSA waiver.  Might be too little too late though.  The cruise lines are already canceling and refunding passengers.  Even if the waiver was granted (which I doubt), the bureaucracy of it would likely be too late.  Then again, these are unprecedented times, so who knows?

Alaska has been pushing for that for quite some time now, even prior to the pandemic.  They stepped up their requests early last fall.  I think the cruise lines may try other tactics.

17 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Interesting how they are pushing for a PVSA waiver.  Might be too little too late though.  The cruise lines are already canceling and refunding passengers.

I have 2 cruises for Alaska in late May... DIY back to back.  I have heard of neither being cancelled, yet.  I expect it mind you... even before this latest news came out.

47 minutes ago, VermeulT said:

I have 2 cruises for Alaska in late May... DIY back to back.  I have heard of neither being cancelled, yet.  I expect it mind you... even before this latest news came out.

What do you mean by DIY B2B? 

4 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Booked on two separate PNRs versus a single booking "Collectors' Cruise"    Scott. 

But literally on the same ship and no break between the two cruises?  If so, you won't be allowed to do that, even if 2021 happens.  The cruise line will catch up with you.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

Except Russia ports are far more complex and expensive when it comes to cruise ships docking.

You can expect that the cruise lines have already considered the options and would do something if those options made economic sense.

Also keep in mind that the cruise lines are dealing with working out requirements with the CDC, running numbers on the costs of implementing those changes, dealing with the question if they want to even run cruises in the short term with the incidence rate, trying to project the impact of the variants as countries are putting on more travel restrictions.

Probably less expensive for the cruise line to just cancel the season and not try to staff the ships, then to incur all of the costs bringing those ships back to cruising condition and then having no or very limited sailings.

Edited by nocl