Cruise with/without a mask

antsp

1 minute ago, slidergirl said:

I just do not have any patience or feelings for anyone who refuses to wear a mask unless she has a legitimate documented medical reason.

I get it, I do. But in this case the person is not saying they won't wear a mask, only that it is difficult and that they wouldn't choose to cruise if wearing a mask was required.

That's a very different thing from someone saying that they WON'T mask up. 

• Like 1

There was just a study released by the NIH stating the effectiveness and effects from mask wearing.

If you google you will find it and find out that the mask is not effective RE: Covid.

Hopefully the study will give government and business sufficient reason not to enforce.

Edited by need2cruisesoon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

That's OK, I've been called worse by now-former friends...

Slidergirl, you brought a smile to my face with this sentence. It brought back memories of my Mom who used to say " I've been called worse by better!"

Thanks

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

There was just a study released by the NIH stating the effectiveness and effects from mask wearing.

If you google you will find it and find out that the mask is not effective RE: Covid.

Hopefully the study will give government and business sufficient reason not to enforce.

Please give the citation to the article you claim that the NIH states masks are not effective RE:Covid. 

I could only find this one from the 22nd April that shows research proving that infected saliva even with asymptomatic carriers of Covid transmit to the uninfected. 

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2021/04/22/study-demonstrates-saliva-can-spread-novel-coronavirus/

This indicates to me mask are still needed.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Thank you. The “my opinion is the only right one” folk’s comments are getting old. Not everyone finds mask wearing easy or even sensible in many situations where others seem to think them necessary. Wearing a mask is a “biggie” for many people and no one has a right to deny that. It is how they feel physically and emotionally.

I asked if there's a treatment for shortness of breath and what did the poster's doctor recommend. I don't think that was invading privacy but rather helping others understand.

6 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I just do not have any patience or feelings for anyone who refuses to wear a mask unless she has a legitimate documented medical reason.

Nor do I. Thank you and of course continue to improve. Hopefully your summer will be a good one. xoc

51 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Please give the citation to the article you claim that the NIH states masks are not effective RE:Covid. 

I could only find this one from the 22nd April that shows research proving that infected saliva even with asymptomatic carriers of Covid transmit to the uninfected. 

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2021/04/22/study-demonstrates-saliva-can-spread-novel-coronavirus/

This indicates to me mask are still needed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7680614/?fbclid=IwAR3waY7zxnXIfk9QxURL2NKbU6UKnHIJybAEFkrYMtdmuK2jnyQ-POUdumg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Okay, this is a hypothesis and looked at in November 2020 even though it mentions January 2021. So it is an idea that is still to be tested.

Thanks. People keep doing that. Taking a "perhaps" or a "maybe" and turning it into FACT. I think it's fine if people want to think that but I truly wish they would share it and have others believe it.

23 minutes ago, clo said:

Nor do I. Thank you and of course continue to improve. Hopefully your summer will be a good one. xoc

Thanks clo. I dropped down from the mountains to camp in Southern Utah.  It felt so nice to be doing my lounge chair potato outside rather than inside my house!  Since it was my first venture outside of going to work in 2 years, I took it easy.  I'll try to scale up over the summer.  Some people did look at me with horror when I had my occasional coughing sprees, but at least I was coughing with a mask on...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, need2cruisesoon said:

This discussion provides a great example of why it is difficult for people without detailed knowledge of the medical field to understand the variety of information that falls under the umbrella of "a published medical study."

The journal in which this article is published is one that was "originally intended as a forum for unconventional ideas without the traditional filter of scientific peer review, 'as long as (the ideas) are coherent and clearly expressed' in order to 'foster the diversity and debate upon which the scientific process thrives." The publication of papers on AIDS denialism led to calls to remove it from PubMed, the United States National Library of Medicine online journal database.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_Hypotheses

While changes have been made since then, and peer review does occur, it is NOT a journal that one would look to for the publication of REPUTABLE studies on which one would base public health practices.

Also, it is most certainly NOT published by the NIH or with any support or contribution from them. It merely appears on PubMed Central (PMC) where you found it because it is (wrongly IMO) still cited in PubMed:

PubMed Central® (PMC) is a free full-text archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature at the U.S. National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine (NIH/NLM).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2021 at 5:58 PM, slidergirl said:

Oh please.  I'm asthmatic, I still have long haul breathing issues.  And, I get claustrophobic with anything tight around my face. I've learned how to deal with it and found some masks that for well for me.  

Edit: read the rest of the thread.  Nevermind.  

Edited by ldubs

On 4/22/2021 at 6:31 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Most honest doctors in this context would call it what it is: a BS excuse for simply not wanting to wear a mask.

I hope you and the other armchair judges never have to experience severe respiratory issues.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I hope you and the other armchair judges never have to experience severe respiratory issues.  

I'm honestly asking, if "shortness of breath" with no underlying disease considered a "severe respiratory" issue?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Edit: read the rest of the thread.  Nevermind.  

Makes no sense.  I've been in this thread since the beginning.  

And, I have experienced severe respiratory issues.  On a nebulizer and have done steroid tapers.  It's called one of the long haul issues.  

I hope you never have to experience any severity of COVID or any of it's long haul issues.  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm honestly asking, if "shortness of breath" with no underlying disease considered a "severe respiratory" issue?

Beats the heck out of me.   What I do know is wearing a mask can be a significant issue for someone with respiratory issues.    

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Makes no sense.  I've been in this thread since the beginning.  

And, I have experienced severe respiratory issues.  On a nebulizer and have done steroid tapers.  It's called one of the long haul issues.  

I hope you never have to experience any severity of COVID or any of it's long haul issues.  

Makes sense because I read a comment you made subsequent to the one I originally quoted.   I saw I was in error because, while not in your experience, you acknowledged that someone else might have medical issues that prevent them from wearing a mask.   I don't judge other's medical conditions.  I don't think my conditions define the universe.   And I certainly don't call other's health problems "BS".  

I am sorry for your medical issue and hope the best for you.  

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Beats the heck out of me.   What I do know is wearing a mask can be a significant issue for someone with respiratory issues.    

Again, and I swear I'm not trying to be argumentative, what is considered a "significant issue"?

Just now, ldubs said:

Use your imagination.  And, yes you are.       

NO, I'M NOT. How dare you? I treat you with respect and this is how I get repaid. I honestly have no idea what a serious (assuming non-life threatening) event is. Does one faint? What? I don't know. I have a lot of medical background so you or anyone can get detailed and I'll likely understand. Honest.

1 minute ago, clo said:

NO, I'M NOT. How dare you? I treat you with respect and this is how I get repaid. I honestly have no idea what a serious (assuming non-life threatening) event is. Does one faint? What? I don't know. I have a lot of medical background so you or anyone can get detailed and I'll likely understand. Honest.

Honestly, stop.

What are you even arguing about? What difference does it make whether someone has a "severe respiratory condition" or a "shortness of breath"?  They have said that they wear a mask when out in public. That is all that need concern you or anyone else.

Some people do not feel it is a good idea to discuss the state of their health on a public message board. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

Honestly, stop.

What are you even arguing about? What difference does it make whether someone has a "severe respiratory condition" or a "shortness of breath"?  They have said that they wear a mask when out in public. That is all that need concern you or anyone else.

Some people do not feel it is a good idea to discuss the state of their health on a public message board. 

Oh, you stop. I would honestly like to know what that issue feels like. I don't like wearing a mask one bit although I do. I'd like to know if perhaps I'm experiencing what others are. It won't stop me from wearing my mask but it might make me understand better.

4 hours ago, clo said:

Again, and I swear I'm not trying to be argumentative, what is considered a "significant issue"?

I would say anything that stops or limits everyday activities. If it is affecting decisions you make in life then it is significant.

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

I also hope not  -- but we are not talking about severe respiratory disease, we are talking about the self-absorbed who, like those who MUST fly with their comfort animals, will fake any sort of NEED to have things their way.

• Thanks 2

Perhaps we should point out that there are folks with all kinds of issues that can impact their ability to travel.  Agoraphobia, claustrophobia, thalassophobia, germaphobia,  etc etc.  And yes, there are apparently some folks who have great difficulty wearing a mask.  The airlines have handled this by simply not allowing the non-masked to fly.  Airports have resolved the issue by not allowing the unmasked to even enter the airport.  In many places the unmasked cannot shop, dine out, or even go their physician's office.  While I do have some compassion for those folks who cannot tolerate a mask, that is something they need to overcome or they must deal with the ramifications.  

I would assume that at some point in the future this mask stuff will fade away.  But for now, it is what it is and folks just have to get with the program or look for an alternative venue.  Personally, I do not see any scientific justification for fully vaccinated folks to wear a mask (for COVID mitigation) but I also understand that if I want to come along I must go along.

Hank

• Like 1