will the crew have to get the vaccine before we cruise

MooNGaTe27

I think this will be one of things which delays cruising for a long time. Wealthy countries are behind schedule on their vaccination plans already. Countries with less developed health systems are not going to prioritise vaccinating young, healthy people so they leave the country to work. Will RC try to buy vaccines privately for them? Is it even possible?

• Like 1

As of now, the CDC's framework doesn't say because vaccines were not approved at the time it was published.  You can be sure it will be updated again and I would bet on some sort of vaccine guideline for crew, and recommendation for passengers.

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

As of now, the CDC's framework doesn't say because vaccines were not approved at the time it was published.  You can be sure it will be updated again and I would bet on some sort of vaccine guideline for crew, and recommendation for passengers.

I can understand the employer’s right to require they be vaccinated, but I don’t see how the CDC can require it. They don’t require it for the healthcare professionals and others that deal with it on a daily basis. But the CDC has not treated the cruise lines fairly at all. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, easyqueasy said:

I can understand the employer’s right to require they be vaccinated, but I don’t see how the CDC can require it.

If I was the cruise line I would only have staff that were vaccinated, even if the CDC did not require it. A ship with an outbreak is not a positive. Reduce the risk and it reduces the chance of outbreak. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Will RC try to buy vaccines privately for them? Is it even possible?

Enough money buys anything.  Early on private companies were able to secure PPE.  I assume they already have something lined up for vaccines.  They might already have a contract signed just waiting their turn.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Thinking about that it sure isn't going to be easy for any line to get that done and be sailing in May, probably not even July

Exactly, I said the very same thing several weeks ago.    If the US and other major countries are having issues getting enough vaccine to vaccinate their own residents they surely won't have a surplus supply for the cruise lines to vaccinate their crew.     And some of these smaller, poorer countries will have issues too.     

Then throw in another twist, some Asian countries are using the vaccine manufactured in China that is said to only be 50% effective (but is still in trials) and no idea if their vaccine works with the new variants from UK and S. Africa.  

This article doesn't state exactly where RCG crew members will get the vaccine. 

Royal Caribbean Group will require crew members to get the COVID-19 vaccine | Crew Center (crew-center.com)  

Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, and Silversea Cruises will require crew members to receive the COVID-19 vaccine prior to boarding and resuming work on its ships. While the decision to require guests to be vaccinated continues, the crew will be required to receive the vaccine. Royal Caribbean crew members received a letter from the company which reads:

“We have been working hard, in collaboration with government entities, scientists and experts to continue to develop our plan to keep our guests, crew and communities we visit safe. The new COVID-19 vaccines present a new opportunity to do just that. The vaccines are a way to build protection for you, your loved ones and our guests.

So far, several vaccines have shown to be effective at preventing both mild and severe symptoms of COVID-19, and we intend to make them a key component of our healthy return to service. Therefore, we expect vaccinations will be required for our crew as part of our plan for your return to working on our ships"

Royal Caribbean Group is still working on the details and doesn't have all the answers at this moment about how, when and where the crew may get the vaccine. The vaccination process may be different depending on the country of residence, the timing of the next contract and whether the crew is already on board or traveling. Royal Caribbean Group will keep updating the crew and asked for patience as the company is working through these details.

Whether or not guests will be required to get the vaccine in order to board the ships remains to be seen. However with the announcements from Saga Cruises and two US river cruise lines, American Queen Steamboat Company and Victory Cruise Lines, that they will require passengers to be fully vaccinated before boarding, it seems like things are going in this direction.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, easyqueasy said:

I can understand the employer’s right to require they be vaccinated, but I don’t see how the CDC can require it. They don’t require it for the healthcare professionals and others that deal with it on a daily basis. But the CDC has not treated the cruise lines fairly at all. 

The CDC cannot require vaccinations of crews on cruise ships.  The CDC could require proof of vaccination for those that enter the US.

You state the CDC has treated the cruise lines unfairly - anything specific?  The CDC guidelines are almost identical to those developed by the cruise lines themselves.  What is unfair about that?

What was a problem is last spring the cruiselines continued cruising after COVID had widely spread and almost every mid March cruise became a wandering journey trying to find a port that would allow disembarking of passengers.

• Like 1

We in the US can't get it figured out on the who , when , where to get vaccinated. Yet people are concerned about getting crew on foreign flagged ships vaccinated.

" Charity begins at Home", let's take care of us first. Money shouldn't "talk".

• Like 4

With so many different vaccines around the world and different efficacies, I would assume since they can't monitor them getting the vaccine, they would at least have to test whether or not they have antibodies before sailing (and of course, covid negative, since getting the vaccine doesn't mean you are immune or can stop spreading it -- another debate).

28 minutes ago, xcell said:

With so many different vaccines around the world and different efficacies, I would assume since they can't monitor them getting the vaccine, they would at least have to test whether or not they have antibodies before sailing (and of course, covid negative, since getting the vaccine doesn't mean you are immune or can stop spreading it -- another debate).

Highly doubtful.

"We are exploring all options regarding vaccinations for guests and crew and it is our intention that all crew members be vaccinated before boarding our vessels to begin their duties, subject to availability of the vaccine," 

And there lies the disclaimer for both crew and children.

Edited by Iamcruzin

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

"We are exploring all options regarding vaccinations for guests and crew and it is our intention that all crew members be vaccinated before boarding our vessels to begin their duties, subject to availability of the vaccine," 

And there lies the disclaimer for both crew and children.

I'm not sure that's how this will work.  I think many of the ports will require the crew and the passengers to be vaccinated, so the cruise lines won't have a choice.

Just now, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm not sure that's how this will work.  I think many of the ports will require the crew and the passengers to be vaccinated, so the cruise lines won't have a choice.

30% of the healthcare workers where my wife works refused the vaccine. If ports are requiring the vaccine then that means no international travel via ship or plane. I don't think that will happen. I would be more concerned going to a third world port that doesn't even have access to the vaccine for their own population. Everyone has a blind eye thinking that once they are vaccinated they won't get covid. You can still have a mild case.  All I know is that I don't even want to have the common cold while on vacation let alone something that will put me in quarantine.

11 hours ago, beerman2 said:

We in the US can't get it figured out on the who , when , where to get vaccinated. Yet people are concerned about getting crew on foreign flagged ships vaccinated.

" Charity begins at Home", let's take care of us first. Money shouldn't "talk".

Believe me money isn't talking in terms of the vaccine. My wife has been working from home. All day she fields calls from name droppers and hospital donors wanting an appointment for the vaccine. They have to wait in line like the rest of us and register on the state website. Patients are being vaccinated at the hospital in priority order. As a matter of fact the State has been shipping more vaccines to the state facilities and has been cutting down sending them to hospitals.