The Daily for Friday Feb 12, 2021

richwmn

21 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! And Happy Chinese New Year, or Lunar New Year, whichever you prefer.

I’ll open with the finished pics of the gingerbread pagoda.

3BED6CE5-589E-405B-8E5F-A41EA5FDF887.thumb.jpeg.9500dfc72c72b8e74b603b47450466b2.jpegCDC1393F-63C9-4E5A-828A-F481A85C8E29.thumb.jpeg.34050e87ba564fab792c9e4fd64cb9bb.jpeg8FFBFC37-B88F-4F85-A154-CDC925ABBDF7.thumb.jpeg.ba4bafa5e51ed9573b551fa132033c3a.jpeg

That is SO beautiful 🙂 

• Like 7

Good morning all!

Thanks @richwmnfor all your work on The Daily and for filling in for @rafinmd

Roy is on my prayer list, hope he is doing okay. I have two friends I would like prayers for. My church custodian fell on the ice and broke his femur. It’s the same side he had a hip replacement so he is in the hospital and may be there a while. Then my pastor caught Covid and is quarantined. We do have in person church for a limited number so hopefully no one else caught it 😳

We made it to our vacation home in Branson safely, roads were fine. Everything is ice covered though which is causing my poor dog some grief when it’s time to go outside. Not sure what we will do about returning home as another storm seems to be on the way. 

The drink of the day sounds delicious and so does the wine (although I’m not sure about  those hints of green pepper, tobacco?) As I think I may have said, I love to go to the HAL wine tastings and you would think after so much experience I would have an educated palate, but ... no.

Stay warm all of you who are in the bitter cold (I am really over winter) and stay safe and healthy all,

St Louis Sal

• Like 13

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Good afternoon everyone from a damp Ireland.

I haven't posted much recently as we have been greatly taken up with DW's daily radiation sessions, which are now completed 👍  Her Radiology, Medical and Surgical Oncologists are happy that she is now cancer free and we are working on getting some weight back on her.  Thank you everyone for the support, prayers and thoughts you have sent our way over the past months.

@rafinmd @richwmn you may now remove her from the 'Care List'.

Having spent the last few hours reading the 'Daily' for the past few days, our thoughts are with those who are suffering and/or need care, to mention a few @rafinmd for a quick and complete recovery, @superoma following her lumpectomy (careful which arm you get your covid vax in!) and @ger_77 steady on girl!   Also anyone else who I have omitted.

Stay safe everyone. 

Great news.  Thanks for sharing with us. What a relief for you both.  Thank you Rich for all the news and taking care of Roy's part.  Roy, we are praying for you to have a speedy recovery.

Enjoyed all the post...got a good giggle over some pictures!!  

Portland/Vacouver WA are quite messy this morning.  Snow over icy roads.  We are back on the coast and it is just wet and windy here.  No snow expected.  The rest of the weekend looks pretty windy, snowy, and icy up north and over the Cascades.  

Have a relaxing day planned.  Catching up on emails and a visit with friends later...we will wear our masks and social distance.  

Take care everyone and thank you to all.  Stay safe and well.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Happy Birthday Mr. Lincoln!  I have several friends whose birthday is today also, plus it's the 11th anniversary of my sister's death.  So kind of a bittersweet day for me.  

Tonight our "big snow" is supposed to start, we'll see how many inches we get.  

The dinner looks really yummy and I have all the ingredients, but I'll file that away for later in the week.  We've had a lot of beef lately, so will wait.  Maybe take-out tonight before the snow hits. 🙂  

@mamaofamicongrats on getting an appointment for your DH!  I do know how hard it can be.

@ger_77I bruise so easily too, so I know what you mean.  After the fall you took, you're probably black and blue from head to toe.  😞  

I thought some photos of flowers might brighten the day, especially for those in the midst of frigid temps.  Going through my photos I found these, some Hellebore, Crocus, and the local daffodil and tulip fields with my grandsons a couple years ago.  Last year (because of Covid) the fields weren't open to walk through like they usually are, we'll see how they handle it this year but I won't be surprised if they do the same as last year.

Hellebore.jpg

crocus.jpg

tulip fields.jpg

daffodils.jpg

Beautiful pictures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

So glad Mrs.VMax has completed her radiation treatments and is now cancer free.  I can't imagine the relief you both must feel to know she is cancer free.  

Lenda

So very happy to hear such good news.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

@VMax1700 - Great news about Ellen! Maybe I'll open my bottle of "The Pouges" Irish whiskey and toast you both tonight!

I have a sack (or two) of Canadian pennies. Does anyone need paperweights? Or maybe a boat anchor? 

Costco has a ravioli lasagna that we think is pretty good. At least good enough that I would think twice before making my own from scratch.

Final London pictures (I think); Globe Theater, Big Ben, and Parliament (no George Clinton)

1669679540_P3300905(2).thumb.JPG.3653dac422e46421fbcdf8d3cc657f36.JPG

P3300912.thumb.JPG.4b75a9c0189d07ef63c2a5cf8165b229.JPG1048173638_P3300914(2).thumb.JPG.785d7744969cc8eb0421f970dc294695.JPG

And St. George's Tavern which was a couple of blocks from my hotel near Victoria Station. I had some wonderful fish & chips there one Saturday evening (and a couple pints of cask ale!). The mushy peas looked a bit terrifying but they were actually quite tasty!

645153913_P3290888(2).thumb.JPG.c715e0d18cdbfcb1e159d03bbbd7904b.JPG

What an amazing coincidence!  We always stay near Victoria Station and have eaten here at St. George's Tavern several times.  Their fish and chips are so good, and you get a huge piece of fish.  The Tavern is only about a block from the hotel we stay at.  In the mornings we liked to walk to Victoria Station to the Sainsbury's just inside the doorway from the street and pick out some goodies for breakfast.  

One time we walked past St. George's Tavern at Happy Hour and were astonished to see the huge group of people throwing back a pint outside on the sidewalk. enhance We always tried to wait a little later after the revelry had died down, and went down the stairwell on the sidewalk to the restaurant underneath.  We never ate upstairs.  Anyway, we highly recommend it.

• Like 18

Thanks all!  Doubly to Rich!  
And Ann,  and Geri and superoma for the wine recommendations!  We’re hooked on J Lohr Cabernet Sauvignon,  even visited Paso Robles,  so will have to give this a go! 
thanks Jacqui for that recipe, sounds wonderful!  Holding off on planting the seeds until I get some pots,  our season is later so hope that works! 

We usually are in Hawaii for Chinese New Year and caught the lion dance one time

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! And Happy Chinese New Year, or Lunar New Year, whichever you prefer.

I’ll open with the finished pics of the gingerbread pagoda.

3BED6CE5-589E-405B-8E5F-A41EA5FDF887.thumb.jpeg.9500dfc72c72b8e74b603b47450466b2.jpegCDC1393F-63C9-4E5A-828A-F481A85C8E29.thumb.jpeg.34050e87ba564fab792c9e4fd64cb9bb.jpeg8FFBFC37-B88F-4F85-A154-CDC925ABBDF7.thumb.jpeg.ba4bafa5e51ed9573b551fa132033c3a.jpeg

I’m pleased with the final product, although there’s a page full of notes on tweaks and corrections for next time. It’s my own design based on a couple of pictures of pagodas, and first time assembling that roof style.There were a couple of construction site accidents along the way, but with a little improvised scaffolding fixed all. I was able to show my DD in Taipei on Skype last night. @DeeniEncinitasthank you for your kind compliments. That is high praise from someone with your amazing artistic skills! @VMax1700welcome back and that is wonderful news about Mrs. VMax! @ger_77the fall aftermath sounds painful! Plenty more rest and wine is called for. (Warning - too much wine leads to more falls. Measure carefully!) The meal, cocktail, and wine all sound like winners. We will be having Char Sui and homemade chow fun noodles tonight.

And finally, Happy Friday! May we see these mats again soon!

70C22C48-5826-4516-AA79-F75C8DE7D0A9.thumb.jpeg.b9375799f7d0ce31f6124c7f6963fcf6.jpeg

Very very nice!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Good afternoon everyone from a damp Ireland.

I haven't posted much recently as we have been greatly taken up with DW's daily radiation sessions, which are now completed 👍  Her Radiology, Medical and Surgical Oncologists are happy that she is now cancer free and we are working on getting some weight back on her.  Thank you everyone for the support, prayers and thoughts you have sent our way over the past months.

@rafinmd @richwmn you may now remove her from the 'Care List'.

Having spent the last few hours reading the 'Daily' for the past few days, our thoughts are with those who are suffering and/or need care, to mention a few @rafinmd for a quick and complete recovery, @superoma following her lumpectomy (careful which arm you get your covid vax in!) and @ger_77 steady on girl!   Also anyone else who I have omitted.

Stay safe everyone. 

Thank you for sharing this news. It is always wonderful to see prayers upheld and fulfilled.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

What an amazing coincidence!  We always stay near Victoria Station and have eaten here at St. George's Tavern several times.  Their fish and chips are so good, and you get a huge piece of fish.  The Tavern is only about a block from the hotel we stay at.  In the mornings we liked to walk to Victoria Station to the Sainsbury's just inside the doorway from the street and pick out some goodies for breakfast.  

One time we walked past St. George's Tavern at Happy Hour and were astonished to see the huge group of people throwing back a pint outside on the sidewalk. enhance We always tried to wait a little later after the revelry had died down, and went down the stairwell on the sidewalk to the restaurant underneath.  We never ate upstairs.  Anyway, we highly recommend it.

Small world! I was staying at the DoubleTree by Hilton. I sure enjoyed the hotel's "Full English" breakfasts. England is a place I very much want to visit again. I have always felt comfortable there, maybe it has something to do with how much time I spent in Canada....

Editing to add that I have also shopped in that Sainsbury's

Edited by Overhead Fred
  • Like 10

February 12th, a year ago, was on a Wednesday,  and at last on our Westerdam “non cruise “ we had word that we would be able to dock in Thailand!  We would arrive there sometime tomorrow, and flights would be scheduled out of Bangkok.  We were so glad we booked our flights with HAL, as they took care of all our scheduled changes.  We were not planning to fly home, but to Seattle, to visit our son and family President’s Day week.  In the morning,  a Westerdam Crew Farewell show filled the stage with everyone, except the Captain, who had had so much to deal with!  Let’s admit that it was quite emotional for staff and passengers.  We’re sailing in a southerly direction with somewhere to go!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@Cruise Suzy Great news, you got your second shots.

@TiogaCruiserThanks for sending some of your rain our way.  🌧️  We can use all we can get.  If you have any extra, we can us it too.  

I'm doing a small happy dance since our wandering bathmats finally got to Quartzsite after a 17  day tour of the country.  They are already residing in the bathrooms.  Now, if I slip it will be my own fault.🤣

Lenda

• Like 16

58 minutes ago, bobpatj said:

February 12th, a year ago, was on a Wednesday,  and at last on our Westerdam “non cruise “ we had word that we would be able to dock in Thailand!  We would arrive there sometime tomorrow, and flights would be scheduled out of Bangkok.  We were so glad we booked our flights with HAL, as they took care of all our scheduled changes.  We were not planning to fly home, but to Seattle, to visit our son and family President’s Day week.  In the morning,  a Westerdam Crew Farewell show filled the stage with everyone, except the Captain, who had had so much to deal with!  Let’s admit that it was quite emotional for staff and passengers.  We’re sailing in a southerly direction with somewhere to go!

We had booked our own flights, so we had to get online and book a flight from Bangkok to Seattle.  The ship provided free wi fi and satellite phone if needed.  Hundreds of passengers were trying to book so it was kind of slow and frustrating.  Finally at about 3:00 AM we had the flights booked and got back to sleep.  We got a rude awakening a little later in the day.

• Like 8

Thanks to everyone for all the reports and information.

@VMax1700 it's wonderful news to be told "free of cancer."  Hope she continues to do well.

Has anyone heard how @rafinmd is ?

Chinese New Year was celebrated last evening at the Chinese Gardens.  Photos in the newspaper this morning.

Sunny day, lots of blue sky, but some cloud,  expecting 21C.

Stay well and safe everyone.

• Like 11