Will you cruise if vaccination is mandatory in order to board?

Thrak

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

As a matter of interest, the WHO now says that it is better if the second injection is delayed until 12 weeks after the first one. The longer the wait after the first injection, the more efficacious is the second. So, don't rush to have your second injection, and certainly don't have one only three weeks after the first one.

Which vaccine?  Different vaccines have different protocols.

11 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

21 for Pfizer and 28 for Moderna.

We got the Moderna vaccine. Friends got it the next day. They got appointments because I sent them email immediately after I found out they were available and jumped on it. The appointments were filled in another hour. They got a second card saying when they were eligible for the second dose. We didn't get one. Also, our immunization card had the wrong date (February 3rd) stamped on it. They drew a line through that date and wrote in the 2nd above it. Wow. Great and "professional" handling of our official vaccination cards! -- Yes, I know it was done by volunteers and I "shouldn't" complain but I worry about some inspector down the line somewhere questioning the validity of our vaccination cards.

Our TA had his second injection. Here is a direct cut and paste from an email he sent:

==========

FYI

My 2nd injection did not go well. Next day I thought someone throat punched me!  I was down & out FYI. 

My first injection, never felt & no reaction. 
==========

GAH! Hopefully ours will go better.

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

As a matter of interest, the WHO now says that it is better if the second injection is delayed until 12 weeks after the first one. The longer the wait after the first injection, the more efficacious is the second. So, don't rush to have your second injection, and certainly don't have one only three weeks after the first one.

Not according to this article

https://news.un.org/en/story/2021/01/1083022

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, but the article you quote is older than the two I referenced yesterday.

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

I am not seeing in these articles any change in WHO's recommendations, only that they will be looking at the UK data.

"Asked whether the WHO could change its advice, Dr Nabarro said the organisation's committee of experts is "meeting pretty often at the moment" and will "look again at the doses as a result of the UK's experience"."

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Both the Pfizer/Moderna and the Oxford Zeneca vaccines are being given 12 weeks apart in the UK.

The UK has their own plan which is different than manufacturers recommendations. Hope it does not backfire.  In the USA at this time the manufacturers protocols are being followed.  My second dose of Pfizer is at 21 days. They made my appointment when I got the first dose. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

The UK has their own plan which is different than manufacturers recommendations. Hope it does not backfire.  In the USA at this time the manufacturers protocols are being followed.  My second dose of Pfizer is at 21 days. They made my appointment when I got the first dose. 

The UK took the decision to vaccinate as many people as pissibke with one dose, rather than give half as many people two doses, as there is only around a 5% increase in efficacy from having a second dose.

Obviously too early at this stage to say if this was the correct decision, but there is growing support for the theory that a longer gap between the two doses can be more advantageous.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Edited by wowzz

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

Our TA had his second injection. Here is a direct cut and paste from an email he sent:

==========

FYI

My 2nd injection did not go well. Next day I thought someone throat punched me!  I was down & out FYI. 

My first injection, never felt & no reaction. 
==========

Anecdotal I know, but friends of ours had a similar experience, but not nearly as bad. More like a cold for a few days. You'll likely be just fine.

Doug.

Edited by PaperSniper4
trying to follow topic

49 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The UK took the decision to vaccinate as many people as pissibke with one dose, rather than give half as many people two doses, as there is only around a 5% increase in efficacy from having a second dose.

Obviously too early at this stage to say if this was the correct decision, but there is growing support for the theory that a longer gap between the two doses can be more advantageous.

I would be concerned that the support for a longer gap being advantageous  is biased to justify the UK decision to vaccinate with one dose. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Both the Pfizer/Moderna and the Oxford Zeneca vaccines are being given 12 weeks apart in the UK.

Must disagree. My mother 99 yrs old has had both shots ( Pfizer) in the 3 week period as recommended. Weston-Super-Mare UK.

We will cruise with masks and with vaccine. Hubby has had 2 shoots and I am waiting for an appointment for my second. here in Florida.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

Must disagree. My mother 99 yrs old has had both shots ( Pfizer) in the 3 week period as recommended. Weston-Super-Mare UK.

We will cruise with masks and with vaccine. Hubby has had 2 shoots and I am waiting for an appointment for my second. here in Florida.

There are a number of people, around 500,000, iirc, that have been given two doses in the UK, but the vast majority are being given the second dose 12 weeks or so after the first one. 

21 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I would be concerned that the support for a longer gap being advantageous  is biased to justify the UK decision to vaccinate with one dose. 

Don't forget that the UK will be giving out a second dose in due course.

Also, it should be remembered that the 3 week or 4 week gap between doses, as recommended by the manufacturers,  is not based on comparison with any other time periods. The trials were based on the 3 or 4 week gaps, in order to speed the approval basis. There was insufficient time to compare a 3 week to a 12 week gap, so from a scientific basis, there is nothing to say that a 12 week gap is any worse than a 3 week gap.

17 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Sorry, Thrak, but Daniel A's question requires a longer answer.

Why would I (or you) care if the cruise line does NOT require a vaccination?  If I have been vaccinated (both doses), I am 95%+ protected.  If others are not vaccinated, it makes no difference to me -- let them court the illness, I am reasonably safe.

One reason being if enough  unvaccinated passengers develop covid your cruise can stop abruptly. I'm not willing to risk the chance that my limited vacation time is interrupted. So my answer to Daniel is no.

Edited by Iamcruzin

9 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

21 for Pfizer and 28 for Moderna.

According to the CDC Moderna dosage advice is as follows:

"Persons age 18 years and older should receive 2 doses at least 28 days apart.

Second doses administered up to 4 days before the recommended date (24 or more days after first dose) are considered valid. However, doses administered earlier do not need to be repeated.

Second doses should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible.

Do not use the grace period to schedule appointments for the second dose.

There is no maximum interval between the first and second dose."

See more here:  Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine Information | CDC

Yes.  Hoping all the cruise lines announce this asap so that we can get back to semi-normal cruising for the summer.

I had the Moderna vaccine earlier this week, no problems, and the very last thing on my list of worries is worry about how I'll feel after the second dose.  

Let's put this behind us.

• Like 4

I sincerely hope that cruise lines require a vaccine in order to cruise; I also hope that all staff on board are vaccinated. 

I will be vaccinated, I will wear a mask, I will take ship-sponsored shore excursions.

I want to cruise!

• Like 1