Will you cruise if vaccination is mandatory in order to board?

Thrak

Thrak: Yes, I would sail if vaccinations are required & believe it should be required.

Daniel A: Maybe, we have cruises booked for Fall ‘21 & Spring ‘22 from our homeport of LA. We’ll be vaccinated before those cruises & will make a go/no go decision closer to sailing.

I want vaccinations to be required to minimize the chances of anyone spreading the virus onboard. If that happens a still to be determined procedure would be implemented but based on past situations it could result in a lengthy quarantine & problems being able to disembark. And even worse it could cause fatalities so vaccinations should be required to do everything possible to prevent the virus onboard. The experts still don’t know how long the vaccines will provide protection nor about how long those who have recovered have some protection.

Cruise lines know that if outbreaks occur the restrictions will get worse & could result in another shutdown of the cruise industry which would be catastrophic to their survival.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

Sorry, Thrak, but Daniel A's question requires a longer answer.

Why would I (or you) care if the cruise line does NOT require a vaccination?  If I have been vaccinated (both doses), I am 95%+ protected.  If others are not vaccinated, it makes no difference to me -- let them court the illness, I am reasonably safe.

The concern for me would be the possibility of an outbreak on the ship and the resulting quarantine, change of itinerary, etc.  That's much less likely if vaccination is required for passengers and crew

• Like 5

I had my first shot and help 450 others get shot working at a vaccination pod.  The only way life start to return to normal is for people to start taking this seriously, stop thinking the government has made it up.  People are DYING!  Get your shot so we can get back to life and back on board!  15 days until shot number 2!

• Like 8

I will only cruise after I am vaccinated.  And I will only cruise if most others are vaccinated as well.  Why do I care if others are vaccinated if I am?  Simple.  Suppose you go on a cruise with 3,000 other guests and only 500 are vaccinated.  Now suppose that the ship suffers an outbreak.  Which is the more likely outcome...disembarking 2,500 people at a port so that the remaining 500 can enjoy the rest of the cruise, or the entire cruise being scrapped mid-voyage with the risk of you getting stuck in some foreign port for a week or two before authorities can unscramble the whole mess?  Bottom line is that I will only cruise once I have confidence that cruises will start and end on time, with no unreasonable risk of disruption.  150% fare refunds are fun, but I don't need one that badly.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

I would care if those who aren't vaccinated caused the cruise to be cut short or the ship to be quarantined.

Also, would it be more likely that the ship or the ports would require bubble excursions if there were unvaccinated passengers?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

sse so we have no issue with this "possible" requirement. (We obviously don't know if this will ever be a requirement.) What is your view? As with the thread on masks, I'm just looking for a YES or NO 

Will you cruise if vaccination is mandatory in order to board?

Yes. got shot 2 this morning.

29 minutes ago, GottaLuvCruising said:

I don't think I'll cruise if masks are still mandated...so over it.

I am in agreement...for now.  If masks are required, that means that the overall cruise atmosphere will be altered too drastically for me to want partake.  But if masks become the norm and stay that way for several years, I suppose I might break down and join in.  I doubt that will come to pass, so for now, I will hold back until my time on a ship more closely resembles what I know and love.

• Like 3

Maybe - I get my second shot in a few days.  My husband is months away from being eligible for the vaccine.  My children don't even have a vaccine approved for them.  We've got a cruise booked for November and another in December.  I would certainly feel more comfortable if my kids were vaccinated before getting on a ship.  Ideally, I would love for vaccines to be mandatory and for everyone to be eligible to get one.

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

has anyone posted NO yet ? - why would they ?

I was curious as I know there are folks here on CC who don't believe in wearing masks, aren't interested in getting the vaccine, and maybe feel COVID is a hoax. I wondered if they would chime in here. It seems to me those folks would be pretty peeved if vaccination is a requirement.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Why would I (or you) care if the cruise line does NOT require a vaccination?  If I have been vaccinated (both doses), I am 95%+ protected.  If others are not vaccinated, it makes no difference to me -- let them court the illness, I am reasonably safe.

The reason I would want the others vaccinated is that after spending a few thousand on a cruise I would not to have it cut short or have ports refuse the ship because of Covid cases.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Why would I (or you) care if the cruise line does NOT require a vaccination?.....

Think quarantine.........I don't know what might happen if a ship had several cases of the virus, but I'd rather not take that chance. I want everyone on board to have had the vaccine. As much as we love spending time on a ship, I remember the passengers' experience on the Grand Princess about a year ago. BTW, we WERE scheduled for that particular cruise, but had to cancel for an unrelated family illness. Oddly enough, we ARE scheduled for a cruise on that same ship in 2022. 😉

Doug

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I am so glad you recovered.  Meet me someday onboard and I'll buy you a cocktail!  🍻

Thanks! First cruise is a California Coastal on the Majestic Princess, our favorite ship! I'm originally from Brooklyn!