NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE IS A RIP OFF CRUISE LINE.

canmorealberta

NCL cancelled our 2 weeks cruise from Papeete, French Polynesia to Honolulu in March 2020.NCL refused to provide cash refund instead issued C$8,761.40 cruise credits in Can $. ???.
For last week we are trying to book cruises with our travel agent but NCL is refusing to convert our cruise credits to US$ approx. 6,890.00.The cruises we trying to book are NCL cruises priced in US$.
Our travel agent is only set up to make bookings in US$. The reason we would like to book with our travel agent because of LOWER PRICES AND BETTER SERVICE.
As it is right now NCL is refusing cash refunds and their C$ cruise credits are useless.
Stay away from NCL ,book with other professional cruise lines.

In March 2020 we had the option to request cash refunds if we did so in the time frame allotted.  That has long since passed.  Since you did not request the cash refund you accepted the terms of FCC, including that currency could not be converted.  The fact that your chosen TA only books in USD is on your TA not NCL.  Get another TA, problem solved.

• Like 8

Doubtful that NCL cancelled your March 2020 cruise. I'm betting that the government cancelled your cruise by issuing a no sail order.

Unfortunately, NCL caught onto the currency conversion game a long time ago and they've put things in place to prevent people from using exchange rates to take advantage of them. That is just smart business. The fact that you can't use this to your advantage does not make it a "rip off", even when capitalized.

• Like 4

im sorry, but i think you are completely off base. a rip off is something that you pay for that is over priced, or not getting what you paid for.

the cancelled cruises are no fault of ncl. you suggest trying another line, but NOBODY IS SAILING right

now, you  used a travel agent to try and save a few bucks .for the last 5 years, i have used a very bright, attentive and knowedgeable  norwegian cruise consultant and never... ever had a problem.

i concede that ncl does not have the greatest consumer friendly policies, but the go to places i want to visit, at a price i'm willing to pay.  we've had 4 cruises cancelled since march 2020, and ive used the credits on other sailings, since i expect to sail once again.

you may not have gotten what you wanted, but ripped off, sorry, no 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, canmorealberta said:
As it is right now NCL is refusing cash refunds and their C$ cruise credits are useless.

If you think other cruise lines will let you use C$ credit to apply towards a US$ booking, you are sadly mistaken and plain out of  luck. No cruise line would do that. Have fun enjoying your land vacation.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, canmorealberta said:
NCL cancelled our 2 weeks cruise from Papeete, French Polynesia to Honolulu in March 2020.NCL refused to provide cash refund instead issued C$8,761.40 cruise credits in Can $. ???.
For last week we are trying to book cruises with our travel agent but NCL is refusing to convert our cruise credits to US$ approx. 6,890.00.The cruises we trying to book are NCL cruises priced in US$.
Our travel agent is only set up to make bookings in US$. The reason we would like to book with our travel agent because of LOWER PRICES AND BETTER SERVICE.

Find another T/A you only get what you’ve paid for, right first time for profit.

1) Go to a TA in Canada who will book the cruises in CAD.

2) Are you are sure it is BETTER SERVICE when they can only book in USD!!

3) Stay away from NCL ,book with other professional cruise lines.    But you didn't book with NCL!!

4) What is your problem with NCL; it is your TA that doesn't do what you want to do?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, casofilia said:

1) Go to a TA in Canada who will book the cruises in CAD.

2) Are you are sure it is BETTER SERVICE when they can only book in USD!!

3) Stay away from NCL ,book with other professional cruise lines.    But you didn't book with NCL!!

4) What is your problem with NCL; it is your TA that doesn't do what you want to do?

Right? NCL won't convert their CAD credit to USD so NCL bad. TA won't convert their USD price to CAD but TA good.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, canmorealberta said:

All NCL cancellations since the start of the pandemic were afforded the option of a cash refund. Those who chose a future cruise credit now have until the end of the year to rebook. 

• Like 1

I can understand where the OP is coming from. You can convert Cruise Next certificates into the currency you need for your booking so why not FCC.

I have some USD FCC from a previous booking but all my bookings are in € so it is no use to me at the moment, fortunately in my case it isn't much.

4 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

I can understand where the OP is coming from. You can convert Cruise Next certificates into the currency you need for your booking so why not FCC.

I have some USD FCC from a previous booking but all my bookings are in € so it is no use to me at the moment, fortunately in my case it isn't much.

I thought your cruise next certificates are based on how you paid for them/which currency? For instance, mine are paid in CDN dollars via credit card. When I log into my NCL account, it shows them in CDN (though I know it is $250 USD).

I have Cruise Next certificates in CAD and USD. I booked a cruise in USD on a US online Travel Agent site so my CNs were issued in USD. My next cruise I booked with NCL online so it automatically defaulted to CAD and when I bought CNs on board they were issued in CAD. When I have booked a cruise online with NCL, they have converted my USD CNs to CAD for the deposit. Maybe a US TA can't do that conversion with FCCs? Maybe NCL would do it if OP booked direct.

On 2/15/2021 at 12:27 PM, MoCruiseFan said:

In March 2020 we had the option to request cash refunds if we did so in the time frame allotted.  That has long since passed.  Since you did not request the cash refund you accepted the terms of FCC, including that currency could not be converted.  The fact that your chosen TA only books in USD is on your TA not NCL.  Get another TA, problem solved.

Do you or anyone else know if any of the other cruise lines let you just pick up your cancelled cruise and move it to the next year.

16 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

Do you or anyone else know if any of the other cruise lines let you just pick up your cancelled cruise and move it to the next year.

Royal Caribbean. Look on their board for Lift and Shift. They let you move to the same, ship, cabin, itinerary for the following year.

On 2/16/2021 at 11:54 AM, disneykins said:

I have Cruise Next certificates in CAD and USD. I booked a cruise in USD on a US online Travel Agent site so my CNs were issued in USD. My next cruise I booked with NCL online so it automatically defaulted to CAD and when I bought CNs on board they were issued in CAD. When I have booked a cruise online with NCL, they have converted my USD CNs to CAD for the deposit. Maybe a US TA can't do that conversion with FCCs? Maybe NCL would do it if OP booked direct.

NCL will 100% do it if they book direct with them. OPs TA is probably offering extra on board credit with their bookings so they want to book with them instead of NCL.