Cape Liberty - Bayonne

12 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I would never sail on an Oasis class ship because of size and most importantly because of the unappealing itinerary. The biggest concern with any renovation no matter what the line is, They always seem to add more staterooms to load on more passengers.   

I just don’t understand how one can make this judgment without at least trying. Oasis is a big ship but often felt less confining than smaller ships.  So many things to do onboard. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I just don’t understand how one can make this judgment without at least trying. Oasis is a big ship but often felt less confining than smaller ships.  So many things to do onboard. 

Oasis class is good for families and groups. I only go on those with a group. Did Oasis, Allure and Harmony with groups. It is like a mall and you hardly know you are at sea. The food is nothing to write home about. The Windjammer always a crowded madhouse. I was on Allure in January 2020 and what a down Oasis class and Solstice class in December 2019 were after Oceania in August 2019. I was looking at booking Oceania again in 2020, or Viking but Covid happened before I had a chance.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

We were on Oasis in January 2019, noro cruise.   Not my favorite ship.  Took 2 days to find a made to order omelets. Waiting line to get into WJ; they ran out of choices in WJ and took forever for them to replace items.   Not well run.  Not saying we won't sail her or one her sisters but not my first choice.   

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

The Anthem was a little too big for my liking but it had beautiful ocean views even if you were indoors.  It's not about the crowds it's about getting from one end of the ship to the other . We like to feel like we are on a  cruise ship and not at an amusement park or mall.  We sail for itinerary. The ship isn't the destination.  I would pick a 9 day itinerary on an old ship out of Cape Liberty over a 7 day Oasis sailing that calls on Port Canaveral, Nassau and Coco Cay.   Also these large ships bring too many passengers to a those small islands making the port over crowded. One of the reasons we take private excursions is to escape the crowded tourist beaches where the ships take passengers.

15 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

LOL   I couldn't believe how the suite passengers on the Summit have virtually the entire front of the ship to themselves with their "retreat". I totally get offering more to suite guests, but X took what was the only forward-facing deck of the ship that formerly had public access and made it private. 

The Summit was one of my favorite ships. It's too small to close off the entire front of the ship for the retreat.  At least the newer ships are larger and the area was planned.  I hate when they try to update the older ships and squeeze in same amenities of the newer ships.

With NY, NJ, CT and PA only hoping to BEGIN Phase 2 in late spring and summer, the likelihood of Cuomo and Murphy allowing test cruises to begin out of Bayonne is very poor.  Though a phase need not be complete before another is started, there are counties in each of these states that are projected to complete Phase 1 sometime in the Fall. With the lack of test cruises now operating and itineraries restricted to 7nights at  sea until the end of November.  I believe that the earliest we will see the Port Authority open up the three terminals (Bayonne, Brooklyn, and Manhattan) will be in 2022. 

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The Anthem was a little too big for my liking but it had beautiful ocean views even if you were indoors.  It's not about the crowds it's about getting from one end of the ship to the other . We like to feel like we are on a  cruise ship and not at an amusement park or mall.  We sail for itinerary. The ship isn't the destination.  I would pick a 9 day itinerary on an old ship out of Cape Liberty over a 7 day Oasis sailing that calls on Port Canaveral, Nassau and Coco Cay.   Also these large ships bring too many passengers to a those small islands making the port over crowded. One of the reasons we take private excursions is to escape the crowded tourist beaches where the ships take passengers.

I still says it’s hard to bash it if you haven’t at least tried the product.  You might find you enjoy as long as you don’t board with a predetermined negative attitude. 

Views have been awesome outside our balcony. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 2

I sooo want to try Anthem.  We were booked March 2020 with our kids and were super excited and we all know what happened to that sailing.  Then we rebooked Dec 2020 and L&S to Dec 2021.  Thinking this Dec won't happen for us.  The port could be open but as Canadians and one kid under 16, it's doubtful.  We have it booked as a backup another time...but can see us booking Mar 2023.  I'm almost obsessed with trying Anthem.  It seems like it'll have the familiarity and and common stuff of Royal which we love, but also as a very different ship.  Being indoor doesn't bother us.

Hopefully with vaccines working and things getting back to more of a (new) norm, the port will be open by the fall.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

I sooo want to try Anthem.  We were booked March 2020 with our kids and were super excited and we all know what happened to that sailing. 

Seems like so long ago.

I put a hold on a cabin on Anthem for March break 2023 but since it’s just the two of us now I’m pretty sure that we will be cruising out of Florida....  and I have air credits to use.  Really want to do the 8 day Odyssey.

fortunately we will get to experience that class of ship on Ovation summer of 2022 in Alaska.....3rd time rescheduled

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Seems like so long ago.

I put a hold on a cabin on Anthem for March break 2023 but since it’s just the two of us now I’m pretty sure that we will be cruising out of Florida....  and I have air credits to use.  Really want to do the 8 day Odyssey.

fortunately we will get to experience that class of ship on Ovation summer of 2022 in Alaska.....3rd time rescheduled

I know....and it's coming up to a year now.  So sad.

March 2023 will be our last March break with our son.  Was thinking of booking a refundable, but prices are so up so don't even know what room to book.  We currently have 2 rooms booked, but with the prices we'll probably be back to 1 room (and don't think we'd book insides until things are 100% normal).  Would be nice if we were on the same ship again. 🙂

Odyssey 8 night would be amazing, but so will Alaska cruise on Ovation!  Third times the charm. 🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

March 2023 will be our last March break with our son. 

March 2020 was supposed to be our first without our daughter but I had booked 2 cabins just in case by the time it was confirmed that she wouldn’t be joining us it was only an extra $200 to keep the two cabins vs switching to 1 cabin.

2021 we would have had 3 of us in a room on SY.  2022 we are now officially 2 of us at March in a suite on Symphony.  I was also able to get a great deal on Indy in February so I’m taking the kids for their college break. 

It will be different without the kids.  I was even looking at the Celebrity Apex or the Mardi Gras for something different. 

Not sure If you have seen the school year calendars for 2023 and beyond but there could be an opportunity for pre Christmas cruises without kids missing school.

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/general/list/calendar/holidaye.html

21 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I still says it’s hard to bash it if you haven’t at least tried the product.  You might find you enjoy as long as you don’t board with a predetermined negative attitude. 

Views have been awesome outside our balcony. 

M8

Hopefully looking forward to our November cruise on the Anthem.

We also love the smaller ships, BUT have found that aside from a crowd here or there either on the ship or in a small port, there is that small ship experience even on the biggest amusement heavy ships, if you look for it.  Not interested in Bumper cars, thirteen story water slides or wave runners ? Very easy to avoid, but worth a peek if just for curiosity's sake.. LOL

After 27 cruises to the Caribbean there is little that is still on our bucket list and re-visiting people and places almost always has something new for us.

Now getting up there in years the ship is becoming more and more important to us and we enjoy days at sea as much as or even more than checking out the sand or refrigerator magnets on each port of call.  

The Anthem is now becoming like that old pair of shoes for us. We know our way around her, which dining rooms to choose, which bars and lounges to enjoy, what cabins and veranda categories to choose along with what to avoid (actually a simple task). 

Leaving from Bayonne on the Anthem is practically a walk through if you do all the prior check-in stuff on line and an extra 30 minutes or hour spent over a relaxing no rush breakfast makes departing at a port of call another walk off event.

I Love people watching so a comfortable seat and a tall Newcastle at a bar overlooking the crowd (yes crowd added to with by dear wife who is a true shopaholic) at the occasional watch, T-shirt or $10 junk sale. 

Sailing for us on ships like the Zenith, Mercury or other small ships is over aside from the ultra lines. 

We have adjusted over the past decades to enjoy what is now our once or twice a year escape from the freezer to the sunny Caribbean on a ship that is far, far away from our hectic at home responsibilities and sub-freezing Winters.. 

Even with our small ship preference, it IS FUN to hear and see, from a safe distance, some of the goings on at the events that would land either of us in traction.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

March 2020 was supposed to be our first without our daughter but I had booked 2 cabins just in case by the time it was confirmed that she wouldn’t be joining us it was only an extra $200 to keep the two cabins vs switching to 1 cabin.

2021 we would have had 3 of us in a room on SY.  2022 we are now officially 2 of us at March in a suite on Symphony.  I was also able to get a great deal on Indy in February so I’m taking the kids for their college break. 

It will be different without the kids.  I was even looking at the Celebrity Apex or the Mardi Gras for something different. 

Not sure If you have seen the school year calendars for 2023 and beyond but there could be an opportunity for pre Christmas cruises without kids missing school.

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/general/list/calendar/holidaye.html

It's sad when they grow up as it changes the family, but nice to get away just the two of you too.  I can see us trying Celebrity some day too.

Thanks for the link.  Have also eye'd Anthem's Christmas break cruise (although just noticed that New Years one works too).  Wish L&S was still in place if Dec 2021 doesn't work as we have a great deal.  It's interesting as the xmas one is an 8 night (bonus!) and a bit less than the 7 night new years.  TBH...would prefer new years one as we don't celebrate xmas.  Will definitely watch these too.  It all depends on what happens with 2021 and first quarter of 2022.  We will get on Anthem at some point!

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I could make that same exact statement to the many on these boards that have blasted Carnival over the years without ever having cruised on her. 😉

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

It's sad when they grow up as it changes the family, but nice to get away just the two of you too.  I can see us trying Celebrity some day too.

Thanks for the link.  Have also eye'd Anthem's Christmas break cruise (although just noticed that New Years one works too).  Wish L&S was still in place if Dec 2021 doesn't work as we have a great deal.  It's interesting as the xmas one is an 8 night (bonus!) and a bit less than the 7 night new years.  TBH...would prefer new years one as we don't celebrate xmas.  Will definitely watch these too.  It all depends on what happens with 2021 and first quarter of 2022.  We will get on Anthem at some point!

I'm also looking at the Christmas and New years ones.  Christmas is almost $1000 cheaper for the 2 cabins and an extra day.  It will depend on what the Florida pricing looks like

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

It's too small to close off the entire front of the ship

Exactly my point....DW and I almost got trapped up there. It appears as though they possibly open the gate at times so as to perhaps allow others just to see it (great selling point anyway)..or else...it was open for whatever reason. So we poked around in there a bit but then after leaving (I seem to recall a staff member watching us although how do they know without checking if you belong there or not?)...shortly after it was locked. 

• Like 1

I do think they did a beautiful job with the "revolutionization" though. Ship looked great. We were on her for Canada / NE in Oct. '19 - our last cruise before the pandemic. Sometimes feels like that trip was aLOT longer ago than only a year + 4 months. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

19 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Agree!  We love the class oasis ships .  You can do as little or as much as you want. The suites are fabulous as are cabins overlooking Central Park and the boardwalk 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

cabins overlooking Central Park and the boardwalk 

I'm sure you're right...but I would personally have no interest in a room that overlooks a shopping or otherwise busy area of the ship. If I can't have a balcony room overlooking the water...I truly believe I'd rather stay home 😆  That said, I'm intrigued to at least (maybe) try it sometime, but I must admit to really having enjoyed being with only 900 other passengers on a recent cruise. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'm sure you're right...but I would personally have no interest in a room that overlooks a shopping or otherwise busy area of the ship. If I can't have a balcony room overlooking the water...I truly believe I'd rather stay home 😆  That said, I'm intrigued to at least (maybe) try it sometime, but I must admit to really having enjoyed being with only 900 other passengers on a recent cruise. 

I agree with you. We like our privacy sitting on balcony would never book a CP or BW balcony. Would need to keep drapes closed most of time. 

6 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

I agree with you. We like our privacy sitting on balcony would never book a CP or BW balcony. Would need to keep drapes closed most of time. 

I was in a CP balcony and it was useless. You look out at other balconies. Plus no wind so uncomfortable. A boardwalk cabin was okay because you get to people watch but you have to keep your curtains closed most of the time. I learned from that and the other six times on Oasis class I was in outside balconies. Much better. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

but you have to keep your curtains closed most of the time.

LOL...my aunt would say "like living in Hess's window"  (which of course makes no sense to anyone that isn't familar with the famous Hess's department store in Allentown, PA).   My relatives did it...a CP room...and really liked it. If that's the scenery you want during a cruise,  definitely go for it. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

• OnTheJourney
  •  
  • 3,730 posts
  • September 1, 2005
  • PA
1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

but you have to keep your curtains closed most of the time.

LOL...my aunt would say "like living in Hess's window"  (which of course makes no sense to anyone that isn't familar with the famous Hess's department store in Allentown, PA).   My relatives did it...a CP room...and really liked it. If that's the scenery you want during a cruise,  definitely go for it. 

I loved Hess's.  I remember the restaurant, where the models would have a fashion show while you ate and my the kids meals were served in a little toy oven