Rollin', rollin' rollin' on a river, and a highway or two.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We don't stay in the laundrettes to supervise but do ensure we get back there just before the program ends so we can free up the relevant machine immediately it finishes. We've only done one short cruise since we reached Elite but we did get some laundry done on that just because we could. 😊

Like you probably, I would rather spend the laundry money on wine, hence we put the free bag in every 3 or 4 days.

BTW, great work on the on going blog and great pics, even though I am no flower person. Ah McLaren Vale coming up, I can taste the vintages.

Edited by NSWP

13 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Last time we were in Adelaide, we spent a day at McLaren Vale and bought some great wines. Enjoy your time there Julie.

Leigh

We're having to severely restrict how many wineries we visit. 🤣

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sunset on Glenelg Beach.

20210228_194906.thumb.jpg.00f6d16348b0d2aa20749fdbf17d8eea.jpg

That's the first time I've seen a beach sign advising people to watch out for snakes!

20210228_194832.thumb.jpg.f8602e65182696e647bba67ebb9f6a23.jpg

Many, many years ago when I was on a school excursion to a beach south of Adelaide I trod on a brown snake while walking barefoot in the dunes. I don't know who got the bigger fright, me or the snake, as we both shot off in different directions with me screaming!  Luckily I wasn't bitten. Ever since I've always been snake aware when in sand dunes! 

I've enjoyed following your Murray River cruise. Thank you for writing about it. 😊

15 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I very rarely buy wines at the cellar door, I might taste and take notes, then check Dan Murphy prices which are often much lower in price than ye olde cellar door. Yes I know you cannot get all the labels at Dans. But I drink commercial quaffers @ $10 and below.😁

When I was in Griffith, NSW, September, I called in at De Bortoli as I like their vino.  I bought a couple of bottles of their up market tawny port, $20 a bottle, but noticed they had their base Sacred Hill range on @ $7.  Hello, Dans had it on @ $30 for 6 bottles. $5 a pop, good daily quaffer.

Edited by NSWP

We tend to drink a lot of wines made from Italian grape varieties, which do very well in parts of Australia. However Dan's usually doesn't have a big range of those wines so we do get some shipments from our favourite wineries. McLaren Vale is dangerous territory for us, those Italian varieties have really taken off here but, jeez, some of the prices are eye-wateringly high which is a good deterrent.

• Like 1

We have found that the price at the winery is about the same as the liquor store. The BC VQA (Vintner's Quality Alliance) are $11.00 to $18.00 a bottle except for some the "special" ones. There are some Icewines that go for $40.00 for 375ml and there are a couple wineries in the Okanagan that do traditional sparkling wines including hand riddling the bottles. Some of those are over $100.00 per bottle. We haven't been up there in a few years. We were thinking about going in the summer (our nephew lives there) but of course now he is moving to Saskatchewan.

Be strong Julie, we know what happens when you visit wine country. Some of the wineries have beautiful patios and you can buy a bottle of wine and enjoy it with your picnic on the patio.

5 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Many, many years ago when I was on a school excursion to a beach south of Adelaide I trod on a brown snake while walking barefoot in the dunes. I don't know who got the bigger fright, me or the snake, as we both shot off in different directions with me screaming!  Luckily I wasn't bitten. Ever since I've always been snake aware when in sand dunes! 

I've enjoyed following your Murray River cruise. Thank you for writing about it. 😊

Brown snakes aren't good. They are usually very aggressive. You were very lucky. 🙂

11 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Brown snakes aren't good. They are usually very aggressive. You were very lucky. 🙂

The only good snake is a dead snake. Why we have to protect these things capable of killing us and animals is beyond me.  Snake cull required.😬

• Like 1

Just now, NSWP said:

The only good snake is a dead snake. Why we have to protect these things capable of killing us and animals is beyond me.  Snake cull required.😬

I agree with your sentiment, particularly when it comes to brown snakes. We live in a rural area of Brisbane and have seen countless snakes. I don't mind carpet snakes or tree snakes, but generally we let them all go on their way. The only ones I am not happy with are the browns and the red-bellied blacks, although the latter are rather timid even if they are venomous. We don't endeavour to kill these because it is not uncommon for people to be bitten when they are attempting to kill the snake.

14 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree with your sentiment, particularly when it comes to brown snakes. We live in a rural area of Brisbane and have seen countless snakes. I don't mind carpet snakes or tree snakes, but generally we let them all go on their way. The only ones I am not happy with are the browns and the red-bellied blacks, although the latter are rather timid even if they are venomous. We don't endeavour to kill these because it is not uncommon for people to be bitten when they are attempting to kill the snake.

My Veterinarian grandaughter tells me nearly every day a dog is brought into the surgery near Caboolture, Qld with snake bite, black snake, brown snake. Cost for treatment, observation overnight and antidote, antivenom, whatever they call it etc, can be $3000. 😬

Edited by NSWP

Just now, NSWP said:

My Vet grandaughter tells me nearly every day a dog is brought into the surgery near Caboolture, Qld with snake bite, black snake, brown snake. Cost for treatment, observation overnight and antidote, antivenom, whatever they call it etc, can be $3000. 😬

I am glad that none of our children or our animals were ever bitten by a snake here at home. Years ago we had a Siamese cat that used to bring snakes into the house and let them go. I presume he wanted to show us how clever he was to catch something. Luckily they were either green tree snakes or small red-bellied blacks.

28 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am glad that none of our children or our animals were ever bitten by a snake here at home. Years ago we had a Siamese cat that used to bring snakes into the house and let them go. I presume he wanted to show us how clever he was to catch something. Luckily they were either green tree snakes or small red-bellied blacks.

We lived at Engadine for 30 yrs, far southern bushland suburb of Sydney. Saw two red belly black snakes in yard, plus a couple of baby snakes brought in by the cats, but we had dogs, so the snakes did not hang around long. Here in Batehaven, outer bushland suburb of Batemans Bay, in 15 yrs seen two snakes, one red belly black, one brown. Both shot through. Not doubt a few more were lurking. Re cats, no cats here but in Engadine had a couple of outside cats and they brought a couple of baby snakes to door, plus the usual birds, lizards and bush rats, trained  killers those moggies.

Personally I would rather face a man with a gun or an axe or a mad pit bull terrier than any sort of joe blake. But preferably be armed with my Glock 17 automatic pistola, but I had to give it back in 2003.👮‍♂️

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

Tiger snakes are not scarce around our area. Plenty of water about the place. 

Our Council has installed lots of signs like this (took this morning,  Bay in the background). 

7D9738ED-3D14-4084-9B84-34F253E5CD33.thumb.jpeg.4300a9fd8156291a44ceb17c61371cec.jpeg

But our slithery friends do not seem to be able to read and avoid people places. Taken Christmas Eve.

1B3C4E19-FB7E-417D-AAB3-25E2AD3A8A19.thumb.jpeg.ce8fc6b0d1806ff2876d46ac36fd56d6.jpeg

Edited by Docker123

20 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I know the feeling! I usually like the NZ Marlborough wines but a couple of years ago I found a nice Margaret River wine called Story Bay that I liked. Then it won an award and it got sold out for a while! I'm trying to support our wine industry now so I will stick with the Story Bay and the occasional NZ wine!

Thanks again for your advice re the Proud Mary. My son couldn’t get the leave as he is super busy at work but I did manage to book us all on a two day cruise for my birthday next month. I booked my flight down to Adelaide and will stay for a week with my son.  I booked yesterday there were five cabins available and today only one so just as well I booked!  

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

Tiger snakes are not scarce around our area. Plenty of water about the place. 

Our Council has installed lots of signs like this (took this morning,  Bay in the background). 

7D9738ED-3D14-4084-9B84-34F253E5CD33.thumb.jpeg.4300a9fd8156291a44ceb17c61371cec.jpeg

On our area of the bay, there are plenty of snakes too. Wetlands to the south east, a creek, a river and the bay are ideal places for snakes. In the school where I worked for many years and which is next to the wetlands, there were often snakes seen slithering across the oval. Fortunately in my time there, no snake bites thank goodness. I used to be very careful walking to or from work as I had to cross the creek (footbridge) and walk along the creek for a short way.

Leigh

40 minutes ago, queenslander said:

I know the feeling! I usually like the NZ Marlborough wines but a couple of years ago I found a nice Margaret River wine called Story Bay that I liked. Then it won an award and it got sold out for a while! I'm trying to support our wine industry now so I will stick with the Story Bay and the occasional NZ wine!

Thanks again for your advice re the Proud Mary. My son couldn’t get the leave as he is super busy at work but I did manage to book us all on a two day cruise for my birthday next month. I booked my flight down to Adelaide and will stay for a week with my son.  I booked yesterday there were five cabins available and today only one so just as well I booked!  

Hope you have a very happy birthday with your son on Proud Mary next month, as well as your visit to Adelaide.  

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, queenslander said:

Above all, enjoy and come back new. Sorry wrong line.😀th.jpg.3ff307dc1f623e5d5dfbed3504733bd4.jpg

Edited by NSWP

Sounds like you are enjoying a wonderful road holiday following the cruise, Julie.  You had my mouth watering reading about the food in Adelaide.  That is my favourite memory of Adelaide.  Love King Geoge Whiting.  Enjoy the wineries and Kangaroo Island.  Lucky you were able to get a booking.  Hoping the weather is kind to you.  There is a winery with views if you turn left off the ferry and head towards the nearest lighthouse.  The tourist office close to the ferry has a good selection of local products if you can't get to all the places as KI is a big island.  

Leigh, unless there is a sudden outbreak in Melbourne, we'll be there from Wednesday afternoon through to Sunday. Would love to catch up with you for coffee or something if it suits you.

We're on Kangaroo Island at the moment, heading back to the mainland at some ungodly hour tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Leigh, unless there is a sudden outbreak in Melbourne, we'll be there from Wednesday afternoon through to Sunday. Would love to catch up with you for coffee or something if it suits you.

We're on Kangaroo Island at the moment, heading back to the mainland at some ungodly hour tomorrow morning.

Thanks Julie, that sounds good. I am free Friday if that suits you. Where are you staying?

Leigh

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Thanks Julie, that sounds good. I am free Friday if that suits you. Where are you staying?

Leigh

We're staying at the Oaks on Lonsdale. Were having a very early dinner with family Friday night but are free the rest of the time. Late morning for coffee would be best for us. Let us know the cafe and Mr Google will no doubt lead us there. 

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

Good to see you getting together on land, enjoy the camaraderie.

• Like 1