Rollin', rollin' rollin' on a river, and a highway or two.

23 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We rarely travelled in my working life, one wage most of the time! Paying mortgages, paying school and uni fees for my two kids. l was fortunate to retire @55 and have since done a lot of travel world wide and in Australia, like 22 cruises and plenty of land travel. Yes as you say anyone who has retired in the past year or two or who was putting off travel is stymied for some time yet.

My nine older neighbours used to say we were smart to travel whilst young, as none of them travelled in retirement for one reason or other.  My children went to state schools, so low fees.  We lived on one wage, which allowed us to travel.  

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

My nine older neighbours used to say we were smart to travel whilst young, as none of them travelled in retirement for one reason or other.  My children went to state schools, so low fees.  We lived on one wage, which allowed us to travel.  

My parents really pushed me to travel young. They were hoping to in retirement but unfortunately health issues have got in the way. Looking back on the travels I have done I'm glad I didn't wait. Some of the activities I have participated in I wonder if I would be able to do them when I am my parents age. My uncle who is in his 80s just before COVID climbed Kilimanjaro😱. I would like to think I would be like him at his age but to be honest he is the exception in the family so all the more reason not to put all my travel eggs into the retirement basket😄.

My parents did some travelling in there working years, I think they did 2 trips to Hawaii and went to Fiji once. They used to go back to their little home town area on the prairies for the summer. They always wanted to go to Nashville because they were big country music fans, that never happened even though they had the time and money. The other big dream was a cross country drive, Mom wanted to see Niagara falls and it was always we'll do that next year; it was finally going to be "next year" and Dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer and he was gone 28 days later. Lynn's parents always wanted to do a cross Canada train trip but weren't sure how to make it so, none of their kids would help organize it so Lynn asked me and I made all the reservations for them and they went back east to visit their eldest son who had moved to Cape Breton several years before.

With these lessons learned we decided to travel more, but still we have to plan around work and our budget.

If you can afford it and are well enough to do it, do it !

I know so many older people around here who were reluctant to spend some of their retirement money on travel. Now many of them regret it, health issues and travel insurance issues stop them now.

Some want to  preserve their money for their kids.👎

SKI !

In my working days my family always had a couple of weeks in an onsite caravan at Nelson Bay, Forster or Port Macquarie. I made sure of that, my annual leave loading, remember that? Paid the rent.

Edited by NSWP

Talking about rollin on the river. Penrith, NSW, west of Sydney is copping it bad re the floods. How is Neil, Mr Walker, going? He lives in Penrith.

Still chucking it down here. My daughter is at Moruya near the river, could well have to evacuate.

This current situation is a once in a hundred year event.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

If you can afford it and are well enough to do it, do it !

I know so many older people around here who were reluctant to spend some of their retirement money on travel. Now many of them regret it, health issues and travel insurance issues stop them now.

Some want to  preserve their money for their kids.👎

SKI !

In my working days my family always had a couple of weeks in an onsite caravan at Nelson Bay, Forster or Port Macquarie. I made sure of that, my annual leave loading, remember that? Paid the rent.

Many Qld families used to set up camp in camping grounds on the Gold Coast for the summer school holidays.  The father would return to work, after a fortnight's leave, then commute to GC from Bne. for rest of the school holidays.  Working class People had a great lifestyle despite low wages.  

Do people still get annual leave loading?  My American friends thought that was even more unbelievable than four weeks leave,, plus LSL.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Do people still get annual leave loading?  My American friends thought that was even more unbelievable than four weeks leave,, plus LSL.

Yes it is still paid to full and part time employees. I used mine to pay for Christmas expences because Victorian Education Department  non teaching staff employees were paid our annual leave loading in December. Teaching staff were paid mid year.

Leigh

We're very glad we took the opportunities to travel when we could. Sometimes we were able to tack holidays onto one of Rolf's business trips even if it was just a few days extra. Having his airfare paid by work, and using frequent flyer points for my airfare, made it much more affordable to travel. 

One thing we both noticed on this recent trip is that we don't have the stamina we had ten or twenty years ago, so taking those earlier opportunities was definitely worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Talking about rollin on the river. Penrith, NSW, west of Sydney is copping it bad re the floods. How is Neil, Mr Walker, going? He lives in Penrith.

I hope they got home safely. It was bad enough on Thursday when we travelled home but I think the weather was as bad on Friday and even worse on Saturday. I can't remember what day they were travelling.

26 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're very glad we took the opportunities to travel when we could. Sometimes we were able to tack holidays onto one of Rolf's business trips even if it was just a few days extra. Having his airfare paid by work, and using frequent flyer points for my airfare, made it much more affordable to travel. 

One thing we both noticed on this recent trip is that we don't have the stamina we had ten or twenty years ago, so taking those earlier opportunities was definitely worth it.

Yes I remember saying, as we trudged up a hill to yet another Bavarian castle, lucky we are doing this now when we are young, as we couldn't do it if we were older.  

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Still chucking it down here. My daughter is at Moruya near the river, could well have to evacuate.

This current situation is a once in a hundred year event.

We're fine here Les thanks. We are near the Nepean, but not in any danger. My Mum lives in a retirement village a lot closer to the river ( close to the Panthers Leagues Club) & some in the nearby area  there were evacuating yesterday. We are keeping an eye on it & will bring her here if needed. 

Hope all works out for your daughter.

Stay safe all!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I hope they got home safely. It was bad enough on Thursday when we travelled home but I think the weather was as bad on Friday and even worse on Saturday. I can't remember what day they were travelling.

We were coming home on Fri & when the weather turned bad we left early Friday & took the Kings Hwy route & didn't have any problems, just some heavy showers. We arrived home just after lunchtime. All good thanks.

• Like 1

It is amazing just how widespread this torrential rain is and how fast the flooding waters are flowing.  

In Qld. we are more used to flooding waters taking days to arrive.

I feel for all the people being evacuated along the East Coast. Just heard on the news that there is going to be a Low off Batesman Bay.  

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

It is amazing just how widespread this torrential rain is and how fast the flooding waters are flowing.  

In Qld. we are more used to flooding waters taking days to arrive.

I feel for all the people being evacuated along the East Coast. Just heard on the news that there is going to be a Low off Batesman Bay.  

We often get east coast lows form off here, my back door. They hang around and drop a lot of rain.  Heavy rain today and forecast until Wednesday night, 100mm forecast overnight and tomorrow, there goes the golf, again.

Edited by NSWP

55 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Les you do realize that golf is just flog spelt backwards.😁

Some say golf spoils a good walk. 🤣 It took a while for my dear wife to find out what the 19th hole was. You see my club..Club Catalina is a 27 hole course.

I think I spend too much time at the 19th hole.🍷🥃🍽️

Today would be appropriate to do a course inspection re flooding and have a 🍽️🍷

Edited by NSWP

54 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Some say golf spoils a good walk. 🤣 It took a while for my dear wife to find out what the 19th hole was. You see my club..Club Catalina is a 27 hole course.

I think I spend too much time at the 19th hole.🍷🥃🍽️

Today would be appropriate to do a course inspection re flooding and have a 🍽️🍷

By the sounds of things Les today would be a good day to pull on the Drizabone and take the binoculars out to the observation deck, the inspection should take about 10 seconds. then you will have to hang around long enough to warm up and the coat to dry. Have a nice cafe royale 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Yep, we employ people in our business and we pay leave loading.

LSL is managed by industry boards - in our industry anyway but nowadays very few make it to the first LSL leave dates which is 8 years from your start date, when you can take 12 paid weeks leave or keep adding a week every 3 years thereafter. (Not totally sure about the accrual?? Could accrue faster 🙄)

Can you guess the industry?

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

We didn’t travel much when we were younger, marriage, kids, mortgage, study, in fact went 1* years with nothing longer than a 3 day weekend.

Made up for it in the last 10 years or so, I think it is 20 cruises (longest was 5 weeks) and a few weeks on Norfolk, together with numerous road trips and trips to Adelaide and Tassie.

Unfortunately now flying is out and the last few cruises weren’t good for my back, so there may not be m/any more.

Mrs G keeps getting hassled to take LSL, currently accruing at @ 2weeks a year. Being self employed I get none of that in fact I now advise younger blokes to pop one week income a year into a seperate account so they can take some LSL down the track.

Some Americans get good holidays, I have a mate who gets 7 weeks a year, started at 2 weeks a year, but after every year or two it goes up.

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

LSL is managed by industry boards - in our industry anyway but nowadays very few make it to the first LSL leave dates which is 8 years from your start date, when you can take 12 paid weeks leave or keep adding a week every 3 years thereafter. (Not totally sure about the accrual?? Could accrue faster 🙄)

The Pork Industry, like pork chops? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

By the sounds of things Les today would be a good day to pull on the Drizabone and take the binoculars out to the observation deck, the inspection should take about 10 seconds. then you will have to hang around long enough to warm up and the coat to dry. Have a nice cafe royale 

At the Golfie..I just had a chicken curry and rice with a glass of lemonade. True, I don't drink during the day, not even on the ships, self imposed rule, which makes me only a semi alcoholic.  But only 1 hr to go to 5pm, wine o'clock.🍷

The golf course is quite flooded, but being on a sand belt, only about 500 metres from the sea as the crow flies, it will soon drain.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 3:01 PM, NSWP said:

The Pork Industry, like pork chops? 

On 3/22/2021 at 12:30 PM, Porky55 said:

NLSL is managed by industry boards - in our industry anyway but nowadays very few make it to the first LSL leave dates which is 8 years from your start date, when you can take 12 paid weeks leave or keep adding a week every 3 years thereafter. (Not totally sure about the accrual?? Could accrue faster 🙄)

No.  Meat?.  8 years is generous for LSL eligibility.  Mine was after 10 years pro rata, 15 years for full entitlement.  As you say very few newer recruits make it to be eligible for LSL.  Because people move around so much now, LSL is not even a dream for most.  However, most get paid much more as they move for promotions.  

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

No.  Meat?.  8 years is generous for LSL eligibility.  Mine was after 10 years pro rata, 15 years for full entitlement.  As you say very few newer recruits make it to be eligible for LSL.  Because people move around so much now, LSL is not even a dream for most.  However, most get paid much more as they move for promotions.  

Close - underground coal mining - oops sorry about that swear word 🙄😉