The Daily for Thursday Feb 25, 2021

richwmn

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂

An interesting collection of days.  There’s one pile of patents out there.  I wonder why the pistol’s gets a special day?

The meal suggestion sounds interesting.  Liked @dfishI don’t have a pressure cooker either but may try it in the slow cooker if the chicken I took out of the freezer last night is thawed.

That drink sounds good @summer slope thanks as always for the description.  The wine sounds hopeful too - looking forward to @cat shepard’s analysis.

Well the weatherman was wrong again.  Last time we were supposed to have a few flurries and then rain and we got a serious snow dump.  Last night we were supposed to have a major snow storm and it ended up being all rain.  Hoping it doesn’t freeze too soon - it will be deadly out there. 😞 

The interesting chatter about drinking/not drinking pre and post vaccine yesterday reminded me that for those that want to abstain for a few days, I have the perfect suggestion:

E0C769BD-73CC-477F-86C0-B62C70FFB944.thumb.jpeg.f89cccee138b76f5ab74e35a84ef65e3.jpeg

I thought this was pretty true when I saw it the other day:

5E553E28-4B77-42CD-B069-DD45E2E78907.jpeg.db38a2fdddce71074717dfc5632685e0.jpeg

News of the cruise cancellations to Canada was not unexpected but still sad.  Let’s hope we can turn the corner soon and enjoy our travels again soon.🤞 

67E2FD69-9E53-4E23-B1AC-CF0932E07C0F.jpeg.25ec6051450e72379700065b930485df.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a toast to those on the on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

I think weathermen are the only profession where you can be wrong 75% of the time and not lose your job 🤪. After five days we finally got the squirrel out of our house. It was trapped in ceiling of our main floor, not the attic, and they finally moved the dishwasher out and after an hour it went out the open back door and slowly ran up the alley. So thankful. Today the contractor is closing up every hole they can find in the kitchen. First time we ever had this happen in 40 years in the house. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Do my peanut M&M's count? We do need more girls in engineering.

It's sunny but about 20° colder (we got up to 60° yesterday); but it is February after all.

The recipe sounds interesting; I have a pressure cooker and slow cooker, but no artichokes.

@Divi Welcome to the Daily.

@rafinmd Glad that you got your appointment for the visit and CT. Same date as my shot #2 (hopefully!)

@Suslor Wow, what a pain. I had them in my first house in the attic; they chewed through the fascia. This house I had a bat and had to get any holes closed up (it got in around where cable access had been drilled for).

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your masks.

• Like 16

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

How about this -

The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

I changed the procedure I use for generating the report, and forgot to add the quote. I'll fix it for tomorrow.

That has to one of my favourite quotes ever. It was worth the wait.

Thank you!

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 13

Good morning, all! Interesting collection of days, and the quote was more than worth waiting for! I made a chicken in the pressure cooker a few days ago, so tonight will be something else. I never used a pressure cooker until about a year before I retired. The stovetop ones of my childhood terrified me, so they were firmly avoided. With the current ones that have temperature and pressure automatically controlled, and so many preprogrammed settings. It’s a whole new world. Mine rarely gets to rest in the cupboard for more than a few days.

@summer slopethat drink sounds interesting, but you’d need to try it in the same building you’re planning to spend the night, I suspect. That makes it perfect for drinking on a ship!

Our west coast rain turned to snow during the night, then back to rain before dawn. We now have the pleasure of a world of slush and rain. It’s what I remember as Easter in Ontario weather when I was growing up.

But spring is coming, and the vaccine is coming, and eventually cruising will return, so all will be well that ends well. In the meantime, Happy Thursday our beloved Amsterdam elevator mats, where ever you may be!

5EE71DDE-9544-4B99-90E6-873307CB5C2A.thumb.jpeg.a4fb625afd194af010bd1f26e613f47f.jpeg

• Like 21

Still morning here, but just barely. I left early to get my 2nd Covid jab...... yes!!!!! Feel much relieved and am now going to schedule my long overdue haircut and pedicure!!! Will be nice to feel human again. As someone at my appointment commented.... we still can't do a lot of the things we did but it is a real psychological boost. You feel like good times are coming.

Will drag a couple of boxes of stuff out to our thrift store and I found a couple items I may put on ebay. Have been avoiding the post office but now .........

Susan

• Like 18

6 hours ago, Himself said:

Is Mrs. VMax finished with Chemo?

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I believe so, Father.

Roy

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

The all clear came on February 12.

Roy

Yes she is!  Also finished her Radiotherapy.  Now only a daily hormone tablet and a three weekly injection.  She is clear of cancer and the treatments are 'just in case, just in case' as she is a 'female receptor positive'.  She was told she would have to take the hormone for 10 years!  She asked was that a guarantee. 😉

Thank you for asking Father and thank you for replying Roy.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

I am another one who will try the saucy Italian Chicken using my crock pot. This recipe looks simple enough for a non-cook like me to use and enjoy.

The last time I used a pressure cooker was in the late 1960's. The plug blew out leaving a hole in the ceiling and the beans came boiling out splashing me all over the abdomen and hip area. I want into shock but fortunately my then 8 year old son came running to me yelling Mom get you jeans off now!. He help me get the jeans off, brought a pan off cool water and helped me clean myself off. I expect his quick response saved me from being severely burned. Thank God for his Cub Scout/Boy Scout training.

Got my 2nd jab yesterday and like the 1st on my are is very sore. I'll take the sore arm gladly.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Still morning here, but just barely. I left early to get my 2nd Covid jab...... yes!!!!! Feel much relieved and am now going to schedule my long overdue haircut and pedicure!!! Will be nice to feel human again. As someone at my appointment commented.... we still can't do a lot of the things we did but it is a real psychological boost. You feel like good times are coming.

Will drag a couple of boxes of stuff out to our thrift store and I found a couple items I may put on ebay. Have been avoiding the post office but now .........

Susan

Congrats on the 2nd shot!

I have the same plans once I get mine. Haircut first. Also I was a big ebay person for the stuff I'm getting rid of but not donating; I didn't want to go to the post office either, so it's all sitting down in my basement.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I chose French Toast with lots of breakfast for my brunch:

brunch1.JPG.34905af4402cd2809ac0366f803ede81.JPG

Roy, that French Toast is huge with lots of extras.  Just take the bananas off please.  Do I see bacon?  And is that butter or cheese?  Oh my, yummy.  Last night I was in the mood for French Toast so made my adult version topped with strawberries macerated with sugar and Grand Mariner.

And, BTW, your meal suggestion of veal today looked wonderful.

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 13

Thank you for the Daily Rich.  Thank you for your Care and Celebration lists Roy.  I'm not celebrating any of the days but will support anyone who does.  I like peanut butter but not peanuts, guess I'm weird.  The meal suggestion sounds good but Roy's sounds better, however tonight won't be either.  It's either leftovers or something light.  My dear Mother splurged yesterday at Red Lobster and ordered way too much and I'm still full!  Bacon wrapped scallops, Ceasar salad, lobster, steak, cole slaw, baked potato with the works, those incredible biscuits.  I think the hospital food finally caught up with her and she needed a much needed indulgence.  I still have leftovers in my fridge.  She never takes them, she always gives them to me.

So jealous of the Nieuw Statendam at Half Moon Cay two days in a row!

DH went to Costco this morning and they had-- masks YAY!  and gloves YAY! and disinfecting wipes YAY!  No lamb chops though so that's a bummer.  I'll have to check Trader Joe's.

Happy Birthday George Harrison, gone too soon. 

Hoping for an early spring for all those in snow country.

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 15

41 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Roy, that French Toast is huge with lots of extras.  Just take the bananas off please.  Do I see bacon?  And is that butter or cheese?  Oh my, yummy.  Last night I was in the mood for French Toast so made my adult version topped with strawberries macerated with sugar and Grand Mariner.

And, BTW, your meal suggestion of veal today looked wonderful.

I think the bananas were grilled as well.  I'm not sure but I think it was butter.  I checked my meal plan for the day and it didn't include cheese so if it was cheese I left it on the plate.  My meal plan included 7 slices of bacon, a real splurge. 

Dinner that night was at the Brazilian Steak House which would normally have been another splurge.  In this case it was only a salad, single helpings of 2 of the 8 or so meats, and my favorite, the cinnamon spiced pineapple:

dishes26.jpg

Roy

• Like 19

Concerning pressure cookers.  In the cold weather I like to make split pea soup with smoked ham hocks, spices and onions.  For years I have used a slow cooker, starting in the afternoon, cooking all night, and ready the next day.  This week I tried it using our new InstantPot as a pressure cooker.  It was done in 20 minutes!.  Here is what it looks like:  P1010261.thumb.JPG.de02314bd46cc6472cc87685ef6c2239.JPG

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

@Sharon in AZ Not weird. I love peanut butter, but don't like to eat peanuts (except in M&Ms). Not even regular chocolate covered peanuts.

@USN59-79 I have an Instant Pot and like it a lot. I use it for pressure cooking, slow cooking and making yogurt. These electric ones are very safe. I remember growing up when my mother made me leave the kitchen when she was using the old jiggle top kind.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Concerning pressure cookers.  In the cold weather I like to make split pea soup with smoked ham hocks, spices and onions.  For years I have used a slow cooker, starting in the afternoon, cooking all night, and ready the next day.  This week I tried it using our new InstantPot as a pressure cooker.  It was done in 20 minutes!.  Here is what it looks like:  P1010261.thumb.JPG.de02314bd46cc6472cc87685ef6c2239.JPG

I love my instant pot as much as my slow cooker. My jiggle top pressure cooker went in the garbage years ago

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Beautiful morning here in Georgetown. It should be in the high 50s today. The weather shows the next five out of six days will have rain but that is okay because the lowest will only be in the 40s so should not have any freezing rain, thank goodness.

Rich thank you for adding the quote of the day and for making our Daily complete. Thank you for watching over us and letting us know where our dam ships are. Roy you are in my prayers. I have a feeling everything will work out fine and you'll be able to play the piano again (if you have played a piano, LOL)

Summer that cocktail picture looks like someone has already imbibed!

My sisters: I am fine from my 2nd shot. A tiny bit tender this morning but all is good. There was no wait in the Ballroom.  I walked in, showed my golden ticket was directed down a rope line and all 4 nurses were waiting and waving. So thankful. I was able to get home in plenty of time to join in our street happy hour.

Blessings, Prayers, and Cheers!

Joy

🌺

image.thumb.jpeg.c4886df71257bbdfbed50d93399d8680.jpeg
🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Dear Joy!!

I just came home finally did my last round of vaccines!!! Pulled up to garage 

and I have palm trees on both sides!

David told me to look up and we have a mama hummingbird that has made a home in our tree!! Took a quick pic because I thought of you with your little ones. So happy the Moderna did not cause you any more than soreness with your arm. Love to both you and Allen!

I will come back to CC later I took another picture that I want to share.

🌴🌴🌴

Denise😊

• Like 15

@Sharon in AZ  I guess I’m weird the other way.  I have never liked peanut butter in any form, but I like peanuts, peanut M&Ms, and chocolate covered peanuts.

I would not have a pressure cooker for years after hearing the horror stories my mother told about the ones that exploded.  Finally, DH talked me into getting one which I still have in Texas along with a slow cooker.  The problem with the stove top pressure cookers is keeping the pressure regulated.

Several years ago, he bought me one of the first generation Instant Pots, and it worked okay as a slow cooker and  a pressure cooker, but the instruction manual was horrible and not very helpful.  Last fall, I bought a newer version that is almost intuitive and it is so much easier to use.  I still don’t use all the features, but as a slow cooker and pressure cooker it is great.  I really like that you can control the temperature in both functions and the pressure too.  Sometimes, improvements really are improvements. 😀

Lenda

• Like 15

Good afternoon. Thank you for the Daily, Rich, and for the detailed maps.

Welcome to the Daily, Divi.

9 hours ago, richwmn said:

Birthdays today -

• 1943 George Harrison

Also, my Mother. She would have been 102 today.

We can happily report that Lori had her first jab of Pfizer today. So, in 3 weeks we get the pleasure of wading back into the appointment pandemonium again. It's worth it. We're still hoping to get the shots in time to go on a road trip in June.

Stay safe and healthy, wear a mask and avoid those who won't.

Have a great evening!

George

• Like 15

Hi, I'm very late today because we drove to Florida!  The weather is sunny and was quite warm (80 F) when we arrived 3 or so hours ago.  I'm sorry for those who still have snow though, really I am!😇

Since it's been weeks since we had our 2nd jab I was able to hug my two grandsons.  It feels amazing!  I wish DS was here to hug, he's still in Waco testifying at the trial he's been working on.  He's an electrical engineer (DH is  a mechanical engineer - so many engineers on here!).  He's flying to Indianapolis hopefully tomorrow and so will DDIL and DGS's for a weekend soccer meet the 14 year old is playing in.  Then they all drive home to Michigan Sunday in a rental car together.  We will drive DS's car to Georgia loaded with their bulky belongings from their 3 month vacay down here.  He will fly down to Atlanta to pick up his car as soon as he gets a minute to spare.  It depends on how the trial goes if he's needed in Texas to testify again.  It's very complicated but this seemed like the best way to get it all done, and DH and I get some time here at the condo in Clearwater Beach as a bonus during the last few days of their rental.  

Dinner tonight is pizza from the best pizza restaurant in Clearwater Beach, we hear.  And wine!

• Like 19

🌺🌺🌺🌺

image.thumb.jpeg.2bb2b97eba5891f17c2d83e8d8087d0f.jpeg

Just wanted to share a pic we took yesterday around 4 on our short walk. Where I live we can walk down our street to  what is called Grandview at the end of our one way street! Surfers love walking down here to catch waves.The tide was high so surfers were out earlier. If we walk the opposite way is StoneSteps where I showed you a picture I painted.

🌺🌺Bless all of you and take care of each other!! Wear the masks and stay safe!

🌺Roy prayers and am happy you are set 

on the CT scan on 3/9👍
🌺My dear Ann!! Hope you are doing well. Give a hug to Bindi and that champagne I really enjoy and the last one I purchased I got for 49.00!

🌺Summer! Diamonds ARE FOREVER 

I love and enjoy!! Yum

🌺Jacqui, I LOL with the picture of the fat cat!! I feel like that at times! Thanks for your cartoons.

🌺Deb, I like this recipe and the photo.

Read how your back into your water exercise! Good for you!

🌴🌴Rich! HAPPY FOR YOUR GWC 2023!! I will enjoy Scrapnna’s writings and hope to hear from you!

Denise😊

• Like 19