Payment 150 days in advance?

LinnieRed

I just learned that Oceania requires full payment 150 days in advance for any cruise longer than 15 days. This does not seem like a good financial decision for us in this current climate. Credit card insurance does not cover operator default and the cruise that I want to take  is very expensive! Does anyone have a workaround that I don’t know about?

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I personally can't imagine taking a cruise longer than 15 days without travel insurance, and the policy my TA sells includes operator default.

We travel a whole lot and have always relied on the travel insurance thru Chase Sapphire Visa.  Back in February 2020 we flew back from Asia and two weeks later my husband was in the hospital with multiple pulmonary embolism’s caused by DVT. He is fine but we had a whole bunch of travel scheduled for last year that we had to cancel because couldn’t fly due to the PE’s. Chase ended up refunding us around $20,000.

We would not have been able to travel anyways due to Covid, and Chase  would not have covered any Covid related cancellations, but because it was medical they did. We’ve been very happy with them,  and they cover pretty much everything except operated default. I looked at trip insurance for just this issue but on a cruise that is costly the trip insurance gives us a whole bunch of stuff we don’t need and is super expensive. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, LinnieRed said:

I just learned that Oceania requires full payment 150 days in advance for any cruise longer than 15 days. This does not seem like a good financial decision for us in this current climate. Credit card insurance does not cover operator default and the cruise that I want to take  is very expensive! Does anyone have a workaround that I don’t know about?

call your TA or Oceania  & ask for the final payment date to be extended 

Lately the shorter cruises  FP is 60 days out  & I think 90 days out  for the 15+  cruises

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

call your TA or Oceania  & ask for the final payment date to be extended 

Lately the shorter cruises  FP is 60 days out  & I think 90 days out  for the 15+  cruises

NO WAY would we pay 5 months in advance.  Not when we have no clue if they will even sail. 

• Like 1

The OP gave a perfect example of purposely not providing enough information so to receive adequate advice.  

Yes, Oceania normally requires 150 day final payment dates on longer cruises. Policy , move on. If that is what you’re complaining about, you’ve booked the wrong cruise line.

How about just a wee bit of information? First, When is your cruise??? Oceania has reduced final payment for all cruises 5/1- 10/31 to 60 days prior. 

Chances are, if they aren’t sailing by June ( doubt they will be) that 10/31 date will get extended.

However, if your highly classified secret sailing date is late next summer, and Oceania has been sailing for several months, if you want to go, you’ll pay 5 months out.

If Oceania isn’t sailing ( unimaginable) by 2/22, get your deposit back as quickly as possible. Don’t worry about final payment dates at that point.

Let me add as an additional point. Having ran several international group tours, I understand the airline guidelines for booking group fares. Since Oceania offers Air as part of their package, they must meet different payments ( actually commitment ) dates from tours that don’t. If you opt out of O Air, your TA may find more flexibility in delaying final payment. If not, pay up or cancel.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

The OP gave a perfect example of purposely not providing enough information so to receive adequate advice.  

Yes, Oceania normally requires 150 day final payment dates on longer cruises. Policy , move on. If that is what you’re complaining about, you’ve booked the wrong cruise line.

How about just a wee bit of information? First, When is your cruise??? Oceania has reduced final payment for all cruises 5/1- 10/31 to 60 days prior. 

Chances are, if they aren’t sailing by June ( doubt they will be) that 10/31 date will get extended.

However, if your highly classified secret sailing date is late next summer, and Oceania has been sailing for several months, if you want to go, you’ll pay 5 months out.

If Oceania isn’t sailing ( unimaginable) by 2/22, get your deposit back as quickly as possible. Don’t worry about final payment dates at that point.

Let me add as an additional point. Having ran several international group tours, I understand the airline guidelines for booking group fares. Since Oceania offers Air as part of their package, they must meet different payments ( actually commitment ) dates from tours that don’t. If you opt out of O Air, your TA may find more flexibility in delaying final payment. If not, pay up or cancel.

You’re a very hostile person. Snark is never asked for or deserved when someone is seeking information. 
seek help. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LinnieRed said:

You’re a very hostile person. Snark is never asked for or deserved when someone is seeking information. 
seek help. 

I’m not a hostile person. If one wants information they should provide enough details so that the information can be given. Just saying. Details matter.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LinnieRed said:

seek help. 

Pinotlover was just telling you the truth in a straightforward manner. That’s far better than misinformation in the way you want to hear requested commentary. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Sounded pretty "hostile" to me.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Please provide more details about your booked cruise (departure date, itinerary) or otherwise it is not easy for others to give you advice. 

Really, I just want to know if the policy is still 150 days in advance for a 15+ day cruise. I’m looking at a 40+ day cruise in early 2023 in a penthouse, so they’d have a whole bunch of my money way in advance. 
Under  “normal” times I wouldn’t worry about it, but with the current cruise climate, that’s a risk I’d not care to take. 90 days would be fine, but not 150. Too much exposure IMO. 

Edited by LinnieRed

Listen everyone has there own opinions.

Bottom line over 15+ days Oceania asks for payment 150 days! I know because After 4 cruises canceled and being on 2 cruises during pandemic last year In March when we rescheduled we were told our 2/19/22 Riviera cruise of 18+days payment would be in September. It is what it is. It is the policy of Oceania now it you can get your payment 60 days in advance great! When was your cruise? Again “DON’T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF BECAUSE IT IS SMALL STUFF”. Who knows possibly they will change their payments. Good that you asked the question a lot of times you get great info. Hope things work out in your favor. Smooth Sailings.

Denise😊

Edited by DeeniEncinitas
Sorry just realized the OP’S cruise date
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Linnie Red,  welcome to the Oceania boards , with the most opinionated, hostile, political, and snarkiest posters on cruisecritic. We have fun here and we are oftened censored. 

Good to know. I’ll keep that in mind if I think about asking anything in the future 😂😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Listen everyone has there own opinions.

Bottom line over 15+ days Oceania asks for payment 150 days! I know because After 4 cruises canceled and being on 2 cruises during pandemic last year In March when we rescheduled we were told our 2/19/22 Riviera cruise of 18+days payment would be in September. It is what it is. It is the policy of Oceania now it you can get your payment 60 days in advance great! When was your cruise? Again “DON’T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF BECAUSE IT IS SMALL STUFF”. Who knows possibly they will change their payments. Good that you asked the question a lot of times you get great info. Hope things work out in your favor. Smooth Sailings.

Denise😊

Hey, girlfriend. Long time. I have to say that were we to want a cruise of that length then I wouldn't book with O. That far out? Nope.

On 2/28/2021 at 6:56 PM, LinnieRed said:

seek help. 

there is a reason I don't visit this board very often.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Acrusa said:

It is now 180 days for full payment 2023 cruises.

Details please!

Is it 180 days on all cruises?

is it 180 days on cruises over a certain length ?

Details Matter. At least to some of us. 🍷

• Like 1

I just booked a 20 day cruise for January 18, 2023.  Final Payment is August 21st. 5 months.
 I have the same 20 day cruise booked for January 8th, 2022.  (Booked over a year ago)  Final Payment is August 11.  Same 5 months.

Edited by KS&JW