Not a Vaccine but a Treatment

sparks1093

11 minutes ago, clo said:

And a cure?

I guess that depends on how you define "cure". I would say that a treatment that ameliorates symptoms and reduces the course of the illness to a few days could be called a cure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

I guess that depends on how you define "cure". I would say that a treatment that ameliorates symptoms and reduces the course of the illness to a few days could be called a cure. 

Any (safe) treatment that lessens the severity of an illness is a good thing. But that is not the same thing as a cure. This drug apparently works in a similar fashion to Tamilfu, which is also not a cure ( for flu). Insulin is a treatment, but does not cure diabetes. Morphine is a treatment for pain, but does not cure the cause of the pain. See the difference? 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mom says said:

Any (safe) treatment that lessens the severity of an illness is a good thing. But that is not the same thing as a cure. This drug apparently works in a similar fashion to Tamilfu, which is also not a cure ( for flu). Insulin is a treatment, but does not cure diabetes. Morphine is a treatment for pain, but does not cure the cause of the pain. See the difference? 

Yes, I understand the difference but since we are dealing with a virus a treatment is all we can hope for. You take it and it goes away. That's close enough to a cure in my eyes.

2 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes, I understand the difference but since we are dealing with a virus a treatment is all we can hope for. You take it and it goes away. That's close enough to a cure in my eyes.

Works for me, also. If what we want instead to restart life is perfection, I am afraid we will never get there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Did she offer any to you to cure your various maladies?

Sort of by suggesting that since I was going to be in Aruba that I look for it. This is a very intelligent woman.She honestly believes that if I was to try it I could be cured.

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Sort of by suggesting that since I was going to be in Aruba that I look for it. This is a very intelligent woman.She honestly believes that if I was to try it I could be cured.

And if you also believe, maybe the placebo effect will kick in and you will be cured.

Or maybe not.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And if you also believe, maybe the placebo effect will kick in and you will be cured.

Or maybe not.

A friend of mine was diagnosed with Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer in Sept.2006.He heard of herbal medications and tried every one.He was not cured but lived to January 2009.Another friend was diagnosed with the same illness in Dec.2015 .He tried conventional treatments and died in Aug.2017.

29 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

A friend of mine was diagnosed with Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer in Sept.2006.He heard of herbal medications and tried every one.He was not cured but lived to January 2009.Another friend was diagnosed with the same illness in Dec.2015 .He tried conventional treatments and died in Aug.2017.

Anecdotal, proves nothing.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Nothing proves anything.We do not know what happens after we leave the planet.

We have had astronauts who have left the planet and returned. For instance if you were John Glenn, you would become a Senator.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

We have had astronauts who have left the planet and returned. For instance if you were John Glenn, you would become a Senator.

I think you understood my point of reference.I was referring to dying.

I could have become a Senator.In college I was Vice President of the CYD from my school and spoke at various conferences alongside then Mayor Robert Wagner.

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Anecdotal, proves nothing.

Absolutely. The husband of a friend lived for five years with pancreatic cancer. They used some cutting edge, Western medicine treatment and were glad to have him for that long.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I think you understood my point of reference.I was referring to dying.

I could have become a Senator.In college I was Vice President of the CYD from my school and spoke at various conferences alongside then Mayor Robert Wagner.

So what? Is there a point to that statement that I'm missing?

8 hours ago, clo said:

Absolutely. The husband of a friend lived for five years with pancreatic cancer. They used some cutting edge, Western medicine treatment and were glad to have him for that long.

And Alex Trebek continued on Jeopardy until basically his dying day. I'm sure he was getting cutting edge medical treatment, not herbs from Lenny's friend in Aruba.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ovccruiser said:

The UK is trying to develop a nebulizer to help with the covid symptoms and make them less harmful https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55639096

This makes sense given the UK's chief scientific advisor on COVID doesn't believe the virus will be eliminated anytime soon.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/20/covid-19-likely-to-become-as-endemic-as-flu.html

Covid-19 is likely to become as “endemic” as the annual flu virus, according to the U.K.’s chief scientific advisor.

10 hours ago, SelectSys said:

This makes sense given the UK's chief scientific advisor on COVID doesn't believe the virus will be eliminated anytime soon.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/20/covid-19-likely-to-become-as-endemic-as-flu.html

Covid-19 is likely to become as “endemic” as the annual flu virus, according to the U.K.’s chief scientific advisor.

I have thought all along that it won't be eliminated, just like any of the flu strains. But with vaccines and treatments it can be controlled and that is the goal. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I have thought all along that it won't be eliminated, just like any of the flu strains. But with vaccines and treatments it can be controlled and that is the goal. 

Seems that way.  The "good" news is that unlike in the 1918 pandemic when more than 50 million died, the current COVID pandemic might "only" result in 5 million deaths worldwide.  Factoring for changes in world population and current science/policy probably improved outcomes by 10x.

I do find it fascinating in that both the 1918 Flu Pandemic and the 2020 COVID Pandemic will both likely last about 2 years.