Tell me about the port at Ft Lauderdale

Firepath

I'm considering using my FCC for a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. How far apart are the airport and cruise terminal and is it easy to get transportation between the two? If I flew in the night before, could I stay in a hotel at or near the airport? I'm disabled if that makes any difference.

Edited by Firepath

The drive from the airport to the cruise port is approximately 4 miles. There are lots of hotels near the airport and the cruise port.

I suggest that you head over the the Fort Lauderdale Ports of Call pages. There's a lot of information there.

10 minutes ago, Firepath said:

I'm considering using my FCC for a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. How far apart are the airport and cruise terminal and is it easy to get transportation between the two? If I flew in the night before, could I stay in a hotel at or near the airport? I'm disabled if that makes any difference.

Maybe 10 to 15 minutes. Plenty of taxis. Plenty of nearby hotels. Check out this link...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/533-florida-departures/

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

The port and the airport are only about 3 miles apart, perhaps a 15 minute drive in “normal” traffic.  There are several hotels in various price points in the area of the 2 . . . Ranging from Comfort Inn & Suites to Hyatt to Embassy Suites.  Many more as you move further out from the airport/port area.  We find Port Everglades a very easy and enjoyable port to sail from.

It is just a couple of miles from airport to terminal.  If you make arrangements in advance you should have absolutely no trouble getting transportation to the terminal with a disability.  I do not know your disability, nor do I need to, but I know they have such transportation available.  I am happy to do a little research for you and see what I can find.  I am deaf, though no mobility issues at all, so I know the challenges you must deal with.  I will go no further unless you would like me to.  

19 minutes ago, Firepath said:

Looks like they moved you buddy, which may be a good thing and generate more responses.  Assuming you are flying in a day or so prior to your cruise, the hotel you are staying at will most likely have shuttles from the airport and will be accessible, make sure to let them know in advance, they will definitely accommodate you.  

26 minutes ago, Firepath said:

@Firepath

Howdy!! emo22.gif 

Thank you for your new thread on the Celebrity Cruises forum. 👍 

Howeveryour new thread is off-topic there since your topic is a specific Port. To help you out, I have moved your thread to the Florida Departures forum. That's where members discuss hotel, transportation, dining & embarkation information. Please browse through the thread titles on this new forum l👀king for threads of interest. You will probably find  your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Edited by Host Kat
Typo due to fat fingers & skinny laptop keys!

Check out Port Everglades' official website:  www.porteverglades.net.  It includes a map of the local area, a ships schedule (updated a week in advance), and an entire section on cruising.

For Port Everglades area hotels, check out the cruise hotel section of Fort Lauderdale's tourist website:  https://www.sunny.org/plan-your-trip/cruisers/cruise-hotels/

Edited by capriccio

Hyatt Place off 17th Street is a nice option for you as they offer a shuttle from FLL to their hotel for $2.00 per room. Harbor Shopping center next door with Publix market and restaurants if you wish.

They also offer a shuttle to the port ($) or they'll call you a taxi considering you needs.

• Haha 1

You really want to fly in the day before and find a hotel. The chance of a same day aircraft problem and missing the cruise outweighs the cost of a hotel. 

happens more than you think 

15 hours ago, Firepath said:

No problem with transportation at all. Many cruisers stay on 17th St., it’s maybe a 10 minute ride from FLL. Then the port is maybe another 10 minute drive from 17th St. There are restaurants and shopping close by for last minute needs. We are flying into FLL, cruising out of Miami, staying at the Renaissance, 17th St. couldn’t pass up the low airfare and great hotel price.

43 minutes ago, skrufy said:

No problem with transportation at all. Many cruisers stay on 17th St., it’s maybe a 10 minute ride from FLL. Then the port is maybe another 10 minute drive from 17th St. There are restaurants and shopping close by for last minute needs. We are flying into FLL, cruising out of Miami, staying at the Renaissance, 17th St. couldn’t pass up the low airfare and great hotel price.

That is a great hotel. 

3 hours ago, skrufy said:

FYI, Besides the Renaissance there is a Holiday Inn, Embassy Suites, Extended Stay America,  and a Hilton. All on 17th St.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 6:07 AM, tfred said:

You really want to fly in the day before and find a hotel. The chance of a same day aircraft problem and missing the cruise outweighs the cost of a hotel. 

happens more than you think 

Flying in at least the day before..."happens more than you think" .

Nothing wrong with this approach at all...no need to "find" a hotel with a reservation :classic_huh:

My personal preference is to fly in to a destination the day before departure, if possible.

Depending on the time of year, you should consider the weather.  South Florida in August and September is well known for pop up afternoon thunder storms which foul air transportation for hours. Being on ground hold in Denver or Minneapolis or New York waiting for the weather to clear may not  be the best way to start a delightful trip.