Could Celebrity choose a new Caribbean home Port in order to cruise this summer?

cruisestitch

3 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Bahamas not only as home port, but the cruises will be entirely in the Bahamas.

The issues appear to be crossing international boarders, even among the islands.

Genting Hong Kong who own Crystal is apparently in pretty rocky financial shape. They smelled some $$$ and jumped at the opportunity. I may be painting with a broad brush, but it will be interesting to see who actually sails these ships. The typical Crystal cruisers wouldn't favor a short cruise around The Bahamas unless they are just eager to get on a ship. 

Crystal pax will find the ship and fly to it as part of World Cruise itins.  Thats what they do and it is part of the Crystal culture

I don't think X, Carnival, NCL pax will do that.  They want to fly to MIA/FLL and get on a ship

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Genting Hong Kong who own Crystal is apparently in pretty rocky financial shape. They smelled some $$$ and jumped at the opportunity. I may be painting with a broad brush, but it will be interesting to see who actually sails these ships. The typical Crystal cruisers wouldn't favor a short cruise around The Bahamas unless they are just eager to get on a ship. 

Some people are anxious to cruise and will pay almost anything to get on a ship. There is excitement on the Crystal board.  I'm pessimistic that the early cruises will go as planned especially during hurricane season.

On 3/11/2021 at 12:12 PM, TeeRick said:

Private islands like Labadee and Coco Cay could be used if they apply strict controlled access to vaccinated persons only.  Including any locals that work there.  But they are not able to be used for home ports to base cruises.  But good controlled port stops for fully vaccinated ships.

That's what I was going to say,  I could see going on a cruise there and spending, say 5 days there!  Just for the fun of it,  it would be fairly safe (and I get my second shot this sunday.)  Coco Cay is great, I've been there before.

Edited by rmalbers

On 3/11/2021 at 12:58 PM, Bo1953 said:

Also, for U.S. residents returning home from that type of sailing will run into quarantine requirements, as well...

Long run, possibly not worth it for seven (7) day, maybe for 14+ days.

bon voyage

I think quarantining is a recommendation but not a requirement.  I just got back from Mexico and there was not a word about it in any of my documents. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, marieps said:

I think quarantining is a recommendation but not a requirement.  I just got back from Mexico and there was not a word about it in any of my documents. 

m - that is different, I know when we travel out of state we must quarantine for up to 14 days, pending the state.

As I would think, international travel would have similar requirements, then again it can be dependent on the state?

bon voyage

11 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

m - that is different, I know when we travel out of state we must quarantine for up to 14 days, pending the state.

As I would think, international travel would have similar requirements, then again it can be dependent on the state?

bon voyage

The words "must quarantine" and "requirements" are too strong.

For your state of NJ, quarantine upon return from travel is recommended and expected but voluntary and not "required". 10 days if tested positive or not tested. 7 days if tested negative.

• Thanks 1

The fire on MCS Lirica in Corfu is why ports that are not prepared to handle ship emergencies are a horrible idea. The fire was on the outside where the crew was unable to contain it, and no fire boat available. They loaded a fire truck on a ferry to fight the fire. The most devastating thought is what would happen in a port with a full complement of passengers and crew, or 100 miles from port?

Would a complete inspection in a US port reveal a lapse in fire safety? Certainly this fire is going to trigger more training and updated firefighting technology on all cruise ships.

Hal

On 3/11/2021 at 8:35 AM, TeeRick said:

Yes by ignoring the monster (the virus) and it's gatekeeper (CDC).  So why would any island nation risk its people (unless most are vaccinated) for the sake of rich American tourists? And what about how the cruise line would be viewed? Don't you think a major backlash would follow?

Crystal is sailing out of the Bahamas starting in July.

11 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Yes one smaller ship (Serenity) sailing under the flag of the Bahamas.  And only sailing around the Bahamas with fully vaccinated passengers and presumably crew.  It is not going to any other Caribbean island or port.  Very much a trial cruise.  Sort of like the UK-only cruises that have been announced.

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes one smaller ship (Serenity) sailing under the flag of the Bahamas.  And only sailing around the Bahamas with fully vaccinated passengers and presumably crew.  It is not going to any other Caribbean island or port.  Very much a trial cruise.  Sort of like the UK-only cruises that have been announced.

Perhaps Celebrity could do Mexico based cruises at half capacity.

29 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Perhaps Celebrity could do Mexico based cruises at half capacity.

I think that the major cruise lines (Carnival, RCG and NCL) and all of their subsidiary lines will be very careful with the CDC and not risk going around them.  If something happens on a ship in this situation it will set back cruising for all of us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

The words "must quarantine" and "requirements" are too strong.

For your state of NJ, quarantine upon return from travel is recommended and expected but voluntary and not "required". 10 days if tested positive or not tested. 7 days if tested negative.

You are most likely correct in one way or another...

Yet, I refuse to let my guard down over this, regardless. If any employee chooses to, then they risk their job with us.

As an employer, ALL of my employees MUST quarantine for ten (10) to 14 days without exception, if traveling out of state.

We are an essential business and up to six (6)% of our employees have contracted the virus, some from each other and some from traveling out of state and at least one (1) from a client. I will not risk myself or any other person in the business 'accidentally' spreading the virus. Maybe I Am being over cautious or too safe etc.. so be it, I have to protect employees, clients and the business.

As such, that includes owners and management associates, too. If we do not have any paid sick time left to cover, then there is 1/2 pay for the duration of the stay at home requirement.

To be corrected, in my business it is a requirement to quarantine. I have every employee tested monthly and now working on getting everyone a vaccine.

This, is the least, I can do to be pro-active considering the situation and all, as far as I Am aware to date, employees abide by our company policy.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Royal Caribbean is sailing out of Haifa.  Do you interpret that as “getting around the CDC?

Sailing out of Mexico or one of the Caribbean islands with cruises that would or could otherwise be run out of US ports is getting around the CDC. Sailing out of ports half way around the globe is an entirely different thing IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bo, You must live in the center of a state. Where I live, many people live in one state and work in another, and go back-and-forth every single day. I guess none of your employees are in that situation?

Edited by cruisestitch

10 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Royal Caribbean is sailing out of Haifa.  Do you interpret that as “getting around the CDC?

No, as only Israelis can only be on-board, and only those who have been vaccinated.

CDC has no input or control over this controlled situation out of another country.

Now, if this ship would return to the U.S. to sail, then there may be additional requirements over the vessel before it can receive clearance to sail, no doubt.

bon voyage

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

No.  As far as I know Israel is not part of the US.  So trying to understand your point?  RC is sailing from Singapore as well.  Very limited cruises and destinations outside North America.  My point (opinion) is that the major cruise lines will not risk switching to non-US homeports for most Caribbean itineraries.  These destinations have primarily been from US homeports.  Switching them will be seen as purposeful move to go around the CDC.  That was the question posed from the OP (you).  Just answering your question with my opinion on it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

But some might see these efforts as a way to employ people, to provide some income to companies, (and countries,) that are bleeding money.  

I agree totally, establishing a temporary cruise home port on one of the islands would definitely be an undertaking designed to generate income, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the cruise lines would be doing an end run on the CDC.

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Not sailing out of, but sailing in the Bahamas.  The cruises start, end and all ports are in the Bahamas, so no international lines crossed.

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

To be corrected, in my business it is a requirement to quarantine. I have every employee tested monthly and now working on getting everyone a vaccine.

Thanks for the clarification, Bo. I misunderstood your shorthand.

In your OP when you wrote "we", I assumed you meant you and your significant other or travelling companion being subject to a federal or state requirement. To require employee adherence to the CDC recommendations as a business owner makes perfect sense.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The typical Crystal cruisers wouldn't favor a short cruise around The Bahamas unless they are just eager to get on a ship. 

Hmmm if you take a look on the Crystal Cruises board and Crystal Cruises Facebook group, many cruisers are so excited and are willing to book as soon as possible. lol

22 hours ago, tfred said:

Crystal pax will find the ship and fly to it as part of World Cruise itins.  Thats what they do and it is part of the Crystal culture

I don't think X, Carnival, NCL pax will do that.  They want to fly to MIA/FLL and get on a ship

Agree. Many Carnival / RCI / NCL passengers are the local residents living near to the homeport. They may not prefer flying to another country or even driving to other states for embarkation.