Could Celebrity choose a new Caribbean home Port in order to cruise this summer?

cruisestitch

18 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

m - that is different, I know when we travel out of state we must quarantine for up to 14 days, pending the state.

As I would think, international travel would have similar requirements, then again it can be dependent on the state?

bon voyage

Georgia is far different than NJ in its approach.  You may recall the former president called out our Governor by name for opening up too early.  

• Thanks 1

Costa and MSC have been using Guadeloupe and Martinique for many years. I believe Costa started back in 1995 or 1996. They already have the logistics and infrastructure in place to operate a turn around operation. Also - the majority of these passengers fly in from Europe.

For a cruise line to just decide overnight that they are going to start operating turn-arounds from a new port on a short-term basis, does not seem practical or financially lucrative.

The domestic quarantine  requirement in N.Y.S,  is gone.  Maybe the intl travel  req quarantine  for NY and other places will be lifted eventually.

Heard today folks can take a Greyhound  bus from Mexico into US.,various cities..no tests, no quarantine, no problem,  If true, maybe cruises could start from Mexico and return there too, ???

12 minutes ago, hcat said:

The domestic quarantine  requirement in N.Y.S,  is gone.  Maybe the intl travel  req quarantine  for NY and other places will be lifted eventually.

Heard today folks can take a Greyhound  bus from Mexico into US.,various cities..no tests, no quarantine, no problem,  If true, maybe cruises could start from Mexico and return there too, ???

Air travel is permitted to and from, border crossing is not, until at least March 21, but only for essential travel.

2 hours ago, RD64 said:

Costa and MSC have been using Guadeloupe and Martinique for many years. I believe Costa started back in 1995 or 1996. They already have the logistics and infrastructure in place to operate a turn around operation. Also - the majority of these passengers fly in from Europe.

For a cruise line to just decide overnight that they are going to start operating turn-arounds from a new port on a short-term basis, does not seem practical or financially lucrative.

Correct.

There is no crew in place.  Provisioning, which generally takes a 60-90 day lead time, would have to be structured and put into operation.  And don't forget that flight schedules from the US aren't in place and airlines would need to make schedule changes. 

16 hours ago, hcat said:

My state (PA) eliminated travel restrictions as of March 1.  Many states are lifting restrictions.  But at this point I would think the great citizens of the country of Mexico would be in more COVID risk/danger from Americans traveling there.

https://www.travelpulse.com/gallery/impacting-travel/covid-19-us-travel-restrictions-state-by-state-guide-for-march-2021.html?image=2

On 3/11/2021 at 10:23 AM, cruisestitch said:

Could Celebrity choose a new Caribbean home Port in order to cruise this summer?  

If the CDC is still limiting or denying Cruises, might Celebrity just pick a different place as a home port and cruise out of there this summer

You were right.  I was wrong.  I thought there was no way Celebrity and Royal Caribbean would go around the CDC this summer to cruise the Caribbean.  Millennium out of St Martin.  And Adventure OTS out of the Bahamas.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My take is they bent over backwards trying to get the CDC to compromise, but finally realized that the CDC is going to ban all cruising as long as they can.  Look how they just tried to stop American Queen from a sailing that fully complies with their guidelines!  [American Queen Steamboat cancels preview cruise over CDC dispute – thankfully resolved quickly, but shows CDC's determination IMHO]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

You were right.  I was wrong.  I thought there was no way Celebrity and Royal Caribbean would go around the CDC this summer to cruise the Caribbean.  Millennium out of St Martin.  And Adventure OTS out of the Bahamas.  

Since they have not actually started sailing, I believe it is too early to say who was right and who was wrong.  With COVID cases starting to increase again in some states, I would not be surprised if some or all of these cruises end up being cancelled.

I for one an glad they are making these moves...

• Like 1

I for one find today's announcements from Celebrity, Royal, and American Queen Steamboat Company a breath of hope!  Especially AQSC being able to beat down the CDC's attempt to stop their completely legitimate sailing on the Mississippi!  We will be back cruising sooner, it looks today, than we thought yesterday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I for one find today's announcements from Celebrity, Royal, and American Queen Steamboat Company a breath of hope!  Especially AQSC being able to beat down the CDC's attempt to stop their completely legitimate sailing on the Mississippi!  We will be back cruising sooner, it looks today, than we thought yesterday.

I do not think in the US, but cruising resuming, seems so.

27 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

It isn’t a matter of winning or losing, I was just “asking a cruise question”,  based on a hunch.  We will see how it plays out.

Yes agree,  Did you see the Fine Print in the Royal Caribbean announcement?  It was in the marketing email they sent out.  I wonder what defines the threshold level?  This would definitely make me not want to go.

NOTICE: Prior to booking, please consult all applicable U.S. Centers for Disease Control travel advisories, warnings, or recommendations relating to cruise travel, at cdc.gov/travel/notices. If a certain threshold level of COVID-19 is detected onboard the ship during your voyage, the voyage will end immediately, the ship will return to the port of embarkation, and your subsequent travel, including your return home, may be restricted or delayed.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes agree,  Did you see the Fine Print in the Royal Caribbean announcement?  It was in the marketing email they sent out.  I wonder what defines the threshold level?  This would definitely make me not want to go.

NOTICE: Prior to booking, please consult all applicable U.S. Centers for Disease Control travel advisories, warnings, or recommendations relating to cruise travel, at cdc.gov/travel/notices. If a certain threshold level of COVID-19 is detected onboard the ship during your voyage, the voyage will end immediately, the ship will return to the port of embarkation, and your subsequent travel, including your return home, may be restricted or delayed.

This exact language is also on the Celebrity website in the Millennium announcement if you scroll to the bottom.

This exact language is also on the Celebrity website in the Millennium announcement if you scroll to the bottom.

It's also the top item if you follow the Health and Travel Alerts link on the main Celebrity webpage.

On 3/19/2021 at 12:23 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

My take is they bent over backwards trying to get the CDC to compromise, but finally realized that the CDC is going to ban all cruising as long as they can.  Look how they just tried to stop American Queen from a sailing that fully complies with their guidelines!  [American Queen Steamboat cancels preview cruise over CDC dispute – thankfully resolved quickly, but shows CDC's determination IMHO]

The article was clear that the CDC was reviewing the permit. That the point of contention was that they were going to sail at reduced capacity and in compliance. Once that was confirmed all was well.

Your post makes it sound like the CDC tried to stop them after it was confirmed that they were going to operate at reduced capacity and were permitted to do so.

I also suspect that large cruise lines do not want to set a precedent of having CDC personnel actually monitoring their protocols and operations, a step beyond the past inspection program. As such I think that they will try to out wait the CDC if economically possible rather than sail under the current terms.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 9:23 AM, cruisestitch said:

If the CDC is still limiting or denying Cruises, might Celebrity just pick a different place as a home port and cruise out of there this summer

Now the question is whether Celebrity is thinking of placing a second ship out there?  I guess that may depend on how well Millennium goes and how much progress is being made with CDC direction.

3 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Now the question is whether Celebrity is thinking of placing a second ship out there?  I guess that may depend on how well Millennium goes and how much progress is being made with CDC direction.

By the end of April, they should have a good idea of how bookings are going for the Millennium and whether a second ship might be feasible. Whether that would give them enough time to crew the second ship and prepare it for the short season is another question.

8 hours ago, Fouremco said:

By the end of April, they should have a good idea of how bookings are going for the Millennium and whether a second ship might be feasible. Whether that would give them enough time to crew the second ship and prepare it for the short season is another question.

Considering that summer is the off season for the Caribbean and normally you have few ships there I don't know why you would consider it a short season.  It would just be starting early for the normal fall winter season.

1 hour ago, nocl said:

Considering that summer is the off season for the Caribbean and normally you have few ships there I don't know why you would consider it a short season.  It would just be starting early for the normal fall winter season.

Any cruise season less than 3 months in length I consider to be short. YMMV.

How many  berths are available in Barbados?  One time we  docked at a commercial pier area...not as nice as cruise ship berth.

Are there any other possible "home ports"...must  have decent airports., ship repair facilities,  supply chain , pre cruise hotels..and med facilities, etc????

10 minutes ago, hcat said:

How many  berths are available in Barbados?  One time we  docked at a commercial pier area...not as nice as cruise ship berth.

Are there any other possible "home ports"...must  have decent airports., ship repair facilities,  supply chain , pre cruise hotels..and med facilities, etc????

I think this is where the traditional ports have such an advantage. Infrastructure, hotels, and international airports. Instead of complaining about an agency doing its job, with no requirement to compromise, provide a plan to them and start a dialogue. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I would predict that the sailings would be sold out rather quickly.  There is only one ship about half full.  Celebrity so far has the best itinerary for the 3 ships sailing...

4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I would predict that the sailings would be sold out rather quickly.  There is only one ship about half full.  Celebrity so far has the best itinerary for the 3 ships sailing...

Probably so.