The Daily for Saturday Mar 13, 2021

richwmn

Woo Hoo!  Got him in!  I went online on the dot of 8AM and was able to secure a spot for DH's first vaccination on March 17th at 11:40AM.  I promised him if he doesn't cry, I'll treat him to ice cream or a shamrock shake. 

I didn't think I was stressed about it, but realized I hardly slept last night, hoping I wouldn't sleep in and be at the end of the queue with no spots available.  I'm thinking a nap is in order today.

@bennybear Happy Birthday to you, for whatever day you choose to celebrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 28

2 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Woo Hoo!  Got him in!  I went online on the dot of 8AM and was able to secure a spot for DH's first vaccination on March 17th at 11:40AM.  I promised him if he doesn't cry, I'll treat him to ice cream or a shamrock shake. 

I didn't think I was stressed about it, but realized I hardly slept last night, hoping I wouldn't sleep in and be at the end of the queue with no spots available.  I'm thinking a nap is in order today.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Woo Hoo 😀 😃 Good news indeed, Gerry.  That’s a great way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day ☘️ 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. Our K-9 vet heroes should be celebrated. Hope they each get an extra Greenie! Though I enjoyed reading about my Geneology, I have never conducted research. I do have a cousin who researched her Dad’s & my Mom’s line back to 16th century England. But it got very confusing near the end. Fun read, though. I have never owned a Fanny pack, perhaps because I have always packed enough of a Fanny on my own. 

Roy, I agree with Debbie, I hope the caring and warmth of this community helped you yesterday & the days to come. Thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters!

Jackie thank you for the Oprah interview pic. He was just protecting his territory. @dfish, if you replace one, you should replace both.  Just an FYI, my appliance repair guru says that the only items of LG that he would recommend are their washer & dryer. 

Great quote. Love Roy’s meal suggestion. I am not sure I have ever had a Black Russian before. I had a great lunch with the visiting member of my Gang of 8 from my Hawaii cruise. I had Pink Sangria with strawberries, dragon fruit, lychee, white wine & champagne. It was amazing. Since I have never had a lychee nut, I am not sure how that changed the taste - but it was tasty! And it is so amazing how you can just pick up the friendship after not seeing one another for 18 months. Roll Calls are wonderful things! Tonight I will be visiting a local restaurant for the best mushroom Swiss burger near me & wine.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This is one of my favorite Pinot Noirs. Another wine I usually have at least one of in the house. The reviews focus on the 2017 vintage, and I found that online for around $19.99. But I usually buy it on sale for less. If you are willing to wait a bit, both the 2018 & 2019 share the same rating and are in the $15 range. If you are a PN fan, this is a good one to try.

Winemaker Notes

A rich garnet color with a ruby edge, the wine opens to reveal lifted fruit aromas of bright strawberry and jammy fruit, mocha, and vanilla, along with toasty oak notes. Expressive boysenberry, blackberry, dark cherry, juicy strawberry, and toasty mocha flavors lend complexity and depth on the palate. The well-integrated oak provides structure and depth seldom seen in Pinot Noir.

Meiomi Pinot Noir has a consistent profile of supple tannins, silky texture, and balanced acidity that makes it the perfect wine to enjoy with a wide array of food. It pairs particularly well with tomato-based pasta dishes, thin-crust pizza, grilled lamb, and turkey
TP92 Wine.com’s Tasting Panel: Soft berry nose; spicy, rich and long. A crisp, clean blend from three important appellations (Monterey, Santa Barbara, and Sonoma), each of which imparts a special character. Aged six months in 100% French oak.

Meiomi aka Mama Mia is one of our house wines,  too;  very easy to drink red!  

If I am ever in your neck of the woods I want one of those mushroom burgers!   Here’s my favourite so far from California, Paso Robles area. 

7F10F955-D0BF-4944-A6ED-4651F6499BB3.jpeg

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I am so excited for you and we felt the same way! Terry

• Like 9

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

Noordam Destination Los Angelas eta 3/13

Howdy Rich; Noordam is currently at the Long Beach anchorage inside the port's breakwater along with Norwegian Jewel, Grand Princess and Carnival Panorama. She can't get to the single Long Beach berth until Carnival Miracle, currently there, vacates it. The plan is for Noordam to spend today and tomorrow in Long Beach and on Monday transit the short distance to San Pedro where she will spent the day until departure that late afternoon

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9230115

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and thanks all!  

We haven’t been to Molde, so will watch for others photos.   
@dfish agree, get the set, you won’t be sorry.   For years I had mismatched ones, it was so nice to get a nice pair.   I was agonizing over spending 500$ on new dishes, then realized how much I’ve saved this year, lol.  On a cruise I don’t even blink over some of the expenses, lol!  

DH’s best friend was K9,   Loved the story how his dog broke out of the cage at the vet,  and got right out the front door of the clinic!   Have a soft spot for German Shepherds, we’ve had two and our DS has one.  

I’m feeling very grateful today, although a little worried as DD who is a teacher was exposed and is in quarantine.  

@cruisemom42 interesting story on the pickpocket.  My DH got pickpocketed in Taormina,  they only got his throwaway wallet,  and he grabbed the guy, but it was already passed to a partner.  Luckily,  the guy dropped it and he got it back.  Unless it’s under your clothes these guys are so good, so we use money belts.  

7E731EDF-F68F-4FE6-A468-DCDAAC2E1943.jpeg

• Like 20

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

This is Wodan (think Thor and Norse mythology), my K-9 partner for five years; best assignment in the PD ever! Like myself, Wodan came from Holland, from the province of Limburg, way down in the far south of the country, bordering Belgium and Germany. I'm from Amsterdam in the northwest.  He took his commands in Dutch and was three years old, and fully trained in the Netherlands, when I got him. Our (K-9) handlers course was three weeks long and in Riverside, southeast of Los Angeles County. After the initial course, training continued every Wednesday evening with either the other K-9s from my Department, a group of K-9s from neighboring cities, and/or the dogs in our area which all came from the kennel in Riverside. Like working on the ships, training never stops! 

Wodan got his share of bad guys, mostly burglars and robbers that ran and hid in people's backyards or, in one case, in some shrubbery along the busy San Diego freeway. We also did lots and lots of presentations for school kids, rotary clubs, safety fairs (as in this pic with former L.A. Rams football player and actor Fred Dryer), neighborhood watch meetings, etc.

When his five years was up, the city sold Wodan to me for one dollar and he became a full time pet. Unfortunately, after a year in retirement, he developed hip dysplasia, which is not uncommon for working shepherds, which affected his hind legs. He had hip surgery but never walked again. The drive to our vet to have him put down is still the longest drive of my life 😟 You develop an incredible close bond with these animals in five years and fully depend on them!    

TPD K-9 Fred Dryer at DAFC Crime Fair.jpg

What a beauty!   Our first shepherd was Thor, although he was terrified of thunder🤷‍♀️😂

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rowsby said:

I've been addicted to Genealogy for decades....

Saw this online....and it totally says it all......:)

genealogy.jpg

Oh my!   Giggling, don’t get DH started😉; although he helped me  find my grandmother’s  stories about a famous Clown in the family were true and we got to visit his Villa on the Italian Riviera that is now the national clown Museum.  They even turned on all the fountains for us, as I was the first family member to ever visit.  

A0E05995-45EC-41D2-9B23-462FA31BB3DB.jpeg

990B0794-161E-4890-B032-A08952CC6886.jpeg

55507755-8CBC-4F5B-B099-F63FAA827BD5.jpeg

EB6DAAA3-EFB9-4D6B-96F5-D5B5868F6E1F.jpeg

3DD27CA1-E988-42DA-A89D-805849F46563.jpeg

EC6285FB-3E39-4229-8349-4DEB61C40FA2.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 25

Good evening from a sunny Cork, with occasional snow or hail showers.  It is currently 6°C (43°F).

@bennybear Happy Birthday 🚀

@Overhead Fred Glad Mitzi had a good day.  If that is the gin that DS bought, then it is Scottish!

@ger_77 Great news for first shot! (and wine! 🤣)

Clocks don't change in Europe until March 28th, so we will have two weeks when you guys are closer than ever to us! 😃

Fanny Packs are called 'Bum Bags' over here, as fanny has other meanings 😉

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rowsby said:

I've been addicted to Genealogy for decades....

Saw this online....and it totally says it all......:)

genealogy.jpg

Love  it!  I started doing geneaogy about 4 years ago after I closed my business and had time on my hands. Have tons of old pictures and letters plus I joined Ancestry.   I am sure I have annoyed several family members who pretended to be interested....but hopebully not complete strangers. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Good morning all!

We have another beautiful day here, and I’m not going to dawdle getting out on my bike! Then I think to Long Beach to drop off my sewing machine and gawk at Noordam. If it isn’t too hazy.

@Copper10-8 Do you usually see any performance changes in the engine after a narc burn? Perhaps sluggishness, wandering helm, or extra RPMs? 

@ger_77 congratulations, you have well earned a nap.

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily. 

A salute to K9 Vets. I've been doing some Genealogy. Used to wear fanny packs that locked and had wire mesh to thwart slicing, but now use a small cross body bag.

Good dinner and drinks (although I prefer white russians). I have ribs, but they're in the freezer.

Haven't been to today's port.

It's sunny, but chilly today. Although I think it's normal temperature and we were just spoiled by a few warm days.

@Copper10-8 Thanks for sharing the story of Wodan.

@bennybear Happy Birthday Weekend! I hope your DD stays well.

@ger_77 Congrats on getting DH an appointment for the jab!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I took your advice and am now the proud owner of a new washer and dryer, to be delivered on Tuesday.  I did get the LG washer and dryer as they fit in my price range, had the features I wanted and a high ranking from Consumers Reports.  

Now, I originally planned to get a new fridge with my stimulus check as the current model is at least 25 years old, probably closer to 30.  Sometimes it sounds like it is barreling down the runway for takeoff.  So, I got one of them as well.  

Now, a question for those who might know.  Width of the fridge is 35.85 inches.  The opening I have is 36.25 inches.  Am I ok?   It will be tight, but I think we can do it if we steer it in correctly.

I was happy as I left the store, thinking I am home safe from the appliance curse when my sister reminded me I still have a prehistoric microwave.  Back when she moved to France in 2000 she shipped her microwave, then a few years old, to me from California.  I've had it ever since.  And, it still runs very well.  No weird noises or smells.  I could live without that as I can do most everything else another way except for popcorn.

• Like 18

3 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@Copper10-8 Do you usually see any performance changes in the engine after a narc burn? Perhaps sluggishness, wandering helm, or extra RPMs? 

Totally (I sound like a Valley Girl) depends on the type of narcotics being burned Ma'am 😉 The engines will suddenly go on the nod for a couple of hours, or they will perform the likes of Jamaican bullet Usain "Lightning" Bolt himself would be jealous................

• Like 9
  • Haha 11

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

Ok, I took your advice and am now the proud owner of a new washer and dryer, to be delivered on Tuesday.  I did get the LG washer and dryer as they fit in my price range, had the features I wanted and a high ranking from Consumers Reports.  

Now, I originally planned to get a new fridge with my stimulus check as the current model is at least 25 years old, probably closer to 30.  Sometimes it sounds like it is barreling down the runway for takeoff.  So, I got one of them as well.  

Now, a question for those who might know.  Width of the fridge is 35.85 inches.  The opening I have is 36.25 inches.  Am I ok?   It will be tight, but I think we can do it if we steer it in correctly.

I was happy as I left the store, thinking I am home safe from the appliance curse when my sister reminded me I still have a prehistoric microwave.  Back when she moved to France in 2000 she shipped her microwave, then a few years old, to me from California.  I've had it ever since.  And, it still runs very well.  No weird noises or smells.  I could live without that as I can do most everything else another way except for popcorn.

We bought our DS an LG set too, based on the ratings for his new home.

At least microwaves are less expensive and easy to replace if you need to.  Good luck with that shoehorn, but I am sure you will be delighted! 

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Oh my!   Giggling, don’t get DH started😉; although he helped me  find my grandmother’s  stories about a famous Clown in the family were true and we got to visit his Villa on the Italian Riviera that is now the national clown Museum.  They even turned on all the fountains for us, as I was the first family member to ever visit.  

A0E05995-45EC-41D2-9B23-462FA31BB3DB.jpeg

990B0794-161E-4890-B032-A08952CC6886.jpeg

55507755-8CBC-4F5B-B099-F63FAA827BD5.jpeg

EB6DAAA3-EFB9-4D6B-96F5-D5B5868F6E1F.jpeg

3DD27CA1-E988-42DA-A89D-805849F46563.jpeg

EC6285FB-3E39-4229-8349-4DEB61C40FA2.jpeg

I've had fun with genealogy for many years, and have joined a whole bunch of hereditary societies as a result, but this is the best "find" story I've ever heard.  Thanks for sharing it. 😍

• Like 8

I never used a fanny pack (or bum bag).  I was in Paris in Nov 2018 and thought I was safe with my extremely small cross-body bag under my coat.  Since it was early Nov I had my coat buttoned-up but when we went into a coffee shop to get some lunch I undid the front of the coat to get my money to pay the girl at the counter.  We sat down to eat and when we left I forgot to button it back up.  Walked a short distance to Notre Dame and as I was standing on the side next to the Seine taking a picture there appeared out of nowhere a group of young gypsy ladies with clipboards.  My purse was showing since my coat was still open and one of them had put her clipboard over the purse.  Her hand went under the clipboard and she had already opened the top zipper when I knocked the clipboard out of her hand.  She did not get anything!  But it was so close.  I will always wonder how she knew which zipper to open as there were 3 zippers?  I think that perhaps the coffee shop clerk had told her my description and which zipper held the little money purse.  I am seriously thinking of getting one of those vests with many hidden pockets for future trips.

Edited by Red Haired Lady
  • Like 15

I was just checking to see if there was anything worthwhile to watch on tv today.  I found one thing of interest.  Today at 5 pm ET on the Smithsonian channel “Mighty Cruise Ships is running the Koningsdam episode.  I’ve watched it before and found it very enjoyable.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

If I am ever in your neck of the woods I want one of those mushroom burgers!   Here’s my favourite so far from California, Paso Robles area. 

7F10F955-D0BF-4944-A6ED-4651F6499BB3.jpeg

Can you share the name of the place that serves those terrific looking burgers?  Mrs. XBGuy and I are hoping that we can get up to the Central Coast for a visit later this year.

21 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 7

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Over the years I've had the pleasure of knowing a number of K9 vets and their handlers, and would welcome any of them into my home for a visit. ...............................

Maria and I will drop in for a visit when the frozen tundra gets a little warmer and then we can go see the Mounties in Regina 😉 

Two RCMP officers wearing red serge standing next to a flag post are raising a large Canadian flag.

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

I never used a fanny pack (or bum bag).  I was in Paris in Nov 2019 and thought I was safe with my extremely small cross-body bag under my coat.  Since it was early Nov I had my coat buttoned-up but when we went into a coffee shop to get some lunch I undid the front of the coat to get my money to pay the girl at the counter.  We sat down to eat and when we left I forgot to button it back up.  Walked a short distance to Notre Dame and as I was standing on the side next to the Seine taking a picture there appeared out of nowhere a group of young gypsy ladies with clipboards.  My purse was showing since my coat was still open and one of them had put her clipboard over the purse.  Her hand went under the clipboard and she had already opened the top zipper when I knocked the clipboard out of her hand.  She did not get anything!  But it was so close.  I will always wonder how she knew which zipper to open as there were 3 zippers?  I think that perhaps the coffee shop clerk had told her my description and which zipper held the little purse.  I am seriously thinking of getting one of those vests with many hidden pockets for future trips.

We just wear a waist money belt inside our clothes, DH’s image.thumb.jpeg.c85c83df74dee6f68d7b86f33238cd64.jpegis like a pocket that attaches to his belt but  goes inside his pants.   We carry around 50 euros in cash, for day money and if we need more we go to the “bank” in the restroom.  We literally never worry about it.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Can you share the name of the place that serves those terrific looking burgers?

Sylvester’s in Atascadero! I still dream about all those mushrooms not to mention the wine.  So much to see and so in that area!  

76E4DDF1-D4F1-4D75-B7FB-A929D0A7DE25.jpeg

AECB4FA5-AEB3-4BD2-80AE-543C2B043A37.jpeg

84F8E75F-0F8B-49D6-964D-3C08249E8185.jpeg

D0467CED-4E7D-46B4-9882-9154729A0A88.jpeg

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone, again!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Thank you for your lists Roy. I was thinking of you all day yesterday. 

I will celebrate all the days. Yes, I am a fan of fanny packs, but not when traveling. The one that I’m using right now is a HAL Fanny pack. I’m not sure when I got it, I vaguely think it was a prize. I found it tucked under some old HAL canvas totes in my closet still wrapped up last year. I started using it after I retired last June. The best thing I like about it is that you can wear it around your waist or use it like a handbag (which is what I normally do). 

33E3DFD2-E64F-402F-BB8B-B01D5C777031.thumb.jpeg.170e0e7db7cb0357cf11716176ac94d9.jpeg

I also have a Geico one (DH’s employer) that is bigger and has more pockets and a water bottle holder. I use it for walking/hiking. 

The meal suggestion sounds good but I’m not sure what we will have today. 

Another port of the day that I haven’t been to, maybe someday. 

I’ve never had a Black Russian but have had White Russians before. They are very good. 

Have a great day everyone!

I think they quit the Dam dollars right after I started cruising ☹️. Love this fanny pack.

It’s interesting to read everyone’s take on the fanny pack (aka hip bag, bum pack).  Have tried so many travel purses and money holders and have liked very few. First I had a Baggallini, which had been highly recommended, but the one I had was too small for the things I carried. So then I bought a bigger one (complete with the no-cut strap), but no matter how I adjusted it, it was not really comfortable and seemed best hanging toward my back, which I don’t like as I want my hand on the bag when walking in crowds. That is why I have never liked backpacks. I also tried some packs designed to go around your neck and tuck inside your clothing, but that was uncomfortable and weird to pull out. So my fanny pack is still my choice where I can have it in front and a hand on it when necessary. I will be delighted to get mine down from the shelf if we go back to traveling.

St Louis Sal

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We just wear a waist money belt inside our clothes, DH’s image.thumb.jpeg.c85c83df74dee6f68d7b86f33238cd64.jpegis like a pocket that attaches to his belt but  goes inside his pants.   We carry around 50 euros in cash, for day money and if we need more we go to the “bank” in the restroom.  We literally never worry about it.  

Since I don't wear a belt I use a similar thing that hangs from a cord around my neck under my shirt for my "bank" unless I keep it in the safe on the ship.  The money I almost lost was my day money and 1 credit card. 

• Like 6