Sunday on Oceania Cruises

Host Jazzbeau

I have two questions about Sunday on an Oceania cruise:

(1) Is there a Catholic Mass – or other Christian service?

(2) Is this when Brunch is scheduled, or is that determined by the itinerary?

13 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I have two questions about Sunday on an Oceania cruise:

(1) Is there a Catholic Mass – or other Christian service?

(2) Is this when Brunch is scheduled, or is that determined by the itinerary?

Non-denominational services are the norm. Holidays of specific religions may have additional services led by passengers (occasionally including the appropriate cleric.

The “full blown” Brunches on Oceania are dependent on itinerary as to day and if they occur at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I'm planning an itinerary for Martinique on a Sunday.  I will start late enough to have a good breakfast on board, but won't get back on ship until 2:30.  Will there be food service at that time?  [Or should I add lunch to the tour schedule?]

32 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So I'm planning an itinerary for Martinique on a Sunday.  I will start late enough to have a good breakfast on board, but won't get back on ship until 2:30.  Will there be food service at that time?  [Or should I add lunch to the tour schedule?]

The Waves should be open till 4 PM which along with afternoon tea at 4PM should tide you over till dinner.

Of course, there is 24 hr room service with a limited menu.

• Like 2

The fabulous, outrageous, Sunday brunches are typically only served on sea days. Extremely special, on the rare occasions when they have them.

Personally, in your example, I’d do lunch ashore. Do afternoon Tea on your sea day.

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Waves is awesome, Jazz.  Try the surf and turf sandwich, with or without the bun.  Beats the heck out of what we =X=ers and used to at the Mast Grill.

• Like 2

With the surf and turf in Waves, don't let them overcook the lobster medallion!  Same thing in the Terrace Grill, I stand there and tell the cook when to turn it over as well as when to take it off the grill and plate it!

Donna

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeorgesGal said:

With the surf and turf in Waves, don't let them overcook the lobster medallion!  Same thing in the Terrace Grill, I stand there and tell the cook when to turn it over as well as when to take it off the grill and plate it!

Donna

Good plan unless that cook is busy with multiple different orders and other responsibilities. 

Plus, in Waves, one places their order and goes to their table and are later served. There is no standing over the chefs telling them what to do.

Those Florida lobster are pre-cooked and frozen. Every minute on the grill is just further cooking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Those Florida lobster are pre-cooked and frozen. Every minute on the grill is just further cooking.

Of course they are! You don't think they're sailing for weeks/months with live lobsters, do you? I checked a few food sites and they everyone says there's NO problem with that. In fact many that I checked assume that's what you're going to be eating.  They make a distinction between pre-cooking and cooking. After thawing they can be steamed, boiled or grilled. But, yes, a very few minutes on the grill, like three?, is all they need.

Not a problem.  We spend 2-3 weeks every summer in Acadia National Park in Maine eating lobsters just pulled out of the ocean, so we would never think of ordering lobster on a ship.  [I'm glad that those from land-locked areas do enjoy them.  You can have mine!]

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

Donna

Wow, just Wow! 🙄

• Like 2

20 hours ago, pinotlover said:

The fabulous, outrageous, Sunday brunches are typically only served on sea days. Extremely special, on the rare occasions when they have them.

I agree that you shouldn't count on any sort of Sunday brunch. It would be extremely rare.  I was once on an O cruise on Mother's Day and it was a sea day.  Silly me, I thought they might do something for the mothers onboard.  Haha, no.  The only thing they did was the cruise director made an announcement over the PA wishing mothers onboard a happy mother's day.  A group of us ladies gathered in Horizons that afternoon and toasted ourselves. We made our own celebration. 

On the one hand, this is a 14-night cruise.  On the other hand, @ORV is right that it may be too soon for self-serve events.  Oceania is lucky that the 'buffet' has always been served, so they don't need to change staffing for that.

We'll be fine with that Waves menu posted above.  If they had Bratwurst, DW would be there every day!  But the occasional burger, if thick enough and cooked to order [medium rare], is a treat.

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

If they had Bratwurst,

Speaking of that, on one cruise where we had just had a port stop at Warnemunde, that day(or maybe the next) at Waves they had 3 or 4 different styles of Brats setup there. It was great. 

Edited by ORV

24 minutes ago, ORV said:

Speaking of that, on one cruise where we had just had a port stop at Warnemunde, that day(or maybe the next) at Waves they had 3 or 4 different styles of Brats setup there. It was great. 

What a coincidence:  after posting the above, DW called me down to dinner – and it was bratwurst!!!  And now this post is making my mouth water [even though my stomach is full :classic_biggrin:]

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Darn I missed that ...maybe the day after  there was hardly anyone on the ship that day

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We'll be fine with that Waves menu posted above.  If they had Bratwurst, DW would be there every day!  But the occasional burger, if thick enough and cooked to order [medium rare], is a treat.

No medium rare burgers   there is  a notice  at the  bottom of the  menu

8 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

No medium rare burgers   there is  a notice  at the  bottom of the  menu

Really?  What I read says you can have your burger prepared 'to order.'  The bottom part is an 'Advisory,' not a law.  How does Oceania interpret it – if I'm willing to accept the listed 'risk'?

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 10.43.59 PM.png

PS – this sounds like a CDC or FDA warning, and the burger in question would be being ordered in port in Martinique.  The French not only believe that medium-rare is safe, they have a special phrase for it:  'à point'