July cruise won't sail - will it?

kelly-NYC

2 hours ago, topaz123 said:

To stop the virus from spreading , would entail every person on earth receiving the vaccine. Until the populace of the globe is vaccinated ...then there would exist those un-vaccinated, and thus spreaders of the variants.

Not just people but animals as well.  Covid is zoonotic.   Even if spread was stopped in people, you still got dogs and cats, bears and tigers and those mink in Denmark.  It's a nonstop mutation party!

2 hours ago, jfunk138 said:

Not just people but animals as well.  Covid is zoonotic.   Even if spread was stopped in people, you still got dogs and cats, bears and tigers and those mink in Denmark.  It's a nonstop mutation party!

A: There is a very small number of pets around the world reported to be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 after having contact with a person with COVID-19. Based on the limited information currently available, the risk of animals spreading COVID-19 to people is considered low. 

Until we learn more about how this virus affects animals, treat pets as you would other human family members to protect them from a potential infection.

• Do not let pets interact with people outside the household.
  • Keep cats indoors when possible to prevent them from interacting with other animals or people.
  • Walk dogs on a leash, maintaining at least 6 feet (2 meters) from other people.
  • Avoid dog parks or public places where a large number of people gather.

Talk to your veterinarian if your pet gets sick or if you have any concerns about your pet’s health. Learn more about Pet Safety & COVID-19

Apparently the virus is largely nocturnal because the crowds need to be off the streets at night in Miami. 

If there is no sudden surge in the next few weeks, look for lawsuits to compel the CDC to waive restrictions on ships. 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Moviela said:

Apparently the virus is largely nocturnal because the crowds need to be off the streets at night in Miami. 

If there is no sudden surge in the next few weeks, look for lawsuits to compel the CDC to waive restrictions on ships. 

Lol well while that's funny, the crowds in miami were also tearing things up and doing other crimes. It wasnt all about covid, it was how they were acting, like a mob. Tonight I heard spring break was over in miami. They had enough. People were getting hurt.

In the news this morning, Royal will sail out of Nassau starting in June.  Everyone must be vaccinated and pass Covid tests, restrictions once onboard.  It has to start somewhere, hold on cruising can’t continue indefinitely.

As for South Beach, 1K+ arrests, guns confiscated and lots of damaged rental vehicles.  Large groups doing dine and dash, some have been caught but restaurants losing the battle for the most part.  Based on how things are going, this will be the last spring break for these folks, at least in Miami Beach.

On 3/19/2021 at 6:37 AM, CruiseHealing said:

1.  CDC presents the protocol for the test cruises.  The cruise lines are still waiting and the CDC (not being a friend to cruising) is in no hurry to provide the test requirements.

You missed the one they say will be "coming shortly" which are the Agreements for testing and quarantining with land based facilities and port authorities before the test cruising can take place

4 hours ago, Mr305 said:

Do you think that just because Royal is sailing out of Nassau in June and Celebrity is sailing out of St. Maarten in June as well, that it will miraculously allow Carnival to sail out of the US in July?  If so, I have some oceanfront property for sale in Iowa.

3 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Do you think that just because Royal is sailing out of Nassau in June and Celebrity is sailing out of St. Maarten in June as well, that it will miraculously allow Carnival to sail out of the US in July?  If so, I have some oceanfront property for sale in Iowa.

The connection is that by July, there will be multiple sailings completed by multiple cruise lines.  I think the poster is optimistic that those cruises will go off without a hitch and then everyone will start cruising again.

No reason to be a jerk about it..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It will be interesting to see if there is a significant increase in cases due to Spring Break---or not. If there is, the CDC will probably be apoplectic and have all sorts of "we told you so" quotes in the news for weeks. If there isn't a noticeable increase in cases...*crickets*

As for the completely outrageous behavior of the spring breakers, it's almost like they have all this anger and unspent energy from being cooped up and told they can't have a life for over a year...oh, wait...still, no excuse for lawlessness. But I can understand the desire to party.

I can't see cruises resuming by July, especially out of Baltimore. We have a Thanksgiving cruise booked from Baltimore and I am highly doubtful about our chances.  

5 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

The connection is that by July, there will be multiple sailings completed by multiple cruise lines.  I think the poster is optimistic that those cruises will go off without a hitch and then everyone will start cruising again.

No reason to be a jerk about it..

Not being a jerk.  The fact that Royal and Celebrity are cruising out of the Caribbean is similar to Princess, MSC and P&O sailing in the UK this summer.

It has zero to do with whether or when cruises will resume in the US.  Many hoops need to be jumped through before they will start up again and there is even the possibility that nothing will happen till the November 1 CDC ban expires.

4 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Not being a jerk.  The fact that Royal and Celebrity are cruising out of the Caribbean is similar to Princess, MSC and P&O sailing in the UK this summer.

It has zero to do with whether or when cruises will resume in the US.  Many hoops need to be jumped through before they will start up again and there is even the possibility that nothing will happen till the November 1 CDC ban expires.

I disagree.

EVERY cruise that happens anywhere in the world right now impacts the future of cruising in the US.  Whether or not they go off without a hitch or with a giant outbreak onboard will shape what happens here.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

CNN)Fully vaccinated people should feel free to visit their unvaccinated family and friends without restrictions, but visits should be limited to one unvaccinated household at a time, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials said Monday.

And sorry, but even fully vaccinated grandparents should not be bringing their grandkids to church or otherwise exposing them to crowds, CDC officials said during a web briefing.
The CDC will update its guidance once it becomes clear how well vaccination prevents spread of the virus, but for the time being, there are still limits on what fully vaccinated people should do, they said.

With these comments today on CNN by the CDC, why does anyone think the CDC will allow cruising in July or anytime soon.

32 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

With these comments today on CNN by the CDC, why does anyone think the CDC will allow cruising in July or anytime soon.

I suppose people are hopeful that as more people get vaccinated, the risk to the general population from the non-vaccinated (eventually being a small minority, hopefully) is minimized, to the point that masks, social distancing, and other measures can be relaxed because the opportunity for an infected person to infect a non-immunized person (the vector for further spreading) has been greatly reduced.

July is four months away.  Four months ago (late-Nov 2020) there were no approved vaccines in the US.  Today, about a quarter of the US population has received at least one dose - and really it has been only two or three months of steady vaccinations, and the rate is expected to increase with more availability of existing vaccines, and additional vaccines (like A-Z).  So there is a real possibility the US will reach herd immunity in July.  At the very least, there will very likely be enough of the population to entertain cruising with proof of vaccination.

• Like 1

As more people get vaccinated, I am beginning to wonder if the CDC is slow-walking the guidelines because they are hoping they can just let the order expire on November 1 without having to roll out a new program. As a formal federal contractor, I can tell you that the Fed is not going to make extra work for themselves if they don't have to. 

So, if this is what the CDC is betting on, what signs would we start to see--and when--from both the cruise lines and CDC that an expiration of the order (with no renewal) might actually happen?

1 hour ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

As more people get vaccinated, I am beginning to wonder if the CDC is slow-walking the guidelines because they are hoping they can just let the order expire on November 1 without having to roll out a new program. As a formal federal contractor, I can tell you that the Fed is not going to make extra work for themselves if they don't have to. 

So, if this is what the CDC is betting on, what signs would we start to see--and when--from both the cruise lines and CDC that an expiration of the order (with no renewal) might actually happen?

Sounds like a strategy that would work for both the CDC and the cruise lines.

2 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

I would watch for posts about crew returning. That's about the best sure fire way. Since carnival hasnt announced any other departure ports like in the caribbean, most likely crew is being sent for usa porta.

Agree with above anything before nov 1st cso expiring is unlikely. And I have sept cruise and paid parking and nonrefundable hotel in Galveston lol. I was over optimistic last year. I now think I'm going to the beach in Galveston sans cruise this sept. Sad. ..cdc is unlikely to do anything. 

2 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

My guess? Vaccines for children. I think this will happen sooner than many think here in the USA. All adults may be vaccinated in a little as 30-45 days or so, I believe kids will be offered it by the end of summer, before/around the next school year.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2021 at 11:21 AM, ProgRockCruiser said:

IMHO, I don't think it will play out like that. 

I think the CDC (and the cruise lines) are waiting for sufficient vaccinations and the implied herd immunity, and feedback from the foreign ports, and will simply say something like "cruising can resume on <insert date>, vaccinations will be required for the time being because many/all foreign ports are requiring them".  No test cruises, 60 day mandate will be lifted, etc.  It just seems like the easiest way through it all.

The guess is herd immunity will take between 70-85% of the population. Polls say 30% of Americans don't want the vaccine. Also, 60M kids can't get it yet and they are part of the population too. It could be a long time for herd immunity, or never.

On the positive side, some of those who don't want the vaccine will have some immunity from having had Covid, and that will boost the percentage somewhat.

On 3/19/2021 at 5:47 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

People are not trusting a government organization that has done nothing but fail. I completely understand it. Imagine if they did shutdown all airlines and airports the way they did the cruise lines. What do you think would have happened? Imagine shutting down WalMart, Home Depot, Lowe's, and all schools? They are about to open schools fully here and the CDC has nothing to say? 

In all seriousness, if anyone of us performed this poorly in our professions, how many would still have a job? The answer is none of us. We would all be fired or let go. The CDC has failed miserably. I would say somewhere between 10-15% on a final exam that is 80% of their grade. 

I agree with you 100%.  Unfortunately, you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.  Lots of people on here are just brainwashed.  Like they seriously can’t read the numbers themselves or something.  No analytical ability, no context.  Our schools have been 100% open since last fall.  No issues.  No one takes the cdc seriously where we live.  They are a complete joke.  There is no reason why cruising shouldn’t be on.  

• Like 1