Aft facing cabins.

Reina del Mar

We have booked an aft facing cabin for a cruise on Sapphire Princess in 2023. Husband just thought would be interesting to try...always assuming we are allowed to cruise in the future.

Please share opinions on benefits of such a cabin.  

Many thanks.

It is personal choice, some people love them others wouldn't have one..

We loved them... be aware you can get a shimmie sometimes, it is not bad,  noise from the air vents.. had one couple complain bitterly about it, we have never been bothered by it..

Also you get a few bangs and thumps in rough weather.. so a bit more movement

drawers strangely open during the night...lol....

you can't get lost   go to the back of ship and you are home, nobody goes past your cabin...

But don't tell everybody.. they can be hard to get hold of...

Don

• Haha 1

People like them. You will feel the thrusters when it use, mostly when moving into and out of ports. There is a little bouncing compared to mid ship. On deck 8 you may hear some noise from Club Fusion and on deck 12 you may hear some noise from the Terrace Pool/Horizon Terrace.

• Thanks 1

It’s a love it or hate it relationship.  Most love them...we were so excited when we got an upgrade to the center aft cabin.   turned out we loved sail aways and the aft wake view, but didn’t like not being able to see where we were going.  You definitely have to try it and make up your own mind if it is for you...I’m glad we did so I know for future bookings.

• Haha 1

Though we haven't cruise Princess yet (crossing fingers for two in Jan 22), most other cruise lines we sailed we always try to book an aft suites. 

Like trvlwrld said, sailing out of port is great back there. Coming into port early in the morning I'm usually up trying to find some espresso. So I have a couple sitting in one of the empty bars bars with windows facing forward and watch us pull into port. Once we are tying up, that is my signal to get my wife a coffee and wake her up 🙂

Edited by AZjohn
  • Haha 1

I like the aft cabins. but I don't know why.  The white noise from the ship's wake is pretty neat.

I have not experienced the shimmy or vibration that others have reported.  It might be dependent on the ship.  So far, we have had aft cabins on the Ruby Princess and the Star Princess.  Now that I think of it, though, I have seen the vibration in SHARE which is located in the aft of the Ruby Princess on, I believe, Deck 16.  It is not uncommon to see utensils on the table shaking.  It was hilarious one evening watching an empty wine glass "walk" across the unused table next to us.  Twice I reached across to move the glass back to its original spot before it "walked" off the edge, 

I just thought of something that is very nice about aft facing cabins.  The balcony area is wind protected.  So, it is much easier to enjoy an elegant dinner or breakfast on your balcony while the ship is moving.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We absolutely love the aft. We did an Alaska in 09 on Princess with an aft corner cabin and our balcony was huge! The other thing we love about it is, you can sit out there and not get wind blown under way. You get a full 180 degree view of where you have been. We would have coffee out there every morning as we would pull into port. It was magical. Enjoy. 

• Like 1

We loved it. Another couple we sailed with on a different cruise had the aft corner balcony on Caribe Deck. We love that location but they absolutely hated it and said '"Never Again!"

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, XBGuy said:

I just thought of something that is very nice about aft facing cabins.  The balcony area is wind protected.  So, it is much easier to enjoy an elegant dinner or breakfast on your balcony while the ship is moving.

9 hours ago, HalfWhit said:

We absolutely love the aft. We did an Alaska in 09 on Princess with an aft corner cabin and our balcony was huge! The other thing we love about it is, you can sit out there and not get wind blown under way. You get a full 180 degree view of where you have been. We would have coffee out there every morning as we would pull into port. It was magical. Enjoy. 

This is it! Only in the foulest of weather is the balcony unusable plus it is so "private" back there you feel the ship is all yours. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've only had an aft cabin once (Vista suite on the Emerald -- surprise upgrade!).  It was a dream come true!  

I sat on the deep balcony during a thunder storm in Italy (in port) & never felt a drop of rain.  I had wonderful views as we left each port.  Great breakfast/lunch/reading site, esp. on sea days.

If there was more movement, I never knew it, but I Iove bumpy seas.  The last night, moving into the English Channel was extra bumpy.  I only know that because the empty coat hangers in the closet rattled so loudly that I had to get up & put them on the floor.

I'd love to book an aft balcony every time but my budget won't allow.

I love the idea of them and had one booked for Sept 2020 Baltic cruise that never happened.  Damn it was such a great deal too.

Id love to try one especially when travelling near land like Alaska or Med or Fjords.  

My husband told me to write “it sucks” so we have less competition when trying to get one.

We love them.  I like them because of the white noise from the wake you can’t hear anyone else around you and you don’t have to whisper so your conversations can’t be overheard or worry about disturbing others.  The colors from the wake are amazing.  When you walk into your cabin and look out you really feel like you are in your own world.

Other than that, they suck.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, AZ Ocean Lover said:

My husband told me to write “it sucks” so we have less competition when trying to get one.

We love them.  I like them because of the white noise from the wake you can’t hear anyone else around you and you don’t have to whisper so your conversations can’t be overheard or worry about disturbing others.  The colors from the wake are amazing.  When you walk into your cabin and look out you really feel like you are in your own world.

Other than that, they suck.

Yeah - too far from everything, wake noise all the time, vibrations when docking, etc etc ...  They Suck:

IMG_2629.thumb.JPG.457bc0d083c13d33cdae5b6cd56510d3.JPG