How are the Swans doing 2021

7 hours ago, dillpickle48 said:

The good old days of the two up school in Broken Hill. Special note for Les.  I remember when Henry K's wife had a pregnant craving for a Chiko roll at 2am and tne only place open was the greasy cafe at the two up.  He had to go down and get a Chiko roll.  Of course the police did not know about the illegal two up.

Classic, Henry should have had the frozen Chikos in his freezer, lol.

• Haha 1

Had to stop by and post--we are getting 3 AFL games this weekend!! Brisbane-Port,  Roos-Demons, and Eagles-Dockers. Not sure if I can stay awake for all but definitely can watch Roos-Demons. Alas, no Swans 😞

Go Swans!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Had to stop by and post--we are getting 3 AFL games this weekend!! Brisbane-Port,  Roos-Demons, and Eagles-Dockers. Not sure if I can stay awake for all but definitely can watch Roos-Demons. Alas, no Swans 😞

Go Swans!

It would be expected that the Dees v Roos game will be fairly one sided in the Dees favour. We are off to the G for the Bombers v Blues game. 

Leigh

As I read my emails this morning (I start from the bottom and work my way up, thus allowing the excitement to build. Will the Swans win or lose? 🙂 ), I felt like I was there watching. Hooray, we finally won a close one!

Go Swans!

Edited by NoWhiners
correction

6 hours ago, possum52 said:

It would be expected that the Dees v Roos game will be fairly one sided in the Dees favour. We are off to the G for the Bombers v Blues game. 

Leigh

I hope it stays close early. I may not last the whole game and if it's too one-sided, I will probably just go to sleep!

Pulling for the Bombers to win for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Close finish indeed, I had some internet issues, thanks for updating the scores

I was having internet problems, too. On my phone earlier. I was able to see the last little bit on tv.

Result could have been very different if the umpires paid the mark or a subsequent free kick to Geelong. Both within metres of the goal.

9 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I was having internet problems, too. On my phone earlier. I was able to see the last little bit on tv.

Result could have been very different if the umpires paid the mark or a subsequent free kick to Geelong. Both within metres of the goal.

I only saw the beginning of the game and didn't know the result until I read it online this morning and saw there were a couple of controversial umpiring decisions that went the Swans way. 

I'm off to watch elder grandson play later this morning and then he and I are heading to the G.

Leigh

• Like 1

I sit in the front row of the Victor Trumper Stand so had a birds eye view of that final 30secs. Was it 15m - borderline really but the radio commentators picked umpire Nichols who was right where the ball was kicked called 'touched' and the other umpire near the mark called 'not 15'. The audio on the TV doesn't really pick it as the noise was deafening. Nor does the vision of the actual kick. I bet a Swans official after the game got the measuring stick out and measured it. Whether Cameron could have kicked the goal is another matter as if the umpire lined him up on the boundary line the siren would have gone and Cameron would have not been able to run around and to improve his angle.

The potential holding the ball to Rowbottom in the last 3 seconds could have gone either way. Selwood clipped him high, Rowbottom went to ground head down and Selwood got Rowbottom on the ground with his knees clamped around his head. Who knows if the ump was getting ready to blow the whistle maybe he was maybe not.

The commentators do not call the game at the ground anymore they call it off the TV in the Melbourne studios. I checked all areas where the commentators usually sit with my binoculars and there were empty. This means they only have limited ability to call what is going on around what the camera is showing. During one of the games last weekend one of the commentators actually let slip he was calling of the TV in the studio hence why I checked last night. They still have a commentator at ground level but from where he sits he would have not seen or heard anything.

I see lots of people saying karma bus arrived for Geelong given they won the game against Brisbane in the dying seconds by an blatant missed tackle in front of Brisbane's goal which won them the game.

In saying that Geelong won all the stats but their kicking let them down. Kick straight you win games. Some of the misses were very getable. I did not think the Swans would win. Another 10 seconds of play regardless of missed free I suspect they would have.

Great game nevertheless.

With the holding the ball, I thought the ump was putting the whistle to his mouth to blow for Geelong, but the siren went.  Called time, too late.

Winning the stats is interesting, this is my favourite stats win (from 2018).

36BA63ED-7BE4-4716-A917-F513DA12EB31.thumb.jpeg.59f29461a72e9aac97a1a90dd736f4cd.jpeg

2 hours ago, Cruisegroover said:

I sit in the front row of the Victor Trumper Stand so had a birds eye view of that final 30secs. Was it 15m - borderline really but the radio commentators picked umpire Nichols who was right where the ball was kicked called 'touched' and the other umpire near the mark called 'not 15'. The audio on the TV doesn't really pick it as the noise was deafening. Nor does the vision of the actual kick. I bet a Swans official after the game got the measuring stick out and measured it. 

The potential holding the ball to Rowbottom in the last 3 seconds could have gone either way. Selwood clipped him high, Rowbottom went to ground head down and Selwood got Rowbottom on the ground with his knees clamped around his head. Who knows if the ump was getting ready to blow the whistle maybe he was maybe not.

I see lots of people saying karma bus arrived for Geelong given they won the game against Brisbane in the dying seconds by an blatant missed tackle in front of Brisbane's goal which won them the game.

Well there you go AFL released a statement Cameron should have been rewarded the mark.

The umpire not paying a free against Rowbottom was the correct decision.

No doubt some fans say karma bus arrived in Sydney from Brisbane. Footy is funny one week you are lucky the next no so lucky. Really who would want to be an umpire!!!! Even Chris Scott in his presser said we make mistakes, they make mistakes and the umpires make mistakes.

Half time in the North Melbourne v Melbourne ie last v first its 59 to 40 Norths way.

And over in Perth no crowds allowed for the West Coast Eagles v Fremantle game this afternoon. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

The Swans game sounds quite controversial. But I'm glad they won. Watched a bit of the Roos-Dees game but had to go to sleep.

Go Swans!

The AFL has admitted they got it wrong with the mark. You win some, you lose some. The umpires are only human, and can make mistakes.

"The League's head of umpiring Dan Richardson said upon review the ball had in fact travelled the required distance to be paid a mark.

"It was the view of the umpire at the time, in real time, that the ball had not travelled 15 metres," Richardson told reporters on Sunday.

"Upon video review this morning we have deemed the ball to have travelled the required distance, and should have been paid a mark." AFL

11 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

So, the way I interpreted this, the Cats should have had the ball and a chance to score at the last second??

Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out all the rules 🥴

Go Swans!

Yes, Cruisegroover summed it up perfectly.

"Whether Cameron could have kicked the goal is another matter as if the umpire lined him up on the boundary line the siren would have gone and Cameron would have not been able to run around and to improve his angle. "

• Like 1

My son came down here on Sunday re my birthday yesterday. He was at the Swans game on Saturday night in some big travel guru's corporate box with half a dozen other travel industry gurus.  Started drinking at 4pm in the city, then the game, food, drinks, then more drinks in the city, home at midnight. He said it was a good game, but then he likes AFL.