Travel Restrictions May Be Relaxed

Cruising89143

Biden and the CDC can relax restrictions all they want but, if Canada, Australia, etc. don't open their borders cruises to those locations (and to Alaska) are off the table.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Things are starting to look hopeful - here are the variables as I see them -

1.  Vaccinations - the studies are looking good and countries with the highest vaccination rates are seeing good results.  Iceland might open it’s doors to those that are vaccinated and it looks like others might follow.  I wouldn’t be surprised if more countries update travel restrictions soon to allow vaccinated visitors.

2.  Masks and social distancing - areas that have loosened these protocols are seeing increases in infections. So a negative.  I definitely wouldn’t visit anywhere that has loosened these protocols or go on a tour that did not enforce these protocols.

3.  Variants - although some vaccines are holding up well there is still too little data.  Combined with #2 this becomes a bigger problem.  Fortunately, the Pfizer vaccine seems to be holding up pretty good based on studies out of Israel.

4. Testing in and out.  This might drop out in favor of vaccinations.

5.  COVID diagnosis.  This isn’t looking good as a way to avoid getting a vaccine since the variants seem to cause reinfection.

There will be more data in the coming months once Britain and others allow cruising.  I’m hopeful my transatlantic cruise next March will be a go.  In the meantime I have a land trip to Costa Rica in 3 weeks - fully vaccinated, pre and post testing, small group of 12 and mask and social distancing protocols.  It will be interesting to see how things change between April and September when I do an Amazon River cruise in Peru.  Europe seems to take one step forward and two steps backward.  

As for cruising from the US?  Personally, I think the cruise industry might have tried to step on the wrong toes and could have been a little more thoughtful and diplomatic in their approach.  My sense is cruises could start again in the fall if protocols were based on successes elsewhere but could take until next March if they don’t take a more measured approach.

• Like 1

Good News Great News - Iceland borders open to vaccinated travelers!!!

Just been informed by Icelandair...

"...all travelers are welcome to Iceland with a valid certificate of full vaccination against COVID, or a certificate showing previous COVID infection. This includes travelers from non-Schengen countries, including USA and Canada.

Please note: Travel from Iceland to the rest of Europe is currently not permitted for non-Schengen residents."

https://www.landlaeknir.is/um-embaettid/greinar/grein/item44162/Certificate-of-vaccination-against-COVID-19-accepted-at-the-border

Great! Just need to have Canada waive return requirements. Then, it'll be zoom zoom again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

"The report said restrictions on travel with Mexico and Canada may be eased, as well as on travel from the UK, Europe and Brazil."

If Canada does not also ease restrictions on travel across boarders from the USA, it makes no difference what the USA does.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

Biden and the CDC can relax restrictions all they want but, if Canada, Australia, etc. don't open their borders cruises to those locations (and to Alaska) are off the table.

I am quite surprised that our Senators from Washington and Alaska ask President Biden to waive regulations and permit direct sailings to Alaska from Washington State.  

3 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

I am quite surprised that our Senators from Washington and Alaska ask President Biden to waive regulations and permit direct sailings to Alaska from Washington State.  

Why are you surprised?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

I'd be surprised too because they didn't do that. It's not the president's call until he has a bill on his desk to sign and that comes from the House and the Senate. What the Alaska delegation did is introduce bills that are currently being ignored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A baby step toward traveling.  Whenever cruising resumes, most early cruisers will have to be comfortable with changing itineraries.   Many will depend on which countries/islands open up their borders. 

22 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Now I'm really starting to doubt that we'll be able to sail on July 3rd.....ugh.

July 3rd?  We figured there wouldn't be any cruises at all this year. We're not at all sure our Oz cruises will happen in January 2022. Heck, we're not at all sure about our May 2022 Alaska cruise. If y9u do get your July cruise that will be fantastic news for a lot of people. Best of luck.

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

July 3rd?  We figured there wouldn't be any cruises at all this year. We're not at all sure our Oz cruises will happen in January 2022. Heck, we're not at all sure about our May 2022 Alaska cruise. If y9u do get your July cruise that will be fantastic news for a lot of people. Best of luck.

Although July 3rd seems iffy, I have zero doubt that our November Mexican Riviera cruise will sail.

Oz in January is an unknown to me as I haven't been following the situation down there, but I'm pretty sure that your May 2022 Alaska sailing will sail as planned. They should certainly have things straightened out long before then.

12 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Although July 3rd seems iffy, I have zero doubt that our November Mexican Riviera cruise will sail.

Oz in January is an unknown to me as I haven't been following the situation down there, but I'm pretty sure that your May 2022 Alaska sailing will sail as planned. They should certainly have things straightened out long before then.

It's much more likely now that Canada is vaccinating people. I've been unhappy that our Canadian friends haven't been able to get vaccinated. Only time will tell what will happen but I fear a new surge with things opening up so quickly. Maybe it won't happen. (I'm certainly tired of things being the way they have been for so long.)

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

It's much more likely now that Canada is vaccinating people. I've been unhappy that our Canadian friends haven't been able to get vaccinated. Only time will tell what will happen but I fear a new surge with things opening up so quickly. Maybe it won't happen. (I'm certainly tired of things being the way they have been for so long.)

Your Canadian friends are finally vaccinating (got our 1st shot today). We are promised 🤔 that all here in BC will be vaccinated by the end of September. Keep our 🤞.

Theo

21 minutes ago, Renmar said:

Your Canadian friends are finally vaccinating (got our 1st shot today). We are promised 🤔 that all here in BC will be vaccinated by the end of September. Keep our 🤞.

Theo

YES!!! Thanks for letting me know. I had thought Canada would be way ahead of the US on this. Chris is pretty happy as well. If you two are getting vaccinated I'm guessing our Abbotsford friends are as well. It's GREAT to hear you guys are getting "shot up with drugs". (I know a nice white wine is more your style but this is good news.) 😁 We really hope to cruise with you two (and them) in the future. We will gladly buy a bottle of wine for you two and grin like idiots while you drink it. (I will, of course, be drinking something else...) Take care of each other. You are both important.

On 3/18/2021 at 10:20 PM, Syracusefan44 said:

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/FMC-commissioner-urges-cruising-restart

The head of the Federal Maritime Commission (FMC) called on the U.S. government to allow a resumption of cruises with vaccinated passengers in a plan he dubbed "Cruise Forward."

Thanks for posting this. When I first read his statement, I thought it sounded like a trade group pitch. But it looks like the FMC is a federal regulatory agency. Having the Director of a federal agency arguing in favor of the cruise lines and everyone impacted financially would seem to be a step in the right direction. 

7 hours ago, Renmar said:

Theo

FWIW, here in Quebec, the 2nd most populous province, the provincial government is stating that anyone who wants a vaccination will have their first shot by June 24, though they have have extended the delay between shots to four months. They are currently doing 65 and older, and SWMBO and I, in our early 60s, hope to schedule our shots within a few weeks. I missed the latest round because I was born 4 months too late ;o)

Problem is, AFAIK, we still still can't leave the country without incurring a long post-return quarantine. Hopefully that is gone by the time we hopefully board the Majestic in SP in mid-October. Still, I think the end is in sight.

The European Commission recently proposed “Digital Green Certificates” showing that a person has been vaccinated, received a negative Covid-19 test result or recovered from infection. The certificates would facilitate movement within the EU countries.

Certificates -- Hi tech companies are designing a number of health apps to facility the movement of persons between countries similar to Digital Green Certificates including Travel Pass from the International Air Transport Association, Clear's Health Pass and CommonPass.  Some airlines are already testing health apps on select routes.

How will this collection of digital certifications work for persons cruising in North America?  If a certificate is required – will there be a need for a standard certificate?  Still to being determined. 

John

On 3/18/2021 at 7:14 PM, cruisingator2 said:

This coincides roughly with the expected cruising from Port Everglades starting around 1 July this year. I read that somewhere, but don't recall where. July is also the next day showing at Princess.com for a cruise to the Caribbean. I'm following Port Everglades because of our next cruise on the Caribbean Princess 12 Dec 2021. I'd like to see a couple of virus-free (or nearly free) cruises before I make my final payment in September 2021....regardless of the cruise line.

Doug

On 3/18/2021 at 10:56 PM, HappyInVan said:

Good News Great News - Iceland borders open to vaccinated travelers!!!

Just been informed by Icelandair...

"...all travelers are welcome to Iceland with a valid certificate of full vaccination against COVID, or a certificate showing previous COVID infection. This includes travelers from non-Schengen countries, including USA and Canada.

Please note: Travel from Iceland to the rest of Europe is currently not permitted for non-Schengen residents."

https://www.landlaeknir.is/um-embaettid/greinar/grein/item44162/Certificate-of-vaccination-against-COVID-19-accepted-at-the-border

Great! Just need to have Canada waive return requirements. Then, it'll be zoom zoom again.

Atta boy!!!😉

On 3/18/2021 at 9:20 PM, Syracusefan44 said:

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/FMC-commissioner-urges-cruising-restart

The head of the Federal Maritime Commission (FMC) called on the U.S. government to allow a resumption of cruises with vaccinated passengers in a plan he dubbed "Cruise Forward."

We shall see

• Like 1