Always Included Pricing Question

Italy52

Have cruised Celebrity before but not since the "Always Included" pricing was added.  Is it possible to book a cruise without the "Always Included" figures?  We are not drinkers and do not use the internet so can't see paying for something that we don't use.  If it is possible to book without the extras, how do I figure it out when making a booking--- do I have to consult Celebrity or my TA to do that?  Thanks in advance for your help.

The Always Included is the new normal.   Celebrity says that on select sailings, after final payment they will offer a Sail Only fare.  This replaces the old Exciting Deals.  
I have found that on some sailings large TAs have group rates that don’t included the AI but again not on every sailing.

• Thanks 1

This is a problem for us too as we hardly ever drink and I am sure this perk is by far the most expensive one and raises the price of the cruise the most; the others we are fine with.  Please just let me pick my perks and lower my price because of the ones I don't use.  

I feel like I would be paying for other people's drinks without enough benefit to me.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

This is a problem for us too as we hardly ever drink and I am sure this perk is by far the most expensive one and raises the price of the cruise the most; the others we are fine with.  Please just let me pick my perks and lower my price because of the ones I don't use.  

I feel like I would be paying for other people's drinks without enough benefit to me.  

I wish they had the option like Princess does.  I was looking at pricing for an Alaska 2022 cruise and it had the perk package thrown in the pricing (couldn't reject it) and then on top of that, I had to choose to pay more if I wanted to have my deposit refundable --- seems so nickle and dime to me.  Only because this itinerary has all the ports that we want am I considering it.

8 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

I wish they had the option like Princess does.  I was looking at pricing for an Alaska 2022 cruise and it had the perk package thrown in the pricing (couldn't reject it) and then on top of that, I had to choose to pay more if I wanted to have my deposit refundable --- seems so nickle and dime to me.  Only because this itinerary has all the ports that we want am I considering it.

To me AI is less nickel & dime.  Previously  here’s the price  and pick one perk         ( that was already built into the pricing) oh didn’t picking daily gratuity  add the cost of gratuities,  want internet? Add more,  want beverages? add more,  want a refundable deposit?  add more.

Many Premium and “luxury” cruise lines include drinks, gratuities and a refundable deposit; some also include internet.  People often say they like these cruise lines better because they feel like their is  no nickel & dime going on.  So I guess there is no perfect pricing model for everyone.  Pick the cruise line you like with a pricing model that works best for you.  For us it is AI because we always pay the gratuities, want a beverage package and want internet.  So the only question is the tge refundable deposit a reasonable cost vs the savings of a NRD.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, jelayne said:

To me AI is less nickel & dime.  Previously  here’s the price  and pick one perk         ( that was already built into the pricing) oh didn’t picking daily gratuity  add the cost of gratuities,  want internet? Add more,  want beverages? add more,  want a refundable deposit?  add more.

Many Premium and “luxury” cruise lines include drinks, gratuities and a refundable deposit; some also include internet.  People often say they like these cruise lines better because they feel like their is  no nickel & dime going on.  So I guess there is no perfect pricing model for everyone.  Pick the cruise line you like with a pricing model that works best for you.  For us it is AI because we always pay the gratuities, want a beverage package and want internet.  So the only question is the tge refundable deposit a reasonable cost vs the savings of a NRD.

I couldn't agree more!

• Like 2

I wish that there was a choice of either the Classic Beverage Package or OBC. However, I must admit that I like the ease of not having to sign a receipt for drinks ordered that the beverage package allows. And even though we do get Elite happy hour, I enjoy having the package for my morning coffee from Cafe al Bacio, a Virgin Mary or fresh-squeezed OJ with breakfast and an occasional beer at lunch time.

For non-drinkers, the OBC could go toward the specialty restaurants which would likely equate to the same profit margin for RCCL as the drinks perk.

• Like 1

I wish there was an option to choose between WiFi or OBC. I'd take the OBC every time. We stay disconnected while cruising and the 180 minutes of internet we already receive is way more than we use. Double that for B2B cruises.  Pre covid we always selected the CBP as one of our bundled perks. We have no issues with gratuities being added in with the AI. 

Edited by davekathy

And I assume there would be savings on X’s side in not doing charging of drink prices, running gratuity charges and so on that may - may - be passed on to the customer. Once cruising opens up, it will be very competitive between all the Lines so will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Did a cruise on an all-inclusive Line and the one thing I enjoyed was the service people coming up, knowing what I was drinking and just refilling my wine glass. Really neat. No watching the time spent on Wi-Fi; no checking to see what I’d spent already on drinks and gratuity charges. 

Realize that is not a positive for those that feel they are paying for something they aren’t using, but for the great majority, I think it works nicely. Heck, I think I spent almost as much on non-alcoholic drinks, especially the special coffees!, overall, so it’ll work for me. And I’m Elite Plus so I got a lot of those goodies already (at least a good part of them) and I’m not that bothered. Just me I guess.

Den 

• Like 5

With all the deferred demand there is no need in 2021 to offer anything else.  I usually book group space with my TA.  Deposit always refundable until final payment and included usually 2 perks.

Those of us that are Elite already had a happy hour as an Elite perk.  In the future we will select carefully.  Some longer RCL cruises and also look elsewhere.  Glad X will do cruises out of LA. . . but 4 day cruises to Ensenada and Catalina Island sounds like it will be more like the Carnival booze cruises.  The longer ones ok.

On 3/19/2021 at 9:34 PM, Italy52 said:

Have cruised Celebrity before but not since the "Always Included" pricing was added.  Is it possible to book a cruise without the "Always Included" figures?  We are not drinkers and do not use the internet so can't see paying for something that we don't use.  If it is possible to book without the extras, how do I figure it out when making a booking--- do I have to consult Celebrity or my TA to do that?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Like you, we are sc----- by the all inclusive.  We don't want perks and don't want the higher prices.  Also, it nullifies most of our Elite benefits.

We love Celebrity, but also cruise Royal C. and NCL depending on the itinerary, price and ship.

We may be moving more to Royal in the future.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

The AI drink package covers more than just alcoholic drinks....FYI

Yes, but we haven't had a diet coke in 15 years and don't drink coffee after breakfast.  If we can do Royal for half of Celebrity's price, we will do it easy.

• Like 1

I love reading these posts against AI.  We don't drink (except the free ones), no internet needed, I like to spend the day in the room watching free movies.  I want a really low price.  No business is looking for these customers as there is no profit

If you want that give HAL a look but even they are raising their prices no more $899 veranda pricing.  Quick before they offload more ships to the salvage yard 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

Yes, but we haven't had a diet coke in 15 years and don't drink coffee after breakfast.  If we can do Royal for half of Celebrity's price, we will do it easy.

I'm with you.  I researched Royal's itinerary yesterday and decided that we will be going with them.  I can get a balcony cabin for about the same price as I would pay for an inside with Celebrity.  We like Celebrity but not going to let them force me to take something I don't want or need.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 9:06 AM, PTC DAWG said:

I do realize that, but I don't need or buy 'other' drinks on a cruise either.  I guess if I took a cruise with a forced beverage package, I'd probably use it a little with some specialty coffees and pop, maybe even a drink or two, but never would I get my money's worth out of it.  I don't buy any of these things in my 'normal' life and don't really need or want them.

I should have the choice of either OBC instead or a reduced price.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 11:06 AM, PTC DAWG said:

A total waste of money when we choose to eat our calories .. not drink. Don't consume fake sugars either.. one coffee in the morning and tap water is good

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, tfred said:

I love reading these posts against AI.

Perhaps you missed this :

Let's say you are in an expensive restaurant with other folks and they order an expensive bottle of wine. When the bill comes you're " stuck " to pay for 1/2 the bottle. What's the conversation about on the way home in your car ?

What about restaurants that offer a buffet ? Don't they offer a menu option  as well ?  

Would you agree that the bulk of the AI pricing is based on liquor consumption ?

IMO--- The best part of the AI is that the Gratuities are included -- with absolutely no option to remove them at any time -- period.  It's unbelievable what " some " people are like when it comes to tipping !!

• Like 5

I did some random checking for group rates on Fall/Winter 2022/23 Caribbean.

I did find some group rates  without AI on select cabin categories on some sailings.  The rates  I found varied around  $16-24 pd pp lower than the AI rate.  
Once you add the daily gratuity there isn’t much of a savings.  Like all cruise pricing this could change anytime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

Let's say you are in an expensive restaurant with other folks and they order an expensive bottle of wine. When the bill comes you're " stuck " to pay for 1/2 the bottle. What's the conversation about on the way home in your car ?

What about restaurants that offer a buffet ? Don't they offer a menu option  as well ?  

Would you agree that the bulk of the AI pricing is based on liquor consumption ?

IMO--- The best part of the AI is that the Gratuities are included -- with absolutely no option to remove them at any time -- period.  It's unbelievable what " some " people are like when it comes to tipping !!

I didn't miss it

X has been moving towards a more exclusive pax for a while since the info of Concierge Class 10 or 15 years ago.  This has migrated to AQ and The Retreat and more space allocated to those categories with appropriate prices.  AI is the next step.  X has demographic in mind that they want to be on the ship.  

Non drinkers, free movie viewers, no internet, inside cabin is not the demo they are looking for and the low profit that goes with them. .  They think they can get many of the existing cruise crowd that does buy those things anyway.  The Retreat gets physically larger every builder a reason.  I have been on AI (Crystal) with other lines - I like it

What some on this thread have done is what they want you do - look at RCCL as the next logical option.  Those guys will never go AI

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

When the bill comes you're " stuck " to pay for 1/2 the bottle: easiest way to address this with these kind of people, tell your server to prepare separate bills.  My sister and her husband are extremely comfortable and VERY frugal.  Years ago when we just split the bill I caught on.  They grab the bill first and add up what each couple had and announce well our portion only came to $xx, yours is $xx because you had the surf n turf, your kid had 3 sodas...yada yada yada.  Caught on after a short time so now if/when we eat out with them, separate bills.  They also only tip 10% because they usually find a finger print on the water glass, or "dirty" silverware, they only do this so the can feel justified in being cheap on the tip.

The best part of the AI is that the Gratuities are included -- with absolutely no option to remove them at any time -- period.  It's unbelievable what " some " people are like when it comes to tipping !!  So so glad that this will take care of those people, they will still try though I bet.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

When the bill comes you're " stuck " to pay for 1/2 the bottle: easiest way to address this with these kind of people, tell your server to prepare separate bills.  My sister and her husband are extremely comfortable and VERY frugal.  Years ago when we just split the bill I caught on.  They grab the bill first and add up what each couple had and announce well our portion only came to $xx, yours is $xx because you had the surf n turf, your kid had 3 sodas...yada yada yada.  Caught on after a short time so now if/when we eat out with them, separate bills.  They also only tip 10% because they usually find a finger print on the water glass, or "dirty" silverware, they only do this so the can feel justified in being cheap on the tip.

The best part of the AI is that the Gratuities are included -- with absolutely no option to remove them at any time -- period.  It's unbelievable what " some " people are like when it comes to tipping !!  So so glad that this will take care of those people, they will still try though I bet.

These kind of people????? What about the kind of people who order extra just because the bill is being split and it saves them money???

I do not see any reason to have one bill and split it. We personally do not order apps or desserts and only have one drink and feel no need to pay for other people. We do tip well for our own orders. We also tip for extra service while cruising. We always give our room attendant cash for a lunch on shore on their day off.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruisestitch said:

Always Included fans must not be solo cruisers .  We have to pay double gratuities, double internet, double drinks packages.

we have always had to pay double for the cost of the room, but not the other things in the “bundle”. 

Solo cruiser AI fan here