Should the Covid vaccine be required?

Should the Covid vaccine be required?  

356 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the requirement to be vaccinated which will be valid already on the first Odyssey, Adventure and Celebrity Millennium cruises in May and June?

• Cruise lines should require everyone to be vaccinated
    • Cruise lines should accept a PCR test instead of the vaccine from people who can't get it
    • For this moment, only negative Covid tests should be required from all passengers

2 hours ago, dswallow said:

Like I said, it's a big ship, and the last thing I will be doing is being near rug rats on a cruise ship other than in passing. Doesn't mean I can't still have and express a considered opinion on the subject. Or for that matter, find someone in security to report misbehaving kids and their parents, when needed. 🙂

Do you put in the same effort for misbehaving adults?  I’ve seen more of them onboard than kids. 

M8

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Do you put in the same effort for misbehaving adults?  I’ve seen more of them onboard than kids. 

M8

Misbehaving adults are usually not a problem in general; they move on. Kids tend to turn a place into a disaster area, right in front of their parents, who do nothing about it. I've seen kids terrorize everyone sitting in the La Patisserie on Anthem, with their parents sitting right there. And they all left a disaster area of popcorn and napkins and cups and other debris all over the sofa, the table and the floor where they were. Missed actually getting someone to complain to for that one.

Another time there was two kids terrorizing Bolero's, again with their father sitting right near them. The kids were jumping up and down on the sofas and screaming. This was a nightclub, and it was around 12:30 or 1am, too. Had the bartender call security to get someone over to deal with them.

On Allure I was at the Aqua Theater for a show. A kids father parked the kid in a stroller over against the wall right at rows subject to getting splashed. Someone came out from behind the scenes and found him and told him he couldn't put the stroller there. So the guy actually rolled the stroller in front of me, and walked back to his seat. I told him that he needed to move it. He refused. We had a lot of words over it. He came over and made bodily threats. I left, went to the bar up near Johnny Rockets and had them call security. I had gotten a photo of the man and showed that to two security folks, and then from afar watched as guy was taken away with his kid. No idea if it went further, but the security folks were definitely unhappy he abandoned his kid in a stroller a dozen seats away from himself.

Another time, some mother brought their sleeping infant at 12:30am to Music Hall while a live band was playing, loud. Same deal, went to security to point them out. 

I guess, now that you make me list them, it looks more like the adults were misbehaving WITH their kids, huh? But yeah. I used to try to talk directly to the folks, but that almost never really works well. Always better to have ship security deal with people like that.

Edited by dswallow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Misbehaving adults are usually not a problem in general; they move on. Kids tend to turn a place into a disaster area, right in front of their parents, who do nothing about it. I've seen kids terrorize everyone sitting in the La Patisserie on Anthem, with their parents sitting right there. And they all left a disaster area of popcorn and napkins and cups and other debris all over the sofa, the table and the floor where they were. Missed actually getting someone to complain to for that one.

Another time there was two kids terrorizing Bolero's, again with their father sitting right near them. The kids were jumping up and down on the sofas and screaming. This was a nightclub, and it was around 12:30 or 1am, too. Had the bartender call security to get someone over to deal with them.

On Allure I was at the Aqua Theater for a show. A kids father parked the kid in a stroller over against the wall right at rows subject to getting splashed. Someone came out from behind the scenes and found him and told him he couldn't put the stroller there. So the guy actually rolled the stroller in front of me, and walked back to his seat. I told him that he needed to move it. He refused. We had a lot of words over it. He came over and made bodily threats. I left, went to the bar up near Johnny Rockets and had them call security. I had gotten a photo of the man and showed that to two security folks, and then from afar watched as guy was taken away with his kid. No idea if it went further, but the security folks were definitely unhappy he abandoned his kid in a stroller a dozen seats away from himself.

Another time, some mother brought their sleeping infant at 12:30am to Music Hall while a live band was playing, loud. Same deal, went to security to point them out. 

I guess, now that you make me list them, it looks more like the adults were misbehaving WITH their kids, huh? But yeah. I used to try to talk directly to the folks, but that almost never really works well. Always better to have ship security deal with people like that.

Wow. You have quite a detailed list. What you think would’ve happened if you just ignored them. I can honestly say I’ve not seen any kids behave in that manner but I wasn’t looking for it either. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Wow. You have quite a detailed list. What you think would’ve happened if you just ignored them. I can honestly say I’ve not seen any kids behave in that manner but I wasn’t looking for it either. 

Memorable events. 🙂

I am sure there have been innumerable other incidents I've noticed and not really done much if anything about. But these incidents were just well above and beyond annoying or even dangerous. 

Oh there have been a couple times I've reported groups of kids running into elevators, pressing all the buttons, and running out. The cool thing is when the security folks happen to let you know later they reviewed video, found the kids doing it, tracked them back to their cabin, and informed the parents.

These places are NOT the kids living rooms. We have to share the space. And just because someone may not feel comfortable speaking up or even reporting an issue doesn't mean they aren't bothered or annoyed by it, either. I'm quite comfortable being the guy who takes the time to do so, where it becomes clearly necessary to do so. It's the egregiously bad behavior that's the problem.

You're reminding me of more... It was on Harmony, at the Park Cafe. I was in line behind a father and his son. The kid was picking his nose, wiping his face, and then reached over into the freestanding fruit display and picked up each and every piece of fruit in his reach, looked at it, and put it back. Ignored the tongs, Kept wiping his nose and his face. I just raised my voice enough to be heard by the guys behind the counter and told them this kid just touched every piece of fruit while he was picking his nose with his bare hands. They came and cleared all the fruit out. But I sure hope that father learned something, or was at least embarrassed to maybe possibly care enough to stop his own kid from doing crap like that.

Another time on Anthem, well, many times, kids walk around the buffet grabbing stuff with their hands, often eating it from the plate while still moving around the buffet, picking up more food, with their hands. And then I saw an adult do that once. Mentioned it, of course, directly to the adult. But had to point out what happened with the kid to people staffing the buffet.

Another time in the buffet, I was seated near one of the serving stations and noticed this shorter-than-normal women with her entire head and upper body under the sneeze shield reaching for something in the back. She had long hair. The hair dragged through everything in front at the buffet. I walked over after she left and pointed to the food and beverage manager the long hairs now stuck through the bin of cream cheese. (Always hated when they switched from the plastic cream cheese portions to the big bin of it for that exact reason.) A couple cruises later they were at least dishing out measured portions into little plastic cups. Which in the end is stupid, as they should've just gone back to the sealed portioned containers.

But yeah, I report these things. I mean, it boggles my mind someone, especially an adult, can be so obtuse as to behave this way at all, but it's my safety at risk as well, with people behaving like this.

• Like 4

I actually hadn’t decided if I would get the vaccine.  Although I always knew I would get it, if required to cruise!  But earlier this month I went to an all inclusive resort in Cancun.  It was the first time I’d traveled in a year.  After seeing how much extra work it was for the airport personnel, flight attendants, drivers, resort personnel etc to keep us safe, I decided I needed to do my part to end this pandemic.  I had an opportunity to get my first shot 2 days after we got back to the states and I took it!  And this week I booked a cruise out of Nassau on Adventure!  If we have to wear masks, I can deal with that.  We had to wear them in the lobby of the resort, and it was no big deal.  Everyone just did what they needed to do. 

Edited by JsMom2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, dswallow said:

Memorable events. 🙂

I am sure there have been innumerable other incidents I've noticed and not really done much if anything about. But these incidents were just well above and beyond annoying or even dangerous. 

Oh there have been a couple times I've reported groups of kids running into elevators, pressing all the buttons, and running out. The cool thing is when the security folks happen to let you know later they reviewed video, found the kids doing it, tracked them back to their cabin, and informed the parents.

These places are NOT the kids living rooms. We have to share the space. And just because someone may not feel comfortable speaking up or even reporting an issue doesn't mean they aren't bothered or annoyed by it, either. I'm quite comfortable being the guy who takes the time to do so, where it becomes clearly necessary to do so. It's the egregiously bad behavior that's the problem.

You're reminding me of more... It was on Harmony, at the Park Cafe. I was in line behind a father and his son. The kid was picking his nose, wiping his face, and then reached over into the freestanding fruit display and picked up each and every piece of fruit in his reach, looked at it, and put it back. Ignored the tongs, Kept wiping his nose and his face. I just raised my voice enough to be heard by the guys behind the counter and told them this kid just touched every piece of fruit while he was picking his nose with his bare hands. They came and cleared all the fruit out. But I sure hope that father learned something, or was at least embarrassed to maybe possibly care enough to stop his own kid from doing crap like that.

Another time on Anthem, well, many times, kids walk around the buffet grabbing stuff with their hands, often eating it from the plate while still moving around the buffet, picking up more food, with their hands. And then I saw an adult do that once. Mentioned it, of course, directly to the adult. But had to point out what happened with the kid to people staffing the buffet.

Another time in the buffet, I was seated near one of the serving stations and noticed this shorter-than-normal women with her entire head and upper body under the sneeze shield reaching for something in the back. She had long hair. The hair dragged through everything in front at the buffet. I walked over after she left and pointed to the food and beverage manager the long hairs now stuck through the bin of cream cheese. (Always hated when they switched from the plastic cream cheese portions to the big bin of it for that exact reason.) A couple cruises later they were at least dishing out measured portions into little plastic cups. Which in the end is stupid, as they should've just gone back to the sealed portioned containers.

But yeah, I report these things. I mean, it boggles my mind someone, especially an adult, can be so obtuse as to behave this way at all, but it's my safety at risk as well, with people behaving like this.

You must be exhausted after your cruises.....all the Policing and tattletaling and all. I myself find it much easier to just mind my own business and move on.......we're all different though. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

You must be exhausted after your cruises.....all the Policing and tattletaling and all. I myself find it much easier to just mind my own business and move on.......we're all different though. 

Not to mention climbing up all those high horses....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, JsMom2 said:

I actually hadn’t decided if I would get the vaccine.  Although I always knew I would get it, if required to cruise!  But earlier this month I went to an all inclusive resort in Cancun.  It was the first time I’d traveled in a year.  After seeing how much extra work it was for the airport personnel, flight attendants, drivers, resort personnel etc to keep us safe, I decided I needed to do my part to end this pandemic.  I had an opportunity to get my first shot 2 days after we got back to the states and I took it!  And this week I booked a cruise out of Nassau on Adventure!  If we have to wear masks, I can deal with that.  We had to wear them in the lobby of the resort, and it was no big deal.  Everyone just did what they needed to do. 

Thank you for being part of the solution.

• Like 5

On 3/21/2021 at 10:40 AM, Milwaukee Eight said:

How’s that. You have a choice. Nobody is forcing anyone here in the US to get the vaccine. 

M8

What code is violated by dying a horrible death ?

• Haha 2

Great discussion but ultimately this the cruise ships decision on what it thinks will get the most passengers cruising again

Choices are

a) don’t have a mandatory vaccine policy to not piss off the anti vaxers

b) have a mandatory vaccine policy and satisfy the likely majority of cruisers that have reluctance to cruise for fear of being amongst potentially affected passengers

I think the obvious choice is b) to get the largest number of cruisers back on ships again

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth
  • Like 5

On 3/21/2021 at 7:11 AM, ace2542 said:

Yes they should insist on full vaccination if vaccination is available making exemptions for groups for whom it is not but all should take it when it comes or not be able to cruise. 

And mask wearing forever onboard with one warning only and then a life ban from every cruise line and they should share their mask ban list. They should also ban for life and refuse to refund any person who turns up with Covid symptoms and attempts to board the ship.

But the on the other side of that coin. Do they really have that authority to do all or any of that? Or can Governor DeSantos for instance stop them from insisting upon masks, vaccine etc  in the ports of Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Tampa. Or could he stop them from operating in or out of Florida if they do? That is an interesting question.

I guess DeSantos can insist that masks are worn on land.  As foreign flagged vessels, DeSantos has no control over what happens once they leave the dock.  But then again, I don't think Florida was requiring masks.  And since DeSantos has his arms open to all that want to come to Florida without wearing a mask I doubt there will be anything in place.  

It's already a requirement for other cruise lines (and I think I read on the RC or the Celebrity blog that they're already requiring everyone 18 and up to get the vaccine who medically can).  The industry can't afford another outbreak like they had at the beginning of the pandemic.  As someone pointed out earlier, this is not about discrimination....this is about people's lives and safety.

• Like 5

On 3/21/2021 at 6:17 AM, WorldTraveler151208 said:

Do you think it's fair that the RCCL and Celebrity Cruises already require the Covid-19 vaccine for the Odyssey, Adventure, and Millennium cruises, given that currently in most countries younger people don't have the chance to get vaccinated even if they want?  For example in many European Union countries  and Canada, the vaccination process is very slow.  Most people will probably not be able to get vaccinated in the coming months, and Odyssey of the seas sailing in Israel and Greece since May will accept only fully vaccinated guests. Isn't that a kind of discrimination?

I think that all ships should require vaccinations of all passengers and crew unless someone has a verifiable medical condition that would preclude someone from getting the vaccine. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stroma said:

I think that all ships should require vaccinations of all passengers and crew unless someone has a verifiable medical condition that would preclude someone from getting the vaccine. 

Maybe those with conditions precluding vaccinations would be better off delaying their return to cruising.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 3/21/2021 at 10:01 AM, Milwaukee Eight said:

Their ship, their rules. Simple 

Want to cruise, get vaccinated. Your choice. 

M8

100% agree.    This isn't really about the rights of people who are willing to risk contracting covid19 - it's about the industry many of us love demonstrating they can keep passengers safe.  No amount of covid19 liability waivers (which I'm sure we'll have to sign) will fill cabins if outbreaks aren't controlled. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, DSJ28 said:

100% agree.    This isn't really about the rights of people who are willing to risk contracting covid19 - it's about the industry many of us love demonstrating they can keep passengers safe.  No amount of covid19 liability waivers (which I'm sure we'll have to sign) will fill cabins if outbreaks aren't controlled. 

I'm honestly not sure why this is so difficult for people to accept.  Why can't everyone simply say what ever it takes for cruising to start back up - we are on board?

If that means that I or anyone else has to pass for the start then shouldn't we be willing to go along with it if that means cruises can resume?

But unfortunately so many who post here want cruises to resume as long as they or their children are included or aren't willing to abide by the protools.

I think crises could start tomorrow, (not literally), if the rule was everyone, regardless of age, along with all crew members had to be vaccinated in order to be on a ship.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Stroma said:

If the cruise line policy is all will be required to be vaccinated then that's the way it needs to be. No exceptions. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 3

IMHO I believe the Cruise lines should make Covid-19 vaccinations mandatory for everyone aboard,  that’s crew and passengers.  I believe it would make everyone safer, and allow the Ports visited to know the ships wasn’t carrying, or bringing Covid to their cities.

A few days ago when RCCL released a statement about vaccines being required on this Summer’s sailings, it caused a big brouhaha amongst the antivaxxers.  

personally,  I would feel much safer knowing everyone we came across aboard was vaccinated.  It’s the only way to guarantee passenger safety,  

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Koren55 said:

IMHO I believe the Cruise lines should make Covid-19 vaccinations mandatory for everyone aboard,  that’s crew and passengers.  I believe it would make everyone safer, and allow the Ports visited to know the ships wasn’t carrying, or bringing Covid to their cities.

A few days ago when RCCL released a statement about vaccines being required on this Summer’s sailings, it caused a big brouhaha amongst the antivaxxers.  

personally,  I would feel much safer knowing everyone we came across aboard was vaccinated.  It’s the only way to guarantee passenger safety,  

Well too bad for the adults - anti-vaxxers or anyone who won't take the shot(s) for whatever reason. Cruising needs to start back up from US ports and it's time for the cruise lines to step up to the plate and do what is necessary to achieve that goal.

I think kids under 16 are the biggest source of concern - whether it's people who think they don't pose a threat or those who think they do but what really matters will be the court of public opinion and it will only take a few outbreaks and the American press will be all over it and cruising will be toast for a long time.

Why not be willing to comply with a vaccination required rule for everyone to get things rolling?

• Like 9