Should the Covid vaccine be required?

Should the Covid vaccine be required?  

356 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the requirement to be vaccinated which will be valid already on the first Odyssey, Adventure and Celebrity Millennium cruises in May and June?

• Cruise lines should require everyone to be vaccinated
    • Cruise lines should accept a PCR test instead of the vaccine from people who can't get it
    • For this moment, only negative Covid tests should be required from all passengers

2 minutes ago, sunonfire said:

Royal’s details with questions answered.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center

This is important, glad to read this: 

You’re taken care of

Book by May 31, 2021 and your cruise fare includes the following at no extra cost.

COVID-19 Protections

• 100% refund for you and your immediate travel party if any of you tests positive within 14 days weeks prior to the cruise, or at the boarding terminal

• 100% refund for you, your travel party, and any confirmed close contacts if any of you tests positive during your cruise

• In the event of COVID-19-related expenses, Royal Caribbean will cover onboard medical treatment, cost of any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you, your travel party, and any confirmed close contacts

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Vaccines aren't likely to be approved for young children until late this year and possibly until 2022.  

It's extremely unlikely cruise lines will require vaccinations for children too young to even receive them.

When the vaccines are approved and deemed safe for children, we'll see.  My guess is it still won't be required by cruise lines for children, but they'll obviously make that decision based on the current state of affairs at the time.

I don't care. I said all ages. I wasn't singling out kids. There's still some people that are eligible for the vaccine that refuse to get the vaccine. I'll wait for the cruise lines to publish their policies not a WAG. Until then, my Magic 8 Ball is more accurate than a WAG (IMO). 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Everyone has to test negative within 72 hours to fly/enter the bahamas and st maarten.  

I was talking about the survey options. Either or. Did you read the survey?

I know what is required on bahamas. The survey was about the may and june rcl cruises.

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

The vaccines have stopped 100% of hospitalizations and death.  The 95% number is for symptoms, not death

The claim when the UK set out vaccination operations was that 99% of hospital admissions and deaths in UK would be prevented by the vaccination of the top 4 at risk groups. Age groups of 60 plus  and upwards age range and those with serious underlying conditions. Once those vaccinations are done 99% reduction and it seems to have come to pass or being close to coming to pass.

Edited by ace2542

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

In other words, if everyone on a cruise ship was vaccinated, then there is absolutely no reason they can't enjoy an entirely normal experience.  No masks, no distancing, etc.  Just... Normal

The vaccines don't work 100% though. And there is also the problem that people might sue if they get Covid on a cruise ship as I have mentioned before. Masks forever are the only way to defend against that imho.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Apparently I am completely out of patience with the concept of “not fair” that not everyone will be able to participate in the first return to cruising.  Life isn’t always fair!

No it isn't.  It wasn't fair that China unleashed this virus on the world and that I had to live my life the way I did for the past year.  I basically lost a year of living normally and spending time with the people I care about.  I retired the middle of March, just as all of this crap hit the fan so it isn't fair that the first year of my retirement was a bust.

I want travel and especially cruising to start back up and I think everyone who wants that to happen should be supporting whatever protocols allows that to take place - hopefully sooner than later.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

The vaccines don't work 100% though. And there is also the problem that people might sue if they get Covid on a cruise ship as I have mentioned before. Masks forever are the only way to defend against that imho.

You don't understand how vaccines work in a 100% vaccinated cohort. @BNBR is correct; in this environment there is zero need for masking or distancing.

Let go of the masks forever fantasy.

Cruise ship contract will handle the silly lawsuit argument you keep trying to make.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You don't understand how vaccines work in a 100% vaccinated cohort. @BNBR is correct; in this environment there is zero need for masking or distancing.

Let go of the masks forever fantasy.

Cruise ship contract will handle the silly lawsuit argument you keep trying to make.

Would these be the silly arguments they make when the ambulance chasers claim for you for "sickness" in Egypt all inclusive resorts or elsewhere for that matter? 

And how they get claim doc is they make the argument you got your sickness from resting your arms on the side of the pool and then touching your face and the bacteria came from sweaty feet of people and pool cleaning hygiene was poor I suppose?.

Don't you think if they could get a holiday contract that stopped that they would do?.

Edited by ace2542
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

But the on the other side of that coin. Do they really have that authority to do all or any of that? Or can Governor DeSantos for instance stop them from insisting upon masks, vaccine etc  in the ports of Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Tampa. Or could he stop them from operating in or out of Florida if they do? That is an interesting question.

A resounding NO. As mentioned and discussed in a previous thread, Governor DeSantis does not have the authority to mandate what businesses (local or foreign) can and can not do.  

• Like 3

Just now, livingonthebeach said:

A resounding NO. As mentioned and discussed in a previous thread, Governor DeSantis does not have the authority to mandate what businesses (local or foreign) can and can not do.  

I bet he thinks he does though. I am sure lawsuits and court battles will follow. Be fun to watch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, WorldTraveler151208 said:

Do you think it's fair that the RCCL and Celebrity Cruises already require the Covid-19 vaccine for the Odyssey, Adventure, and Millennium cruises, given that currently in most countries younger people don't have the chance to get vaccinated even if they want?  For example in many European Union countries  and Canada, the vaccination process is very slow.  Most people will probably not be able to get vaccinated in the coming months, and Odyssey of the seas sailing in Israel and Greece since May will accept only fully vaccinated guests. Isn't that a kind of discrimination?

Yes. I think it's fair.  Discrimination? No. 

Our President of these United States has told us that every American that wants a vaccine will have one available for them by June. So plan now to get one. Further, every business has the inherit right to require certain procedures and policies to be instilled in their place of business. For example, Texas no longer has a government mandated mask requirement but Home Depot does. As does Chase bank. Is this fair? Yes. One must chose to either abide by their rules or don't shop there. The same with Chase bank. Or you can be arrested for trespassing if you're asked to leave. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Yes. I think it's fair.  Discrimination? No. 

Our President of these United States has told us that every American that wants a vaccine will have one available for them by June. So plan now to get one. Further, every business has the inherit right to require certain procedures and policies to be instilled in their place of business. For example, Texas no longer has a government mandated mask requirement but Home Depot does. As does Chase bank. Is this fair? Yes. One must chose to either abide by their rules or don't shop there. The same with Chase bank. Or you can be arrested for trespassing if you're asked to leave. 

I agree. No different than “NO shoes, NO shirt, NO service”

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Vaccines aren't likely to be approved for young children until late this year and possibly until 2022.  

It's extremely unlikely cruise lines will require vaccinations for children too young to even receive them.

When the vaccines are approved and deemed safe for children, we'll see.  My guess is it still won't be required by cruise lines for children, but they'll obviously make that decision based on the current state of affairs at the time.

I think that for a vaccine labeled for young children to get EUA, they have to show the risk to children of getting Covid and having negative outcomes is greater than the risk of the side effects and outcomes from vaccine. It is going to be interesting to watch this play out in FDA evaluation. Pediatricians were very concerned in the analysis of Pfizer down to 16. I look forward to hearing the debate for younger children. I have 3 under 8 and will be very cautious in this decision. I’m vaccinated and took my shots the second it was available to me. I’m a scientist. But I’ve got to really weigh the risks and benefits here. And if that means my kids don’t cruise... well then I hope grandparents are available so my husband and I can get a minute away 🙂

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Isn't DeSantis however you spell his name saying he won't allow Royal - so other lines by by extension of that - to insist upon all this no vaccine no sail whatever they want to do in his state. Wasn't that previously discussed with some people on here saying they don't think he has the authority to do it? How will that work out do you reckon?.

I'm beginning to think I'm the only one who noticed this survey was about the may cruises out of israel and the june cruises out of the caribbean. Maybe you are posting on the wrong thread. 

Quit hijacking the thread.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Wait, IIRC, you stated on another thread that you would never, ever go back on a ship again.  Then why do you care if masks on ships are required or not (for life) and what lawsuits are filed against the cruise lines?  For that matter, why concern yourself with anything that happens on a ship?  As the saying goes...What happens on the ship, stays on the ship. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, mek said:

No it isn't.  It wasn't fair that China unleashed this virus on the world and that I had to live my life the way I did for the past year.  I basically lost a year of living normally and spending time with the people I care about.  I retired the middle of March, just as all of this crap hit the fan so it isn't fair that the first year of my retirement was a bust.

I want travel and especially cruising to start back up and I think everyone who wants that to happen should be supporting whatever protocols allows that to take place - hopefully sooner than later.

Retiring Mid-March last year - what a bummer for you. You are right, it isn't fair. 

• Like 1