Cruise lines requiring COVID-19 vaccination

Some jobs where staff are in close contact with people may require vaccinations. Health care workers obviously, and I believe they have already been vaccinated. Aged care staff, teachers, possibly restaurant and bar staff, Centrelink workers, hotel staff, flight attendants, etc, etc. 

It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

29 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree that it should not be compulsory to get a jab, however, I believe it is essential that vaccination should be required before people (pax and crew) board a cruise ship.

Or a plane, or a train, or a bus, or a taxi, or a shop, or a theatre, or .....

45 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Some jobs where staff are in close contact with people may require vaccinations. Health care workers obviously, and I believe they have already been vaccinated. Aged care staff, teachers, possibly restaurant and bar staff, Centrelink workers, hotel staff, flight attendants, etc, etc. 

I hear that Aged Care facilities cannot force their workers to have the jab, the unions are getting involved. Have to follow that one up.  Likewise many other industries.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I don't think it should be mandatory/compulsory to get a jab, no one should be forced. However, I do think that if you want to mix with the public, do anything socially or go anywhere (but your bedroom), you have to have had one. The only Caveat to this is if you have a medical exemption.

It will never be made compulsory here Mic, there are quite a few anti vaxxers around, whether or not those people will be retained by their employers is another thing.

25 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I hear that Aged Care facilities cannot force their workers to have the jab, the unions are getting involved. Have to follow that one up.  Likewise many other industries.

Yikes! That's one place it should be mandatory. 😮 Then again, with some of the horror stories coming out of aged care homes there probably aren't enough staff in some of  those places to make it necessary.🙄

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Of course they could offer an alternative - those people who refuse to be vaccinated must wear full PPE (at their cost?) all the time they are at work and be required to have regular (daily?) Covid tests.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Of course they could offer an alternative - those people who refuse to be vaccinated must wear full PPE (at their cost?) all the time they are at work and be required to have regular (daily?) Covid tests.

Or told not to show up for work on safety grounds.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Or told not to show up for work on safety grounds.

And no work, no pay of course. But the unions have already started pushing back against that. I guess they consider worker's jobs and personal rights are more important than the health of aged people.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

WA's Health Minister Roger Cook says hotel quarantine workers who refuse to be vaccinated will likely be removed from their roles.

ABC.

And so they should be, however the article went on to say they should be deployed elsewhere by the company they work for. 

15 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

. So maybe they should move to Russia😜

That - or maybe they just went for "in Soviet Russia" meme.

It does get pretty ridiculous, though - all of my Russian friends who wanted to get vaccinated did it back in January. The vast majority, though (all educated, smart, successful people) claimed they were "on the fence", pending official publication on efficacy in a reputable peer-reviewed journal. Well, publication in Lancet came and went, and they are still on the same fence. The vaccine has been readily available across all age groups for months now. All your have to do is open a stupid app on your phone for a same-day or, at the worst, next-day appointment. These same people do bi-weekly PCR and antibody tests just for the fun of it. Blows my mind.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The roll out to areas of healthcare workers has been somewhat patchy. Many docs, nurses, etc., especially in outer and rural areas have yet to get the jab. One doc in the news was speaking about doing Covid tests, but not vaccination available.

interestingly(!!!) paramedics were not 1a.

13 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

The roll out to areas of healthcare workers has been somewhat patchy. Many docs, nurses, etc., especially in outer and rural areas have yet to get the jab. One doc in the news was speaking about doing Covid tests, but not vaccination available.

interestingly(!!!) paramedics were not 1a.

The early rollout seems to have been very hit and miss. Hopefully it will improve now the Australian production is in full swing.

Yes, very strange that paramedics weren't 1a.

Without big noting, I am the  accredited WHS.. work health and safety rep at Eurobodalla Meals on Wheels Cooperative, also Director on board and a worker. We have 6 paid staff and 80 volunteers, mostly retirees @ Batemans Bay, Moruya, Tuross and Narooma. I am pushing manager and board for all workers paid and vollie to be vaccinated. We will see how we go.

We do other things beside frozen meal delivery like out and about..taking clients out for drives, lunches etc in our two busses., social support, taking clients to drs, shopping etc. I feel covid jabs are essential to protect. the workers and clients. Keeps me out of trouble three mornings a week, helping others less fortunate than myself.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Without big noting, I am the  accredited WHS.. work health and safety rep at Eurobodalla Meals on Wheels Cooperative, also Director on board and a worker. We have 6 paid staff and 80 volunteers, mostly retirees @ Batemans Bay, Moruya, Tuross and Narooma. I am pushing manager and board for all workers paid and vollie to be vaccinated. We will see how we go.

We do other things beside frozen meal delivery like out and about..taking clients out for drives, lunches etc in our two busses., social support, taking clients to drs, shopping etc. I feel covid jabs are essential to protect. the workers and clients. Keeps me out of trouble three mornings a week, helping others less fortunate than myself.

I agree.

You and your Meals on Wheels Cooperative provide an invaluable service to your community.  Well done!!

• Like 3

On 3/25/2021 at 6:39 PM, windsor26 said:

Getting our jabs tomorrow morning so we can have had both before our next cruise in August 

Hi again, I just had my August cruise cancelled with Carnival so now booked September.

Clive and I had our vaccinations last week thankfully. 

We decided I need to keep booking cruises to have something to look forward too. Everything has gone ok and I am slowly getting better. Hopefully we will run into each other on another cruise. We have Hawaii booked for April next year.

10 minutes ago, kate59 said:

Hi again, I just had my August cruise cancelled with Carnival so now booked September.

Clive and I had our vaccinations last week thankfully. 

We decided I need to keep booking cruises to have something to look forward too. Everything has gone ok and I am slowly getting better. Hopefully we will run into each other on another cruise. We have Hawaii booked for April next year.

My June P&O was cancelled so I booked the same ship and itinerary for August  Got e mail yesterday saying lots of their August cruises have been cancelled BUT mine is still - at this moment - going ahead BUT the itinerary may be changed   Do we want to cancel for refund (no extras offered)   I am waiting to see where we will go  Glad to hear your good news   Hope to catch up sometime  Yvonne

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

My June P&O was cancelled so I booked the same ship and itinerary for August  Got e mail yesterday saying lots of their August cruises have been cancelled BUT mine is still - at this moment - going ahead BUT the itinerary may be changed   Do we want to cancel for refund (no extras offered)   I am waiting to see where we will go  Glad to hear your good news   Hope to catch up sometime  Yvonne

We booked Carnival Splendor for my birthday - so when cancelled, I just rebooked same cruise for the following month. Carnival's offer was too good to not rebook. I still have heaps of credit with Princess but hope to use it next year.

44 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My friends had bookings with their local dr to have covid vaccines this week.  Due to lockdown, she phoned up to check and was told they will phone her when vaccines are available.  

I belong to a group of folk who are on my retirement visa and I have found that a;ll those in Queensland ahave had problems getting the jab but those in 

Just now, windsor26 said:

I belong to a group of folk who are on my retirement visa and I have found that a;ll those in Queensland have had problems getting the jab but those in NSW have had no problems 

There are supply problems in NSW, still only 80 doses a week arriving down here at the only vacc point for 20,000 people, half of whom are retirees. A shambles.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

There are supply problems in NSW, still only 80 doses a week arriving down here at the only vacc point for 20,000 people, half of whom are retirees. A shambles.

That's not good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

NSW Premier was spot on re need for certainty of supply!  Both governments need born organisers, not normally strengths of the medical profession.