Cruise lines requiring COVID-19 vaccination

I am fine with the odds of having my Astra Zeneca first shot 10 days ago as against catching Covid19 and perhaps ending up in an ICU.   I would also like to be on a cruise ship in Australian waters when they return.   Not interested in overseas travel.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, NSWP said:

And find the money, as originally the Pfizer was more expensive than the AstraZeneca.

So us oldies have to bat on with the AstraZenaca, they don't want to waste the good stuff on us, we are expendable.

Waiting for my flu jab yesterday there were half a dozen other oldies in the waiting room, got talking about covid jab, tell you what half of them said they would decline it, too dangerous and they were not travelling anyway, likewise in my street, 90% retirees, not much interest in getting the covid jabs, citing too dangerous with all them blood clots, one cannnot convince fools. I will accept my jab when they call me up, one day, one month, one year.😬

If that is the case, roll out is almost finished in your area already.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

If that is the case, roll out is almost finished in your area already.

Probably 80 doses a week for the Eurobodalla is adequate if many of the oldies are knocking it back. 

Edited by NSWP

This article puts the AstraZenica risk into perspective. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-08/covid19-vaccine-blood-clotting-az-explainer/100055638

IMHO the government has been highly irresponsible in the manner it has handled this situation. It has created an atmosphere of fear in the community and given yet another weapon to the anti-vaxxers.

There is more risk in everyday life than in having the AZ vaccine e.g. healthy women who take birth control pills have a much higher chance of developing blood clots than someone who has the AZ vaccine.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There is more risk in everyday life than in having the AZ vaccine e.g. healthy women who take birth control pills have a much higher chance of developing blood clots than someone who has the AZ vaccine.

Taking a long-haul flight also causes more risk of blood clots than the AZ vaccine.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

This article puts the AstraZenica risk into perspective. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-08/covid19-vaccine-blood-clotting-az-explainer/100055638

IMHO the government has been highly irresponsible in the manner it has handled this situation. It has created an atmosphere of fear in the community and given yet another weapon to the anti-vaxxers.

I think the Federal Government has not been up front re countries overseas pausing the AZ vaccine because of concerns re blood clots.  You don't have to be an anti-vaxxer to be concerned.  Only when we had a case in Aust, did the matter get mentioned.  

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I think the Federal Government has not been up front re countries overseas pausing the AZ vaccine because of concerns re blood clots.  You don't have to be an anti-vaxxer to be concerned.  Only when we had a case in Aust, did the matter get mentioned.  

The blood clot issue overseas has been regularly mentioned in the media, well before the Australian case.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Taking a long-haul flight also causes more risk of blood clots than the AZ vaccine.

Exactly, so why the fearmongering from the government.

If they did the same thing regarding the flight issue the airlines would either have had to provide more spacious seating in economy class or go broke. Instead the airlines got away with onboard warnings about drinking lots of water (but not providing it in sufficient quantities) and excercising regularly (impossible in a fully packed economy cabin).

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Looking at a few public surveys, there is one on nine msn, more against AstraZenaca than for it.

Not surprising. The government's scare campaign is obviously working. 

I'm having a bit of a problem with this whole blood clot thing. Apparently those over 55 are okay to take it but under 55 not, or are we just expendable? Studies have shown that the occurrence is rare so with such a small number why have they not identified the "common denominator" and how have they come to the conclusion that it's okay for 55 plus? Instead of scaring the crap out of people maybe give some explanation as to why it was suspended for the younger age groups. We are all big boys and girls and actual science would be helpful.

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm having a bit of a problem with this whole blood clot thing. Apparently those over 55 are okay to take it but under 55 not, or are we just expendable? Studies have shown that the occurrence is rare so with such a small number why have they not identified the "common denominator" and how have they come to the conclusion that it's okay for 55 plus? Instead of scaring the crap out of people maybe give some explanation as to why it was suspended for the younger age groups. We are all big boys and girls and actual science would be helpful.

I think that younger people (<50) are over-represented in the small group of people who have died.  So, the response is to vaccinate the younger group with a different vaccine.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/07/what-do-i-need-to-know-about-the-oxfordastrazeneca-vaccine

26 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine causes very rare blood clots, EU regulator says

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 5:02 PM, onlyslightlymad said:

The problem is that you can't use the six deaths as a Covid stat when you've been under lockdowns, distancing, masks and other mitigations.  The whole purpose of those procedures was to prevent deaths.  You could argue that six deaths shows how successful you have been.

Correct. The 'danger' with introducing control measures - social distancing, masks, restrictions, borders etc that are designed to reduce the incidence & spread of infection is that, when they work, a view can be formed that the measures were unnecessary in the first place. Particularly if it fits the persons point of view already.

I would much rather be here in Australia than anywhere else at this time, but really, apart from some travels to 'see the world' that would be true at any time. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Agree totally, at least two of the medications that I take every day has “blood clots” as a side effect (very rare of course!!) but the contraceptive pill has it listed as a high possibility ………… go figure, they are still lining up for this one 🙄

Serious side effects associated with hormonal contraceptives include: Blurred vision. Chest pain and an increased risk of blood clots, heart attack and stroke” 😳 

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I think that younger people (<50) are over-represented in the small group of people who have died.  So, the response is to vaccinate the younger group with a different vaccine.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/07/what-do-i-need-to-know-about-the-oxfordastrazeneca-vaccine

Interesting read, thanks for the link. It would be helpful if these findings were released by the Medical officers involved. I think that over the last few years "the Press" has lost much credibility with the general public and the young crowd who are most affected don't really listen to the news or health officials. Many go forward blissfully unaware until reality hits, then we get the "nobody told me". Right now in BC we are averaging 1000 cases a day and many of those are of "variants of concern" and it is hitting the younger demographic in a big way. The other day someone mentioned the Vancouver Canucks situation, as of today there are 25 members of the organization tested positive, 21 of those are players, These are fit young athletes and someone wasn't paying attention. There are reports that one player went to Whistler with his family (whistler has been a hot bed of infection for some time. One poor decision and you get a poor result. Last week there was a tightening of restrictions with indoor dining in restaurants and bars again being banned and the entire whistler resort is closed until some time in May. The province of Ontario has gone into a stay at home order with many businesses closed.

People are wanting the vaccine and waiting for it only to be told that one of them may kill you because of blood clots without making it clear how rare the clotting is or who may be more at risk and why. That sure gives me confidence in that vaccine.

Some of those people who are freaking out about the AstraZenica vaccine probably didn't think twice about flying international long distance before the pandemic.

Some of those people who are freaking out about the AstraZenica vaccine may be women happily taking their birth control pills every day.

Some of those people who are freaking out about the AstraZenica vaccine may be people who are on other medication and who have never checked what are the side effects of that medication.

Anyway the government claims it has secured more of the Pfizer vaccine but that won't arrive until the last quarter of the year.

I suspect all this has put the final nail in the coffin of the 21/22 cruuse season. 😥

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Interesting read, thanks for the link. It would be helpful if these findings were released by the Medical officers involved. I think that over the last few years "the Press" has lost much credibility with the general public and the young crowd who are most affected don't really listen to the news or health officials. Many go forward blissfully unaware until reality hits, then we get the "nobody told me". Right now in BC we are averaging 1000 cases a day and many of those are of "variants of concern" and it is hitting the younger demographic in a big way. The other day someone mentioned the Vancouver Canucks situation, as of today there are 25 members of the organization tested positive, 21 of those are players, These are fit young athletes and someone wasn't paying attention. There are reports that one player went to Whistler with his family (whistler has been a hot bed of infection for some time. One poor decision and you get a poor result. Last week there was a tightening of restrictions with indoor dining in restaurants and bars again being banned and the entire whistler resort is closed until some time in May. The province of Ontario has gone into a stay at home order with many businesses closed.

People are wanting the vaccine and waiting for it only to be told that one of them may kill you because of blood clots without making it clear how rare the clotting is or who may be more at risk and why. That sure gives me confidence in that vaccine.

I am a big believer in giving people the information that you have, even if you don't have all the answers.  Communication has been a key issue in the pandemic.  Most people agree that our PM, (whether one voted for her or not) is an excellent communicator and that has been a big part of the general compliance with our Covid restrictions.  People understood why they were being asked to make sacrifices and most accepted the decision to lockdown

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I am a big believer in giving people the information that you have, even if you don't have all the answers.  Communication has been a key issue in the pandemic.  Most people agree that our PM, (whether one voted for her or not) is an excellent communicator and that has been a big part of the general compliance with our Covid restrictions.  People understood why they were being asked to make sacrifices and most accepted the decision to lockdown

I agree but there are right ways and wrong ways of presenting the information. Unfortunately the Australian government tends to choose the wrong way more often than not, aided and abetted by certain media outlets who prefer sensationalism over presenting the facts clearly. Oh, the facts are there, buried deep within the articles but the what the headlines scream out is only a part of the story.

NZ is very lucky to have Jacinda as PM at this time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

NZ is very lucky to have Jacinda as PM at this time.

I agree NZ is very fortunate to have Jacinda as PM.  She is like a breath of fresh air politically.  

It is hard to believe she lead the minority party when she originally formed Government.  

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Some of those people who are freaking out about the AstraZenica vaccine probably didn't think twice about flying international long distance before the pandemic.

Some of those people who are freaking out about the AstraZenica vaccine may be women happily taking their birth control pills every day.

Some of those people who are freaking out about the AstraZenica vaccine may be people who are on other medication and who have never checked what are the side effects of that medication.

Anyway the government claims it has secured more of the Pfizer vaccine but that won't arrive until the last quarter of the year.

I suspect all this has put the final nail in the coffin of the 21/22 cruuse season. 😥

Why do you think it will be the last nail in the coffin?

Have I missed something about vaccination and cruising.

Cheers Carole

I have two doctors, husband and wife, living next door. They told me this evening, they doubt the Pfizer will come down here, their medical centre, the only vacc point does not have the super freezers required to store the Pfiezer. So under 50’s  down here  take the Astra Zenaca or nothing.

What a shambles.