CLIA calls on CDC to lift US Cruise Ban

kdr69

1 hour ago, AHS123 said:

You should see the video of a meeting yesterday of the major cruise industry leaders with the governor of Florida discussing how to get the CDC to back down. The attendees are sitting at a hollow square shape conference table with Christine Duffy having just 18 inches of distance between herself and the attendees on either side of her. The kicker is that no one seated at the conference table is wearing a mask. 

If Carnival wants the CDC to cooperate perhaps Christine Duffy and all in attendance should have shown they were willing to work with basic CDC guidelines for distancing and the wearing of masks. 

maybe they are all vaccinated

• Like 2

Vaccines are not for citizens only. Anyone in the US can be vaccinated when they meet the current criteria without regard to status. In Los Angeles they will send a paramedic to give a shot to anyone who cannot travel to a center for a jab. Could be in a hospital, nursing home, mental facility, jail, anyone who would not do well in a public clinic, or lacks transportation. I don't know why the crew at the Long Beach terminal would not be eligible.

26 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

maybe they are all vaccinated

Vaccinated people can pass the virus to others without themselves being sick. 

The video shows staffers wearing masks and there was press in the room. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruisemom2 said:

We gave up on the Publix site after trying it three or four times - it was frustrating.  However, we were able pre-register for the Orange County Convention Center (drive through) in advance, then when appointments opened up the next morning, both my husband and I had our appointments scheduled within two minutes for three days later.  We did the same for my FIL - it was well worth the 45 minute drive over.  They're super organized there.  We go back next Monday for our second shot.

Sanitas Medical Centers on Michigan in Kissimmee and Colonial in Orlando have J&J shots everyday. I called and made an appt for the next day. While I was there I asked if my wife could walk in and they said YES. Both of us vaccinated with only one day of waiting.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Floriduh said:

Sanitas Medical Centers on Michigan in Kissimmee and Colonial in Orlando have J&J shots everyday. I called and made an appt for the next day. While I was there I asked if my wife could walk in and they said YES. Both of us vaccinated with only one day of waiting.

We can relate to your joy and relief. It was reassuring to us when the Pfizer vaccine became readily available in our city. Out of curiosity I dug out my old Department of Defense Immunizations Record this morning. Dad was a navy doctor with six kids and we were his military dependents. I was given 6 doses of the polio vaccine over 8 years as a child and glad of it. We will get through this together.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, crazy4themouse said:

I'm in Texas, and the vaccines are available to any adult now of any age, as of yesterday. Unfortunately, that's not because the governor's doing some bang-up job -- It's because so many tinfoil-hat-wearing Texans don't want the vaccine. Our great state is near the bottom of the pile in vaccinations, at only 13% with at least one dose and only 6.5% fully vaccinated. Supply is going to exceed demand in the very near future.

It is slower than some states at current levels it will be another 45 days before Texas feels any effect of the vaccines and  after Jul 4th before Texas hits herd immunity.  And that is depending on vaccinations continuing at present rate.  ( which isnt that quick)

2 hours ago, AHS123 said:

Are you sure about that?  Studies are showing that statement may be untrue. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AHS123 said:

1 hour ago, mredandchis said:

Are you sure about that?  Studies are showing that statement may be untrue. 

The more accurate statement a month ago would have been "it is unknown whether vaccinated people can still get infected enough to pass the virus on to others, so it is best to assume that you can".

Today, there seems to be growing consensus that indeed, if vaccinated, the likelihood of passing on the virus to others (should one have a low grade infection despite the vaccine) is very, very low.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Moviela said:

Vaccines are not for citizens only. Anyone in the US can be vaccinated when they meet the current criteria without regard to status.

I believe the requirement is to still be a resident (regardless of immigration status, evidently) of whatever state you are getting the vaccine.  Cruise ship crews are not residents of the US.

4 hours ago, Moviela said:

I don't know why the crew at the Long Beach terminal would not be eligible.

The workers at the terminal who are residents of California would be eligible.  The cruise ships crews are not residents of CA.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Today, there seems to be growing consensus that indeed, if vaccinated, the likelihood of passing on the virus to others (should one have a low grade infection despite the vaccine) is very, very low.

Very true, studies from Israel are bearing that out.  Also as with that cruise meeting mentioned earlier , if all persons in a group are vaccinated , the likelihood of any person in the group having the virus is also very very low.  That is a double whammy against covid.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mredandchis said:

Very true, studies from Israel are bearing that out.  Also as with that cruise meeting mentioned earlier , if all persons in a group are vaccinated , the likelihood of any person in the group having the virus is also very very low.  That is a double whammy against covid.  

Not all people present were members of the group, e.g. the media who were there covering the event. 

12 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Not all people present were members of the group, e.g. the media who were there covering the event. 

That is nice, but then the media wasn't in the group and was standing or sitting back from the meeting, Hence 6 foot social distancing at a minumum? 

3 hours ago, Floriduh said:

We actually could have made same day appointments at the Orange County Convention Center but we had our grandsons coming for the weekend so we waited until the next day (Friday) to make our appointments for Monday.  Brevard County doesn't have anything quite that organized yet.

3 hours ago, mredandchis said:

It is slower than some states at current levels it will be another 45 days before Texas feels any effect of the vaccines and  after Jul 4th before Texas hits herd immunity.  And that is depending on vaccinations continuing at present rate.  ( which isnt that quick)

I have my doubts about Texas.

2 hours ago, mredandchis said:

That is nice, but then the media wasn't in the group and was standing or sitting back from the meeting, Hence 6 foot social distancing at a minumum? 

Stop being logical....lol.  It isn't appreciated by some.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, AHS123 said:

The video shows staffers wearing masks and there was press in 

8 hours ago, AHS123 said:

if everyone is vaccinated...  From cdc website

Screenshot_20210331-150648_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I believe the requirement is to still be a resident (regardless of immigration status, evidently) of whatever state you are getting the vaccine.  Cruise ship crews are not residents of the US.

The workers at the terminal who are residents of California would be eligible.  The cruise ships crews are not residents of CA.

Not in California, they don't ask about any of that. The idea is to get shots into arms and not worry about all the categories/labels. You can get the shot even without ID. If you have an appointment or show up to a mass vaccination site, you WILL get the shot. A lot of wealthy from other countries are coming to the US for shots. If they can do it, the crew can too. They sail from US ports and the ships sailing from the USA are mostly US residents. It's in our national security interests. 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Not sure what requirement that is. I was vaccinated in a state where I don't reside. They didn't bat an eye. I think they asked for an id with the first shot and insurance information. They even notified my regular doctor in my home state.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I have my doubts about Texas.

Debby downer from SNL as usual

Why always see the down side. Texas rates of death and hospitalizations are falling in spite of the open border. Despite predictions rates would rise. Good numbers continue. Anyone who wants the vaccine now can get it. Open to all over 16. 

Some cant stand good numbers, they always see gloom around the corner. 

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Why always see the down side. Texas rates of death and hospitalizations are falling in spite of the open border. Despite predictions rates would rise. Good numbers continue. Anyone who wants the vaccine now can get it. Open to all over 16. 

That's the problem - too many Texans don't want it. Texas is near the bottom of the barrel for getting shots in arms. Herd immunity can't be reached without some attitude change. Time for Texans to step up and be team players. That's what patriots do.

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Well not sure what she might have meant,  and your numbers in general isn't bad.  My grandbabies live near Ft Worth so been watching Texas and the vaccines don't seem to be flying off the shelf as is the rule so far in other states.  Just watching it unfold it seems like there may be a lot of vaccine hesitancy in the Lone Star State. It seems like the different Governors will include a new group when the demand drops.  YAll are at 13 plus percent of pop fully loaded and most other states are in the 15 percent area. Then you got others that have topped 20 percent like New Mexico.  It may be a struggle for the Gov to sell them to enough people to reach the herd immunity levels.  The last couple days have inched up slightly.

16 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Not sure what requirement that is. I was vaccinated in a state where I don't reside. They didn't bat an eye. I think they asked for an id with the first shot and insurance information. They even notified my regular doctor in my home state.

Here in FL we were getting a lot of "Vaccine tourists" which annoyed locals fighting for spots, so you have to show proof of FL residency (DL, or lease/mortgage/deed plus a utility bill or similar, IIRC).  My niece is living here short term, so she had to gather up some paperwork to get her shot since her DL is not FL-issued.

I guess CA can afford to give it to everyone, regardless of residency, thanks to your taxes... (semi-kidding...expensive to live there, dang.)