DeSantis and FL looking to legally reopen cruising

BoozinCroozin

10 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Is it possible for enough paper to be made to record these profiles so that they could be printed and published as a book?  And, is there a bookshelf made that could hold the weight of such a book before it collapsed?  

One word reply----digital.

12 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The CDC did NOT just announce an extension of the No Sail Order. The No Sail Order expired in October 2020 . It was not extended, it was replaced by the Conditional Sailing Order, which extends to Nov. 1, 2021.

The recent reports in the media of the CDC extending either the No Sail Order or the Conditional Sail Order are simply not true. The Nov. 1 expiration date has been in place since the Conditional Sail Order was implemented last October.

And we all must remember that the cruise lines have not responded to the data requested in the CSR.  They are obfuscating the issue hoping it will go away.  As many have suggested, likely because they don't want the additional oversight.  Businesses that self-regulate are disasters.

On 3/27/2021 at 6:00 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

Finally someone stepping up to the plate. This is what is necessary. I hope they file a Federal suit to get an injunction on the No Sail Order. It is necessary, needed, and required. The CDC needs to be put on the spot as to why they are the only Department not following science, fact, and statistics. Cruising has continued for many months without issues of covid. The protocols are proven effective. The data proves the CDC has no clue about the virus and all protocols they suggest has done nothing to curb the spread. Social distancing, masks, washing hands, all o fit has had no effect on the numbers. If they are so certain of their convictions, they need to implement a No School Order. That's right, no in person school at any level. Let's see the CDC put their money where their mouth is. Shutdown all public and private schools from the day care level all the way through the collegiate level. Shutter all campuses and buildings, end all flights and shutdown all airports, and end all forms of mass transits (buses, subways, street cars, railways). Have the CDC shutdown everything until THEY decide anything should be open. Only then would you see the outcry to the ignorance of this organization.

Panties in a bunch?  Haven't had your daily mega-fix of booze?  You are aware its much less expensive to buy at the local booze store than to imbibe to unconsciousness on a cruise ship...

• Like 2

Not sure if this has  been printed on here.

This is from the Miami Herald Saturday. Don't see how The lines can get started if crew members are still testing positive.

The CDC first banned cruises in U.S. waters in March 2020 amid COVID-19 outbreaks on multiple ships. After extensive lobbying from the industry, it lifted its no-sail order on October 30, replacing it with the conditional sail order. In November, the CDC added instructions for lab testing, and in December it expanded the list of tests cruise companies can use

Since then, crew members have continued to test positive for the virus at sea. Thirty-three cruise ships in U.S. waters have reported crew members testing positive for COVID-19 or having COVID-like illness (clinically compatible without laboratory confirmation) since the start of the year, according to CDC documents obtained by the Herald.

Edited by KEN W
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Thanks, Ken.  If cruise lines cannot keep their crews safe while in isolation they are definitely not ready to welcome paying passengers on board.

ya know for a guy with short legs , you sure get around a lot. 

4 hours ago, KEN W said:

crew members have continued to test positive for the virus at sea.

How can this be?  Is it because when the ship comes into a port for supplies, the crew is coming into contact with citizens of that port who are carrying the virus?  The article does specify which ports, but I assume the ports are in Florida.  If so, then Florida remains on my no-visit list for the time being, even though I am fully vaccinated.  

You evidently found the story by Talor Dolven of the Herald. I was surprised by that statement also. How can these ship's crews get Covid. 33 is quite a few. But evidently that's what the Herald got from the CDC.

1 hour ago, KEN W said:

But evidently that's what the Herald got from the CDC.

I do find it interesting that the UK is opening up for cruising this summer.  I wonder what analysis the UK equivalent of the CDC made to allow this restart?  I am not saying it's good or bad, I would simply like to understand the rationale used by two comparable government agencies to come up with different conclusions.

With an increase in positive tests and an increase in deaths will lead to another wave. Of course if the old folks in Florida could behave themselves for a few more weeks, we could get closer to normal sooner rather than later.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

I do find it interesting that the UK is opening up for cruising this summer.  I wonder what analysis the UK equivalent of the CDC made to allow this restart?  I am not saying it's good or bad, I would simply like to understand the rationale used by two comparable government agencies to come up with different conclusions.

There has been no decision to allow a restart. the decision will be made probably next month when it is decided if foreign holidays will be allowed this summer. The UK based cruises being offered don't call at any foreign ports or in many cases any ports at all, being scenic cruising only. It appears they will be for UK citizens or residents only and will require all passengers to have verifiable proof of vaccination and appropriate travel insurance. The ultimate decision will be taken by the government after a government taskforce decides its advice on the 12th of April. Of course cruises within the UK or its territorial waters are not a foreign holiday which may mean they could go ahead even if foreign holidays are not allowed.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, davecttr said:

The UK based cruises being offered don't call at any foreign ports or in many cases any ports at all,

Thanks so much!  The foreign port challenge is certainly something for the US CDC to consider.  I guess the Mein Schiff example isn't 100% equivalent as both Germany and Spain are part of the EU.

And, remember, the citizens of Key West voted to severely restrict the size of ship that can call there AND severely reduced the number of cruise tourists to set foot on Key West.  Did this in the November Election.   DeSantis is trying to find a way to override the will of the citizens and force them to take whatever size ship and however many cruisers want to call...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2021 at 10:28 PM, Hlitner said:

But I do agree with you that Florida cannot buck the CDC order.  However, Florida can go into Federal court and seek an injunction against the CDC's shut down.

I'm no legal expert, and I don't know the answer to this question, but would the State of Florida have standing before the court as the injured party, or would such a lawsuit need to come from the cruise lines themselves?

Florida is losing economic activity due to cruises being shut down. Maybe that makes them enough of an injured party to file such a suit. I really have no idea.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Thanks so much!  The foreign port challenge is certainly something for the US CDC to consider.  I guess the Mein Schiff example isn't 100% equivalent as both Germany and Spain are part of the EU.

It might be easier for TUI to base their Mein Schiff operations in the Canary Islands as they can fly their own aircraft, TUI airlines is part of the Group, and they can have cruise only passengers on the planes. The TUI UK operation with Marella cruises have similar flights and also cruise/hotel flights

On 3/28/2021 at 10:28 PM, Hlitner said:

However, Florida can go into Federal court and seek an injunction against the CDC's shut down.

While not a legal expert, what I have read on this subject lately is that the states can sue the federal government only in cases where the states feel that the federal government is restricting rights granted to the states by the federal government.  Health clearance of ships into US waters is not one of those rights, so I don't see that Florida would even get an injunction.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, iancal said:

It is very easy to commence a lawsuit.  It will get lots of attention.  That is what it is basically about IMHO.    When the suit is dismissed it makes page 7.

And it costs absolutely nothing to threaten to sue, and you still get the publicity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1