1st Cruise I have ever Canceled.. How long for a Refund?

brt49

We booked a November 2021 Cruise way back in December of 2019.

Island Princess - 14 Day Rome to Rome

It was booked through a Big Box Store (C_stc_).

We canceled on 3/24/21 and got a confirmation email that the cruise was canceled.

Princess still has this as an active reservation.

How long do I wait before calling about the refund?

Likely no refund...instead they will issue a Future Cruise Credit.  Did you book with a refundable or non-refundable deposit?

Frankly I have not kept up with all of this stuff, but I know that waiting for the cruise line to cancel the cruise offers far more likelihood of a refund than if the customer cancels.

Finally, you need to ask these questions of your travel agent.  They are charged with customer care, not the cruise line.

Edited by thinfool

If Princess cancelled, I’ve found the refund takes longer but if you cancel I suspect it could take a week or two. I haven’t cancelled a cruise without rebooking immediately (reusing the deposit) but I have cancelled specialty dining and found that process to take a week. I was pleasantly surprised at how fast the refund occurred.

Since you went through a TA, it’s in their hands. How quickly they notified Princess and then the Princess delay time.

I would give it another week before I called to ask.

Good luck!  

Pick a number from 14 to 100.  That's the number of days it may take.  Princess has been better lately about refunds but still a horror story or two if you read through the posts here.

Important to make sure your TA sent it through (I realize you mentioned you have a confirmation email but unsure about who the confirmation is from) since Princess will likely not discuss it with you directly. 

I received my refund back to my credit card in 6 working days from the time I cancelled.  I booked directly with Princess and my cruise was scheduled for May and knew that it would probably be cancelled (it was)  but didn't want to wait the many weeks it takes for a refund if Princess cancelled the cruise.  I also didn't need any additional FCC.  The cabin I booked immediately showed as available and it was removed from my personalizer the next day.

I would call the Big Box store as CineGraphic has suggested.

• Like 1

Your TA (same as mine), has instructions when you call their number. If I were you, I would talk to a real person and say you want deposit refund. Also, based on my past experience, it may remain active on your Princess account for what may seem like an eternity.

Your first task is to make certain that the T.A. actually put the cancellation through to Princess. Nothing will happen until this is accomplished. We called our T.A. and cancelled a few cruises in late 2020. The T.A. responded very quickly. Within a day or so we had a PDF copy of the Princess cancellation notice in our e-mail folder, the booking had been removed the cruise personlizer and the FCD deposits had been returned to our accounts. For an actual return of deposit funds that could take 6 weeks or more. Refunds may come as a credit to your credit card or a check in the mail. Checks in the mail are sent in plain envelopes looking more like junk mail than a check. 

We use the big box TA.  I called and talked with a representative and told them that I wanted to cancel our cruise as I knew it was going to be cancelled by Princess.  We only had a $200 deposit on the reservation.  Within a couple of days, we received a cancellation notice from our big box TA (nothing from Princess) indicating that the reservation was cancelled and the date of cancellation.  Our refund was credited back to our CC within a few weeks.