Phase 2 CDC....Here We Go!

Jadn13

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

8 weeks+ past 2nd shot (Pfizer) - still wearing masks when we do happen to go out - which isn't very often these days

stay safe 😷

Don't worry about wearing a mask, go out and resume your pre-Covid life.   The mask isn't a big deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Things in Michigan are just fine and is a good example of learning how to live with the virus.  Most of the elderly and vulnerable have been vaccinated and the death rate is way down.  Mandates don't really help, look at Florida, Texas vs New Jersey or Europe.   The spread in Michigan is largely from school children spreading it in extracurricular activities and then infecting people at home.  No amount of restaurant closings or other restrictions will help that.  Protect yourself and don't worry about trying to control others. 

Not according to most news reports......Michigan is far from doing OK with Covid infections.....https://abcnews.go.com/Health/michigan-reports-highest-number-covid-19-cases-december/story?id=76856535

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, broberts said:

Since that requirement is trivial to implement I don't see how any rational analysis can suggest the requirement as an attempt to destroy cruising.

Please explain your definition of trivial...

Bob

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Really???!!!???

As I posted before, divide the terminal in two halves.  Use two gangways, one from the port and one from the ship.  Disembarking goes to the dock level gangway, and into the customs and baggage part of the terminal, and then directly out (I know the Manhattan terminal is this way), while the check in is in the other half of the terminal, goes up to the "skyway" and on the ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

As I posted before, divide the terminal in two halves.  Use two gangways, one from the port and one from the ship.  Disembarking goes to the dock level gangway, and into the customs and baggage part of the terminal, and then directly out (I know the Manhattan terminal is this way), while the check in is in the other half of the terminal, goes up to the "skyway" and on the ship.

I'm interested in your take on my prior post at #67 on this thread.

Thanks

2 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Not according to most news reports......Michigan is far from doing OK with Covid infections.....https://abcnews.go.com/Health/michigan-reports-highest-number-covid-19-cases-december/story?id=76856535

Fake news.  Sure believe them and not someone who lives here.  Michigan is learning how to live with the virus.  Deaths are way down as well as serious illness.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I'm interested in your take on my prior post at #67 on this thread.

Thanks

The requirements listed in these technical instructions will remain in force not only during simulated cruises, but during "restricted" revenue cruises as well.  Once the Conditional Sail order is allowed to expire, then these requirements may or may not remain.  Remember, when the CDC extended the NSO in Aug/Sept, they stated that since they had held a "request for information" and had a waiting period after that, that the requirements in the NSO, which were merely transferred to the CSO, could become permanent regulations without further debate or notice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great news a few minutes ago saying that the CDC has issued a conditional start of cruising in July from US ports. Still a lot detail to consider and work to be done, but we have pulled down our suitcases and keep our fingers crossed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grego said:

Great news a few minutes ago saying that the CDC has issued a conditional start of cruising in July from US ports. Still a lot detail to consider and work to be done, but we have pulled down our suitcases and keep our fingers crossed.

Source?

1 minute ago, Grego said:

EXCELLENT - link ?

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I get the concept.  I am most familiar with Pier 2 in Port Everglades (FL).  There are two gangways that run from mid-ship decks and join the building on the second floor about 40-50 feet apart in the same "room".  I agree that disembarking pax could be directed to dock level (similar to B2B'ers heading ashore), and then walk across the pier into the terminal building, bypassing the overhead gangways. 

But the building itself it not completely sealed into compartments and air flow goes in between.  Also, ground personnel go back and forth between the various areas (baggage claim/customs, departure area, security, check-in, waiting areas, etc).  There are departing passengers on both levels of the building from the point they arrive until boarding the ship. 

I am not sure this setup would adhere to what CDC is expecting from their rather strict sounding requirement.  I also think that Princess and other lines would not be in favor of modifying terminal buildings for a relatively short-term solution (reasonable to expect if this 12-hr rule stands, that it would be temporary).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Grego said:

April 1 was 3 days ago.  Not sure where this is coming from.  CLIA was/is lobbying for that date and that is about as far as things have gone AFA Google search indicates.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Fake news.  Sure believe them and not someone who lives here.  Michigan is learning how to live with the virus.  Deaths are way down as well as serious illness.

8,400 cases in one day does not seem like a good place to me

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

8,400 cases in one day does not seem like a good place to me

That's actually about twice as high as reported on the Michigan website for 4/2 and deaths were reported to be 9 compared to about 150 per day during earlier peaks.  Like I said fake news.  Sure there are a lot of people still getting the virus but they are surviving.  Covid will be here for a long time, we need to learn how to live with it.   We have vaccinated the vulnerable and learned how to treat the virus.  I'm truly sorry for those who have contracted the virus, but the country can no longer stay locked up in our houses, we need to move on.  Those who have been vaccinated then they should feel free to resume their normal lives.  We need to learn how to live with the virus.

1 hour ago, stevenr597 said:

The Brand New Carnival Terminal is all ready to go at Port Canaveral.  It will be the first terminal, I believe, in the U.S. to service LPG Cruise Ships. 

The terminal does not handle LNG ships, there will be a tug/barge or LNG tanker that will bring the LNG from Savanah, GA from which the ships will bunker.

But, it does meet the CDC requirements, in that ground level is disembarking and second level is embarking.

Edited by chengkp75

1 hour ago, Grego said:

when is your test cruise that you are going to be on to test protocols scheduled ? - are there still any openings ?

17 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

That's actually about twice as high as reported on the Michigan website for 4/2 and deaths were reported to be 9 compared to about 150 per day during earlier peaks.  Like I said fake news.  Sure there are a lot of people still getting the virus but they are surviving.  Covid will be here for a long time, we need to learn how to live with it.   We have vaccinated the vulnerable and learned how to treat the virus.  I'm truly sorry for those who have contracted the virus, but the country can no longer stay locked up in our houses, we need to move on.  Those who have been vaccinated then they should feel free to resume their normal lives.  We need to learn how to live with the virus.

Fake news on the State's own website?

Coronavirus - Coronavirus (michigan.gov)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

I get the concept.  I am most familiar with Pier 2 in Port Everglades (FL).  There are two gangways that run from mid-ship decks and join the building on the second floor about 40-50 feet apart in the same "room".  I agree that disembarking pax could be directed to dock level (similar to B2B'ers heading ashore), and then walk across the pier into the terminal building, bypassing the overhead gangways. 

But the building itself it not completely sealed into compartments and air flow goes in between.  Also, ground personnel go back and forth between the various areas (baggage claim/customs, departure area, security, check-in, waiting areas, etc).  There are departing passengers on both levels of the building from the point they arrive until boarding the ship. 

I am not sure this setup would adhere to what CDC is expecting from their rather strict sounding requirement.  I also think that Princess and other lines would not be in favor of modifying terminal buildings for a relatively short-term solution (reasonable to expect if this 12-hr rule stands, that it would be temporary).

I don't believe that co-mingled air will be a problem, as the study by RCG showed that the transmission of covid by HVAC systems is negligible, and the CDC has never required cleaning or modifying HVAC systems on ships, even ones that have had outbreaks.

As for personnel and passenger cross traffic, that would be the area of most concern, and would require changes in operations, but I don't see that there would need to be a 12 hour window between disembarking and embarking.

As for the permanence, as I noted above, these CSO requirements could become permanent, and this type of set-up might mitigate noro as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I don't believe that co-mingled air will be a problem, as the study by RCG showed that the transmission of covid by HVAC systems is negligible, and the CDC has never required cleaning or modifying HVAC systems on ships, even ones that have had outbreaks.

As for personnel and passenger cross traffic, that would be the area of most concern, and would require changes in operations, but I don't see that there would need to be a 12 hour window between disembarking and embarking.

As for the permanence, as I noted above, these CSO requirements could become permanent, and this type of set-up might mitigate noro as well.

I understand the Noro point, but Covid-19 is primarily transmitted in the air and not from surfaces.  I too doubt there needs to be 12 hours for anything in the air to settle and be of no concern.  Nothing is ever perfect, including the passengers.

4 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

Please explain your definition of trivial...

Bob

Trivial as in does not require major construction. Can be accomplished with minimal expenditure in a couple of days.

In fact most of us are already familiar with how this can be achieved. We have encountered it in most caribbean ports. One gangway out, another in.

In ports with terminals that have 2nd storey gangways, use those for boarding and have departing passengers use the lower gangways and walk across to the terminal baggage and border control area.

There would be a need to insure separation within buildings. That should mostly be a matter of locking doors. Possibly some interior walls may be necessary. The most complex piece might be ventilation.