April 2nd CDC Technical Guidance

kelleherdl

1 hour ago, BSR said:

Thanks for posting the link.

1 hour ago, kelleherdl said:

Here is the next installment of technical guidance from the CDC on the no-sail order.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24702-cdc-releases-technical-instructions-for-cruise-ships-to-sail-again.html

Since the very first thing mentioned is that all port personnel must be vaccinated, I guess Florida is out as an embarkation port. This sort of mandate is 100% opposite of what Governor DeSanits stands for.

Since all port personnel must be vaccinated, I guess Florida is out as Governor DeSantis is against all mandates of that sort or vaccination passports.

23 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

This is the technical guidance that the cruise lines have said they need in order to proceed to the next phase of the conditional sailing framework/order.

It makes it hard for them to proceed when no dates are given. Without dates this is hollow data.  I think CDC is bowing to pressure but holding the reins tightly. 

Edited by cruisegirl
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Since all port personnel must be vaccinated, I guess Florida is out as Governor DeSantis is against all mandates of that sort or vaccination passports.

Ha! I predict a reversal on that. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, cruisegirl said:

Ha! I predict a reversal on that. 

I'm not sure I understand you as I can interpret your post two different ways. The CDC could reverse, or Florida could reverse.

46 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I'm not sure I understand you as I can interpret your post two different ways. The CDC could reverse, or Florida could reverse.

Sorry I should have been clearer. I meant Florida will reverse when they see it is to their advantage. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Actually, the CDC states that all port personnel, passengers and crew must be vaccinated.

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

This is the technical guidance that the cruise lines have said they need in order to proceed to the next phase of the conditional sailing framework/order.

I understand but it seems like the same requirements they already disclosed months ago with the exception of discussing vaccinations.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cruisegirl said:

It makes it hard for them to proceed when no dates are given. Without dates this is hollow data.  I think CDC is bowing to pressure but holding the reins tightly. 

What dates?  Dates for compliance?  That is not the CDC's concern, it is the cruise lines' concern.  These technical instructions are merely somewhat more detailed descriptions of the requirements outlined in the CSO.  Nearly every paragraph in these instructions require that the "agreements" outline procedures to meet the requirements.  This tells the what is needed, the how is still left to the cruise lines and the various entities (state and local port authorities, state and local health departments, and the actual service providers) to delineate in detail.  This is what the cruise lines could have been doing months ago, since these requirements (with the exception of the vaccination part) were outlined back a year ago.

The CDC doesn't care when, or even if ever, a cruise line meets these requirements, just that they must meet them before cruising from the US again.

The real key will be how soon the cruise lines can get these agreements in place, which would show how much pre-planning they have done, or whether they have been sitting on their hands as it appears.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

What dates?  Dates for compliance?  That is not the CDC's concern, it is the cruise lines' concern.  These technical instructions are merely somewhat more detailed descriptions of the requirements outlined in the CSO.  Nearly every paragraph in these instructions require that the "agreements" outline procedures to meet the requirements.  This tells the what is needed, the how is still left to the cruise lines and the various entities (state and local port authorities, state and local health departments, and the actual service providers) to delineate in detail.  This is what the cruise lines could have been doing months ago, since these requirements (with the exception of the vaccination part) were outlined back a year ago.

The CDC doesn't care when, or even if ever, a cruise line meets these requirements, just that they must meet them before cruising from the US again.

The real key will be how soon the cruise lines can get these agreements in place, which would show how much pre-planning they have done, or whether they have been sitting on their hands as it appears.

Obviously, the part about vaccines is different since they are now provisionally approved and becoming more widespread.

Isn't there one other specific difference, the 12 hour turnaround and using different gangplanks for embarkation and disembarkation?

This document is almost laughable.  I would guess that Dr. Walensky lit a fire under somebody's butt in her agency and they quickly spit out this document without much thought.   I like the part where they say "This article will be updated shortly with more information" which is kind of like the Oct Framework where they promised technical information.   But the big takeaway is that there is the mention of vaccines as part of any startup strategy.   This is the first time the CDC has acknowledged vaccines in this context.  If I were to guess, after months of delay the CDC will eventually bless the strategy being used by RCI and Celebrity for their Nassau and St Maarten start-ups which use a combination mandatory vaccination policy for those over 18 coupled with testing.

Using different gangplanks is a bit silly and I imagine a few highly paid technocrats spend months thinking up that idea.   The question I have been asking since last November about how ships should deal with vertical transportation (techno speak for elevators) is still not addressed.   Of course the obvious solution is that if everyone on the ship has been vaccinated then social distancing in elevators (and elsewhere) is not a big issue.  But if they stick with the idea that those under 18 do not need to be vaccinated, this is going to be the weakest link in any plan.  Crystal Cruise Lines and Viking Ocean Cruises deal with this by allowing no kids.

Hank

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

This document is almost laughable.  I would guess that Dr. Walensky lit a fire under somebody's butt in her agency and they quickly spit out this document without much thought.   I like the part where they say "This article will be updated shortly with more information" which is kind of like the Oct Framework where they promised technical information.   But the big takeaway is that there is the mention of vaccines as part of any startup strategy.   This is the first time the CDC has acknowledged vaccines in this context.  If I were to guess, after months of delay the CDC will eventually bless the strategy being used by RCI and Celebrity for their Nassau and St Maarten start-ups which use a combination mandatory vaccination policy for those over 18 coupled with testing.

Using different gangplanks is a bit silly and I imagine a few highly paid technocrats spend months thinking up that idea.   The question I have been asking since last November about how ships should deal with vertical transportation (techno speak for elevators) is still not addressed.   Of course the obvious solution is that if everyone on the ship has been vaccinated then social distancing in elevators (and elsewhere) is not a big issue.  But if they stick with the idea that those under 18 do not need to be vaccinated, this is going to be the weakest link in any plan.  Crystal Cruise Lines and Viking Ocean Cruises deal with this by allowing no kids.

Hank

Cruise with Ben and David talk about just this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CnUrnjrBlM

• Like 1

Meanwhile airports are recovering and more and more pax are flying......

TSA figures for the last ten 10 days........

Date 2021 Traveler Throughput 2020 Traveler Throughput 2019 Traveler Throughput
4/2/2021 1,580,785 129,763 2,476,884
4/1/2021 1,562,239 124,021 2,411,500
3/31/2021 1,278,113 136,023 2,151,626
3/30/2021 1,130,520 146,348 2,026,256
3/29/2021 1,406,234 154,080 2,360,053
3/28/2021 1,574,228 180,002 2,510,294
3/27/2021 1,408,198 184,027 2,172,920
3/26/2021 1,535,156 199,644 2,538,384
3/25/2021 1,444,744 203,858 2,487,162
3/24/2021 1,164,954 239,234 2,273,811
3/23/2021 1,076,453 279,018 2,151,913
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

This document is almost laughable.  I would guess that Dr. Walensky lit a fire under somebody's butt in her agency and they quickly spit out this document without much thought.   I like the part where they say "This article will be updated shortly with more information" which is kind of like the Oct Framework where they promised technical information. 

I could not agree more.

After all, the CDC was right about the post-Thanksgiving spike in infections and the post-Christmas / New Year's spike. (They were so wrong, I ask you to ask for proof. The graphs are delightful.)

• Like 2

It's tough to open a country even when rules are mandated and every one is one the same page .

Even tougher when there are 50+ identities making their own rules for reopening.. not coordinating, not caring what others are doing.

Joseph 

Simplified instructions from the CDC on how the cruise industry can resume sailing are in the document. It includes a graphic to explain the phased approach. 

Edited by Heartgrove