Twirling napkins in the dining room post Covid.

asalligo

I thought this was a particularly poignant visual in "The Last Cruise" documentary in that right after announcing that a positive Covid patient had been onboard with them and showing the extra sanitizing of the ship that resulted from this news that they cut to a video of spinning napkins in the dining room that same evening. I would love to be on the very first cruise back to see how Carnival handles this. Will they announce ahead of time not to do this and quickly stop anyone who tries or will they ignore this tradition and allow it to continue.  I remember the first time I experienced this and saw actual food flying off people dirty napkins across the room and thinking who thought this was a good idea.  

image.png

• Like 1

I mean, it has never bothered me and still won't.  I have seen a kid dip a spoon in mash potatoes at the buffet before and lick it (yes I told someone but how often don't you see the stuff that happens?).  Will we stop cheering and singing public?  Laughing at comedy clubs?  No more handshakes and hugs? Getting our own drinks at restaurant stations?    I showed up to daycare once when my son was 2, another kid had his hand in his mouth.  I think all builds up our immunity....We are all going to be sick once they set us free.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, asalligo said:

I remember the first time I experienced this and saw actual food flying off people dirty napkins across the room and thinking who thought this was a good idea.  

Describe the flying food, please. Was it from the appetizer course, the entree, the dessert or a combination of all? Did the person twirling the napkin have more than one entree? If it was elegant night and the twirler had more than one lobster tail they could take an eye out! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, AHS123 said:

Describe the flying food, please. Was it from the appetizer course, the entree, the dessert or a combination of all? Did the person twirling the napkin have more than one entree? If it was elegant night and the twirler had more than one lobster tail they could take an eye out! 

might have been the chocolate melting cake 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, joeyancho said:

If everyone is vaccinated,  it's not an issue.  

11 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Again and because we are all vaccinated Covid will not be taking a vacation. It will be with us folks.

According to Arnold Donald, nothing is set in stone yet regarding vaccinations being required on Carnival.  Even though Royal and Celebrity are mandating it for adults and NCL is requiring 100% on board including kids and even though the CDC recommends it, Carnival has not made up their mind yet.

My theory is they will drag their feet until the CDC let's them embark from the US and they will keep their fingers crossed that the country may have hit herd immunity by then.  Carnival will only make a decision in favor of vaccines if they are forced into a corner to make that decision.

13 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Again and because we are all vaccinated Covid will not be taking a vacation. It will be with us folks.

Nope, it will not.

if there is enough immunity, the virus will die out. But for that, we need a complete population to be vaccinated, and it will take some time. In any case, when vaccinated, Covid19 is no more serious than a cold or light flue and should not be the reason anymore for big brother restrictions.

• Like 4

I was never a fan of "showtime."  To avoid it is one of the reasons I generally go to the lido buffet for supper.  If it were to stop, for whatever reason, I might eat in the MDR more.  But I know others like it, and if it continues, I'm not put out by going to the buffet.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Despegue said:

Nope, it will not.

if there is enough immunity, the virus will die out. But for that, we need a complete population to be vaccinated, and it will take some time. In any case, when vaccinated, Covid19 is no more serious than a cold or light flue and should not be the reason anymore for big brother restrictions.

Die out?  You realize the black plague is still around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, naxer said:

I was never a fan of "showtime."  To avoid it is one of the reasons I generally go to the lido buffet for supper.  If it were to stop, for whatever reason, I might eat in the MDR more.  But I know others like it, and if it continues, I'm not put out by going to the buffet.  

There is less of a chance in YTD of seeing the floor show. We like the buffet some nights but we don't avoid the MDR now because of showtime with YTD.

• Like 1

I personally think cruise lines are going to use this time to make a few changes in cruising. Not sure cruising will ever be what it once was and nothing to do with Covid but changes they have maybe wanted to implement in the past but didn’t because of the pushback that would of come. 
Time will tell.

Carnival will take a lot of precautions in the future even if everyone is vaccinated. It is in their best interest as a business to do so. They will want to eliminate as much covid contact and areas of criticism as possible by the CDC. The Carnival we knew before the pandemic will not exist. The new Carnival will look a lot like the other cruise lines as far as entertainment and protocals. Over time the cruise lines will begin to differentiate themselves. The FUN ship will be just a fun cruise, like all the others for awhile.

• Like 2